2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Mark, shame about Rotorua. Would be very unlucky now for Masterton to go sideways. Hope adjusting the training plan hasn't been to taxing

Thanks Magrawlas, yeah keeping fingers and toes crossed but its looking positive for Masterton.  I'm a bit sick of marathon training now but taper next week should sort that!  There are at least 2 other runners entered who should be around the 2:40 mark or below, and potentially more to come - so even with a small field there could be a good group to join on to.

In addition it looks like Garth Barfoot is running.  He is a bit of a local Auckland legend, still running marathons in his mid-80's.  Even more so, he has a replacement hip from getting hit by a car on his bike a few years ago.  I will make no secret of the fact that I want to get a photo with him.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey, Congrats on your trail marathon, 10secs under your predicted time eh! How far actually was it. I did a google search but that didn't help. Sounds tough though.

It was a marathon distance race and not an ultra - maybe I made it sound worse than it was!  Funnily enough, at the start line briefing the RD informed us that the course route was a bit longer and measured 26.5 miles and joked that we would be getting our money’s worth. However, my watch reading finished at 25.89 miles which was strange? I’m not bothered either way as it wasn’t a goal race.

Marky - That’s good news about Masterton and great if you’ve got a small group to run with. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Damn, just got an email to say that the Brighton 10k has been cancelled because the council think it’s too risky, even though infection rate has been low in the area. Of course there was no problem staging a mass gathering BLM march with no social distancing last week because....well the virus only spreads during certain events I presume. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cal predicted it

2020 CIM Cancellation Notice

We are devastated to announce that we are cancelling the 2020 California International Marathon(CIM).  We appreciate everyone’s patience and support as we worked through all possible options and considerations for all of our event stakeholders: registrants, sponsors, charities, vendors, partners, staff, volunteers, and the entire greater-Sacramento community.

We would like to thank our local leadership, municipal and community partners, and county and state health officials that worked so hard to create an avenue for us to still potentially hold the event in recognition of its immense importance to our community.  Despite their creative and open-minded efforts to work with us on effective health and safety protocols, we ultimately recognized that the event would be too much of a departure from the participant experience that has made CIM such a unique and special event over the past 37 years and what we hope will continue to make it one for many more years to come.  Furthermore, it is important that the event continues to be a positive health and wellness force for our community, rather than one that poses a potential risk of any kind.

We know there has been an anxious strain on our registrants as we worked through our options.  As one of the last events on the calendar, we felt like it was our responsibility to continue to ride the waves of change as a potential beacon of hope in what has been a volatile 2020.

Through this process working with local and state health officials, we are encouraged that we have identified protocols that will allow for a safe and responsible return to racing in some form very soon for our passionate running community.  We are excited that this process has, if nothing else, brought us one step closer to being able to host events for you very soon, so stay tuned for further announcements on this front.

Looking Forward

CIM “Worry-Free” Voucher:

In April, we swiftly outlined a “Worry-Free Registration Guarantee” that let all of our registrants know that if the race was unable to be conducted, they will receive a voucher for a free entry into any one of the next 3 CIMs (2021-2023).

Your voucher code was enclosed in your cancellation email you received September 25, 2020. If you are unable to locate the voucher code or cancellation email please contact info@runsra.org

How to redeem your vocher code:

• Voucher codes can be used to register one time to either the 2021, 2022 or 2023 CIM.
          • Codes are only valid from registration opening (early Spring) until May 31st of your selected year. If the voucher code is not redeemed by May 31st it must be used the following year. Any unclaimed vouchers beyond May 31, 2023 are void.
          • Voucher code can be redeemed during registration process when you are prompted to enter a promo code.
          • Voucher codes are unique to each participant and are not transferable.
          • In the event you added items to your 2020 CIM registration (example: VIP, Run the Parkway, Capitol Challenge&hellipWink these items will automatically be added to your registration. Do not add these items again during your registration process or you will be charged.
          Project 26.20

