2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

anyway, he’s trying to get me to buy a treadmill but I’ need a proper basement Gym with a fan, maybe tv screen, and Something that goes downhill.

there’s not a lot of basements in Cali. Should I move? If so what kind of treadmill do you recommend? What’s a good cheap one that folds up that can be sat outside with a weather cover or a fold up one with wheels for indoor.

i hate covid and I miss running. And training.

guess my July sf marathon plans are over

If you're willing to move to have a basement for a treadmill, can you perhaps locate to an area that has less people outside?  Or is that not feasible?

I am fairly sure that storing any treadmill outside will void its warranty.  And from what I've heard, most fold up treadmills are of poor quality.

If I were to buy a treadmill, I'd go with either a Landice or a Lifefitness, but that's just my personal opinion.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ok I got lost with all the covid talk...with the way our cali numbers are going up I predict no sf marathon and no cim . Depending on how the winter goes regardless of a vaccine (bc not everyone will be vax all at once and don’t know if it quite works yet), I doubt Boston will happen. I think maybe sf in the summer but more likely the fall marathons will happen...

im not running outside anymore bc most Californians think they’re above masks and that whole 20 ft airstream freaks me out even tho my husband says it’s about how long you sit there in that stream and how much viral droplets are there and where it lands blah blah

anyway, he’s trying to get me to buy a treadmill but I’ need a proper basement Gym with a fan, maybe tv screen, and Something that goes downhill.

there’s not a lot of basements in Cali. Should I move? If so what kind of treadmill do you recommend? What’s a good cheap one that folds up that can be sat outside with a weather cover or a fold up one with wheels for indoor.

i hate covid and I miss running. And training.

guess my July sf marathon plans are over

Hasn’t the governor continually exempted outside activities from requiring a mask? It’s to Californians. It’s your elected official running the state. Your husband is correct about the whole air stream thing. It’s a shame you don’t believe him or trust the science like you trust masks that don’t stop viral droplets. I’ve been running outside with increasing numbers and no mask since December and haven’t come down with anything. Doesn’t mean I’m immune. I just run early when less people are out. I spend more time next to people at the grocery store, library, or gas station than I do running.

id recommend a new treadmill if you’re only running indoors. If you can’t fit it into a bedroom or living area to be able to run and watch tv I’d just put it into the garage if you can. Not many homes in California have a basement and they’re probably really expensive and unnecessary to buy for just a little bit of training. I don’t think storing it outside would be great just because of water an electronics, but any of them would be fine if you cover it very good. Giant blue tarp with a bunch of cinder blocks to prevent it blowing off. You could also consider getting a bike.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlopez

Buy the most expensive treadmill that you can. The cheap ones don't run smoothly and will have goofy mechanical issues way sooner than the good ones. A cheap treadmill quickly becomes a clothes hanger.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Buy the most expensive treadmill that you can. The cheap ones don't run smoothly and will have goofy mechanical issues way sooner than the good ones. A cheap treadmill quickly becomes a clothes hanger.

Having run on cheap treadmills occasionally in hotels - this.  A cheap treadmill will feel awful and may get you injured - this is one area where you get what you pay for, and being cheap may cost a lot more in the end.

Also, if you want a treadmill with a downhill incline option, those are generally very expensive.  (I have heard of some people propping up the back of their treadmills with bricks or similar)

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlopez

Yeah, honestly, if you can't afford a good treadmill, don't buy one. It isn't worth it. I've run a lot of hotel treadmills in my life; they don't usually feel 'right'. I pay planet fitness 10 bucks a month, which among other things, gives me access to a large bank of treadmills that they keep maintained. Of course, this is not helpful during covid.

In my basement right now is our clothes hanger treadmill. I cannot recommend one. Nor a basement for that matter. I very much miss NOT having a basement.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Yeah, honestly, if you can't afford a good treadmill, don't buy one. It isn't worth it. I've run a lot of hotel treadmills in my life; they don't usually feel 'right'. I pay planet fitness 10 bucks a month, which among other things, gives me access to a large bank of treadmills that they keep maintained. Of course, this is not helpful during covid.

In my basement right now is our clothes hanger treadmill. I cannot recommend one. Nor a basement for that matter. I very much miss NOT having a basement.

Heh - I think the utility of a basement depends on where you live.  I have family in Kansas, and out there it's pretty standard to have massive, well finished basements.  Which makes sense, since it's tornado country.

OTOH, in Florida it's really odd to have a basement, due to flooding concerns.

In DC, english basement condos are fairly common.  I lived in one for over a decade.  I don't care much about natural light indoors, and it was really nice to be able to be noisy without worrying about disturbing anyone else.  I also saved a ton of $ on air conditioning each summer.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Planet fitness also just changed their mandate to wear a mask while running which helps too. The cost of the gym would make it cheaper than a treadmill.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlopez

Heh - I think the utility of a basement depends on where you live.  I have family in Kansas, and out there it's pretty standard to have massive, well finished basements.  Which makes sense, since it's tornado country.

I live in Indiana, also tornado country, with a basement that's the same size as my 'regular' living space. I get it. Lots of issues with basements. Still not a fan.

Gizmo2019

I live in Indiana, also tornado country, with a basement that's the same size as my 'regular' living space. I get it. Lots of issues with basements. Still not a fan.

