2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

weatherboy80

Best of luck JT!!!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Knowing JT, he loves two days off before, so he must be running Sunday!

Good luck!!! By far the best shape you've been in.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Hey thanks everyone! JMac deduced correctly; I am in the Sunday race. Originally I was in the 8:40AM start corral but for men if you are running under 3 hours you are considered "elite" and get to start in the 6:50 AM corral, so I switched to that. The forecast has held pretty steady; looks like it will be about 46 at the start and warming to around 58 at the finish. A bit warmer than I'd like but otherwise perfect (very calm and no rain). Knock on wood, I've managed to avoid getting a cold my son had this week. My HR has been a bit high for the last week, I'm not sure why, but it is dropping the last 24h or so. Should be ready to roll by Sunday.

2:52:16 (2018)

Magrawlas

Good luck JT! !! Hope it all goes to plan

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Good luck JT.  You’ve done all the hard work in training, so think positive and go smash it! 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Have a great race JT your training always looks superb to me so I'm sure you will do well.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

BREAKING NEWS - Cal has posted a run on Strava!!!!!!!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Truly shocking - what does this development mean for the world?

(come back Cal!)

JTReeves hasn't posted yet, so I'll just congratulate him on a good marathon Smile

My week:

56 miles, 1000 yards swimming and 3 hours of pool-running
                  M: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                  T: 12.5 miles easy (8:53), plus drills and four hill strides, plus streaming yoga.
                  W: 14 miles, including a 4 mile tempo in 26:25 (6:42/6:38/6:35/6:30); followed by 10x30 seconds hard, 60 seconds easy. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                  Th: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                  F: 12.5 miles very easy (8:57) plus drills and four strides, followed by streaming yoga and 30 minutes pool-running
                  Sa: 17 miles, including a workout of 4 miles, 3 miles, 2 miles, 1 mile at marathon effort with 1 mile float. Splits were:
                  4 miles in 27:34 (7:01/6:53/6:53/6:47 - 6:54 pace); 7:42 float;
                  3 miles in 20:15 (6:47/6:47/6:41 - 6:45 pace); 7:45 float;
                  2 miles in 13:27 (6:44/6:43 - 6:44 pace); 7:51 float;
                  1 mile in 6:36.
                  Followed with streaming yoga, leg strengthwork, and 500 yards recovery swimming
                  Su: Streaming yoga and 50 minutes of pool-running.

Don't get too excited about Saturday's run - I honestly don't think I'm in that type of shape, and wonder if perhaps the footpod is a bit off (though it's been accurate on the track before).  I have another track workout on Tuesday, so I'll check it then.

Tuesday is also my second (and hopefully last) set of PRP injections in the right ankle, so that will be another few days off.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I reached to cal on one of his old runs and he said it was mostly a lack of races that stopped his running.

edit: started a 5/10k training plan. Lines up with a March race if I want to go that long. Skipped a few three runs this week because a family member said he needed my trailer for three weeks, then a week, then didn’t and it ok all three days to get it ready for Saturday. Winter has arrived. First snow.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Hey all, back home now from Harrisburg. A word of advice: don't drive 4 hours immediately after running a marathon; my wife almost had to extract me out of the car. Anyway, it did not go how I hoped. 2:56:09, with a 1:24:30 first half (good) and then a blowup around 16 miles and a slog to the finish. As I think I mentioned here, something has not been right with me for about the last 1.5-2 weeks. My resting and running HR has been high for some reason. This translated to the race; my HR was way higher than what it normally is during "good" marathons (~165 average). Before I backed off on the later miles it was getting up to 175 avg for some miles. For my 10 mile TT it didn't even get that high. I don't feel like I overdid things this cycle; if anything I consciously tried to avoid overdoing things, especially with the LRs. So I don't think it is due to burnout/overtraining. It's a bit of a mystery. But I'm glad I didn't quit (the temptation was very strong to do so) and bagged another sub 3 at least. Looks like I was 25th overall and 3rd in the 45-49 AG. Not sure if those are final results though.

The race was really well done. They started people in corrals which were pre-assigned every 10 min, starting at 6:50 for the first corral, and the last at 9:00. Within a corral, you were spaced at cones 6 ft apart, and started one at a time every 10 seconds or so. I was worried that with everyone spaced apart, and so many turns on the course, taking a wrong turn might be an issue but they had volunteers directing you everywhere and tons of signs as well. I did not particularly like the course itself; the views were beautiful but there were lots of 180 deg turns and a big gravel section. Plus a lot of sidewalk sections which were uneven. Some of these issues are probably less for the normal course, but they modified it due to covid to a 2 loop version with less of the straight sections along the river. But the vibe was great; people were really friendly and probably the most talkative of any race I've done. I think a lot of that was just being able to race this year made everyone happy.

I will go after 2:50 again next spring, probably at Athens. Not ready to give up on it yet!  Going to take it easy for a bit and then I'd like to train for shorter stuff for a while, specifically to try to break 11:00 for 2 miles on the track. Might be beyond my abilities but I'll see how close I can get.

DW: Great week by you; I was impressed with your workouts. Hope the PRP goes well again.

RP: Do you have a goal time for the 5k/10k plan?

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hey all, back home now from Harrisburg. A word of advice: don't drive 4 hours immediately after running a marathon; my wife almost had to extract me out of the car. Anyway, it did not go how I hoped. 2:56:09, with a 1:24:30 first half (good) and then a blowup around 16 miles and a slog to the finish. As I think I mentioned here, something has not been right with me for about the last 1.5-2 weeks. My resting and running HR has been high for some reason. This translated to the race; my HR was way higher than what it normally is during "good" marathons (~165 average). Before I backed off on the later miles it was getting up to 175 avg for some miles. For my 10 mile TT it didn't even get that high. I don't feel like I overdid things this cycle; if anything I consciously tried to avoid overdoing things, especially with the LRs. So I don't think it is due to burnout/overtraining. It's a bit of a mystery. But I'm glad I didn't quit (the temptation was very strong to do so) and bagged another sub 3 at least. Looks like I was 25th overall and 3rd in the 45-49 AG. Not sure if those are final results though.

FWIW I think you should be pretty happy with that one.  i don't know of anyone who ran Harrisburg who was happy with their race with several mentioning the course's many turns and rough surfaces at places (not blaming the race org - they did what they could).

But I get it - it's not what you wanted to run or were in shape to run.  I do wonder if you are subtly fighting off a bug.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

What’s next, me posting one???

(I’m going to have to soon I signed up for a long race in January in Texas...)

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JT I was going to look you up for race results, but I don't know your real name. I might not even be a follower of yours on strava.

5k Goal would be a sub 20. Maybe if I'm ballsy I go for 19:30 and try to get back closer to sub 3 shape. I know it's easy for you to do. It's just been such a hard goal and makes me feel pretty elite. Doing it only once could be a fluke. Doing it on different courses would be cool.

PJ welcome back. Are you getting kicked out of California any time soon? A family member of mine works for a company called Aerotek (no the temp staffing agency) and drives a fuel truck. He was just sent to Qunicy and is leaving there for New Mexico or something like that this week. Apparently the fire up there and the weather coming don't require much helicopters. Find any cool artifacts recently?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Hi everyone,

I am usually on here giving coaching advice.

My XC coaching season wraps up this weekend for 2020 and in a little over a year I am turning 50 in January.

My background as a Marathon runner is that I went sub 3 in my teens, 20's, 30's, and 40's with a lifetime PR of 2:40:50.  I have run very little over the past two years.  Very little!

So, I want to run another sub 3 in my 50's.  Basically I will drop into a race in 2022 sometime after my birthday in January and that will be that.  At least for another 10 years!

So I am going to start this week and would like a little accountability for myself as I start out basically like a new runner.  This thread looks like it would really help me accomplish that.  This is a great community you guys have built here!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Welcome the the madhouse. Should be interesting watching the progress. Any idea where your fitness level is right now?

VDOT 53.37