2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Sandbagger  ! 

The secret is to sandbag the shorter distances so that the marathon times look more impressive. Oops!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

The secret is to sandbag the shorter distances so that the marathon times look more impressive. Oops!

Unfortunately if you sand bag TOO MUCH you set PRs in the marathon.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

I beat my goal by 3:30 this time around, a sufficiently good sandbag. I think Mark is going to destroy that sandbagging record if gets a chance to run the race. I think he said his goal is to break 3 hours if the weather is perfect 

It's a hilly course, but I might PB if it's a really good day.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Resident Historian

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Thanks for the update. I'd just been pondering my next move, motivation-wise.

Marky_Mark_17

(reposted from the sub-1:30 thread in case any wants some entertainment over the next few weeks watching me go nuts)

OK, so this lockdown scenario, based on today's announcement, might set me up for JMac levels of taper madness.  Here's the deal:

• The whole country is currently at Alert Level 2, which restricts mass gatherings to 100 (or 10 in Auckland)
              • Rotorua Marathon have said they will go ahead if Rotorua is at Alert Level 1 by race day (26 Sept)
              • (note there have only been 2 cases outside of Auckland which were directly linked to Auckland)
              • The current alert levels were effective until midnight this Sunday (6 Sept)
              • Today the government has announced the current levels will remain in effect until midnight on Wed 16 Sept
              • They will be reviewed on Mon 14 Sept to see if they can be reduced

I found this all very contradictory because the PM first talked about the cluster being contained and lockdown being a last resort but then basically extended the lockdown, so go figure.

Long story short, I won't know until 12 days before the race if it's going ahead.  I guess, big picture, things seem to be heading in the right direction so the odds of either Rotorua OR Wairarapa Country Marathon going ahead are probably pretty good.

From a training perspective, I'm still going to do 35km this Sunday, and then next week was always going to be a lighter week with the Run Albany 10km happening on Sunday in some shape or form, so I guess it doesn't muck it up too much.  I might just need to figure out what to do with the two extra weeks until WCM if that becomes the option.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thanks for the update. I'd just been pondering my next move, motivation-wise.

me too. Looks like they couldn't figure out what to do with the 2018 runners since it looks like cal was right and 2021 won't happen. So I assume my 2019 sub 3 will sit at a sub 3 and not get me entry to the boston marathon. Wish I would have kept on top of training and prepared for CIM. Maybe I'll make marathon training great again in 2021. Right now....running is a burden.

MarkyMark Sounds like you get to try out the Hansons style 10 day taper. No point changing anything with THAT kind of notice. If I was training for a goal race I'd keep on going right up until the day they said the race was canceled. THEN I'd lose all motivation to run. NOT before.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

From a training perspective, I'm still going to do 35km this Sunday, and then next week was always going to be a lighter week with the Run Albany 10km happening on Sunday in some shape or form, so I guess it doesn't muck it up too much.  I might just need to figure out what to do with the two extra weeks until WCM if that becomes the option.

Yep I would just continue as normal as the 35k LR and 10k race will benefit either marathon and it’ll just be a case of tweaking your taper to stay sharp if you end up racing WCM. Just try to avoid any JMac style “niggles” during taper. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Magrawlas

Magrawlas - Great effort.  I've done the half in Wellington with gale northerlies and that was tough enough in the last 5-8km.  Amazing effort to dig in after 35km all by yourself.

Thanks Steve. Yes I'm pretty happy given the conditions but you "takes what you gets' in wellington.

It wont be my first and last marathon. i want to experience the buzz and hype of a big event. Mine was basically a run on my own but i have a cool photo of the three starters on the line in front of the stadium.

Mark still keeping fingers crossed for Rotorua. I was talking to a couple of people yesterday who were on the starting line for Rotorua in 1999. It got cancelled 6 mins before the start time due to flooding. can you imagine that!

Thanks everyone for the congrats  I drank 3 or 4 beers every night this week and didn't run until Saturday. Went for a run with the harriers up and over a big hill,, legs got pretty heavy..

jhudak55

Mark: I'm keeping an eye on the changing of your levels and hoping you'll get to run!

Magrawlas: That recovery period after a goal race is always enjoyable. Sounds like you are making the most of it. Have you thought at all about what you want to run next?

My week:

70.1 miles

M: 9.4 miles with a 5 mile tempo (6:31, 6:30, 6:29, 6:34, 6:32)

T: 14.2 miles easy (8:48)

W: 5.2 miles easy (9:33)

T: 5.3 miles easy (8:55)

F: 6 miles easy (9:01)

S: 18 mile long run with last 10 at MP averaging 7:01 for last 10 (7:44 overall)

S:12 miles easy (9:08)

This was another really good week for me. 70 miles ties my weekly mileage record, but I feel stronger than I have before. I was really happy with the long run on Saturday, I think now that the weather is breaking I can really start to see the fitness I gained over the summer. Next week is a step back week, going to try to keep it mostly easy.

jhudak: Great week and nice job on the long run. I agree, the cooler weather has been helping. Can you remind me, are you targeting a marathon this fall?

