2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Also Jakob Ingebrigtesen ran a 3.28 1500m at the same event. I think hes 19

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Also Jakob Ingebrigtesen ran a 3.28 1500m at the same event. I think hes 19

That was a great race also; with that Jakob took the European record from Mo Farah. Crazy how fast the first lap was!! Speaking of Mo, I wonder if he's having second thoughts about switching from the marathon to the 10,000m for Tokyo... with Cheptegei and Kipruto running the 10k it will be a tough field. I guess the marathon would have the same issues for him with Kipchoge and Bekele.

DW: That's interesting what Richmond is doing. I would also have concerns about traffic at those crossings. It's a decent fallback option in case everything else falls through. Similar situation for me with Bucks County.

2:52:16 (2018)

cinnamon girl

M: 8 mi (8:18)  90*
        T: 7.5 mi with 5 x 800 (255, 254, 258, 258, 258) with 400/2:30 rec   86* and windy
        W: 7.1 mi (8:08)   75* and windy
        T: 7 mi (8:01)   82*
        F: 7.1 mi (8:10)   88*
        S: 8.5 mi with 2 x 1.5 mi (9:41, 9:30) + 1 x 1 mi (6:28) with 5 min rec   97*
        S: 8 mi easy progression (7:43)  85*

Saturday I had wanted 4 x 1.5 even though I knew it probably wasn’t going to happen, but I still got 4 miles of faster running .. and I would like to be closer to 60 miles .. but

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

That was a great race also; with that Jakob took the European record from Mo Farah. Crazy how fast the first lap was!! Speaking of Mo, I wonder if he's having second thoughts about switching from the marathon to the 10,000m for Tokyo... with Cheptegei and Kipruto running the 10k it will be a tough field. I guess the marathon would have the same issues for him with Kipchoge and Bekele.

Well if Tokyo actually happens next year then Mo would be 38 and I doubt if he’d even get a medal. Cheptegei pretty much ran a WR in time trial conditions....solo, with little crowd atmosphere AND less than ideal weather conditions. Mo relies on his finish kick, but it would be non existent if he had to run at WR pace for 11 laps.    He’s competent at the marathon, but has never looked dangerous...and even less so after London 2019.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Well if Tokyo actually happens next year then Mo would be 38 and I doubt if he’d even get a medal. Cheptegei pretty much ran a WR in time trial conditions....solo, with little crowd atmosphere AND less than ideal weather conditions. Mo relies on his finish kick, but it would be non existent if he had to run at WR pace for 11 laps.    He’s competent at the marathon, but has never looked dangerous...and even less so after London 2019.

The key would be how the 10k plays out. If it's slow and tactical race then Mo, even being long in the tooth, might have a chance. Guys like Cheptegei and Kipruto should not let that happen, but in Rio I remember Kamworor and the Kenyans were planning to make it a fast race to burn the kick out of Mo and then....they let it be a slower race and play into his hands. They need to have the courage to go out hard.

Cinnamon: 97 degrees and you're running a track workout?? With long intervals?? Hardcore. If I had to run in 97 deg weather, I just wouldn't run. 

My week: The long run today was the main workout. Plan was to do 12 easy then 8 at around 6:25-6:30, but I had to take an easy mile towards the end. I probably ran the first 12 too fast, but this was an all pavement run, wearing fast shoes (Adidas Adios 4) and low 7s just felt good. Guilty of dead-zoning!

Distance   Pace   Gain
            Tue   Morning Run   10.10   8:13   646
            Wed   Morning Run   10.12   8:00   636
            Thu   Morning Run w/ 10 x 1 min   13.33   7:44   781
            Fri   Morning Run   6.21   8:33   469
            Sat   Trails in Sega Park   8.12   9:04   640
            Sun   Long run: 12E + 6@6:24 + 1E + 1@6:18   20.02   6:57   784

Total distance: 67.91 mi

cinnamon girl

JT: whattheheck?! Where'd you pull that long run out of! You're getting in shape!  Nice run and week!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT: whattheheck?! Where'd you pull that long run out of! You're getting in shape!  Nice run and week!