You DONT like basements? I get it. I’m originally from the east coast and Midwest and have been thru floods, humidity, etc

Gizmo2019

Yes I agree with everyone regarding getting an expensive treadmill. I did a bit of research and also aware the downhill ones are super expensive. 
                      regarding the move...it was our plan to do so anyway to be closer to family...this move would include a basement which I could finish with a souped up gym. I’m not a biker (indoor).

thats why I’m hesitant buying one right now bc I know it’d be temporary if I got a cheap one and a waste of money. I don’t have a GREAT space for it. The expensive ones are heavy and spacious, so that’s why I’m just getting fat and waiting to move out of state for a basement gym 😁

yes yes I know in California I don’t have to but I strongly feel that carrying a mask w u outdoors is smart bc in my crammed suburban area, ppl don’t like to move away from me or do not know what 6 ft or more is. They are busy talking on the phone while walking. The runners are great. And this is at 6am. When there’s the least ppl. Actually now that I think of it I’ve gone hiking close to noon when it’s blazing and barely anyone out...but I’ve only trained myself to run in cool temps. Maybe time to step it up a notch...oh wait then there’s the kids 😭

see my dilemma? And no , I’m a germaphobe. I won’t do the gym. Firstly, I think they’re gross (even my community clubhouse, you should see how I’d disinfect pre covid). Plus the commute to any gym...I’m the primary caregiver...anyway.

enough about me. Thanks for the tips on an outdoor treadmill. I don’t really trust it outdoors. I’ll look into the brands mentioned and ok fine maybe once school starts some ppl will stop pretending to run during “my” time 😉

Gizmo2019

I think my main issue is i prefer running alone and While I don’t mind extra ppl around I wish THEY would move out of my way instead of me constantly. While I don’t mind the extra steps it does disrupt my “flow” or my mindless running. Now I’m constantly thinking where’s he going ? Should i move first? Etc. It’s snnoyinh and I can’t focus on running nor run thoughtlessly if that makes sense. I’ve tried different routes diff times etc. it’s too crowded here except when it gets hots

rlopez

You DONT like basements? I get it. I’m originally from the east coast and Midwest and have been thru floods, humidity, etc

No! One of my Seattle houses had a "daylight" basement (the house was built into the side of a hill) and in retrospect, that basement was awesome.

The one in my Indiana house is a mold pit that occasionally floods and... oh... I just figured out that my radon removal whatever isn't functioning. For how long? I dunno.

Anyway, I grew up in Texas. Also the land of tornadoes, but basements are not a thing in Texas.

Gizmo2019

Had no idea about Texas not having basements! Yes the radon ...went thru that when selling homes...ðŸĪŠ

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I can't believe the basement hate.  Yes mold, yes flooding risk.  But so cheap from an air conditioning perspective.  And more affordable than living above ground.

My week:

58 miles,15 "miles" of pool-running.
                              M: 5.5 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                              T: 11 miles, including 8 gentle Iwo Jima hill repeats (about 2:20 up, 90 second easy jog, 30 second gentle stride, and 80 second jog to bottom of hill). Followed with leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.
                              W: 5.5 miles easy (9:46), streaming yoga, and 6.5 miles easy (9:10) plus drills and four hill strides
                              Th: upper body weights/core and 5.5 "miles" of pool-running
                              F: 11 miles, including 5x 4 minutes on, 3 minutes jog. (paces for on were 6:40-6:50 ish according to Garmin). Followed with leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.
                              Sa: 10 miles easy (9:35), plus drills, two hill strides, two flat strides. Later did upper body weights/core and foam rolling.
                              Su: 14 miles easy to moderate - starting at 9:45 and ending at 7:45 pace. Followed with leg strengthwork, 4 "miles"  of pool-running, and streaming yoga.

Hamstring progressing nicely - I even forgot about it a bit on today's 14 miler (though that was mostly because I was dehydrated and debating whether I wanted to dare a public water fountain)

DW: Nice week, and good sign you stopped noticing the hamstring! What are your current thoughts/plans for a fall race? I know you were thinking of Harrisburg; do you have others in mind? I'm currently most optimistic about Northern Ohio. They seem to have a good plan for covid adjustments to the race; starting in waves of 25, no awards ceremony afterwards, etc; and they are planning to move ahead with the race as well as offering a virtual option for those that want it. Bucks County is also a go but that would be my last option due to the surface.

Another hot & humid week in the books. Thursday's workout was intended to be on the road, but the road I wanted to use for it was closed due to downed trees from the tropical storm, so I did it on the track. This was an "off" week long run-wise so only a 14 miler today. Trying to do a cutback every 3rd or 4th week on the long runs since previous cycles I think I might have overdone it with a 20-22 miler every week.

Distance   Pace   Gain
                                Tue   Rainy trail run   10.45   9:05   748
                                Wed   Morning Run   10.07   8:27   633
                                Thu   Warmup   2.38   7:34   0
                                Thu  

3 x 3200m, 800m recovery

(11:55, 11:59, 12:03)

7.13   6:21   0
                                Thu   Cooldown   1.99   8:38   0
                                Fri   Morning Run   8.20   8:43   571
                                Sat   Trail run with Matthew   7.75   9:00   604
                                Sun   Morning Run   14.03   8:16   807

Total distance: 61.99 mi

2:52:16 (2018)