2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

darkwave maybe if we're lucky. I would expect the nearby cities that get a little bit of tourist money to be a little bit more open to the idea of outsiders coming for the marathon 6 months from now although my way of thinking is very wrong in lots of circles and I'm continually reminded of it. I can't even imagine BAA would let everyone from 2018, 2019, and 2020 marathons (if any) apply and get in. It would be the year of BQ-8:38 being the  standard to get in. Just after all the talk about how important a vaccine is after hearing how we need to flatten the curve (which didn't do anything for us opening back up locally) I can't even expect another marathon or even "holiday themed" race event to happen. Mostly because my governor just recently lifted the 50 person restriction on local churches, bars are opening/closing, and with upcoming holidays that encourage being around people you're not typically around (typically this causes a spike in COVID 19 cases) I just can't see Boston happening until a successful COVID 19 vaccine has been distributed to the masses.

Mikkey honestly, it wouldn't shock me. Election comes, Joe Biden wins and within his first 100 days he reports a decline in the number of deaths due to COVID 19 so we can stop wearing masks. Election comes, Donald Trump wins, and the COVID 19 vaccine isn't available until September 2021 because human trials have been hard to come by. No one is going to make a decision on ANYTHING until after the election I can't even imagine what kind of requirements BAA needs in order to safely put on a marathon in 8 cities with 25,000 people. Maybe they need a locals only year and sell jackets with "Virtural Run" embroidered on the back.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

DW: That makes sense regarding coaching. It's cool that you're open to maybe doing it down the road but I understand it is a lot of work and would definitely take a lot of time and focus.

Valencia: Wow!! I only found out today about Gidey trying for the women's 5000 WR. She is incredible, so smooth. What an awesome race for her. You could tell she really pushed herself to the limit. And Cheptegei as well. That was great to watch. I can't help but think, with both of his WRs run in relatively hot/humid conditions, he still has more time to take off down the road. I'm not sure about sub 12:30 but I think a sub 26:00 10,000 could happen with cool conditions. And for the women, I have to think sub 14 min for 5000 will happen in the next couple years. Gidey might have gotten that today if it had been nice and cool. Very cool that they streamed that for free.

2:52:16 (2018)

Resident Historian

Got the livestream going for the Valencia races earlier today, and suddenly realized "Wait a sec, that track looks familiar... is it... YES!"
        I lived in Valencia from 1994-98, and restarted running there (after a short break, 28 years, after HS track). Three years later I ran the Valencia Marathon as my first; it finished on that track, in the old riverbed through the old city. When I got faster, enough to justify intervals, I went to that track every week. Obviously there's been a resurfacing (or two) since then, and it's a lot fancier now, but still the same track. 

Joshua Cheptegei... wow.  So fast, so smooth, such even splits. Three races in 2020, three world records, running almost eentirely alone for the second half of the race. Just wow!

I've been chugging along at around 20 mpw for a while now. Still getting some twinges from around my hips (hip flexor, piriformis) that I wish would just go away. Getting old sucks! With no races on the horizon, and very busy on other stuff, it's difficult to build up more miles when I know I'll be achy and sore if I do. Hard to get out the door some days. I still enjoy the running itself, "training" not so much.  Might be up to 25 miles this week, though.

Sorry JMac, I just saw your message (2 weeks late). I've just been lurking, not posting; the messages don't show if one is not logged in. Answering after this.

Mark, hope you run really well at Wairarapa!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Magrawlas

Mark   hope you smash it in the Wairarapa tomorrow and get your goal. All the very best to you!👑

Marky_Mark_17

Thanks all. Weather is looking really good, drove the course today and it’ll be really nice countryside running. Mostly flat, a couple of small hills which don’t look too bad but will probably feel harder on the second lap. I actually like that it’s a 2 lap course, it will be just familiar enough on the second lap that you can check the landmarks off as you go.

The pack I’d been aiming to work with are aiming for 2:45. There’s one guy gunning for low-2:30’s. I think that pace will be a bit hot for me but I’ll see how I feel in the morning.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That's a huge gap in pacing. I do think running with a pack is more important in a marathon than any other race, but you may be forced on your own after the 5k mark.

Thanks all. Weather is looking really good, drove the course today and it’ll be really nice countryside running. Mostly flat, a couple of small hills which don’t look too bad but will probably feel harder on the second lap. I actually like that it’s a 2 lap course, it will be just familiar enough on the second lap that you can check the landmarks off as you go.

The pack I’d been aiming to work with are aiming for 2:45. There’s one guy gunning for low-2:30’s. I think that pace will be a bit hot for me but I’ll see how I feel in the morning.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Marky - Good luck tomorrow and just accept that it’ll be more like a TT than a race.  2:36:30 or bust! 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Good luck Mark! Go with that low 2:30s guy (or better yet, stay in front of him )

Marky_Mark_17

Woke up at 4am but hey 7 hours sleep before a goal race is way above average for me!

I’m ok running alone - it’s pretty common territory for me in races and it’s a long time since I ran a half with company for anything more than the first third of the race. A bit nervous whether I can hold the pace and those last few k’s are going to suck but hey time to go get it done!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

7 hours sleep is great Mark. Hope conditions are good. Its blowing hard here today. Go get it 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

2:41 for Mark. Congrats on the massive PR (16 minutes!!); job well done.

Marky_Mark_17

Yep official 2:41:41. Hung with Matt Moloney for most of the first

lap but he started to pick it up around the 20km mark, and I made the call to back off which was in hindsight a very good decision.

Second lap I was holding pace ok for a while but the wind picked up noticeably. That last hill took a lot out, had to deal with a headwind the last 7km which was tough as I was fading too.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

2:57 to a 2:41??????? Wow that’s impressive.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Marky - Good luck tomorrow and just accept that it’ll be more like a TT than a race.  2:36:30 or bust! 

I see what you did there .

Mark - great race. Looked like a difficult course and at only your 2nd marathon, 2:41 is a great time. I will also say that the fact that you had to go up and down trying to taper for the race made it extra difficult. We all know you have that 2:3X in you with a proper taper and a good course.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Congrats Mark!!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)