Was coming in here just to say the same thing. Saw that on Strava and honestly was blown away. I really hope you get a chance to race this fall. Your elusive 2:4X is around the corner 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

jhudak55

58.1 miles

M: 3.1 miles easy (9:24)

T: 7.4 miles with a 3 mile tempo (6:34, 6:30, 6:30)

W: 12.2 miles easy (8:43)

T: 5.2 miles easy (9:29)

F: 5.1 miles easy (9:22)

S: 16 mile long run with 8 at marathon pace, averaged 7:20 for the MP portion

S: 9.1 miles easy (8:45)

This was week two of an 18 week marathon block. I'm doing the Pfitzinger 18/70 plan with a few added recovery runs and some additional tempos. I was pretty sluggish the last two weeks so I'm working on keeping the recovery runs a lot slower, shooting for ~9:30 pace.

JT: Nice long run! I watched a replay of the WR 5,000. I found it incredible how calm and relaxed Cheptegei looked the entire time. Even after finishing he didn't even put his hands on his knees, it looked like he just finished a moderate workout.

Cinnamon: Nice week. Those temperatures are rough.

Gizmo2019

Yeah but you’ll need to turn the HRM off as it would look suspicious if you “run” at 70bpm for the duration. 

Haha true!

Gizmo2019

Gizmo I don't know why Disney WORLD can be open and not disney LAND other than Gavin Newsome. Theme parks are outside. Masks and gloves. Social distancing. Limited capacity. It literally fits with every single activity that's allowed. I'm more worried about people from the Bay Area traveling to Lake Tahoe and spreading COVID 19 so I'd PAY MONEY for Disneyland to open and keep the tourists in LA. More people probably catch it from the gym than being outside.

Yes for sure, it’s Gavin verse Fla mentality. Or maybe...”you guys be the guinea pigs first and let’s see what happens”

which I’m totally happy with.

yes I feel fit Tahoe. I have neighbors driving up there back and forth..who knows where else they’ve been.

i theme park and marathons are similar due to crowding. You can limit ppl but for some reason, humans tend be drawn to eachothers bodies. Not sure why. But if it’s like 100 ppl 50 ppl in a given space..it’s lower risk.

not all ppl are cognizant of the rules and reasons and that is why we are in the situation today.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hey all - some nice weeks there.  JTReeves - I really hope you get to race this fall.  That goes for all of us, obviously, but I'd really like to see you get a chance to show off your fitness.

My belated week:

48 miles, 17 "miles" of pool-running.
                        M: 5.5 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                        T: 12 miles, including 6 Iwo Jima hill repeats (about 2:00 up, 90 second easy jog, 30 second stride, and 80 second jog to bottom of hill). Followed with leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.
                        W: 5 miles very easy on treadmill (9:50), streaming yoga, and 7 miles easy (9:11) plus drills and two strides
                        Th: upper body weights/core and 6 "miles" of pool-running
                        F: 12 miles, including 5x 4 minutes on, 3 minutes jog. (paces for on were 6:28-6:46 ish according to Garmin), full rest and then 6x30 seconds on, 30 seconds jog. Followed with leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.
                        Sa: 12 miles very easy (9:17), plus drills, four hill strides.  Streaming yoga class in afternoon.
                        Su: upper body weights/core, streaming yoga, and 5.5 "miles" of pool-running.

I skipped a long run on Sunday because I'm going to race a road mile on Wednesday evening (assuming no thunderstorms and no last minute cancellations).  It's a race I do every year (Harrisburg Mile) but it's on a different course this year and is also being run with a rolling start.    It will be good to race again, and it will also give me a chance to check out how these Covid protocols work.  JTReeves - this is the same group that manages the Harrisburg Marathon, so I imagine this race will in some sense be a learning experience and test run for them.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Resident Historian

Once and almost a runner again -- 11 miles last week in 2's and 3's. Piriformis is still a major PITA; it gets sore after 1+ miles continuous, then I need to stretch it out. But it's getting better, slowly.

Some nice weeks above! 
                          Hope everyone in race training does get a chance to actually race. In July, I identified a few possibilities for the fall (half or full), but they're all cancelled now, some as far ahead as November.

DW - Hope your mile race goes well for both performance and COVID protocolls. 
                          Magrawlas -- I'm following the discussion on the Sub-1:30 half, it looks like there may still be chance that Wellington does run.
                          JT - I agree with Cinnamon and JMac. Find a race!

Those Diamond League races were amazing!

For long-run pace, I try to do the early-cycle runs pretty easy, as much as 1:30/~16% slower than MP. That gives a good balance of time-on-feet for endurance and not getting overtired. As the cycle progresses, the LR pace gets closer to MP (1 min. to 45 secs -- 11-8% -- slower), often as a progression. As the race approaches, the long run at least every other week will include a good chunk of MP -- up to 10-12 miles.

I'm a strong believer in getting a high percentage of mileage on weekdays; I'll not exhaust myself on a long run. If I've run out of gas at, say, 16-18 miles in, I'll cut the long run short rather than jeopardize the next days. Never got to Cinnamon's stage of 18-22 miles at ~5% slower, but I do approve for someone in good shape.  This approach has worked for me and runners I've coached (some want more MP, some find 10 miles too much).

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Cinnamon, JMac: Thanks for the vote of confidence! I was actually kind of disappointed in that run since I cut the MP section short but feel better about it now. Still 9-11 weeks until my race, depending on which one it ends up being, so plenty of time to get in shape. I know I'll get a boost once temps start to cool off.

jhudak: Nice week and good consistency in getting a tempo run in each week. I agree about Cheptegei looking relaxed. He at least looked somewhat tired at the end and stopped running; after Kenny's 5k WR he just keeps running after crossing the line. I guess slowing down from 4 min pace to 6 min pace is for them what going from running to standing, hands on knees, dry heaving is for us! 

DW: Thanks, and right back at you; you deserve a good marathon after what you've had to deal with the last couple times around. I think we'll get a chance; I'm optimistic about Northern Ohio and even Suffolk County. Good luck in your mile race. Maybe you'll hear some inside info at that on the Harrisburg marathon. Their website not being updated worries me a bit, but as you noted the fact that they are running the mile race is a positive sign.

Longboat: Hoping the piriformis continues to improve. I wish Andres was still posting here; he could offer some good advice on piriformis stretches.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cinnamon, JMac: Thanks for the vote of confidence! I was actually kind of disappointed in that run since I cut the MP section short but feel better about it now. Still 9-11 weeks until my race, depending on which one it ends up being, so plenty of time to get in shape. I know I'll get a boost once temps start to cool off.

I think that was the smart thing to do rather than be a “hero” and knock yourself out for a few days recovering. When I’ve been in marathon training mode pretty much all my quality workouts are on the fly and nothing is set in stone.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

If 2020 is going to suck I might as well TRY some marathon training. After all....marathon training sucks.

12x400 today aiming for a 6:00/mi pace (82-84 seconds) was a bout as bad as it needed to be to get me into gear. Hit a low point where I didn't think I'd make the whole workout and just worked right though it. Quitting is a contagious virus and I'm not catching it this early in marathon training season.

EDIT: Oh and the air quality was 91 here. 150 is a NO RUN day for me. Smoke from fires isn't uncommon during marathon season and I think it's happened for every cycle I've done. At least it isn't humidity. I also cherry picked the weather. Typically I'd be doing speed work on lunch in the mid 80s or low 90s to increase the suck factor. This was practically ideal weather.

EDIT : 2

Race predictors....are they accurate? Do people put a lot of stock in them other than JMac and Darkwave?

http://www.runningfoundation.com/Pace_Charts/RaceTimePredictorChart.html.htm

https://lukehumphreyrunning.com/hmmcalculator/race_equivalency_calculator.php

Both of these say I need to run a sub 39 10k to support a sub 3 marathon. 6:17/mi pace seems BLAZING fast. STUPID fast. Are these based off being in shape to race the distance on the day of? There is a local flat out and back 10k organized (unofficial race due to COVID 19) measured by GPS and I've run the course enough to say "yeah it's a 6.2ish mile loop). 6:17 just seems UNGODLY fast and I've actually run a sub 3 marathon (on a downhill course) once. I WAS thinking about heading to the 10k for a time trial type event but after looking at the time I have to hit it seems ridiculous to even try.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22