2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Marky_Mark_17

AceHarris - yeah there is still quite a lot of flex in the Freedom 2 upper even with the improved support around the ankle.

I'd wear the Kinvara's for everything if they were more durable.  Amazing shoe.  I must've gone through close to 10 pairs going back to the Kinvara 7.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

kramrunner

Late weekly...

*** Toledo 2020, Week 8 ***
      M       01/06           01 26 40       10.4 w/ 6x 100m 
      T        01/07           01 18 01        9.36       +22min bike pm
      W       01/08           -- -- --            URD felt tired... prob a little de-hydrated & poor sleep
      Th      01/09           01 24 08       10.51                  +23min bike pm
      F        01/10           01 29 08       10.85       
      S        01/11           01 14 11         9.0         tm hammering rain
      S        01/12           02 00 54       15.33      tm w/ 8:30->7:10 prog, 
                                                          ====

Solid week. I skipped the planned T session on Tue as I had a tight left quad. That had resolved by the weekend, so I had planned to add a little quality into a planned easy long run instead. We got hammered with rain and ice over the weekend and hence I did my long run on the TM. My head wasn't quite there for a long run on the tm just yet, so I cut it off at 2hrs. Happy enough overall with a solid progression run.

Now I'm off to wash my eyes out after all those budgie smuggler images... on a more serious note, it is so absurd the length of shorts in basketball/soccer/generic-running. No latent homophobia there at all, move along.

Best of luck to Andres this weekend!

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

Marky_Mark_17

Andres - all the best this weekend!!  It will be great to see what you can do with a really solid cycle behind you.  If I'm correct, it looks like there might be a cooler period coming through from Sunday onwards which should be helpful as well?

Darkwave - good luck to you as well, hopefully those hamstring issues are behind you and you get what you need from the race!

I snuck my long run in today (Thursday)... 32k / 20 miles with 2x5k at marathon pace since I've got a 10k race on Sunday and then we're headed off snowboarding on Tuesday night.

This Sunday's 10k might be... interesting.... with a long run 3 days out but it's just a rust-buster anyway (and it's not the world's fastest course either).  It's the first in a 3 race series but they've moved some of the events around so anyone's guess what the field will look like.  One of my clubmates, Mark Boyce, has won the series the last 2 years, I know he's not running though which is a shame as we'd be pretty closely matched at the moment for a summer 10k.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

OMR

Fargo marathon:  It is ridiculously flat, yet people complain that you might have to run up a couple of banks that are maybe 20 feet.  I can easily run 20-30 miles here and not gain more than about 10 feet of elevation.  It is mostly concrete, mostly in residential neighborhoods.  It can be windy, and it's the Red River Valley, so if the wind is coming from the west, it is unimpeded from eastern Montana, and it can be relentless.  It could snow, or be hot and humid.  But if you catch it on a good day, it can be fast.  And yes, the start/finish in an indoor stadium is wonderful, especially if it's snowing...umm, I mean raining...umm, I mean sunny, dry, and 50 degrees.  ;-)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Fargo marathon:  It is ridiculously flat, yet people complain that you might have to run up a couple of banks that are maybe 20 feet.  I can easily run 20-30 miles here and not gain more than about 10 feet of elevation.  It is mostly concrete, mostly in residential neighborhoods.  It can be windy, and it's the Red River Valley, so if the wind is coming from the west, it is unimpeded from eastern Montana, and it can be relentless.  It could snow, or be hot and humid.  But if you catch it on a good day, it can be fast.  And yes, the start/finish in an indoor stadium is wonderful, especially if it's snowing...umm, I mean raining...umm, I mean sunny, dry, and 50 degrees.  ;-)

Probably because it’s not a net downhill course......maybe some people complain because if they run up 20 feet, then they expect to run 40 feet downhill shortly after.  Am I right Cal?  

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Andres1045

Thanks guys! My bib # is 3052 if anyone is interested.

