2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Gizmo2019

Never mind people biking their "marathons" etc.

What?!! Wow. My naive mind is blown. What is even the point. This means I can drive my virtual marathon. Like my husband first suggested as a joke.

Gizmo2019

Btw, I ran today after 2 weeks. Felt great and found another new route, more space to distance and the other runners were making effort (it’s usually walkers who don’t like to move).

only ran a measles 2.5 mi tho. I’m no where near training level!

they haven’t opened Disneyland out here yet, I doubt they will allow the sf marathon or CIM. 
      disneyland and marathons are basically the same thing just less food at one.

you guys and your training weeks are awesome but you don’t need to hear that from me! Thanks for the inspiration.

i looked into life fitness and landice treadmills..I like the landice but also Nordictrak...any opinions on that? It has a decline...

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Never mind people biking their "marathons" etc.

What?!! Wow. My naive mind is blown. What is even the point. This means I can drive my virtual marathon. Like my husband first suggested as a joke.

Yeah but you’ll need to turn the HRM off as it would look suspicious if you “run” at 70bpm for the duration. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

cal I never saw a response. If Boston 2021 is canceled do you think they will no allow carry over of ANY qualifying times and require everyone to run a new qualifier in 2020? Do you think they would cut out 2018 qualifiers and do a ‘2019 and 2020 qualifiers’ process?

for the record I believe CIM will happen. It’s early December and if a vaccine comes out people will feel better about social gatherings. Since CIM isn’t as popular as a major, and most people seem to think it won’t happen, ON TOP OF the race offering deferrals for 3 years I expect a reduced crowd with no pace groups. Oh and no relay due to its popularity.

I have no clue what BAA is going to do with qualifying times - it will be funny if for Boston 2022 they accept 2018 times but I guess it is still better than a lottery, which I also guess is not the worst of the world - for one year I would not see it's being a problem.

No, CIM is not happening, at least I do not see it's happening - there won't be vaccine in December, and also, I believe, the deferral process only works if the race is not happening, if the race happens, what is the point of referral? Or maybe I didn't understand something.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I have no clue what BAA is going to do with qualifying times - it will be funny if for Boston 2022 they accept 2018 times but I guess it is still better than a lottery, which I also guess is not the worst of the world - for one year I would not see it's being a problem.

No, CIM is not happening, at least I do not see it's happening - there won't be vaccine in December, and also, I believe, the deferral process only works if the race is not happening, if the race happens, what is the point of referral? Or maybe I didn't understand something.

I like Boston 2022 accepting 2018 times, because then my 2018 CIM time still counts Smile

As for your point on why defer CIM if it happens?  For me, CIM is the latest of the marathons I am currently entered in.  If an earlier marathon goes, I'm running that one and then deferring CIM (if CIM happens).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Magrawlas

Question for the group, and this is probably for cal and DW the most given how slowly they run their easy pace: is there ever an easy pace where you say "this is just too slow?" I'm not talking about a recovery run the day after a Quality day. Those, I'm not sure there really is such a thing as too slow. However, I'm in base building right now, and my easy runs are starting to get to be 2:30+ behind marathon pace. Normally I wouldn't think much about this, but during a base period it seemed to be getting too slow. I know on these forums we are usually in the camp that easy pace can't be too slow, but clearly it can: if I did my easy runs at a 13:00 pace, that would be too slow. I've always been careful not to be too fast on my easy runs, so I've focused on that so much that I don't know the other bound.

I plan on adding some tempo runs next week as I think this may be a cause of my easy pace getting too slow, but curious on other thoughts.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2015/m

Hi, hopefully the above link works as it covers what your after I think. Its an article by a David Chalfen in the Guardian 4th march 2015

Glad you bought it up though as I've been running all my long runs at my goal pace of 5:30 per km. So last Friday I aimed for 5:45 kms for my 32km long run. Felt pretty good but I find when I get fatigued I speed up. Gonna have to sort that out before the race or it will hurt me in the last 10km.

This thread went a bit crazy in the last week eh! I think people have to much pent up energy, hopefully more races will be locked in soon.!

I had a good little race on the weekend. The University Relays on the kapiti Coast. Teams of 4 on a XC 4km loop on farmland, tracks and sand dunes. Lots of sheep shit everywhere ( it's N.Z) great stuff. Was great to run with my club and have that camaraderie again.

On night shift this week which sucks but on the bright side I just ate a whole pack of Gingernuts Fingers covered in chocolate.

Advertised as "the ultimate dunking Chocolate morsels" I agree but dunking is a fine art, nothing worse than soggy biscuts in the bottom of your coffee mug Lucky for me there was about 30 of them in the pack to practice with...

