2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

eric :)

Let me remind everyone that RunningAHEAD.com has a Terms of Service. Some of the languages used in this thread are in violation. You can be nice, or you can rant about the unfairness of my actions on some other site. I'm unlocking this thread so training discussions can resume. As Trent wrote, COVID stuff in the other thread.

eric Smile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

This is for marathon training. Anyone training for a marathon? Anyone? What's the next marathon anyone has on their schedule? Mine is Boston 2021 unless I decide to fun run CIM for once which is in California and is about 4 months away.

It gives me great pleasure to announce that I’m running the Bewl Water Marathon on the 19th September. It’s a 2 lap trail race with something like 2500 elevation gain. 🕺

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It gives me great pleasure to announce that I’m running the Bewl Water Marathon on the 19th September. It’s a 2 lap trail race with something like 2500 elevation gain. 🕺

That is an amazing name for a race.  Does it have a steep downhill section called "the flush"?  If so, that would make it better.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Magrawlas is running the Wellington Marathon on August 30 and I'm running the Rotorua Marathon on Sept 26.  At the moment here in New Zealand we've only got cases at the border in managed isolation so hopefully it stays that way.

Good. I was recently reading about Melbourne and their second wave of lockdown. Hopefully it doesn't reach over to you.

EDIT:

Maybe this fix the whole issue about mentioning COVID 19 during marathon training.

Due to the recent lockdown (ironic) being lifted we're now able to gather in groups of (n+2) with N being the number of people who have posted here.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

As an observer who hasn't (thankfully?) gone anywhere near the Covid discussion thread, I think it's entirely relevant to have Covid discussion here insofar as it relates to marathon race selection and preparation.  As best I can see that's exactly what this thread was doing until things got a little OT a page or so ago.

Otherwise this thread right now would only be me, DPS and Magrawlas posting our training and everyone else commenting on said training or lamenting not being able to train for anything.

Good lord, you folks have been busy.... Power and internet went out for me yesterday afternoon so I missed out on all this.

Anyway, I am also training for a marathon (Northern Ohio, or Harrisburg, or Bucks County, or Suffolk County), and while I am in the minority that prefers to talk about running, I can tolerate all the weeping and gnashing of teeth by Cal and Brew. It is amusing in small doses.

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Good lord, you folks have been busy.... Power and internet went out for me yesterday afternoon so I missed out on all this.

Anyway, I am also training for a marathon (Northern Ohio, or Harrisburg, or Bucks County, or Suffolk County), and while I am in the minority that prefers to talk about running, I can tolerate all the weeping and gnashing of teeth by Cal and Brew. It is amusing in small doses.

Goal time? sub 3? Just finish? Finish with a 1 beer/hr record?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlopez

that's a BS - I would like to discuss anything with people I am more or less familiar with, not with some strangers coming from nowhere, whose opinions I do not share and whose opinions I actually do not care about...

I will state this quietly only once: welcome to open message boards on the internet.

Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

That's my marathon advice, and I've run a few.

God bless.

(I did not say which god)

Goal time? sub 3? Just finish? Finish with a 1 beer/hr record?

Goal is sub 2:50. No beer during the race, but plenty afterwards if the goal is achieved. Actually also if the goal is not achieved. Probably more beer if goal not achieved.

Mikkey: Good to see you have a marathon to run! With that much climbing I assume it will be primarily a training effort?

2:52:16 (2018)

OMR

Some nice weeks posted here...about 5 pages back.  I'm currently planning on Twin Cities 2021...maybe find an ultra to run before that.

Last week for me isn't really much to talk about:  ran a few miles on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday, in part to begin to retrain my brain and get beyond whatever the hell happened a week ago Saturday.  I'm wearing a Zio XT monitor for two weeks.  Full-on training began again yesterday, so hopefully this week will be back in the 50s.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Goal is sub 2:50. No beer during the race, but plenty afterwards if the goal is achieved. Actually also if the goal is not achieved. Probably more beer if goal not achieved.

Mikkey: Good to see you have a marathon to run! With that much climbing I assume it will be primarily a training effort?

Thanks! The Brighton 10k/marathon was cancelled (although they’re coming up with an alternative later in the year, whatever that means). I’m pretty certain there’ll be no mass London race as we’re seeing new spikes in the UK with parts of Manchester in lockdown again and London likely to follow. Maybe they’ll have elite only seeing as the race would now be eligible for Tokyo qualifying.

The RD for the Bewl Water Marathon is a top notch guy and is also RD for the Thames Meander race which I’ve run a few times. I’m definitely going to race it, but don’t know what to expect as it’ll be as it’ll be a new experience - we’ve found a nice dog friendly hotel/pub near the race so we’re going to stay there for a few days and chill out (assuming I don’t die on the course). I’ve just ordered a pair of Nike Terra Kiger race shoes which I hope will be suitable and also because my main road training shoe is now Nike React Infinity.

Fingers crossed that one of the 4 marathons happens for you as your training is looking really good all things considered and hopefully you’ll get that sub 2:50!

P.S.  I would just like to assure JMac and others that I have no plans to run an ultra - because I’m not THAT old!  

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I will state this quietly only once: welcome to open message boards on the internet.

Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

That's my marathon advice, and I've run a few.

God bless.

(I did not say which god)

I think you missed the point, but whatever. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

JT MAN I wish I was fast enough to be aiming for a sub 2:50 marathon. Even a 2:54 seemed light years away after CIM.

Mikkey You don't have to be old to run an ultra. I did one in my early 30s. I was miserable for about 2/3 of it too. Pacing...now THAT is for OLD people. Run a full marathon for fun at your daily running pace, or at a time that gets you a BQ-10 every time. Talk about living on Easy Blvd.

rlopez so good to see you made it back. Always a pleasure when you drop by.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

I think you missed the point, but whatever. 

No-no-no, don't say that - he certainly figured it out - otherwise he would not state it quietly... Plus, after all - he ran a few...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

P.S.  I would just like to assure JMac and others that I have no plans to run an ultra - because I’m not THAT old!  

Ha let's not start that one again too. You and Nimmals certainly did not see eye to eye at the end of his time posting here.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

No-no-no, don't say that - he certainly figured it out - otherwise he would not state it quietly... Plus, after all - he ran a few...

At least he’s only saying it once. 👍