2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Jhudak - nice week!

And yes, I thought for a while it was just a combination of the weather and having lost fitness from taking time off with the pulled hamstring.  But it just feels like more than that - I'm experienced enough to know how to adjust for heat/humidity/lost fitness.  Plus, the recent really nice weather that we have had hasn't made things any easier.  Also, though I haven't mentioned it here, I've had a few other things - getting lightheaded when I run uphill, muscle twitches that have gotten much more pronounced, having to think a bit more about how to navigate uneven sidewalks.  Just a whole set of stuff that could be hypochondria.  Or could be something off.  Plus, since my UC has flared a few times this year, it is not at all surprising that I might have some resulting deficiency.

Running Problem (I keep wanting to call you Brewing...): I got that questionnaire from CIM also - it's what makes me think CIM has a shot of happening.  It's the races that have NO mention of how they are adjusting to COVID 19 that seem most likely to go virtual.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Magrawlas: Congratulations on the excellent marathon debut! Nice pacing and great job hanging in there for the last 7k.

Jhudak: Nice mileage and week. I was impressed how early you do your runs; when strava calls it a Night Run you know you started pretty damn early! You asked about other big workouts in my cycle; there will be more for sure. I'm not following any plan, just my usual make it up as I go, but will definitely have some long runs like what you are planning for the weekend with up to 10 at MP. I'll probably also do a 10 mile TT on the track 4-5 weeks out from my race in lieu of a tune up half.

2:52:16 (2018)

jhudak55

Jhudak: Nice mileage and week. I was impressed how early you do your runs; when strava calls it a Night Run you know you started pretty damn early! You asked about other big workouts in my cycle; there will be more for sure. I'm not following any plan, just my usual make it up as I go, but will definitely have some long runs like what you are planning for the weekend with up to 10 at MP. I'll probably also do a 10 mile TT on the track 4-5 weeks out from my race in lieu of a tune up half.

JT: Yeah, I have to get out on runs pretty early in order to get to work by 7. Its also the only pleasant time to run in the summer, in my opinion. I have a co-worker that I often run with and we joke that real marathon training doesn't start until you are frequently running "Night Runs". Do you have a goal set yet for the 10 miler?

JT: Yeah, I have to get out on runs pretty early in order to get to work by 7. Its also the only pleasant time to run in the summer, in my opinion. I have a co-worker that I often run with and we joke that real marathon training doesn't start until you are frequently running "Night Runs". Do you have a goal set yet for the 10 miler?

For the 10 mile TT, I would like to better what I did 2 years ago (61:57) before my PR marathon. I think sub 61 could be possible with cool/cold weather; we shall see.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mark -- I agree that the marathon training may be a little light of miles. But you have a 1:10:46 half, and you're probably in better shape now than then. That half is equivalent equally trained to ~2:27:30. Even in better overall shape, you could argue you're not equally trained because you didn't average 120km/week. But it would be really difficult to claim that you're 10+ minutes less trained! With decent weather on the day (whatever day that turns out to be), I'd think you should be going for 2:32ish, but leave yourself a chance to stretch for 2:2x.

The 1:10 half was downhill and if his marathon is rolling hills then you can’t really compare the two. However, I don’t believe that Marky is a sandbagger and whatever time he runs will be a true 100% effort. 👍

Magrawlas - Congrats on your first marathon and it definitely gets easier, .so hopefully you haven’t been put off!

So Boston registration is in a couple of weeks time....and Cal has gone awol again.

Cal - Are we getting this on or not as I’m not going to waste my time registering and then you chicken out.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Magrawlas - well done on the marathon, good old "prevailing northerly" would've made for a tough day, good job.

Mikkey / Longboat - yeah that 1:10 half would've equated to around high 1:11's / low 1:12's on the flat (I ran 1:12:46 a couple of months prior on a largely flat course with one absolute bastard of a hill).

The Rotorua course basically plays out like:

Km 1-18: flat with a couple of small hills

Km 18-21: two smaller hills and one absolute bastard

Km 22-onwards: flat with one hill at the 26km mark.

My back-up race is mostly flat with a few smaller rollers.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Magrawlas - Great effort.  I've done the half in Wellington with gale northerlies and that was tough enough in the last 5-8km.  Amazing effort to dig in after 35km all by yourself.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

So Boston registration is in a couple of weeks time....and Cal has gone awol again.

Cal - Are we getting this on or not as I’m not going to waste my time registering and then you chicken out.

Do you need him to post here to find out he is running the race? Man how did people run races back before we all were imaginary friends online? I don't recall a time where he said he wouldn't be running the race so you should probably just not register for the race and assume he isn't going. I need all the help I can get if they're going to allow ever single 2018 qualifying time the chance to apply.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I haven't seen anything saying WHEN the BAA is accepting applications for 2021. They're probably going to wait until after their virtural race. I still don't even know how to apply or make an account. I probably have 2 weeks to figure that out and start training again.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

EDIT: Oh yeah, I haven't seen anything saying WHEN the BAA is accepting applications for 2021. They're probably going to wait until after their virtural race. I still don't even know how to apply or make an account. I probably have 2 weeks to figure that out and start training again.

I’m pretty sure I had to create an account for NYC and it was reasonably straightforward!

Well Brighton marathon has predictably gone virtual, but the 10k is going ahead on 11th October with start waves from 8:30am to 2:45pm and 1 spectator pass per runner (access to the start and finish area). Sub 40 or bust!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’m pretty sure I had to create an account for NYC and it was reasonably straightforward!

Well Brighton marathon has predictably gone virtual, but the 10k is going ahead on 11th October with start waves from 8:30am to 2:45pm and 1 spectator pass per runner (access to the start and finish area). Sub 40 or bust!

BAA Seems to be a little more difficult for the inexperienced. All I find is "login" and "forgot my password" but now "sign up to create an account here if you don't have one" button. Almost like I have to be invited and know the secret password, or they only let new people sign up when the application window is open. I'm also dumb.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Sandbagger  ! 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sandbagger  ! 

He only said he doesn't believe Mark is a sandbagger. Never said anything about himself 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

He only said he doesn't believe Mark is a sandbagger. Never said anything about himself 

JMac doesn't want his status as the biggest sandbagger to be challenged 

Running Problem

Problem Child

You can't be a sandbagger when you're a 2:45 marathoner. He has a kid now. The blame is on her.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I beat my goal by 3:30 this time around, a sufficiently good sandbag. I think Mark is going to destroy that sandbagging record if gets a chance to run the race. I think he said his goal is to break 3 hours if the weather is perfect 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)