2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Magrawlas

Yes good to have another option. Masterton is run by a small and aging harrier club. They might be in for the biggest numbers of runners in years!

I've decided to run my race on Sunday as close to the intended course as possible. There will be at least a few doing the same and quite a lot running the half. I'm going to run with a hydration backpack which I have no experience with so will be interesting...

The timing and a couple of those hills in Rotorua put me off. Plus having no family and friends around to see me do it would be a bit of a bummer. Hope it comes off for you suppose to be a great event that the locals really get behind.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thanks Mark, I'm wondering what to do. I think quite a few people are going to run the race on Sunday anyway. I might join them and I think you can register with Virtual races, haven't looked into it yet. Were over four weeks away from Rotorua, we should be good for that allright.

There is the Masterton marathon on October 10th, last year a grand total of 23 people ran it!

DW Daylight savings is great! It's only a problem if you live near the equator or milk cows for a living

Jhudac and JT Yup, goneburger

Running Problem and MikeyThanks for the conversion equations. Good to know I wont accidently drink far to much alcohol ( or to little) when visiting the States! Another equation in C is... Zero = freezing point. 10-16 = perfect for running. 20 = comfortable for general operations. 25-30 = think about heading to the beach. 40 = hide under a rock and keep movements to a minimum. 50 = do you really like living in the desert?

So in other words Celcisus matches age groups.

10-20 Everything was comfortable.

25-30 all I wanted to do was go out and have fun.

40 kinda hurts to move.

50 Turn off the Air Conditioning I'm not paying to cool the whole neighborhood.

In other news.....I'm having mini panic attacks about the Boston Athletic Association not saying ANYTHING about when registration opens, how the 2021 race will go, and how I go about making an account to even apply.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Yes good to have another option. Masterton is run by a small and aging harrier club. They might be in for the biggest numbers of runners in years!

I've decided to run my race on Sunday as close to the intended course as possible. There will be at least a few doing the same and quite a lot running the half. I'm going to run with a hydration backpack which I have no experience with so will be interesting...

The timing and a couple of those hills in Rotorua put me off. Plus having no family and friends around to see me do it would be a bit of a bummer. Hope it comes off for you suppose to be a great event that the locals really get behind.

Considering the wind in Wellington I'm surprised a hill or two put you off Rotorua!  I'm sure there will be a big group in Wellington even with the official run not happening.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Considering the wind in Wellington I'm surprised a hill or two put you off Rotorua!  I'm sure there will be a big group in Wellington even with the official run not happening.

I've heard the strongest winds down in NZ occur when one runs behind PiwiKiwi 

2:52:16 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

That depends what he's just eaten.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I heard my name mentioned 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Magrawlas

So in other words Celcisus matches age groups.

10-20 Everything was comfortable.

25-30 all I wanted to do was go out and have fun.

40 kinda hurts to move.

50 Turn off the Air Conditioning I'm not paying to cool the whole neighborhood.

In other news.....I'm having mini panic attacks about the Boston Athletic Association not saying ANYTHING about when registration opens, how the 2021 race will go, and how I go about making an account to even apply.

R  Haha That is a very good analogy!

mark Your'e probably right re those hills.Fine day with strong northerlies forecast for Sunday. Hopefully they dont kick in to the afternoon.

Tried my hydration pack out today on a 5k. Was ok but I sure i will hate it after 10k or so.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Miskey: Great hilly long run today. Was that in the area where your marathon will be?

Thanks, no that was a route from my house, I live by the sea...but if I run 400m (1/4 mile) north then I’m onto a trail path which means I can make my runs as hilly or flat as I like. Great tempo by you today and if you don’t go Sub 2:50 this year then we’ll do it together at Boston 2021.....and maaaybe Cal will join us! 

The NZ situation would drive me nuts if I was on full marathon cycle mode and I hope your races happen!

As a UK citizen, I am now going to sit back and watch the US election campaign on Sky news which should be very entertaining! Joe Biden Vs Donald Trump....may the best grandad win!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

As a UK citizen, I am now going to sit back and watch the US election campaign on Sky news which should be very entertaining! Joe Biden Vs Donald Trump....may the best grandad win!

As a US citizen, I am proud to say that whatever issues or problems might occur in the "rest of the world" - we are doing it on STEROIDS.

Sit back and enjoy the show.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

As a US citizen, I am proud to say that whatever issues or problems might occur in the "rest of the world" - we are doing it on STEROIDS.

Sit back and enjoy the show.

45K cases a day, Trump v. Biden, Category 4 storm hitting the south, and a police shooting in WI. Just another day in America!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cinnamon girl

As my sig says.

I received an email from Berlin as we were expected to get access codes in Aug/Sept to register for 2021 but they say they are postponing registration for awhile.

Running Problem

Problem Child

45K cases a day, Trump v. Biden, Category 4 storm hitting the south, and a police shooting in WI. Just another day in America!

You forgot about all the homeless people, and the 2 people killed by someone who ISN'T a cop. Oh and racism. Don't leave out racism in America. MAJOR problem with racism in America. 1,022 people have been shot by cops this year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/investigations/police-shootings-database/

Houston is getting hit by a hurricane just like 2005 and 2017. Hopefully they clean up in time for the marathon in January. Hurricane Hanna and Marco were just a warm up/notification.

EDIT: San Francisco marathon was canceled. Participants will automatically be entered to run the virtual race. For $40 you can defer your entry to 2021.

Boston 2021 most likely won't happen in which case I'll just get out of the marathon game and go back to hobby jogging. Maybe when I'm in my 50s I'll bring back a sub 3 and see who is around anymore...if I'm even able to remember people.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

if you don’t go Sub 2:50 this year then we’ll do it together at Boston 2021.....and maaaybe Cal will join us! 

That sounds like a good plan! I'll follow the lead of folks here regarding registration for Boston. I hope it will proceed. If not we'll have to come up with an alternate spring marathon for your showdown against Cal.

It's pretty cool Cheptegei loaded his WR to Strava!  Sorry Mark but now you are the second-fastest runner I'm following 

2:52:16 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

It's pretty cool Cheptegei loaded his WR to Strava!  Sorry Mark but now you are the second-fastest runner I'm following 

Heh, I'm surprised I'm that high tbh!

Magrawlas- all the best for tomorrow.  I'm hoping next weekend brings a reduction to Level 1 at least for the country outside of Auckland.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Did you notice a sub 8 min 2 mile within that 5000m 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "