2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

mikeymike

Scovill!!

Runners run

HermosaBoy

If you live in North Dakota, you may be disappointed.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

OMR

Why would do people pay money for this?  I'm also organizing a race.

It starts from your house and ends at your house or can be deferred to another place, I don't care.

Cost is $150, no yearly deferrals.

I will send a shirt if you'd like one, might be printed, most likely hand drawn with a marker.

No streets will be closed (how could they be, I don't know where you are!!! haha).

If I did, however, no streets will be closed.

No food provided, but if requested I can find someone for you, but not for all your needs, but still send me money.

Please also bring your own money.

Race starts a 7am EST. Check your tz for appropriate conversion.

Oh, the distance? Tell me where you are and I'll write up a map for you.

I will select all "historical, conversational and architectural majesties within a 25 mile radius of your starting point".

If you live in North Dakota, you may be disappointed.

Good thing nobody in here (as far as I know) lives in North Dakota.  As for why people would pay money for that, I think people could make that argument about just about anything that they don’t personally care about.

rlopez

My girlfriend ran the TGNY 100 back in 2015. One of the best, coolest, and by her own reckoning, important events in her life.

I dunno why anyone pays for most virtual races either, but then again, I finally ran one (Aravaipa Strong) because it supported a group of people and an event community that was/is important to me. So I threw a few bucks their way and went through the motions. I even spelled I LOVE ARAVAIPA with my GPS. Wee.

She (the girlfriend) thought about doing the virtual  TGNY for pretty much the same reason. The event had been important to her and the organizers are going through some financial pain, so why not.

COVID is kind of an industry destroyer when it comes to event production... and associated businesses (which is why Marathon Foto won't STFU in your email about races from 10 years ago, of course). Some of these orgs should have been better with money, some have been doing everything they can, but it royally sucks for everyone. Yeah, I don't really care if Ironman/rnr feels some pain... but it isn't just the org that gets poked, it is also the real people who work there.

Anyway. Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard. I get that the newbies around here don't know this reference, but junior, it wasn't for you anyhoo.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Anyway. Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard. I get that the newbies around here don't know this reference, but junior, it wasn't for you anyhoo.

Nope, none of us newbies have ever heard of that expression before.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Anyway. Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard. I get that the newbies around here don't know this reference, but junior, it wasn't for you anyhoo.

There is no place for a sarcasm Mikkey as you should be eternally grateful for Mr. showing you the way...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

rlopez

Having 'heard the expression' is different from knowing the reference.

As for ultras, yes, technically any race longer than 26.22 is an ultra (which is why the Tulsa marathon has a weird little detour one can take to gain the "world's shortest ultra" pin). Old school people used to say that "real" ultras were 50 miles or longer. This is a bunch of crap, of course, but the idea kind of went back to training and race day execution. Aside from the gnarliest technical 50ks, one can approach a 26.3 or 50k pretty much like one approaches a marathon. 50 miles and longer become a lot more about other problem solving things, nutrition, and way deeper mental management. That said, I have run marathons and 50ks that were harder than some of the easier 50 milers, so it is all a bunch of noise. The beauty of running is that it is different every time and in every place.

As for training for marathons, I applaud all of you who can still focus on goal-specific training as race goals are taken from everyone. Keep the faith.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Looks like it’s going to be a Kipchoge/Bekele showdown at London.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-athletics-london/london-marathon-mass-race-to-be-cancelled-elite-race-on-idUSKCN2521EX

Awesome! Although I haven't been following too much: are they still going to be in shape? Seems like a prime excuse for Bekele to show up in awful condition.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Thing with me and ultras is...I hate trails. I hate offroad running.  I hate running in rural locations, honestly.  (no offence meant to those of you who like these things)

So...it's not just the distance of an ultra that discourages me, it's everything about ultras that is just not.my.thing.

DW, I am severely offended by you saying that   You would not enjoy running my usual routes for sure. All dirt roads and increasingly trails through the woods. I absolutely love it. It makes you feel like you're flying when you get to run on pavement or a track.

Mikkey: That sounds like a good plan for your race; bringing the dog (or dogs?) along and making a little trip out of it. Dog friendly hotels are the best.

RP: I am not fast enough for 2:50 so far either, but I hope to squeeze under eventually. And I think you underestimate yourself, with continued consistent training you can get there as well. You had a great cycle for that 2:59 and there's definitely room to improve more.

Anyone else get slammed by the tropical storm/hurricane remnants?  We lost power and internet Tuesday (still has not been restored), and had a tree come down in the yard. My son and I spent yesterday afternoon cutting that up. Lots of trees down all over the place and many without power. I wish the US would learn from European countries and run the power lines underground....

2:52:16 (2018)

Awesome! Although I haven't been following too much: are they still going to be in shape? Seems like a prime excuse for Bekele to show up in awful condition.

That is great news! Although Kenny has a history of gaining weight in down times I think he is taking things much more seriously than in the previous several years.  This could be an incredible race. Kenny wants that WR more than anything I think. It would be incredible for him to own the 5000, 10,000 and marathon WRs.  I still put my money on Kipchoge, but this one could be close.

Also just about a week till the Monaco DL meet and Cheptegei's 5000m WR attempt.

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

JTreeves  - sorry for the offense Smile

My area of Northern Virginia was pretty much spared.  We had all sorts of tropical storm/flash flood warnings up, but when I woke up it didn't seem that bad out, and it wasn't forecast to get bad until around 8 am.  So I went ahead and drove to my local hill for a hill workout, reasoning that I would be done well before 8 am (started at 5:30 am), would never be more than about 3 minutes jog from my car, and could also be home within 10 minutes (with no areas prone to flooding between me and home)

It ended up being a not bad morning for a run.  Rainy and windy, but never dangerous, and I had the hill pretty much to myself.  It was actually much more pleasant running than the heat and humidity we've had recently.  I kept an eye on the planes taking off from the nearby airport, with the reasoning that if the bad weather got too close, they'd ground the planes and I'd take shelter.    But the planes kept flying.

Ended up that we just had some rain and some wind - much less severe than some of the recent storms we've had.  We got lucky.  Areas to the east of DC got slammed, including at least one small tornado.

Re: burying the power lines - I've lived both ways: power above ground and power below.  Underground power lines are definitely shielded from weather, but you can still lose power for other reason (animals chewing, construction screw-ups, earthquakes).  And when underground power lines get damaged, it takes a lot longer to fix them and get power back up.

OMR - that NYC ultra actually does check some boxes, including the Chipotle feeding station one.  I just can't wrap my head around running that long, though.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

As for training for marathons, I applaud all of you who can still focus on goal-specific training as race goals are taken from everyone. Keep the faith.

Thanks for the applause, but... I see this as similar to an injury.  You know things will get better some day and you will be able to race again, you just don't know quite when.  The only difference is that here, it's like the entire running community got injured at once.  (and also, we can still run, which is nice).

To that point, I've noticed that it seems to be the runners who rarely or never get injured who are having the hardest time emotionally handling the current racing uncertainty.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I believe there may have been an LOL at my suggestion that this would happen....

Looks like it’s going to be a Kipchoge/Bekele showdown at London.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-athletics-london/london-marathon-mass-race-to-be-cancelled-elite-race-on-idUSKCN2521EX

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I believe there may have been an LOL at my suggestion that this would happen....

You're a genius!  Now if you can tell me if I should bother booking a flight to Boston.