1 registration, 2 events, 11 weeks, 137 miles of running to get 26.2 out of 2020

We know that many of you in the CIM community have been very determined to stay on the #road2CIM this fall through the uncertainty.  We know you have a desire to keep moving forward to not be denied the opportunity to run 26.2 this fall.  For you, we built the “Project 26.20” event which is a digital platform to help you still get 26.2 out of 2020.  We want you to finish 2020 with a win, and we hope “Project 26.20” is the best way to help you get that!  For more information on Project 26.20 click here.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mark: I'm getting excited for your marathon; I hope it happens. 2:29:59 or bust!

Mikkey: Sorry to hear about the 10k cancellation. That's a good distance to time trial on the track, maybe you can do that if you have the motivation for it.

Another week in the books. Wednesday's workout went well. The weather turned warm and muggy this weekend which made today's long run tougher; hopefully this will be the last one with this kind of weather. I'll be targeting a 10 mile time trial next weekend in lieu of a tune-up race.

Distance   Pace   Gain
            Tue   Morning Run   10.19   8:18   640
            Wed  

3 x 2 mi + 1 mi hard

(12:01, 11:52, 11:47, 5:33)

14.04   6:54   541
            Thu   Morning Run   6.19   8:54   463
            Fri   Morning Run   8.28   8:25   564
            Sat   Trails in Sega Park   8.27   8:49   653
            Sun   Long run   22.15   7:56   1201

Total distance: 69.13 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Sad about CIM, but not surprised.  And I'm selfishly relieved, just because it was probably slightly ambitious of me to be targeting it at this point.  Now I just need to decide what year I want to run it.

JTReeves - another solid week with good balance.  I'm just now realizing how close Northern Ohio is.

And....I emphatically disagree with 10K being a good distance to time trial on the track.  That sounds AWFUL.

My week:

63 miles, 1000 yards of swimming, and 3 hours of pool-running

M: 60 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
              T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 4x1200m, 2x200m in 4:57, 4:49, 4:54, and 4:58, and then 43 and 44. Recoveries between 2:50 and 3:20 for the 1200s, full recovery for the 200s.Followed with leg strengthwork, 500 yards swimming, and streaming yoga.
              W: 12 miles (9:15), followed by drills, hill strides, and streaming yoga.
              Th: Upper body weights/core and 65 minutes pool-running.
              F: 12 miles, including a tempo workout on the roads of 4x1.5 miles at tempo effort with 30 second jogs (10:25, 10:21, 10:13), then full recovery before 2x200 with 80 second jogs (48, 48 - I suspect the 200s were marked long on the road). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards swimming
              Sa: 11 miles very easy (9:26) plus drills and 6 steep hill sprints, followed by streaming yoga.
              Su: 15 miles progressive, split as first 5 averaging 9:27, next 5 averaging 8:30, next 5 averaging 7:31, plus mile cooldown. Followed with streaming yoga, leg strengthwork, and 55 minutes pool-running.

Serendipitously, the PT I am working with did Tuesday's track workout, and we're about the same pace right now (she's a low-3 hour marathoner, but coming back from a long break). So she very generously kept an eye on me as we did the workout together, and pointed out after the last 1200 that I was leaning way far back when I ran - very different from my previous form. So I started tilting forward in what felt very exaggerated, but rapidly felt more normal, and things started feeling much smoother, so yay.

In other news, on Thursday I got my MRI results back (I had the lumbar area and the right ankle done). The lumbar back came back surprisingly good - no obvious issues there. But the ankle....the ankle looks HORRIBLE. To the point where the doctor thought they had mixed up images. The highlights are:

1) "severe posterior tibial tendonitis with longitudinal split tears involving the distal 9.0 cm, moderate grade at the level of the talus and calcaneus, with mild tendosynovitis"

2) "Chronic high grade anterior talofibular ligament sprain, with at least partial tear."