Mark - if the forecast holds, it should be just about perfect. Temps in the low 50s throughout, dry and with a good chance of overcast. There might be a bit of wind (10 to 15mph, or 8.5 to 13 knots (as a nation of sailors, are you Kiwis cool with knots????)). Wind is out of the NNE, which shouldn't be too bad for the full course (dw, there's a section in the half where you're likely to feel it. Between marker 9 and 11. Right around 9.5 there is a new building that really caused some wind issues last year. For a quarter of a mile I felt like I was running in place. If you see a group as you're coming on to Montrose, might be worth sticking with them until you pass that building. They added a second tower since last year right next door, too.) I'm excited to see what I can do! It's been too long since I've run a good marathon.

Upcoming races: Boston

Running Problem

Problem Child

Andres I was 3062 for CIM so I'm predicting you'll have a day just a little bit better than I had at CIM.

Dwave Good luck. Hope the hammy is feeling good.

OMR Any woodchippers along the way? Can I get a "you betcha" from the crowds? Today's run is sponsored by Mother Nature and the letters are Eff and Ewe. 20 MPH winds with a "feels like 33" attached to it...so summer for you. You feeling good about Black Canyons yet?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Andres - this is a 100% no excuses marathon for you. You crushed your cycle, you're getting some absolutely perfect weather. The only question is execution. Really excited to see what you can do. You wearing the CheaterFly?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

OMR

MIkkey:  Ha!  You're right...cal would not do well here.  ;-)

Brew:  Oh ya, you betcha, don'tcha know.  Woodchippers:  Rumor has it if you fall behind the cutoff, there are a couple of dudes pulling a woodchipper behind an F150 4x4.  Moorhead does (during the summer) collect yard waste, including tree trimmings.  For the latter, a couple of guys do drive around pulling one.  I don't "think" they throw any people in them, but then again, there are a few guys I used to see running around town that I no longer see...sssoooooo...  Black Canyon:  I'm feeling OK about it.  I'm having an interesting experience with my legs.  Because of all of the incline running I've been doing (different things like 1M @ 9%, then 8%, then 7%...and down to 1%), trying to run fast is weird.  So, I'm looking forward to post-BC, so I can reduce the hill running a bit and work more on speed.  I think it's still in there somewhere...just gotta find it.  Weather:  It got down to -22 (actual temperature) and -42 (feels like) this morning, so yes, "feels like 33" would be heavenly right about now.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks guys! My bib # is 3052 if anyone is interested.

Mark - if the forecast holds, it should be just about perfect. Temps in the low 50s throughout, dry and with a good chance of overcast. There might be a bit of wind (10 to 15mph, or 8.5 to 13 knots (as a nation of sailors, are you Kiwis cool with knots????)). Wind is out of the NNE, which shouldn't be too bad for the full course (dw, there's a section in the half where you're likely to feel it. Between marker 9 and 11. Right around 9.5 there is a new building that really caused some wind issues last year. For a quarter of a mile I felt like I was running in place. If you see a group as you're coming on to Montrose, might be worth sticking with them until you pass that building. They added a second tower since last year right next door, too.) I'm excited to see what I can do! It's been too long since I've run a good marathon.

Thanks!  I ran Houston two years ago, and remember that north segment as a bit lonely.  For everyone else, the half marathon is essentially a square with a little tail sticking out on the NE side,  You start by running west, then do a loop of the square counter-clockwise (so west, south, east).  Then, at around mile 8 while we are heading east, the marathoners split off to go do their own thing.  Then the half marathon course turns north to complete the square before taking the little tail back east to the finish.

This means, of course, that I may find a good pack to run with, and then find out just before I turn into the wind that they were all marathoners Big grin.  If so, I'll just look for others. There should be tall guys around my pace.

But yeah, overall, that's a pretty good forecast.  And thanks for the warning about the building at 9.5.

[edit: bib 20334]

Hamstring update - it's good to go.  I did a short track workout on Tuesday, and it was fine.  I think this was a fortunate case of catching something at just the right time.  I wish I hadn't missed a week's worth of track workouts, and a two week taper for a half-marathon in the middle of marathon training isn't normally a thing, but we'll see how it works out.

OMR - I am amused about the woodchippers.  Less amused by the -22.  How many layers does one wear in that in order to run?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

OMR - I am amused about the woodchippers.  Less amused by the -22.  How many layers does one wear in that in order to run?