Running Problem

Problem Child

darkwave wait WHAT? A Negative test is valid in Rhode Island but not Connecticut? Sounds like there needs to be some national reciprocity for a COVID 19 test.

Gizmo I don't know why Disney WORLD can be open and not disney LAND other than Gavin Newsome. Theme parks are outside. Masks and gloves. Social distancing. Limited capacity. It literally fits with every single activity that's allowed. I'm more worried about people from the Bay Area traveling to Lake Tahoe and spreading COVID 19 so I'd PAY MONEY for Disneyland to open and keep the tourists in LA. More people probably catch it from the gym than being outside.

Cheating in races Who would EVER cheat by doing something like bike a race while wearing a heart rate monitor? Poor Derek Murphy has had so much free time he just might look to London as his time to shine in 2020.

cal deferral means you could just run it at a different time. I'm always mixed about a deferral without a wait list. Sign up for 2020 then defer to 2021 means someone should be pulled from a waiting list to enter the race. Injury, lack of training, sickness, life change, etc. could all be reasons someone would defer CIM and want to run it in the future.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

darkwave wait WHAT? A Negative test is valid in Rhode Island but not Connecticut? Sounds like there needs to be some national reciprocity for a COVID 19 test.

Each state has their own rules.  Same thing for where and when you can buy booze, speed limits, right turn on red, etc....  It's kinda the nature of federalism....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Each state has their own rules.  Same thing for where and when you can buy booze, speed limits, right turn on red, etc....  It's kinda the nature of federalism....

My ID is valid in all those states to drive a car and buy alcohol. I'm sure my tetanus shot is valid in Connecticut too. My money might even be valid there too, but possibly I'd need to open an account in the state for them to accept it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2015/m

Hi, hopefully the above link works as it covers what your after I think. Its an article by a David Chalfen in the Guardian 4th march 2015

Glad you bought it up though as I've been running all my long runs at my goal pace of 5:30 per km. So last Friday I aimed for 5:45 kms for my 32km long run. Felt pretty good but I find when I get fatigued I speed up. Gonna have to sort that out before the race or it will hurt me in the last 10km.

Hi your link looks broken, but I'm interested in what it says!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

rlopez

The link he meant to include is this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2015/mar/04/marathon-training-at-what-pace-should-you-do-your-long-runs

(reposting to be helpful, not claiming to be pro/con the article)

CalBears

Hi your link looks broken, but I'm interested in what it says!

Total BS article... He says sub 3 marathoners should run his/her LR at 7:20 pace !!! I ran 15 sub 3 marathons and in all those 10 years of training I might ran few times at a pace he recommends - out of my hundreds LRs. That guy is crazy and totally BS...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I certainly think his point on percentage is true: as you get slower, your long run gets closer to your MP as a percentage of your run. But that's why often you'll hear about doing long runs 1 minute slower than pace, which equates to that 6 minute pace for elites, or 7:45-8:00 for your sub 3 hour marathoners. That sounds right to me. 7:20 pace is crazy. I think you can probably do your final third of your long run at that pace, but there is no way a 6:50 marathoner can maintain 7:20 pace for 20 miles in a training run. You'd have to be more like a 3:30+ type runner to do that. The best long run of my past PR cycle, and honestly maybe ever, was about 50 seconds per mile slower than my MP for 22 miles. So I'd say a 2:59 runner could maybe hit one or two 7:30 long runs in a cycle.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

but there is no way a 6:50 marathoner can maintain 7:20 pace for 20 miles in a training run. You'd have to be more like a 3:30+ type runner to do that. The best long run of my past PR cycle, and honestly maybe ever, was about 50 seconds per mile slower than my MP for 22 miles. So I'd say a 2:59 runner could maybe hit one or two 7:30 long runs in a cycle.

wait....you're saying a 3:30 runner would be able to run 7:20/mi for a long run?

I'm all about going easy on long runs. They were never about speed for me and I was once a sub 3 marathoner. If I was doing 60 seconds slower than GMP I was going too fast. It was also easier to run for a total amount of time than it was a specific distance. 7:30/mi for a 2:30:00 long run? HARD pass. Specifically in the dead zone of "not an easy run, but not marathon pace" and I strongly dislike running long distances. No really.

VDOT 53.37 

DW: Just took a look at the HMF website and specifically the Middletown 10 miler. Timing would be good for that one (Sep. 20) but after seeing the course map/elevation profile I was disappointed. That is in line with my observation that all 10 mile races in CT are hilly. The half in Rhode Island looks good however.

2:52:16 (2018)