2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Mark lives on the island of Auckland. Completely different place to the rest of NZ 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Mark lives on the island of Auckland. Completely different place to the rest of NZ 

Not to be confused with the Auckland Islands which are also part of NZ.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks (although it looks like Mikkey is running it as well judging from the front page).

Yep, I sneaked into NZ undetected via dinghy and will be shooting for 2:36:30. 🤗

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Yep, I sneaked into NZ undetected via dinghy and will be shooting for 2:36:30. 🤗

Nice! Let’s grab a beer after the race!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Any predictions for London?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

The forecast looks good temperature-wise, but about 50% chance of rain, and also a bit on the windy side. If it ends up being rainy a WR is off I think. The bigger question is who wins: Kipchoge or Kenny. If I was betting I'd go with Kipchoge since he's the master of the marathon. If (and it's a big if) Kenny has been disciplined, hasn't chunked up too much, and is in similar form to Berlin last year, he could give Kipchoge the biggest challenge he's ever faced. I really hope it's a race between them to the end and that Kenny does not pull a DNF.

Best case scenario: race goes down to the final sprint and results in a new WR.

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The forecast looks good temperature-wise, but about 50% chance of rain, and also a bit on the windy side. If it ends up being rainy a WR is off I think. The bigger question is who wins: Kipchoge or Kenny. If I was betting I'd go with Kipchoge since he's the master of the marathon. If (and it's a big if) Kenny has been disciplined, hasn't chunked up too much, and is in similar form to Berlin last year, he could give Kipchoge the biggest challenge he's ever faced. I really hope it's a race between them to the end and that Kenny does not pull a DNF.

Best case scenario: race goes down to the final sprint and results in a new WR.

I am really excited to see Bekele v. Kipchoge.

I am even more excited that this race is happening.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yeah it might be a bit too breezy for a WR and I’m not sure if they’ll have any pacers to draft behind...plus the multiple corners. I would guess that Kipchoge will cope better mentally with 19 laps and no crowd/atmosphere after his sub 2 last year...plus he’ll be wearing his platform shoes again whereas Bekele will be sticking to the older VF Next% shoes. Ideally I’d love to see a complete outsider beat them both. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yeah, Bekele will DNS with a calf injury. 

weatherboy80

2020 again proving why we can't have nice things.  BTW, sorry for the lapse in posting, just lost motivation after all the big races were and are still being cancelled.  Still have been running and training fairly hard and actually scheduled to race a local 10K on Sunday.  Weather will be soupy so will be an effort based attempt, but it will be nice to knock off some rust.  Not sure what big event will be next but there may be a half marathon attempt to replace the cancelled CIM in a few months.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Another prescient prediction from you! This is disappointing but also not surprising for Kenny. Maybe Geremew will be able to push Kipchoge a bit.

Good luck on the 10k Weather!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

You're too good. I bet Mikkey thinks Trump is going to get COVID.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You're too good. I bet Mikkey thinks Trump is going to get COVID.

C’mon, we are strictly not allowed to use the C word on this thread!

JT - Not surprised in that you think he wasn’t up for it?  Running two fast sessions too close together seems like a n00b mistake and not that of an experienced WR holder.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/news-media/latest-news/item/bekele-out-of-2020-race/index.html

Weather - Good luck on Sunday. 👍

JT - Not surprised in that you think he wasn’t up for it?  Running two fast sessions too close together seems like a n00b mistake and not that of an experienced WR holder.

Not surprised in that Kenny's career has been plagued by injuries, and his marathon career by DNFs and DNSs. I wonder what his fitness level really is now; that's also largely unknown with him until the race is done. Sort of the opposite of Kipchoge, who's never injured and always shows up in top shape.

Did anyone see the article where Geb (my all-time favorite runner) praises Kipchoge? I wonder how Kenny felt about that....

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/stories/news/detail/haile-gebrselassie-looks-ahead-2020-london-marathon-kipchoge-bekele/

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Did anyone see the article where Geb (my all-time favorite runner) praises Kipchoge? I wonder how Kenny felt about that....

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/stories/news/detail/haile-gebrselassie-looks-ahead-2020-london-marathon-kipchoge-bekele/

It seems like he was being honest as it’s what a lot of people will be thinking anyway. Should he have been more loyal and supportive towards his fellow countryman? That’s a matter of choice!