2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

No! One of my Seattle houses had a "daylight" basement (the house was built into the side of a hill) and in retrospect, that basement was awesome.

The one in my Indiana house is a mold pit that occasionally floods and... oh... I just figured out that my radon removal whatever isn't functioning. For how long? I dunno.

Anyway, I grew up in Texas. Also the land of tornadoes, but basements are not a thing in Texas.

Rlopez....I’m just curious, have you ever travelled outside of US?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: Nice week, and good sign you stopped noticing the hamstring! What are your current thoughts/plans for a fall race? I know you were thinking of Harrisburg; do you have others in mind? I'm currently most optimistic about Northern Ohio.

So...I am currently registered for the following...

October 17 - Mankato Half-Marathon

November 8 - Harrisburg Marathon

November 14 - Richmond Marathon; November 15 - New Jersey Half-Marathon (elite entry carry-over from spring - could convert to full)

November 21 - White River Marathon (Arkansas)

December 6 - CIM

Right now, my plan is to train as if Harrisburg Marathon is happening and is my goal.  I'll do two 20-22 milers (my norm) with the second being the week before Mankato.   My hope is that one of the four of Harrisburg, Richmond, NJ, or White River will happen.  Cancellations will likely happen with several weeks notice, giving me enough time to adjust my cycle.  If need be, I can always add in a third 20-22 miler. Since I do a short marathon cycle, having to stretch it out a few weeks is not a big issue.

If Harrisburg is a go, I will go with that one, even if Richmond, NJ, and White River are also still on.  A bird in the hand and all that...

Looking at the website, the thing that concerns me about Harrisburg is that there is no mention of Covid accommodations or similar.  On the other hand, I know the same group is going ahead with the Harrisburg mile in a week and a half, so....

I think Richmond has some promise, just because other races have been happening in Virginia and also because their website has the statement " we are planning to have an official race course that includes mile markers, bottle re-fill stations and a finish line to cross in November...Race day will not look how it always has"  That implies to me that they will be opening a course and doing a rolling start or similar with DIY water refill stations.  Since I don't mind running by myself and carry my own gels and sometimes a water bottle, I can live with that set up and possibly race really well.  Plus...I don't have to cross state lines to run Richmond.

New Jersey seems similar to Harrisburg.  No description of how they are going to run the race under Covid, and NJ may also be bigger than Harrisburg.

White River also seems likely to happen, given the small size and location in Arkansas.

I'm operating under the assumption that CIM will not happen, and that I'll be using that registration to run it a few years from now (I had always planned to go back some year).  But...if all the other races don't happen, but CIM does and I'm allowed to travel to California from Virginia, then I'll do it and be very happy to have the option.

Your Northern Ohio race seems like a solid bet.  I'm starting to wonder if I should grab a bib for that one as well.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlopez

Rlopez....I’m just curious, have you ever travelled outside of US?

yes

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

DW: Looks like a good set of options. I do worry a bit about larger races like NJ and Richmond; I think the small ones, 300 or less runners, are most likely to proceed. In that regard White River looks pretty good. Can't hurt to sign up for Northern Ohio; it would be cool to run the same race as you!

2:52:16 (2018)

rlopez

Wow!

No idea what you are on about, but ok.

DW

There's no chance Harrisburg and NJ are happening. I think Richmond is pretty unlikely as well, once we start seeing how school openings go sideways.

The Arkansas race probably will. It's a fun, quirkly, little event.

Good luck in whatever actually unfurls

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

No idea what you are on about, but ok.

Umm, you like talking about yourself.... so I’d be interested to hear about your experiences outside of US?

rlopez

Umm, you like talking about yourself.... so I’d be interested to hear about your experiences outside of US?

In the 2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber thread? Nah. I had a thread called wild wild west that literally started with a post stating "Ask me anything in this thread, and I will answer it.". It has devolved into a booze thread, but that seems like a more appropriate place.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I rather enjoyed drinking booze in the different other countries I visited. A highlight was beer atop a mountain in Bavaria in an abbey.

Back to the topic at hand, I need to train for and run a marathon over there so I can go back.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

In the 2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber thread? Nah. I had a thread called wild wild west that literally started with a post stating "Ask me anything in this thread, and I will answer it.". It has devolved into a booze thread, but that seems like a more appropriate place.

Fair enough buddy, if you don’t want to answer a simple question on this thread then so be it. 👍

#artbydmcbride

Monkey marathon feels like Bavaria lite to me!

Runners run

Fair enough buddy, if you don’t want to answer a simple question on this thread then so be it. 👍

He answered your question

Runners run

I rather enjoyed drinking booze in the different other countries I visited. A highlight was beer atop a mountain in Bavaria in an abbey.

Back to the topic at hand, I need to train for and run a marathon over there so I can go back.

Your passport is no good in Germany, alas

Runners run

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

He answered your question

I hope you come out of retirement soon. You are only 52 years young for goodness sake.