2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Resident Historian

What's your address for the bag of sand we need to send?

Gonna be a very small bag of sand!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Goal A is Sub 3:37. There is no goal B or C as failure isn’t an option. 

Nice work on achieving the goal! In the future I'll use the same strategy of setting the goal post-race. 

Anyone watch stage 20 of the Tour de France? That was a pretty incredible time trial by the 21 year old (if I tried to write his name I'd get it wrong). I'm generally not much in to cycling but I always enjoy watching the Tour; it helps immensely that they have top notch commentators. Track & Field needs guys like Phil Liggett and Bob Role!

A decent week for me. We started getting some wonderfully cold mornings. My track workout Wednesday felt great, in large part due to the cold temps. At the risk of jinxing things, I have to say I'm feeling pretty good about how things are going. 6 weeks till race day (I hope!).

Distance   Pace   Gain
      Tue   Morning Run   10.19   8:08   643
      Wed   Warm up   3.09   7:38   0
      Wed  

4 x 1600m, 400m recovery

(5:39, 5:39, 5:40, 5:39)

4.87   6:15   0
      Wed   Cool down   3.28   8:29   0
      Thu   Morning Run   6.31   8:29   463
      Fri   Morning Run   10.16   8:13   636
      Sat   Trail run with Matthew   8.05   8:36   597
      Sun   Long run   20.12   7:43   997

Total distance: 66.07 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

I'm generally not much in to cycling but I always enjoy watching the Tour; it helps immensely that they have top notch commentators. Track & Field needs guys like Phil Liggett and Bob Role!

+1 !!!

I also like the color guy, Christian Vande Velde.  He was a top-tier biker (and doper) during the Lance era.  One of his side gigs now (pre-covid) is working as a celebrity Peloton spin instructor.   He told me to get my cadence over 90 and keep my ass in the seat!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Nice work on achieving the goal! In the future I'll use the same strategy of setting the goal post-race. 

Funny how well that works.

JTReeves - I take it Northern Ohio is still the target, if that one happens?  I really hope you get a race, and with good weather to boot.

I have actually not watched the Tour, which really surprises me.  I just keep forgetting about it, since it's not July.

Rovatti - your comment about Vande Velde reminds me of the weird double standard we have for running versus cycling.  In running, it seems if you get set down for doping, you're a black sheep for the remainder of your career.  In cycling, if you doped but were generally a nice guy (i.e. NOT Lance) it seems to get forgiven by the media.

My week:

59 miles, 1000 yards of swimming, and 3:50 hours of pool-running
          M: 70 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
          T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2x(1600, 800, 400) in 6:44, 3:15, 94, 6:32, 3:12, 94. Recoveries were way too long (longer than the interval duration). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards swimming, and streaming yoga.
          W: 9 miles (9:51) with drills and 6 hill strides, followed by 30 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
          Th: Upper body weights/core and 70 minutes pool-running in the morning, followed by streaming yoga.
          F: 11 miles, including a tempo workout of 4x1 mile at tempo effort with 30 second jogs (6:55, 7:02, 7:12, 7:06), then full recovery before 4x200 with 80 second jogs (47, 43, 45, 44). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards swimming
          Sa: 11 miles very easy (9:30) plus drills and 6 steep hill sprints, followed by streaming yoga.
          Su: 15 miles progressive, split as first 5 averaging 9:29, next 5 averaging 8:24, next 5 averaging 7:34, plus mile cooldown. Followed with streaming yoga, leg strengthwork, and 60 minutes pool-running.

Managed to put together a consistent week, courtesy of magical ankle taping.  Went in to see the doctor on Monday - my ankle ligaments are NOT loose (which surprised me, given how helpful the taping is).  I got MRIs of both my lumbar area and right ankle taken on Saturday, so we'll see what they say.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Rovatti - your comment about Vande Velde reminds me of the weird double standard we have for running versus cycling.  In running, it seems if you get set down for doping, you're a black sheep for the remainder of your career.  In cycling, if you doped but were generally a nice guy (i.e. NOT Lance) it seems to get forgiven by the media.

True.

Maybe because doping in cycling was such a tsunami that we all had to process it?  Everyone from that era doped and they've admitted it.  I would have doped too, had I been a pro cyclist then. Sympathy is easier somehow.  (and I don't mean to imply that cycling is clean now...)

Doping in running has never come to a head, like it dd in cycling.  Everything is suspicious, but rarely do athletes pop.  Cheating seems worse when only a minority are doing it, then when everyone is doing it.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

What's your address for the bag of sand we need to send?