My week:  I had a bit of a twinge in my hamstring since late last week and did not do any workout during the week to avoid aggravating it. Seems like a mild strain and by the end of this week it was pretty much gone, though after today's LR it came back a bit. Nothing major but I'll take it easy this week until it's good and healed. I would be taking it easy this week anyway to recover from the LR.

I tried out the Saucony Endorphin on today's run and I think this shoe is equal to if not better than the Vaporfly. It's a touch heavier, but feels more stable, more like a "normal" shoe, but still has the same bounce. My trainers have always been Saucony so maybe my feet prefer them.

Distance   Pace   Gain
                        Tue   Morning Run   10.14   8:10   640
                        Wed   Rainy Morning Run w/ hills   12.25   8:26   1391
                        Thu   Morning Run   10.10   8:19   630
                        Fri   Morning Run   9.11   8:31   850
                        Sat   Trail run with Matthew   7.29   9:04   600
                        Sun   Long run w/ last 8 @ 6:25   20.03   6:54   896

Total distance: 68.94 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Marky_mark - it sounds like you will find out whether the race is happening about the same time you get your first forecast of the weather....

Jhudak - very nice week for you!  Congrats on hitting 70 miles!

JTReeves - good call on the hammie.  This might be a blessing in disguise - if you were at risk of peaking too early, then this down week pulls you back a bit from that.

I have a pair of the Endorphins also.  I really wanted to like them - they certainly fit my feet better than the Vaporfly, and they have a very similar feel.  But....I find the traction in them is horrible.  Worse than the VF, which is not great.

I should note that I have not heard this complaint raised in a single review of the shoe, so it may be something distinctive to my gait.

++++

My week:

38 miles and 6:30 hours of pool-running
                          M: 70 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                          T: 7 miles, with 2 hill repeats up a 370m hill in 1:54 and 1:56. Followed with 40 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
                          W: 4 miles aerobic (9:36), 70 minutes pool-running, and streaming yoga.
                          Th: 70 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core
                          F: 8 miles, including 6 hill repeats up a 370m hill in between 1:3x and 1:4x, with a bit over 3 minutes jogging recovery. Followed with 40 minutes pool-running and leg strengthwork.
                          Sa: 7 miles very easy (9:31), streaming yoga, and 50 minutes pool-running.
                          Su: 12 miles progressive (9:41/9:14/9:17/9:33/8:43/8:41/8:24/8:09/8:08/7:53/7:45/7:36), followed by some leg strengthwork and streaming yoga, and then 50 minutes pool-running.

A second round of bloodwork confirmed that my serum folate (i.e. B9) is low, and low enough to need treatment. Still no indications of anemia or infection in the CBC, a full iron panel looked great, vitamin D was fine, and B12 was actually high and above the reference range. So I left with a prescription for a folic acid supplement (you can buy folic acid OTC, but for whatever reason my doctor wanted me to take the prescription version).

Started the folic acid ASAP, while also making a point to drink a lot of orange juice and a little beet juice (which is really gross) to get some extra folate in. I'm not sure how long it will take me to be back to normal, but I have to admit I'm already noticing some improvement over the past few days, in terms of needing less sleep and not feeling quite as shaky.  Weird thing too is that I was about to go to the eye doctor to get my eyes checked, as I was squinting a lot in my reading glasses.  But now I'm not squinting any more.  I'm guessing the two are linked.  Or it could all be the placebo effect.

(it's also worth noting that Tuesday's run was in a temp/DP of 68 degrees, while Friday's run was in temp/DP of 72. Tuesday was pre-folic acid, Friday was after. Friday felt a hell of a lot better than Tuesday.)

Hopefully this will be a quick turnaround.  I've been making a point to get as much pool-running as I can in, to preserve my volume, with the hope that I may still be able to pull off a fall marathon (if one happens).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Marky_mark - it sounds like you will find out whether the race is happening about the same time you get your first forecast of the weather....

*applause*

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Magrawlas

Magrawlas: That recovery period after a goal race is always enjoyable. Sounds like you are making the most of it. Have you thought at all about what you want to run next?

Jhudak  I ran out of beer on Saturday so have to do some think a suppose. No haven't really thought about it.

The XC season is drawing to a close after next to no races. Think I will go back to running around 40 - 50 km a week and do the odd 20k run now and then. I enjoyed the long training runs up to around 25k, after that not so much..

Maybe I run a half or two over our summer and by the middle of next year hopefully we will all have the pick of whatever races we want!!

jhudak55

JT: Nice week, especially on the long run. Hopefully the cutback will fix your hamstring issue. I'm signed up for the Rehoboth Beach Seashore Marathon on December 6th. It's the only marathon I signed up for, starting to worry a bit that there aren't really any other good options that weekend or the weekends before/after.

I'm also signed up for a the Towpath Half Marathon on October 11th which is just outside of Cleveland. If that gets canceled, I'd probably try to get into the Northern Ohio Half. Both of those would be tune ups for the full.