My guess is "treadmill" if we're taking bets on the number of layers required to run in -22. If Kev4x100 was still here he'd probably say 4. I think he did a few in that cold of weather with photos of his eyebrows looking like the roof of a cabin in the winter.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Andres1045

Andres - this is a 100% no excuses marathon for you. You crushed your cycle, you're getting some absolutely perfect weather. The only question is execution. Really excited to see what you can do. You wearing the CheaterFly?

I'm going with the new Adidas Adios 5's. I picked up a pair this week and ran the past couple of days with them. They feel great. Still had some questions about how my feet would feel in the 4%'s after the last two races, so I was leaning heavily towards using the Adidas. Then with the news this week that there's a chance they could get banned, that totally sealed it. While I'd love to be in this good of shape again and continue to improve in the marathon, I don't want to run the risk of getting a long-lasting, if not forever, PR to then have to apply an asterisk. But I'm definitely not one of those guys that insist that they're cheater shoes.

Brew - I'm cool with that! You executed perfectly. Hopefully I can do so too.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm going with the new Adidas Adios 5's. I picked up a pair this week and ran the past couple of days with them. They feel great. Still had some questions about how my feet would feel in the 4%'s after the last two races, so I was leaning heavily towards using the Adidas. Then with the news this week that there's a chance they could get banned, that totally sealed it. While I'd love to be in this good of shape again and continue to improve in the marathon, I don't want to run the risk of getting a long-lasting, if not forever, PR to then have to apply an asterisk. But I'm definitely not one of those guys that insist that they're cheater shoes.

Brew - I'm cool with that! You executed perfectly. Hopefully I can do so too.

Interesting - would love to know what you think of the Adios 5s.  I've been stocking up on the 4s, since I really like that shoe.  I've been toying with using the 4 as a marathon shoe, but likely will not, since I've been having some neuroma issues with it at the end of long runs.  (I think I can fix the neuroma issue by relacing the shoes, but haven't tested it out with a long run yet).

Also - I _really_ don't  think they're going to ban the VF - that's just click bait.  I'm thinking they'll probably come up with some standard for future shoes, which they should.  Quite possibly one that will knock out the Alphafly, if they can figure out how to do that.  But the VF and the other similar shoes currently on the market will be fine.  There's just too many shoes out there, and too many companies that have made investments.  Additionally, it's going to be really hard to craft a regulation that would knock out the VF while allowing less controversial shoes like the Adios, Mizuno wave plate shoes, and Hokas to stay out there.  (unless you ban carbon fiber.  In which case everyone will come up with something else)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Andres1045

Interesting - would love to know what you think of the Adios 5s.  I've been stocking up on the 4s, since I really like that shoe.  I've been toying with using the 4 as a marathon shoe, but likely will not, since I've been having some neuroma issues with it at the end of long runs.  (I think I can fix the neuroma issue by relacing the shoes, but haven't tested it out with a long run yet).

Also - I _really_ don't  think they're going to ban the VF - that's just click bait.  I'm thinking they'll probably come up with some standard for future shoes, which they should.  Quite possibly one that will knock out the Alphafly, if they can figure out how to do that.  But the VF and the other similar shoes currently on the market will be fine.  There's just too many shoes out there, and too many companies that have made investments.  Additionally, it's going to be really hard to craft a regulation that would knock out the VF while allowing less controversial shoes like the Adios, Mizuno wave plate shoes, and Hokas to stay out there.  (unless you ban carbon fiber.  In which case everyone will come up with something else)

I love the 4's. I have nearly 600 miles in one pair, and 100 in another. I'll let you know what I think of the 5's. They seem quite similar so far, but with slightly more grip.

I agree that it seems unlikely they'll ban what's already out there. And I agree that there does not seem to be an easy way to address the issue. Assuming they don't ban them, I can't wait until all of the shoe companies catch up. Hopefully most of the whining will die down at that point (and I can find a pair that fit my feet a little better).

CalBears

MIkkey:  Ha!  You're right...cal would not do well here.  ;-)

Well... This statement is pretty bold, actually... That cal person ran 2:53 in Chicago in 2013, when he was not in his best shape. Btw, OMR, when did you check last the elevation profile of your PR marathon? 

Andres, good luck on Sunday! - definitely expecting at least sub 2:50 from you if the weather is good enough. Your training was really good and uninterrupted.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile