2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave I was wondering how you'd take a wrong turn in a mile race until I realized they aren't all an out and back course. I was looking for it on Strava but apparently it was too early. Night run I assume.

me: smoke is filling the area. Jeep projects taking over (removing and reinstalling the transmission to fix a coolant leak) and running with Air Quality Index above 150 ISN'T happening. I'm not marathon training PER SE so I don't need to drive 30 minutes south to come up with a long run course.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Magrawlas

Longboat,  They announced last Monday that the Wellington marathon is going ahead as planned. For that to happen we have to move down a covid alert level. This is being decided and announced tomorrow so fingers crossed. Our numbers with the new outbreak are looking pretty good despite what D Trump had to say about our "Huge resurgence"

Marky,  Sorry to see the Mount Maunganui half has been postponed. I think Rotorua has a good chance of going ahead. If Wellington gets canned I'll come and do Rotorua with you and you can pace me

Thanks to everyone for sending hope my way for wellington. I've got big respect for all the high mileage that gets run with no real race goal insight, don't know if i'd have the motivation.

PS  Is there a movement to go metric in the states? about time you guys entered the modern world me thinks.

Sure would make it easier to convert your crazy miles and temps into something understandable...hahaha

Marky_Mark_17

Thanks to everyone for sending hope my way for wellington. I've got big respect for all the high mileage that gets run with no real race goal insight, don't know if i'd have the motivation.

I see they've decided to make the call tomorrow based on the government's announcement at 1pm.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  I think it's the right call as there's a good chance Wellington will go to Alert Level 1 and the race can go ahead, but who'd want to be a race director right now?!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

PS  Is there a movement to go metric in the states? about time you guys entered the modern world me thinks.

Sure would make it easier to convert your crazy miles and temps into something understandable...hahaha

So...as Commander Keen noted in either this thread or the other, Fahrenheit allows for so much more fine tuning of temperature reporting than Celsius does.  And 26.2 miles sounds a lot less imposing than 42.2 km.  Plus "road 1609m" doesn't quite have the same ring as "road mile"

So my vote is no.  I'd much rather get rid of daylight savings time.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

There is an app for that...conversion. You can download it or multiply by 1.6 something.   

40F = 4.4 C. 
            60F = 15.5 C. 
            80F = 26 C.
            100F = 38 C.

Just remember those and you won’t need to convert. 

oh and we use the metric system for liquor and wine. 750mL is a good starting point for an alcohol purchase.

EDIT: 1760 yards is a mile. Arizona and Hawaii don’t observe daylight savings time.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

oh and we use the metric system for liquor and wine. 750mL is a good starting point for an alcohol purchase.

My Moose Mug holds exactly 450ml of beer. 

At school I was told to double C and add 30 which roughly gives you F.

DW - Sorry about the wrong turn and you took the obvious route if the marshals weren’t directing you. I don’t think I’d ever want to race a mile unless it was point to point in a straight line and a tailwind.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

DW: The Harrisburg course definitely is pretty twisty-turny. Northern Ohio looks simpler, just a giant loop, but still with a lot of turns. Hopefully it is well-marked or manned. Suffolk County and Bucks County are simple out and backs so less risk of getting lost. Especially Bucks County, where the towpath has a river on one side and a canal on the other.

Magrawlas: Hope you get the go-ahead for your race!

Mikkey: Great hilly long run today. Was that in the area where your marathon will be?

My week: Good overall. No huge workout this week to allow recovery from the LR with quality last Sunday. We had some cool mornings this week which was nice. Easy run HR is dropping; now some runs are averaging below 130 which is a good sign.

Distance   Pace   Gain
                Tue   Morning Run   10.14   8:11   640
                Wed   Morning Run w/ 10 x 2 min on/2 min off   14.11   7:29   784
                Thu   Morning Run   8.27   8:19   558
                Fri   Morning Run   10.14   8:01   640
                Sat   Trails in Sega Park   8.02   8:59   600
                Sun   Long run   18.21   8:01   1447

Total distance: 68.90 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

JT Reeves - I was thinking the same thing about the Northern Ohio course versus the Harrisburg one.  However, my hunch is that they may revise the Harrisburg course to make it easier to manage.  Nice week.  Really good to see where you are.

