2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If it’s less than 30 miles can you even consider it a race course?

If it's less than 30 miles, it's definitely unfulfilling.

JTReeves - I grabbed an entry for Athens.  I'm hoping that Louisiana Marathon happens in January.  But if it doesn't, I can point to Athens.

My week:

65 miles, 1000 yards swimming and 3:30 hours of pool-running
    M: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
    T: 13 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 4x800, 2x200 in 6:34, 3:10, 3:08, 3:08, 3:04, 41 and 41. 5:17 recovery after the 1600; 2:5x recovery after the 800s; full recovery for the 200s. Followed with leg strengthwork, streaming yoga, and 500 yards recovery swimming.
    W: 12 miles very easy (9:23), streaming yoga, and 30 minutes of pool-running
    Th: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
    F: 12 miles, including a workout of 2 miles, 1 mile with 3 minute recovery (6:36/6:40 and then 6:45); followed by 6x90 seconds tempo effort/30 seconds easy plus 10x30 seconds hard 60 seconds easy. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
    Sa: 12 miles easy (9:07), followed by streaming yoga and 30 minutes pool-running.
    Su: 15 miles progressive, split as first 5 averaging 9:25, next 5 averaging 7:56, next 5 averaging 6:59, plus a mile cooldown. Followed with streaming yoga, leg strengthwork, and 50 minutes pool-running.

Still rebuilding. I started a hair too fast and blew myself up on Friday (that workout was SUPPOSED to be 2x2 miles), but other than that was happy with this week.  I've started adding in an extra half-hour of pool-running on Wednesday and Saturday to try to build up my volume some more, with a goal of a mid-January marathon.  This was the first of 3 weeks at higher volume, followed by another big down week for the second set of PRP injections.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

58 mile week. Skipped a day due to work. 1 workout of 9 miles ‘tempo’ where I pushed from 7:40/mi goal to 7:30ish then hammered out a 6:50/mi pace for the last mile which was the peak of threshold for the run and about where I’d expect to be. Felt good to run that fast for one mile and know the gear was still there. No WAY I’d hammer it out for 3 or more unless I was SERIOUSLY prepared for it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Darkwave where could you race a full marathon mid January? I’m going to attempt to convince a friend to run Oakland as a BQ attempt and his first marathon since CIM was canceled. Similar weather and a flatter course instead of rolling hills for 23 miles.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

DW: That's great your looking at Athens. Would you still run it if you do Louisiana? It would be great to run it with you. It was an awesome, fast and flat course, nice paved wide bike path along the river, out and back and then finishing on the track; the only negative was the pouring rain when I ran it. In good weather it is definitely a PR course.

RP: Nice mileage; good to see you're getting back into it. Any interest in running Athens with DW and me? And maybe Mikkey and Cal 

This was the first week of taper for me. I'm not sure what the deal was but I felt pretty lousy on Thursday for a planned 2 x 2 mi final workout. DW, like your 2 x 2 mi I cut mine short; I only did 2 mi and it felt so difficult I knew I needed to pull the plug. My HR was super high even during the warm-up. I had sort of been feeling like I had a low-grade bug of some sort the previous several days. Today's run felt closer to normal. Hopefully I'll be 100% in another week. This final week will probably be 3 days of running: 8mi Tue, 8mi Wed, and 5-6 mi Thu with 1 mi fast. Then Friday and Saturday off and race on Sunday. Knock on wood, the weather looks decent now. Temp is good, looks like no rain, and the wind will not be too bad, though that has been changing every day. Unless the forecast changes dramatically I will be a go for Northern Ohio.

