2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: Did the doctor give any idea of the recovery timeframe or will that come with the superfancy ultrasound? The running you've been doing is pretty incredible considering the diagnosis. The other muscles and tendons in that ankle must have really good strength to accommodate running.

Should clarify - the MRI report is not the diagnosis.  There's an axiom that "you treat the patient, not the imaging or the bloodwork."  So here we have a big difference between how I present clinically and what the MRI says.  (I've had this happen once before when an X-ray taken for another issue showed a recently healed fibula.  Only problem was - I never broke my fibula....)

Normally, in a situation like this, we'd try conservative care first - PT.  And PT is what I am already doing and responding to.  Thus, no change there, since I am responding (that's why I continued on with my running week unaltered).

The ATF ligament issue on the MRI is matched by clinical exam - the doctor did something called the drawer test (hard to explain but very google-able) and I am loose that way.  So, since there's no races on the calendar, in about 2 weeks on the 13th I'll get some PRP injections in the ATF ligament to try to tighten it up.  I've done PRP before - it's expensive and painful, but has worked in the past and will not make stuff worse if it doesn't work.  Depending on what the ultrasound says, we may also do PRP on the post tib at that point - it's just another few injections, and wouldn't add any more downtime.

[PRP usually requires about 48 hours rest, and then a gentle return to activity  The PRP itself makes stuff worse and more painful in the short run, but really kicks in about 2 weeks post injection, in my experience.]

Also need to ditto JTReeves - very nice tempo.  You are getting into great shape!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

And....I emphatically disagree with 10K being a good distance to time trial on the track.  That sounds AWFUL.

DW: I'm surprised you are so repulsed by a 10k track time trial. Is it just that the distance is too much? You've done long tempos on the track so I assume you have no problem with the surface.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark: Enjoy the taper and rest up; proper rest can make the difference between 2:29 and 2:30:01   I'll have to check and see what JMac is predicting for you. My time predictions for others have been pretty accurate; think I was less that 30 sec off for JMac at CIM; Mikkey was also quite close. Of course JMac was scoffing at our predictions right up till the end, then he ran even faster. 

I will hand it to JT, he was dead on. I think I knew that time was possible give my tempos, but felt like everything had to go right. It did that day! But now I am stuck with the sandbagger label, UNTIL Mark comes and destroys the 3:28 pace car I've set. From then on, I shall retire as king sandbagger and hand my crown off to Mark.

I have Mark's time official time down 2:33:59, although all this extra training may mean he's closer to your time than mine! Maybe I'm sandbagging my sandbag estimate 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

love the new thread title

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Running Problem

Problem Child

love the new thread title

i had to change it because the moderators kept locking it down due to us mentioning ANYTHING about COVID 19. We were reminded multiple times there is an official COVID 19 thread and ALL COVID 19 discussion was to remain there because this was the "2020 marathon training thread" and not the COVID 19 thread. Since the name change the thread hasn't been locked, but it's also less active.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sad about CIM, but not surprised.  And I'm selfishly relieved, just because it was probably slightly ambitious of me to be targeting it at this point.  Now I just need to decide what year I want to run it.

Pick the year you think the most number of Olympic Trial athletes will be there. Might be kind of cool to see so many of them. Not saying you're targeting a 2:45 so you'll have a great pace group....BUUUUUT....it could still be cool and bring more energy to the race.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Resident Historian

i had to change it because the moderators kept locking it down due to us mentioning ANYTHING about COVID 19. We were reminded multiple times there is an official COVID 19 thread and ALL COVID 19 discussion was to remain there because this was the "2020 marathon training thread" and not the COVID 19 thread. Since the name change the thread hasn't been locked, but it's also less active.

There was no requirement to change the name,  It was your dig at the mods,.and the renaming didn't get us permission to talk about C. O-vid. (wonder if that version gets past the word-sniffer).

Time to change it back again, then, if people are steering away from this because of the mention of the word. That controversy was months ago, let's get back to normal.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Running Problem

Problem Child

There was no requirement to change the name,  It was your dig at the mods,.and the renaming didn't get us permission to talk about C. O-vid. (wonder if that version gets past the word-sniffer).

Time to change it back again, then, if people are steering away from this because of the mention of the word. That controversy was months ago, let's get back to normal.

okay. your'e right. I've found it futile to disagree with others this year. Everyone is much smarter than me which is a large reason I'd love to be able to stay away from this place.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Longboat, while you're here, I sent you a DM on Achilles stuff since you were so helpful, would you mind taking a look? Still having a lot of problems, although that Strassburg Sock you mentioned has helped the morning a lot

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: I'm surprised you are so repulsed by a 10k track time trial. Is it just that the distance is too much? You've done long tempos on the track so I assume you have no problem with the surface.

I think that 25 laps at full race effort is very different from 20 laps at tempo effort, in terms of mental strain.

Part of this is that I dislike running on tracks anyway.  I only do it because it's convenient and because my team trains on one.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Hey Running Problem, could you please add my race to the front page?

Wairarapa Country Marathon, Oct 11., goal 2:38:59

It will be going ahead unless things completely turn to crap here again in the next 2 weeks (which is unlikely but not impossible).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave - having run a lot of track sessions, as well as a few 10,000m track races, I totally agree.  25 laps at race pace is mentally really tough.  It's much harder to dig yourself out of a mental hole when all you've got is the same monotonous 400m circuit every time.

One of my favourite workouts coming up to this marathon was 4 or 5 x 1 mile @ MP / 400m @ 5k effort.  5 repeats of that is still 10km, but I find it immeasurably easier than a track 10k race effort.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hey Running Problem, could you please add my race to the front page?

Wairarapa Country Marathon, Oct 11., goal 2:38:59

It will be going ahead unless things completely turn to crap here again in the next 2 weeks (which is unlikely but not impossible).

I will do it. I just expect your race to get canceled. Didn't your country get locked down because some lady was caught taking selfies in a crowd without wearing her mask?

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

I will do it. I just expect your race to get canceled. Didn't your country get locked down because some lady was caught taking selfies in a crowd without wearing her mask?

Thanks (although it looks like Mikkey is running it as well judging from the front page).

Most of our lockdown was due to some naughty people having secret illegal church meetings when they shouldn't have.  Crackdown on illuminati and what have you.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thanks (although it looks like Mikkey is running it as well judging from the front page).

Most of our lockdown was due to some naughty people having secret illegal church meetings when they shouldn't have.  Crackdown on illuminati and what have you.

I can’t even keep track of what island you live on. You think I’m going to keep track of who you are?!?? 
                                mill get it fixed manana. I was going off a made up memory.

VDOT 53.37