Mikkey - I've raced several road miles with turns - some of them are just a big U (the Liberty Mile in Pittsburgh) which are still very fast.  Others can be quite slow - I did one that required a 180 turn around a cone - very challenging at mile pace.

My week.

48 miles, 2000 yards of swimming, 1:50 of pool-running.
                  M: 8 miles, including a short tune-up workout of 4x400 conservative with 30 second jog (1:39, 1:37, 1:37, 1:38) and then 4x200 with 80 second recovery (43, 42, 41, 41). 1500 yards swimming after.
                  T: 8 miles very easy (9:17) plus strides.
                  W: In the evening, 4 mile warm-up and then raced the Harrisburg mile - officially running 6:55 after taking a wrong turn. 1 mile cooldown after.
                  Th: 55 minutes of pool-running and streaming yoga
                  F: 10 miles very easy (9:42) followed by upper body weights/core
                  Sa: 16 miles (9:02) - intended to be progressive but struggled in the heat/humidity. Followed with lotsa water/electrolytes, leg injury prevention work, and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                  Su: streaming yoga and 55 minutes of pool-running.

Well, this was a sucky week. The 6:55 certainly doesn't reflect my fitness, but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have broken 6 minutes without the wrong turn. I'm stunned by how much fitness I've lost during this hamstring finagle. I think some of it is also the longterm erosion of strength from losing some key parts of my fitness program. Two things I regularly did were a) sauna training at 180 degrees to develop heat/humidity tolerance and b) heavy leg stuff at the gym (barbell split squats and lunges; glute bridges with a weighted barbell on hips). And I just can't replicate that stuff at home since I don't have the equipment. I can do body weight stuff, and use kettle bells, etc. But it just doesn't get me exactly what I need.  Our gyms are open, and I'm starting to get tempted to sneak in for 15 minutes or so to do what I need to do.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DW: I (belatedly) read your race report on the mile. I'm shocked the volunteers said nothing when you went by!! And looking at the picture of that point in the course, I would have gone the same way you did. Anyway, I wouldn't put too much into this; you were probably holding back to protect your hamstring (and rightly so), and based on your training you're in shape for well under 6 min. There's plenty of time to get fully healed and in marathon race shape by November.

Well, my set of marathons possibilities just shrank from 4 to 3. Got an e-mail from Suffolk County that they are going virtual. It was not surprising to me; I thought that one was least likely to proceed. I think my best bets are still Northern Ohio and Bucks County. I'm a bit skeptical about Harrisburg; with a typical size of 500-600 runners I think it's a bit too large to proceed. We'll see... If the half DW mentioned goes smoothly next month it should bode well for the full taking place.

2:52:16 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Magrawlas - bummer that the Wellington Marathon had to cancel.  It seems like the locally run events are still giving themselves every chance to go ahead (like Wellington and Rotorua) but some of the internationally run ones (like Hawkes Bay) have already pulled the pin.  I really hope Rotorua can still happen - if the situation keeps improving I think it should be OK.  Hopefully catch you there!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

jhudak55

DW: That's a tough break on the wrong turn. Do you think you might have been running your interval workouts too slow to be fully prepared for the mile because you were balancing hamstring recovery? It appears that your current marathon pace and mile pace (based on your splits) are only about 45 seconds apart. I'd say once the hamstring is fully recovered you'll have an awesome opportunity to run a much faster mile.

Magrawlas: Have they made a determination on whether or not you'll get to run?

JT: Nice week. I keep looking at the weather waiting for that break into cooler weather.

My week: Pretty good week other than the long run on Sunday. Decided I needed the extra sleep, didn't get out until 9 AM and paid for it. The last 3 miles were a slog.

61.0 miles

M: 3.1 miles easy (9:46)

T: 8.4 miles with a 4 mile tempo (6:29, 6:32, 6:33, 6:30)

W: 5.2 miles easy (8:45)

T: 13 mile medium long run (8:50)

F: 5.2 miles easy (9:20)

S: 11 miles easy (8:47)

S: 15 mile long run (8:48)

Magrawlas

Magrawlas - bummer that the Wellington Marathon had to cancel.  It seems like the locally run events are still giving themselves every chance to go ahead (like Wellington and Rotorua) but some of the internationally run ones (like Hawkes Bay) have already pulled the pin.  I really hope Rotorua can still happen - if the situation keeps improving I think it should be OK.  Hopefully catch you there!

Thanks Mark, I'm wondering what to do. I think quite a few people are going to run the race on Sunday anyway. I might join them and I think you can register with Virtual races, haven't looked into it yet. Were over four weeks away from Rotorua, we should be good for that allright.

There is the Masterton marathon on October 10th, last year a grand total of 23 people ran it!

DW Daylight savings is great! It's only a problem if you live near the equator or milk cows for a living

Jhudac and JT Yup, goneburger

Running Problem and MikeyThanks for the conversion equations. Good to know I wont accidently drink far to much alcohol ( or to little) when visiting the States! Another equation in C is... Zero = freezing point. 10-16 = perfect for running. 20 = comfortable for general operations. 25-30 = think about heading to the beach. 40 = hide under a rock and keep movements to a minimum. 50 = do you really like living in the desert?

dw - maybe try running a 1mi TT on the track to get confirmation of what's going on?  I'd be surprised if you were more than 10secs off your baseline.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Well, my set of marathons possibilities just shrank from 4 to 3. Got an e-mail from Suffolk County that they are going virtual. It was not surprising to me; I thought that one was least likely to proceed. I think my best bets are still Northern Ohio and Bucks County. I'm a bit skeptical about Harrisburg; with a typical size of 500-600 runners I think it's a bit too large to proceed. We'll see... If the half DW mentioned goes smoothly next month it should bode well for the full taking place.

I think Northern Ohio is a good bet, but I'm also liking Harrisburg.  BTW, the mile ended up being about 400 runners, according to local news.  And while 500-600 is more to manage, it's also easier to spread people along a longer course.

I'm also feeling a bit naively positive about CIM.  All sorts of reasons why it won't happen, but....they also sent out a questionnaire last week asking what modifications people would accept in order to run the race (i.e. masks, no buses to the start, rolling start).  To me, that's encouraging because it indicates that they are thinking creatively about how to make it happen.

DW: That's a tough break on the wrong turn. Do you think you might have been running your interval workouts too slow to be fully prepared for the mile because you were balancing hamstring recovery? It appears that your current marathon pace and mile pace (based on your splits) are only about 45 seconds apart. I'd say once the hamstring is fully recovered you'll have an awesome opportunity to run a much faster mile.

Oh, I definitely wasn't well trained for the mile.  No question there - my only fast running had been the road 200s two days before.   And it wasn't really a super fast course (though not a slow one either).  My frustration with my fitness is more from the crash and burn on the Saturday long run.

Not sure why you think my current marathon pace and mile pace are so close....I'm nowhere near the shape I would need to be to hold 6:45 for the marathon right now.

dw - maybe try running a 1mi TT on the track to get confirmation of what's going on?  I'd be surprised if you were more than 10secs off your baseline.

So...in one sense I easily could - my running team is now holding weekly time trials on the track each Thursday.  But...I've avoiding racing on the track the past few years because it always resulted in injury.   And my PT actually just cleared me to try a careful workout on the track tomorrow - we've been avoiding the track because of the stresses of constant turning.  So I'm just really reluctant to do a time trial on the track, lest I set myself back.

BTW, broader thanks for all the feedback and thoughts, guys.  I was just a bit in the dumps last night.  Hopefully this too shall pass.

Marky_Mark_17

Thanks Mark, I'm wondering what to do. I think quite a few people are going to run the race on Sunday anyway. I might join them and I think you can register with Virtual races, haven't looked into it yet. Were over four weeks away from Rotorua, we should be good for that allright.

There is the Masterton marathon on October 10th, last year a grand total of 23 people ran it!

That's a damn good tip re Masterton.  I just checked the website and, even better, it turns out it's an Athletics NZ certified course!  I now officially have a new backup plan if Rotorua can't go ahead.  It looks like quite a nice course actually, nice countryside running but nothing too tough other than a few small rollers and one long gradual climb.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"