(and there's a lot more relatively minor stuff).

And just so we're clear, this is an ankle that burns some at times, but is not currently hurting when I run or walk (hasn't been the past two weeks, since we started taping it to give a bit of support). I do sets of 25 single calf raises with it, and sets of 10 single leg hops on it as one of my running drills. All of those are currently pain free, though the right ankle is slightly weaker than the left, and I struggle with one legged balance poses on that leg. According to my doctor, that report would normally be associated with someone who is not physically capable of running - I should be struggling to do a single calf raise. So something's off here.

Since nothing in the MRI appears to be acute, nothing hurts, and I've been seeing progress over the last two weeks, I'm just going to keep training for now (my PT agrees with this plan). The plan is to get into a fancy ultrasound place to double check the MRI results. And then I'll probably do a round of PRP on the ATF ligament (and maybe the post tib) to try to fix stuff up.   Surgery is not a good option - my functionality is too good to justify risking surgery, and surgeries for this type of injury often don't turn out well.

My hunch is that the ATF is the real problem, and is contributing to the lack of stability in the ankle.  As for the PTT, I should note that another ultrasound that I had done last fall when it was hurting some noted an "accessory" posterior tibial tendon.  I think one doctor's 9 centimeter split tear is another doctor's accessory tendon - at some point one tendon split up the middle and healed up as two parallel tendons that are now doing their job decently so we should leave them alone.  But I need to see what the second superfancy ultrasound says, and also see what the doctor says after the second superfancy ultrasound.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: Sorry to hear about the 10k cancellation. That's a good distance to time trial on the track, maybe you can do that if you have the motivation for it.

That’s a possibility as I’m going back to see the parents later this week who live half a mile from the Mary Peters track...but maybe I’ll make it 5000m as I won’t be bringing my cheater shoes.    Excellent week from you again!....will the 10 miler TT be on the track?

DW - Sorry to hear about your ankle and hope you get it sorted without needing surgery.

EDIT - JT, I know you’re a fan of races...so here’s a guy I’m following on Strava who used to be Kiwi...but is now a Brit!  He’s running London next week and giving a view and take of the loop.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BPgULcv5hX4

Marky_Mark_17

Mark: I'm getting excited for your marathon; I hope it happens. 2:29:59 or bust! 

JMac's gotten to you hasn't he?

I posted my weekly in the sub-1:30 thread, but of note was that this was my 34th and last straight week of 50mile / 80km + weeks.  Definitely sticking to my 'consistency is king' mantra.  Also definitely time for taper.

(BTW nice week, I thought I was the only one nuts enough to log 65+ mile weeks in singles AND have a day off)

DW - commented on the other thread on your... remarkable... MRI.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

That’s a possibility as I’m going back to see the parents later this week who live half a mile from the Mary Peters track...but maybe I’ll make it 5000m as I won’t be bringing my cheater shoes.    Excellent week from you again!....will the 10 miler TT be on the track?

DW - Sorry to hear about your ankle and hope you get it sorted without needing surgery.

EDIT - JT, I know you’re a fan of races...so here’s a guy I’m following on Strava who used to be Kiwi...but is now a Brit!  He’s running London next week and giving a view and take of the loop.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BPgULcv5hX4

Mikkey: Yes, the 10 mile TT will absolutely be on the track! 16,100m; 40 1/4 laps. I love track running; no hills and you can really lock in to an even pace. Have you run on the track in the VFs? I have not, but am thinking I'll probably wear my Endorphin Pros for the TT; they have a VF-like response/bounce but not with the gooeyness/sinking feeling of the foam on the VFs (this is just my own feeling/opinion), so I think they should work fine on the turns. I'll test them on the warm-up and see; if no good then I'll wear the Reebok Run fast pros which are definitely a track flat.