Distance   Pace   Gain
          Tue   Afternoon Run on TM   6.02   8:50   0
          Wed   Morning Run   8.21   8:10   554
          Thu   Morning Run w/ 2 mi (6:12, 6:10)   11.07   7:39   702
          Sat   Trails in Sega Park   8.15   8:59   522
          Sun   Morning Run   13.60   7:50   719

Total distance: 47.05 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Athens? Like the place where they wrote that story about the guy who ran a marathon like three times in a row? I don’t think I’m near marathon shape with just two 55+ mile weeks. This is a build up towards a real cycle. Just gotta get back into it before I have to relive 2018 and 2019 (pre-CIM) again.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Athens? Like the place where they wrote that story about the guy who ran a marathon like three times in a row? I don’t think I’m near marathon shape with just two 55+ mile weeks. This is a build up towards a real cycle. Just gotta get back into it before I have to relive 2018 and 2019 (pre-CIM) again.

The Battle of Marathon - In 490 BC a foot soldier messenger raced from Marathon to Athens to announce that the Greeks had beaten the Persians! Unfortunately he then keeled over and died as he hadn’t taken enough gels or water.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

The Battle of Marathon - In 490 BC a foot soldier messenger raced from Marathon to Athens to announce that the Greeks had beaten the Persians! Unfortunately he then keeled over and died as he hadn’t taken enough gels or water.

I heard it was actually an ultra marathon/3 day stage race over 100k

VDOT 53.37 

jhudak55

DW: Good week. What is your plan with the uncertainty around races? If the races you are looking at in mid-January cancel, are you planning to push to late-January, February, etc.? I ask because I have all my eggs in the Rehoboth Beach Marathon basket and don't have a good plan should they decide to cancel.

JT: You're in great shape right now. I wouldn't worry about the higher HR or workout this week. I'm expecting an impressive time at Northern Ohio, 2:45? Do they have any type of live tracking system?

RP: Nice week. Are you putting a marathon on the calendar before CIM 2021?

My week

55.1 miles

M: 5.1 miles easy (9:05)

T: 12.3 miles with a 7 mile tempo averaging 6:37

W: 5.1 miles easy (8:24)

T: 10 miles easy (8:21)

F: 10.1 miles easy (8:55)

S: 12.5 miles easy (8:46)

S: Off

Lower mileage week for me due to a skipped long run yesterday. Going to try to make it up this afternoon. Ran a 7 mile tempo on Tuesday which caused my hamstrings to tighten up quite a bit. Did some extra rolling and they were back to normal by Friday.

Running Problem

Problem Child

JD well ideally I'd be KEEPING a marathon on the calendar. Boston was my goal race for about 3 years and I finally got in for 2021. I might put something together between now and then. I'm mostly just trying to not lose all the endurance and speed I built up over 2018 and 2019.

VDOT 53.37 

weatherboy80

JT: hope that taper is treating you well.  Enjoy this last week! Hopefully the weather holds out for ya since you are ready to roll.

DW: Nice big week as always.  Always love to see how consistent you are with general fitness overall. Solid looking workout in there as well!

RP: Looks like a solid week to me.

JD: Glad the hammy feels better.  Nice week overall!

Me: Got to actually have an in person race on Saturday evening.  Very happy with effort overall especially considering the nervousness of my lower hamstring from the week earlier.  Was happy on Wednesday where I was able to feel really no residual pain on my 400's (started easy and then progressed to hard on these) other than some tightness afterwards.  Rest of my week I could feel some very minor discomfort, but during the 5K can't say I felt anything at all.  As for the 5K went out as hard as possible even though it was pretty warm -- about 83 with a heat index of right about 88 and a decent southeast breeze off the water. So TDP easily in the upper 150's.   This was another small 5K so went out in the lead and had another Masters level runner stay with me (he was once quite a bit faster) and we actually raced together through about mile 2.6 where he then decided to throw down close to sub 5 pace on me over the last 800 meters and got me by about 8 seconds.  Even though my effort level was pegged in the red zone for a longer than I wanted felt like I ran about as well as I could given the conditions.  Course had some slight rollers and as I mentioned we had to battle just a bit of wind in the 2nd and 3rd mile.  Mile splits were 5:14, 19, 19, and I finished the last 0.12 in 4:52 good for second overall.  Not quite my fastest 5K, but given the heat gotta be happy with the current fitness level.  As I mentioned before, I'm hoping to run a half at the end of November, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that one go virtual at some point.  I'm not going super crazy on anything structured regarding a training plan other than trying to ensure 2 quality days a week (one speed and one threshold based).  Oh and if anyone sees fall tell them they are more than welcome to come down to Florida for a bit.  Dew point is currently sitting at 79 degrees!

Weekly for period: From: 10/19/2020 To 10/25/2020

Date Name Distance
                      in mi
                      Duration Avg Pace
                      per mi
                      Elevation Gain
                      in ft
                      10/19/2020 EZ Hills 11.26 01:38:46 08:46 574
                      10/20/2020 A year ago I actually got to experience fall! 11.26 01:30:30 08:02 23
                      10/20/2020 Afternoon Run 4.11 00:33:14 08:05 23
                      10/21/2020 EZ + 10x400@testing out the leg paces + EZ 12.23 01:39:48 08:10 36
                      10/22/2020 Morning Run 10.21 01:31:01 08:55 39
                      10/23/2020 EZ + strides 7.21 00:56:21 07:49 30
                      10/24/2020 Warm up 3.10 00:26:01 08:24 62
                      10/24/2020 Ghostly Gecko 5K (16:28.8) 3.13 00:16:30 05:16 52
                      10/24/2020 6 more 6.02 00:48:03 07:59 10
                      10/25/2020 That one got warm quickly! 8.61 01:08:24 07:57 138

Total distance: 77.13mi

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JT: hope that taper is treating you well.  Enjoy this last week! Hopefully the weather holds out for ya since you are ready to roll.

DW: Nice big week as always.  Always love to see how consistent you are with general fitness overall. Solid looking workout in there as well!

RP: Looks like a solid week to me.

JD: Glad the hammy feels better.  Nice week overall!

Me: Got to actually have an in person race on Saturday evening.  Very happy with effort overall especially considering the nervousness of my lower hamstring from the week earlier.  Was happy on Wednesday where I was able to feel really no residual pain on my 400's (started easy and then progressed to hard on these) other than some tightness afterwards.  Rest of my week I could feel some very minor discomfort, but during the 5K can't say I felt anything at all.  As for the 5K went out as hard as possible even though it was pretty warm -- about 83 with a heat index of right about 88 and a decent southeast breeze off the water. So TDP easily in the upper 150's.   This was another small 5K so went out in the lead and had another Masters level runner stay with me (he was once quite a bit faster) and we actually raced together through about mile 2.6 where he then decided to throw down close to sub 5 pace on me over the last 800 meters and got me by about 8 seconds.  Even though my effort level was pegged in the red zone for a longer than I wanted felt like I ran about as well as I could given the conditions.  Course had some slight rollers and as I mentioned we had to battle just a bit of wind in the 2nd and 3rd mile.  Mile splits were 5:14, 19, 19, and I finished the last 0.12 in 4:52 good for second overall.  Not quite my fastest 5K, but given the heat gotta be happy with the current fitness level.  As I mentioned before, I'm hoping to run a half at the end of November, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that one go virtual at some point.  I'm not going super crazy on anything structured regarding a training plan other than trying to ensure 2 quality days a week (one speed and one threshold based).  Oh and if anyone sees fall tell them they are more than welcome to come down to Florida for a bit.  Dew point is currently sitting at 79 degrees!

Weekly for period: From: 10/19/2020 To 10/25/2020

Date Name Distance
                        in mi
                        Duration Avg Pace
                        per mi
                        Elevation Gain
                        in ft
                        10/19/2020 EZ Hills 11.26 01:38:46 08:46 574
                        10/20/2020 A year ago I actually got to experience fall! 11.26 01:30:30 08:02 23
                        10/20/2020 Afternoon Run 4.11 00:33:14 08:05 23
                        10/21/2020 EZ + 10x400@testing out the leg paces + EZ 12.23 01:39:48 08:10 36
                        10/22/2020 Morning Run 10.21 01:31:01 08:55 39
                        10/23/2020 EZ + strides 7.21 00:56:21 07:49 30
                        10/24/2020 Warm up 3.10 00:26:01 08:24 62
                        10/24/2020 Ghostly Gecko 5K (16:28.8) 3.13 00:16:30 05:16 52
                        10/24/2020 6 more 6.02 00:48:03 07:59 10
                        10/25/2020 That one got warm quickly! 8.61 01:08:24 07:57 138

Total distance: 77.13mi

I have some 20F weather I'd LOVE to send your way. Glad I don't have to drive to work right now.

