2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

jhudak55

Funny that. I found that I could have decent workouts and fast easy days, but I raced way below my workouts. Then I eased up on the workouts slightly and really slowed the easy days down to a crawl, and my racing got much much better.

DW: Nice run just a couple of days after the PRP. I should clarify on my easy pace. Thinking about it more, this marathon period and the base before has been the highest consistent mileage I’ve run. So the slower pace is my attempt at injury prevention as I continue to hit new personal mileage records. In addition to staying fresh for the upcoming workout. 

JT: I track the weather the same way before races. My favorite site is weatherunderground.com because they show you the hour by hour temperature and dew point ten days out.

Running Problem

Problem Child

My AirBNB for boston 2021 canceled on me last night. I guess I should start planning a CIM 2021 training session and try to break 3 again. Cal was right. Boston 2021 won't happen. Oddly, I'd say right now that the WON'T take any qualifying times from 2019 because it creates too many runners applying. I've become an even more negative person over the past 6 months and I was actually thinking I'd be ramping the miles up to get ready for my first Boston training cycle through winter with all spring and summer off from running races, or going back to just local races.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

weatherboy80

Yeah I'm even starting to wonder if my local somewhat larger races will get canceled come the winter here with how cases are rising again.  Boston 21 is almost a lock at being canceled I would imagine.  Guess I should be happy with my occasional 5k/10k local races for now 

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Running Problem

Problem Child

My local races are being held virturally so yeah...be happy you can race a 5k.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yeah the UK is the same...depressing doom and gloom every time you switch on the news. I registered for the Brighton marathon and that’s now been moved to the 12th September which is 3 weeks before London.  It’s a shame about Boston as I was really looking forward to crushing Cal, but there’s always 2022 (if he hasn’t retired permanently!)  I’m keeping an eye on the Geneva Marathon website as that’s a race I’d be well up for if there’s any additional places available. https://www.harmonygenevemarathon.com/en/races/view/marathon

JT - I hope the taper is going well!  I had a look at the Ohio website and there’s 299 entrants and noticed that last years top 3 times were 2:51/2:54 and 3:00....so will you be going for the win?    I guess it’ll be another tough TT for you, but you’ve put in the training and I’m sure you’ll have a great race. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah the UK is the same...depressing doom and gloom every time you switch on the news. I registered for the Brighton marathon and that’s now been moved to the 12th September which is 3 weeks before London.  It’s a shame about Boston as I was really looking forward to crushing Cal, but there’s always 2022 (if he hasn’t retired permanently!)  I’m keeping an eye on the Geneva Marathon website as that’s a race I’d be well up for if there’s any additional places available. https://www.harmonygenevemarathon.com/en/races/view/marathon

JT - I hope the taper is going well!  I had a look at the Ohio website and there’s 299 entrants and noticed that last years top 3 times were 2:51/2:54 and 3:00....so will you be going for the win?    I guess it’ll be another tough TT for you, but you’ve put in the training and I’m sure you’ll have a great race. 👍

I was looking forward to Boston as it was going to be my first, and originally it was going to be the 125th so I imagined the jacket was going to be awesome like the one for this year. I was also looking forward to meeting more people on the board, training online together, and all the back and forth about where to meet and when. I'd even planned on staying a little after the race to check a few things out.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ll have to admit that Boston was never on my bucket list of races...until Cal suggested it for our showdown!  I’m happy to race him in any country in the world if he’s up for it.....including Russia. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’ll have to admit that Boston was never on my bucket list of races...until Cal suggested it for our showdown!  I’m happy to race him in any country in the world if he’s up for it.....including Russia. 

Oakland Marathon. It's a month before Boston, close enough I can spectate/participate, and not "all downhill" like CIM. It is also located closer to an international airport than Sacramento. I just wanted my jacket so I can show it off like all the people I saw. Heck, one time my MOM sent me a photo of a guy wearing his at a grocery store.

VDOT 53.37 

Hey Mikkey; taper is going ok, thanks for asking. My HR was through the roof for some reason yesterday which has me a bit worried, but hopefully whatever it was will pass. Good to know about the # of entrants for Ohio! I had not even looked at that; I've been obsessing over the weather. I would expect some fast runners to be there this year since so many fall marathons have been cancelled, but who knows. Thus far the weather looks like it will be good temperature-wise, but there's a high likelihood it will be windy. Makes sense since it is right off of Lake Erie. Each day it changes; it was as high as 22 mph with gusts up to 45, and as low as 8 mph. If it looks really bad a few days out I may just go for Harrisburg 1 week later, but I really would hate to drag things out another week. Jayluf is running Harrisburg, btw.

Geneva looks like a nice race! If you and Cal are up to travelling far, Athens Ohio in April is a good one and likely to happen in 2021 since it is small (150-200 runners). It is perfectly flat and legit. I might run it again next year, and if you guys were going I definitely would. But Cal may not like it since he favors net downhill courses with huge participant numbers (Boston, CIM, LA).

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

But Cal may not like it since he favors net downhill courses with huge participant numbers (Boston, CIM, LA).

I love all the trolling going on without Cal reading it. So sad. Someone sent out the bear signal to get him back in here!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hey Mikkey; taper is going ok, thanks for asking. My HR was through the roof for some reason yesterday which has me a bit worried, but hopefully whatever it was will pass. Good to know about the # of entrants for Ohio! I had not even looked at that; I've been obsessing over the weather. I would expect some fast runners to be there this year since so many fall marathons have been cancelled, but who knows. Thus far the weather looks like it will be good temperature-wise, but there's a high likelihood it will be windy. Makes sense since it is right off of Lake Erie. Each day it changes; it was as high as 22 mph with gusts up to 45, and as low as 8 mph. If it looks really bad a few days out I may just go for Harrisburg 1 week later, but I really would hate to drag things out another week. Jayluf is running Harrisburg, btw.

Geneva looks like a nice race! If you and Cal are up to travelling far, Athens Ohio in April is a good one and likely to happen in 2021 since it is small (150-200 runners). It is perfectly flat and legit. I might run it again next year, and if you guys were going I definitely would. But Cal may not like it since he favors net downhill courses with huge participant numbers (Boston, CIM, LA).

Cal isn't alone in favoring net downhill courses with huge participant numbers. I personally don't care for LA, or the Dodgers so I'll most likely never run that marathon. Ohio? hmmm....kind of an odd place to run a marathon. Flat? Might be right up commanderkeen's alley. Even more with that wind.

VDOT 53.37 

Its one way to get him back here.

I miss that cheating bastard 

I love all the trolling going on without Cal reading it. So sad. Someone sent out the bear signal to get him back in here!

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Alright if covid is still around next year, I say we all fly to New Zealand, quarantine for 14 days, and race Piwi and Mark. Cal can run a downhill marathon, and Mark a downhill half, and we age grade them. Let the greatest cheater win 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

The courses here are all short too so its a win win 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

The courses here are all short too so its a win win 

If it’s less than 30 miles can you even consider it a race course?

VDOT 53.37