2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://anchoredmarathon.com/

anchorage marathon is Boston Certified. Get your test soon and you can make it this weekend. I believe it's pancake flat, but I've never run it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

cinnamon girl

M: 40 min recovery
      T: 7.5 mi easy
      W: 7.2 mi easy
      T: off
      F: 10 mi with 10 x 800 (1st 4 at 3:00 with 2:05/400m rec and last 6 at 3:07 with 60 sec rec)
      S: 7 mi easy
      S: 13 mi

Friday I wasn't feeling it so I adjusted the intervals to what felt appropriate for the day. Sunday I didn't feel like moving so I didn't do much.

Long runs - when I was in shape a few years back I routinely (most every weekend) ran my 18-22 (and a peak 24 miler) between 655 and 715. They had no MP - just running. My favorite types of runs (when I'm in shape - HA). My weekly mileage was low 60s and I had quality workouts every week. I think those high aerobic weekly long runs were great for me - they didn't exhaust me. We're all different. Those paces were also in the range prescribed by my coach. I ran LA in record heat off that training rather than cherry pick a fast course in fast weather to prove I was in 6:3x shape but I won my AG and beat several of the women who were in the US Marathon championship bracket.

pepperjack

pie man

https://anchoredmarathon.com/

anchorage marathon is Boston Certified. Get your test soon and you can make it this weekend. I believe it's pancake flat, but I've never run it.

Seems like a quite waste of effort and time to go up there and run 25-30 minutes slower than a BQ (at best).  I'm not even in the shape I was last season where I couldn't quite pull out Santa Rosa.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Seems like a quite waste of effort and time to go up there and run 25-30 minutes slower than a BQ (at best).  I'm not even in the shape I was last season where I couldn't quite pull out Santa Rosa.

It's still a race that is a certified boston qualifier giving preferential treatment to those trying to qualify. Every other state has canceled races so if someone wants a BQ and can get a negative test by today or tomorrow they could go qualify for 2021.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

M: 40 min recovery
            T: 7.5 mi easy
            W: 7.2 mi easy
            T: off
            F: 10 mi with 10 x 800 (1st 4 at 3:00 with 2:05/400m rec and last 6 at 3:07 with 60 sec rec)
            S: 7 mi easy
            S: 13 mi

Friday I wasn't feeling it so I adjusted the intervals to what felt appropriate for the day. Sunday I didn't feel like moving so I didn't do much.

Long runs - when I was in shape a few years back I routinely (most every weekend) ran my 18-22 (and a peak 24 miler) between 655 and 715. They had no MP - just running. My favorite types of runs (when I'm in shape - HA). My weekly mileage was low 60s and I had quality workouts every week. I think those high aerobic weekly long runs were great for me - they didn't exhaust me. We're all different. Those paces were also in the range prescribed by my coach. I ran LA in record heat off that training rather than cherry pick a fast course in fast weather to prove I was in 6:3x shape but I won my AG and beat several of the women who were in the US Marathon championship bracket.

That was awesome and I like your attitude!  Sometimes this place is like a CIM tribute thread. 

How fast/slow should folk be running their long runs?  No comment. 🤐

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That was awesome and I like your attitude!  Sometimes this place is like a CIM London tribute thread. 

FYP 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Just dropping in to say, Magrawlas, I hope Wellington Marathon can still go ahead but I'm not optimistic based on the last few days here in NZ.  I'm nervous about Rotorua Marathon too, I'd say it's only a 60-70% chance now, versus 90-95% a week ago.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

That was awesome and I like your attitude!  Sometimes this place is like a CIM tribute thread. 

Mikkey, you know that is BS, right? I do not understand that constant rubbing over CIM - CIM is a great course, has a great weather and it's totally local - I consider myself very lucky to live near it - takes me an hour drive to get there and be back home by 1pm. Not sure why would anybody brag about picking "most difficult course" to prove something that can be proved in your neighborhood. If I lived near some harder course, let's say NY - I would definitely run it every year - I do not think I would travel to CIM every year, maybe once - just to see what it is about.