VDOT 53.37 

jhudak: Nice week, that 7 mi tempo was insane! Are you following a Pfitz plan (maybe you already mentioned that)? I know his plans top out at a 7 mi tempo. Thanks for the positive words. The goal is sub 2:50. They do have runner tracking; you can go to the link for it on this page: https://runsignup.com/Race/Info/OH/Mentor/NorthernOhioMarathon

Weather: Looks like a strong week! Great job on the fast 5k. Do you have a goal to break 16 min at some point? With some specific 5k training I'm sure you could do it. Hard for me to imagine the dew points you are dealing with now. Those are gone up north now; a few days ago the dew point here was 58 or 59 and I felt like it was really muggy . I'm officially used to the cool weather at this point.

jhudak55

JT: Yep. I’m doing the 18/70 plan and added recovery runs in lieu of days off. 

Rehoboth Beach Marathon was cancelled today. Not quite sure what my plan is going to be going forward. I’ll figure something out over the next week or so.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cal was correct. No Boston 2021 and he was calling it what seems like in April or June.

https://www.baa.org/2021-boston-marathon-will-not-take-place-april

2021 Boston Marathon Will Not Take Place in April

<article>

The Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.) has announced that the 125th Boston Marathon, traditionally held on the third Monday in April—Patriots’ Day in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts—will be postponed until at least the fall of 2021. The B.A.A., which has been meeting regularly with its COVID-19 Medical & Event Operations Advisory Group to determine when and how the Boston Marathon can be held again, will begin working with local, city, and state officials, sponsors, organizing committee members, and other stakeholders to determine if a fall 2021 date is feasible.

“With fewer than six months until Patriots’ Day and with road races prohibited until Phase 4 of the Massachusetts reopening plan, we are unable to host the Boston Marathon this coming April,” said Tom Grilk, C.E.O. of the B.A.A. “By shifting our focus to a fall date, we can continue to work with stakeholders to adjust the in-person experience for runners and supporters alike. Prioritizing the safety of participants, volunteers, spectators, and community members, we continue to assess all elements of the race including a potential reduced field size or weekend date.”

No 2021 date has been selected, however, the B.A.A. will work with local, city, and state officials and members of its COVID-19 Medical & Event Operations Advisory Group to establish under what conditions the next live, in-person Boston Marathon can occur. Before the end of the year, the B.A.A. seeks to announce a new date. Other details such as when registration may open and the field size, pending local regulations and the event plan, will also be forthcoming. Information regarding other 2021 B.A.A. events, including the B.A.A. 5K, B.A.A. 10K, and B.A.A. Half Marathon, will be announced at a later date.

“We are optimistic that the Boston Marathon will continue its tradition of celebrating the spirit of community and athletic excellence next fall. We know there will be many questions and we will look to address them in the coming months ahead,” Grilk said.

The 2020 Boston Marathon, originally scheduled for April 20, was held as a ten-day Virtual Experience after being canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

</article>

VDOT 53.37 

jhudak: Sorry to hear about the cancellation. I hope you can find an alternative; you're in great shape and ready to race.

Mother Nature is giving me the middle finger for this Sunday. The forecast by all sites is horrible for Mentor OH; ~60% chance of rain with winds in the 16-20 mph range during the race. No way I am racing in those conditions. It seems to be locking in to that forecast the last few days. If it's the same tomorrow I'll be switching to target Harrisburg on Nov 8. Honestly, they have had a much better and more clearly communicated race plan compared to Northern Ohio, so maybe it is for the best.