A bit of advice - stick to road racing!  That was my first proper trail marathon and it was more a case of getting through it in one piece. I was moving at slower than walking pace on some of the hills and a lot of the terrain was so uneven that it was impossible to get any speed or rhythm going. The second lap was draining with temps up to 70f (warm for me) and the route got quite busy with groups of walkers/cyclists and horse riders. Official time 3:36:54/10th place out of 72 and most likely a one and done for me. The next time I’m in that area again I’ll book a nice round of golf instead. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

jhudak55

JT: The colder temperatures have been awesome. Makes workouts much easier. I have noticed my HR at an easy pace has been a bit higher since the temperature has dropped, although this may just be a coincidence. Do you notice any difference?

DW: Nice week! The volume looks great now that you are able to be back in the pool.

Mickey: Congrats on the first/last trail marathon!. Sounds like torture on all of the stabilizer muscles that get underused when road running.

My Week:

43.7 miles

M: Off

T: Off

W: 5.2 miles easy (8:30)

T: Off

F: 10 miles easy (8:42)

S: 21 mile long run (8:34)

S: 7.5 miles easy (9:00)

Down week recovering from the ankle injury from the previous week. Ran a 21 mile long run on the C&O canal towpath on Saturday which really beat up my legs. The path is a mix of crushed stone and dirt, but has a lot of bigger (gravel sized) rocks sticking up in many areas throughout. I haven't run this trail in a while and forgot how brutal the rock are on my feet. I won't be returning anytime soon.

Also, the half I signed up for (Towpath Half Marathon in Cleveland) has been approved by the Cleveland Metroparks and the Health Department. I'm really excited for this race, its scheduled for October 11th. The email that was sent out notes that the race will be lined up in heats, not sure how large each heat will be.

Nice job Mikkey!!!   Even if trails are not your thing, it must've been nice to race again.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

jhudak - Nice week and a decent paced 21 miler! Great news that you have a race in 3 weeks time. 👍

rovatti - I actually felt nothing at the start line....no adrenaline buzz or excitement, but respect to the trail racers who go all out as it’s a completely different ball game to road racing and a lot tougher mentally! (imo). The only thing that stopped me from taking walk breaks was that I pre-booked a nice restaurant for lunch and if I’d run any slower than 3:45 then our table might’ve been taken and the wife wouldn’t have been happy. My phone went off at mile 25 just as I was going up the last hill and knew it was my wife calling and getting impatient. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey I didn't realize it was a trail marathon. I rescind my offer to ship you that bag. But trail marathons? Soon you're going to be running ultra marathons, you do seem unfulfilled 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey I didn't realize it was a trail marathon. I rescind my offer to ship you that bag. But trail marathons? Soon you're going to be running ultra marathons, you do seem unfulfilled 

Maybe, just maybe this is the answer!

JTReeves - I take it Northern Ohio is still the target, if that one happens?  I really hope you get a race, and with good weather to boot.

DW: Yes, that would be first choice. Still looks like it is a go. Harrisburg also looks like a go so that will be my 2nd choice/back-up if Ohio is cancelled or weather looks bad for it.

jhudak: Glad your ankle is better (I assume it must be since you did that 21 miler!) and good news on Cleveland for the half. Do you have a goal for that race? Regarding the HR, I didn't see any increase in mine since the colder temps set in; if anything it is going a bit lower. Maybe yours went up a bit due to stress or poorer sleep? I know for me all those things factor in to my resting HR and HR while running.

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

what is wrong with ultra marathons? They're humbling.

still lacking motivation. I sometimes believe coming here will motivate me. It hasn't. It's directly tied to work and my inability to find/look for alternative employment opportunities.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Magrawlas

Mikkey, Congrats on your trail marathon, 10secs under your predicted time eh! How far actually was it. I did a google search but that didn't help. Sounds tough though.

Mark, shame about Rotorua. Would be very unlucky now for Masterton to go sideways. Hope adjusting the training plan hasn't been to taxing

DW, I take it that is you in on the left in the photo you posted. Anyone else on this thread in there?

Running Problem

Problem Child

I went for a run. Following people's runs helped me stop feeling sorry for myself because I could see other people manage THEIR life and complications with running so sulking wasn't going to fix anything. I also go (pretty much) told by work to (in my words, not theirs) "STFU AND DO YOU JOB" so running it out late at night helped. Maybe I'll get my 40 this week, get back to some kind of training shape and keep trying to focus on Boston 2021. Might not be in sub 3 shape at that point. Never know. Might get pissed off and train hard.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22