Speaking about LA - I ran it twice - in 2013 to get my first sub 3 and then the next year in a very hot weather but faster - 2:53. Finished 75th OA and 7th AG. Btw, once I also thought I won my AG, but later on turned out I was 2nd. Just saying... I also ran Avenue of the Giants - twice - beautiful, stunning course, not easy at all - no problem - 2:55 -wanted to run it this year but... covid happened... Ran Chicago, ran Boston - so what, what the fuss about? Now, after spending unnecessarily thousands of dollars of far far away courses I prefer to run CIM every year - because it's cheap, fast, great, simple and extremely well organized. Not because to prove to myself or to somebody something - why?

It's also always funny to hear from "experts" who has never ran certain course how easy that course is and how that would be cherry-picking and how whatever they did is hard-core... It's like not having children or not being married but still ready to give their "qualified" opinion on those matters... Honestly... - I never heard from any runner who ran CIM that it's an easy course - and it's 100% chance that whoever starts talking about how easy it is and how it's some kind of "cheating" never ran that course and has no clue what (s)he is talking about. No f#*%^g clue...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Magrawlas: Hope your race can still take place!

jhudak: It would be great if you ended up running the half at Northern Ohio!  Looking through all the regulations they have, one that stuck out was no water stops on the course. I'm not used to carrying a bottle so I'll have to practice that. Hopefully it will be nice and cold on Nov. 1 so fluid replacement will not be a big concern.

cinnamon: You're tough as nails! I admit I am one of those fast course, ideal weather seekers who cares only about my time. Maybe partly because I'm not fast enough to be a contender for AG placements like you, DW, cal and Mikkey. I do think once I (hopefully) run under 2:50, I will care less about time and just run some courses for the overall challenge. We'll see.

Cal: CIM should hire you as a PR frontman; you do a great job to promote it. I'd like to run it at some point, maybe in conjunction with a visit to some friends in CA, but not sure when that would happen.

2:52:16 (2018)

BTW, Diamond League Monaco is today; starts in a couple of hours. Some great races scheduled: most interesting to me is the men's 5000 with Cheptegei going for the WR. Will be even tougher than normal since the weather is not ideal (warm and humid) but it should be a fast one regardless. Women's 5000 will also be great with Hassan and Gidey. Men's 1500, 800 and steeple and women's 1000 will also be good.

Wow, that 5000m was beautiful to watch! 12:35.36, new WR. After that, Kenny's 10,000 WR should be easy for him to get.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Is that less than 1 minute per 400?

VDOT 53.37 

John Weigel

4:04 pace per mile

Is that less than 1 minute per 400?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

jhudak: It would be great if you ended up running the half at Northern Ohio!  Looking through all the regulations they have, one that stuck out was no water stops on the course. I'm not used to carrying a bottle so I'll have to practice that. Hopefully it will be nice and cold on Nov. 1 so fluid replacement will not be a big concern.

That one stuck out to me also.  I regularly carry a water bottle in longer races, so that's a non-issue for me, but I generally need to refill it at least once for a marathon.  I am surprised that they won't at least have a station where one can refill their own bottle.

Richmond, incidentally, announced their race plan which does include water stations.  They've mapped out a course on a local paved trail, which will be "open" for a 2 week period from 5 am to 5:30 pm each day,  The "race course" is marked with start/finish line, mile markers, and unmanned water bottle refill stations.  Basically you run that course at the time of your choice within the window.

I actually would go for this if there were no other options, except.....the official race course is on a trail that has several at grade crossings, including one busy road.  And there will be no course marshals or similar to stop traffic.

So it's looking like Northern Ohio/Harrisburg/White River for me.  Fingers crossed.

Mankato Half-marathon went virtual, so I need to find a tune-up race as well.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

4:04 pace per mile

It's 4:03.07 per mile. 60.43 seconds/lap for 12.5 laps. Letsrun has a nice article on it:

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2020/08/joshua-cheptegei-runs-1235-36-to-break-5000-meter-world-record-in-monaco/