Very cool link; thanks for sharing! I am getting excited about London. That's a very flat loop and it should be a great showdown between Kipchoge and Kenny. It seems they both had good preparations so in theory it should be a fairly even match-up. I saw the main pace group is targeting 60:45 for the half, so WR pace. Should be an awesome race!  Then we have Cheptegei's 10,000m WR attempt just a few days later on the 7th of Oct. I think he will break it and go sub 26:10. If the weather is good, he might even go sub 26:00. That's only 2:36 per km, no big deal 

DW: Your week looks great and I was glad to hear you're feeling good; but that is some strange stuff with the ankle/MRI. I hope it fully resolves with you doing what you're doing.

Mark: Enjoy the taper and rest up; proper rest can make the difference between 2:29 and 2:30:01   I'll have to check and see what JMac is predicting for you. My time predictions for others have been pretty accurate; think I was less that 30 sec off for JMac at CIM; Mikkey was also quite close. Of course JMac was scoffing at our predictions right up till the end, then he ran even faster. 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Mikkey: Yes, the 10 mile TT will absolutely be on the track! 16,100m; 40 1/4 laps.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: Yes, the 10 mile TT will absolutely be on the track! 16,100m; 40 1/4 laps. I love track running; no hills and you can really lock in to an even pace. Have you run on the track in the VFs? I have not, but am thinking I'll probably wear my Endorphin Pros for the TT; they have a VF-like response/bounce but not with the gooeyness/sinking feeling of the foam on the VFs (this is just my own feeling/opinion), so I think they should work fine on the turns. I'll test them on the warm-up and see; if no good then I'll wear the Reebok Run fast pros which are definitely a track flat.

Well I wore VFs when I won a track marathon last year and they felt great...but that’s just me. 🕺

I think with shorter distances you need to go with the shoe that gives you the most confidence.👍

Marky_Mark_17

Well I wore VFs when I won a track marathon last year and they felt great...but that’s just me. 🕺

I think with shorter distances you need to go with the shoe that gives you the most confidence.👍

I've run 5,000m and 10,000m races on the track in VF's.  They go great on the track so I've no doubt that the Endorphin would go well too (particularly if you prefer the feel!).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

jhudak55

DW: Did the doctor give any idea of the recovery timeframe or will that come with the superfancy ultrasound? The running you've been doing is pretty incredible considering the diagnosis. The other muscles and tendons in that ankle must have really good strength to accommodate running.

JT: Nice week, especially the long run. Good luck on the 10 mile TT. I think you mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, but what are you targeting? Regarding your question last week about my goal for the half, I think if everything goes perfect I could run 1:26, but somewhere around 1:27-1:28 is probably more realistic.

Mark: That consistency is awesome! Enjoy the taper.

My Week

73 miles

M: 3.1 miles easy (9:18)

T: 11 with a 6 mile tempo (6:29, 6:31, 6:36, 6:34, 6:35, 6:37)

W: 14 miles easy (8:58)

T: 10 miles easy (8:58)

F: 4 miles easy (9:13)

S: 20.2 mile long run (9:00)

S: 10.6 miles easy (8:58)

Good week for me. My legs feel surprisingly good with all of the mileage. Next week should be similar with a slightly shorter long run, but a few more miles during the week.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I've run 5,000m and 10,000m races on the track in VF's.  They go great on the track so I've no doubt that the Endorphin would go well too (particularly if you prefer the feel!).

So I now need to get a pair of Endorphin Pros...

Mikkey and Mark: Thanks for the feedback on the VF on the track; that makes me feel pretty confident the Endorphin should be fine. It will be the shoe I wear for the marathon so I'd like to use it for the TT as well (I did the same thing 2 years ago; same shoe for 10 mile TT and marathon).

jhudak: Great week; that tempo run looks really strong. Sounds like a good target for the half. For the 10 mile, I don't really have a target; it's more to measure my fitness versus 2 years ago. I ran a 61:57 then, and ran my current marathon PR 4 weeks later. So hopefully I'll be faster than 61:57. I think sub 61 may be possible.