2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CalBears

P.S.  I would just like to assure JMac and others that I have no plans to run an ultra - because I’m not THAT old!  

Just a thought from a personal experience - I ran my first ultra (100K) not because I wanted to, but to get into the Western States 100 lottery - kind of a bucket list thing. I hated it so much during the race, especially after mile 35 - that was such a pain for such a long time. Slightly compares to a physical and mental state during and after first not very well prepared marathon. But, as usual, a few days later, I could not wait when I could experience the same palette of feelings and emotions that I had during that 100K .

Just saying - you don't know until you try it - I would try it while you are still not too old. A note: I am not talking about flat road ultra - you need to have something like 10K+ of elevation gain to experience the real thing. Try it and then say it - don't be that "know it all" guy 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Don't you folks have some running to do? Obviously this thread needs a break and an easy two week vacation from this thread 8:30-10:00/mi paced run for 30-90 minutes should do us all some good.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Don't you folks have some running to do? Obviously this thread needs a break and an easy two week vacation from this thread 8:30-10:00/mi paced run for 30-90 minutes should do us all some good.

Did that this morning.  Twice.

Thing with me and ultras is...I hate trails. I hate offroad running.  I hate running in rural locations, honestly.  (no offence meant to those of you who like these things)

So...it's not just the distance of an ultra that discourages me, it's everything about ultras that is just not.my.thing.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thing with me and ultras is...I hate trails. I hate offroad running.  I hate running in rural locations, honestly.  (no offence meant to those of you who like these things)

So...it's not just the distance of an ultra that discourages me, it's everything about ultras that is just not.my.thing.

I agree. And you probably need to wear one of those hydration vests and stop to eat at stations. No thanks. 👎

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

I agree. And you probably need to wear one of those hydration vests and stop to eat at stations. No thanks. 👎

I'm all for doing some trails to enjoy the scenery from time to time, but you'd have to kill me to get one of those hydration vests on me.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

I'm all for doing some trails to enjoy the scenery from time to time, but you'd have to kill me to get one of those hydration vests on me.

Never wore a hydration vest - don't even have one. I carry a flask (two, if it's too hot) while moving from station to station. Yes, you better eat something at the aid stations which are usually 6-8 miles apart, but you don't have to - it's totally up to you . Enjoying a scenery while running ultra? What distance are you talking about?  Please note - 50K is not an ultra (though some will try to convince you otherwise 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Never wore a hydration vest - don't even have one. I carry a flask (two, if it's too hot) while moving from station to station. Yes, you better eat something at the aid stations which are usually 6-8 miles apart, but you don't have to - it's totally up to you . Enjoying a scenery while running ultra? What distance are you talking about?  Please note - 50K is not an ultra (though some will try to convince you otherwise 

You like hiking and I like golfing when we aren’t actually running. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well you're also kind of Queen of Training around these parts. All year long.

I always think about you when I'm on trails. Mostly "yeah I can see why this sucks." Although, the rural part of it is kind of what appeals to me. Much like hiking did way before I was a runner. Ultra marathons are just like a supported hike that no one will go with me on.

Cal 50k is too an ultra. I'm taking the vest this weekend. I don't want to run out of water. I could probably do just fine with only a flask and some snacks. I'm sure the vest would be more useful in supporting my own personal long runs. It's just a security blanket and I like it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

You like hiking and I like golfing when we aren’t actually running. 👍

Never liked hiking... When I am not running I like doing nothing - watching some documentaries mainly while laying down - that's what I call doing nothing...

CalBears

Cal 50k is too an ultra. 

No... Except if it has A LOT of elevation gain.

But sure - you can call flat road 50K as ultra too if you want to - I know some people consider 5K as a mini marathon...

pepperjack

pie man

Anything 26.3 miles is an ultra marathon by definition.

I did a 50 miler that was net loss of 4,000 feet.  Does that mean it wasn't an ultra?

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CalBears

Anything 26.3 miles is an ultra marathon by definition.

ok then - let's stick with definitions if you wish...

OMR

Hmm...maybe this will entice you?

Running Problem

Problem Child

60+ mile self paced tour of New York? I just might be into that kind of thing. I'm sure family could find something to do for the 2 days it takes me to finish. I hope they go by the Central Perk coffee shop. I've always wanted to see that place. It looks so small on TV.

EDIT: There is a Chipotle ON COURSE. With the app a runner could order ahead and pick up food. You know how darkwave enjoys her Chipotle.

Coney Island Brewing is also pretty close to the course. They ALSO offer curbside pickup.

That nonsense around Foley Square.....I'd get lost there so it might help to have a local to show me the way back to 42nd and Broadway.

Seriously, if I could cover the full 100 miles I'd be down to try that.

VDOT 53.37 

Why would do people pay money for this?  I'm also organizing a race.

It starts from your house and ends at your house or can be deferred to another place, I don't care.

Cost is $150, no yearly deferrals.

I will send a shirt if you'd like one, might be printed, most likely hand drawn with a marker.

No streets will be closed (how could they be, I don't know where you are!!! haha).

If I did, however, no streets will be closed.

No food provided, but if requested I can find someone for you, but not for all your needs, but still send me money.

Please also bring your own money.

Race starts a 7am EST. Check your tz for appropriate conversion.

Oh, the distance? Tell me where you are and I'll write up a map for you.

I will select all "historical, conversational and architectural majesties within a 25 mile radius of your starting point".

If you live in North Dakota, you may be disappointed.

And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine