2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

I'm about 10-15 pounds above race weight and the running I have done in the past two years is not what I would have called running when I was serious about it.

The only thing I have going for me right now is that I own a contracting company and even though I don't have to work physically I love to do so.  So, I get some low level aerobic benefit from that.

Otherwise, I am a little nervous because I have a tendency to get out of control real quick and also I am becoming an older man.  So, I have a tendency to get hurt easily, whereas when I was younger I never had injuries.  That all changed around the age of 35.

So my training for the first few months will look VERY unimpressive.

Anyway, I'm really happy to join in here!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - did you get a coronavirus test? May have been worth exploring if you just had lower symptoms and the fact that it's been spreading in CT (well, everywhere). Either way, this was below your potential and I agree with you: your training indicated much better. High heart rate all week says it was an underlying issue. Your 2:4X will come one day!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

otter: Welcome! That sounds like a great goal. I'm sure with your coaching background and knowledge you will know exactly what you need to do to get there.

JMac: I did not get a covid test, but my son just had one and it was negative (he had a cold last week). I think I had some sort of a bug; at the beginning I had some congestion and it moved more into the sinus/ear area the last week.

DW: You have a huge network of running contacts! It seems like you know someone in every race. It's good to hear that others felt the same about the course. I think the "normal" course would be a lot better with much more of the nice straight part along the river.

I did notice there was someone with Swim's name in the race, also around the same age as I think he is, but doubt it was him (his is a very common name).

RP: Sub 20 should be no problem; you almost did that on your time trial. Are you following the JD 5k program? I was looking at his 1500m to 2-mile training plans and may try some of those workouts but with much less frequency.

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JT yeah the JD 5k/10k plan is what I've picked. It's really the only plan I have a copy of and without needing to hire a coach, or educate myself on a bunch of things it's my best option. Sub 20 has been close for a few years and I PROBABLY would have done it in March 2020 had COVID 19 caused shut downs just two weeks later. I think my local race, like Boston 2020, was ideal weather that day and I was in really good shape with a high still lingering from CIM. I might have even gone after a sub 19 just based on online calculators and 'imaginary" friends telling me I'm capable of more. Now I just need something to get me through the holidays and another miserable patch at work.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

RP:  I'm hoping to get back into sub-20 5K shape as well, but I've got a lot more work to do than you right now.  I did shave off a good chunk of time this summer, so things are headed in the right direction, and I'm starting to feel more motivated again.

Hey to everyone, been a while since I've posted, but still reading, and I'm hoping to become a regular again.  In the meantime, I've been getting health stuff sorted out with my cardiologist the past couple of months.  Results of all of the testing and heart monitor indicated that I have asymptomatic non-transient supra-ventricular tachycardia, plus a rare extra beat in my atrial chamber.  Nothing that requires medication or anything at this point, beyond making a few adjustments to life.  In the end, all good things, and it's not impacting my running.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RP:  I'm hoping to get back into sub-20 5K shape as well, but I've got a lot more work to do than you right now.  I did shave off a good chunk of time this summer, so things are headed in the right direction, and I'm starting to feel more motivated again.

Hey to everyone, been a while since I've posted, but still reading, and I'm hoping to become a regular again.  In the meantime, I've been getting health stuff sorted out with my cardiologist the past couple of months.  Results of all of the testing and heart monitor indicated that I have asymptomatic non-transient supra-ventricular tachycardia, plus a rare extra beat in my atrial chamber.  Nothing that requires medication or anything at this point, beyond making a few adjustments to life.  In the end, all good things, and it's not impacting my running.

Good to see you back and sounds like good news!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Hey to everyone, been a while since I've posted, but still reading, and I'm hoping to become a regular again.

You are WAY too old to be running!!!!

OMR

Dwave:  Thanks, and yeah, good news overall.

rovatti:  Yeah, you’re right!  (Actually, I thought that when I started running back in 2010.)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Good to see BOTH of y'all post on this forum!

OMR - I ended up getting a Mankato half-marathon medal and a really nice shirt sent to me - I had thought they'd just cancel my entry when I didn't respond to inquiries about running the virtual race but nope. I'm loving the shirt, and it's cool to have a race shirt that I'm sure nobody else in my immediate area of the country has.

my week (I'm lazy, so posting the same on both threads)

45 miles and 2:30 hours of pool-running
                    M: 9 miles (8:55) plus an easy mile on the track to calibrate foodpod, followed by upper body weights/core.
                    T: 12 miles easy (8:53), including a track workout of 2x800, 1600, 2x800, 2x200 in 3:07, 3:08, 6:23, 3:05, 3:02, 43, and 42. ~2:30 recoveries after the 800s, 4:50 recovery after the 1600, full recovery for the 200s. Followed with leg strengthwork and yoga. PRP injections in afternoon.
                    W: Off
                    Th: Off
                    F: 45 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                    Sa: 9 miles easy (8:54), drills and two strides, yoga, and 50 minutes of pool-running.
                    Su: 14 miles, with the first 12 easy to moderate (progressing from 9:52 down to 7:12), followed by 2 miles cooldown (stopped my watch at 13.12 and reset it so that I had an official "half-marathon" time). Followed with streaming yoga and 55 minutes of pool-running.

I did my second round of PRP injections in my right ankle on Tuesday, so that meant two days on the couch and then easing back into things. The ankle feels fine. However, I belatedly realized that...when you do PRP, they take a lot of blood. (they pulled about 180 ml - 20 vials of blood; 450-500ml is standard for a blood donation). No surprise that I've felt tired with a slightly elevated heart rate when running for several days after each PRP session. With that knowledge, I decided to keep Sunday's run easy to moderate.

As an aside, I ended up unintentionally registered for two virtual half-marathons (Mankato and New Jersey). I totally forgot about them until medals and other schwag showed up in the mail. Since I was pulling back on stuff this weekend anyway, I decided just to pause my watch at 13.12 miles today and submit that as my "race" to each, so that I could keep the medals.

(I'm normally NOT a medal person. Promise.)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Katia77

Thought I'd  join the long lost posters. OMR, nice to see you and DW, I've been following hoping you get a chance to race!! It's also nice to see people getting the chance to do SOME races.

TO that end, I ran Revel limited edition Mt. Charleston on Friday, and ended at 3:15:16. I don't know how I pulled it off other than around mile 19, my body took over and wouldn't really let me appreciably slow down. First marathon since Boston 2018 so it was weird. If anyone's interested, I know Revel has a controversial rap because of the downhill races, but they put on a really good race and frankly, I'd support them again. I'm just really glad some RDs are making it happen.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thought I'd  join the long lost posters. OMR, nice to see you and DW, I've been following hoping you get a chance to race!! It's also nice to see people getting the chance to do SOME races.

TO that end, I ran Revel limited edition Mt. Charleston on Friday, and ended at 3:15:16. I don't know how I pulled it off other than around mile 19, my body took over and wouldn't really let me appreciably slow down. First marathon since Boston 2018 so it was weird. If anyone's interested, I know Revel has a controversial rap because of the downhill races, but they put on a really good race and frankly, I'd support them again. I'm just really glad some RDs are making it happen.

My Charleston. Like...in Vegas? Same one where the weather sucked for me? Nice job pulling out the 3:15. That’s a BQ right? Hope the kids are doing awesome, and hope you’re back in the office. If you’re at home with kids training for a marathon you’re my hero for three MORE reasons.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

RP and JT, thank you for the welcoming message.

My week, as promised, unimpressive.  Three runs of around 30 minutes.  Again, just starting out again and looking to get this going slowly.  I have around 15 months before I will race.

The girls XC team I coach finished their season with a great race with the first scoring five averaging 19:36 with our best running 18:50 on a tough course.  I am pretty sure they could all beat me in a race of any distance right now!

OMR

Dwave:  Yeah, I liked the Mankato shirt when I ran it, too.  Don't remember the medal...stashed in a drawer somewhere, haha.  Glad to hear the ankle feels fine.  And you can thank rovatti for me being here...he sent me a pm asking if I was still alive.

Katia:  A big hello to you as well, nice to see you here.  And congrats on the 3:15...looks like you need to update your signature!

RP:  You have any ultras in the back of your mind, or are you sticking to the shorter stuff for the time being (assuming there is any stuff)?

otter1:  Belated welcome (although I haven't been here for a while, so...)  Anyhow, that's quite a string of decades under 3:00, I'm curious about when (what decade) the lifetime PR happened.

My week.  I'm just base building right now, so nothing terribly exciting.  But this is my highest weekly training mileage since January, so that's something.

M:  7.8M @ 8:23

T:  8.4M @ 8:10 w/strides

W:  7.8M @ 8:15

T:  6.2M @ 8:13

F:  8.0M @ 8:06 O/A w/20min steady state @ 7:11

S:  7.7M @ 8:25

S:  10.4M @ 8:42

Total:  56.3M

Katia77

Running problem - yes, that one. I forgot what the weather was like for you? It was pretty ideal, but it was in the 20s at the top and almost 60 at the end, and it felt SO DAMN HOT for those last 6 or so miles for some reason. I go into the office about 2x a week, but I'm mostly at home. I'm not a hero, though, I have a nanny and my dad has been here since March. My 4yo is in school as well.

OMR - that's great weekly mileage! This is embarrassing but the first week of September I ran 20 miles. I built up to 47, peaking the week of Halloween. I'd had canceled races and went on vacation to Jackson Hole/Yellowstone first week of September and had given up on a race. I' keep thinking if I actually get a good training cycle in I can get sub 3:15, and eventually sub 3:00, which is my end goal really. I think my max weekly mileage ever is like 52.

To that end, I'm thinking of signing up for Two Rivers Marathon in PA in March. I need a week off, but then I'm hoping to build on my base. Logistics of traveling w/Covid right now and getting stuck somewhere, with or without my kids, has held me back from flying thus far.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

jhudak55

After Rehoboth was cancelled I decided to check out of all things running for a while. I took a week completely off, then two weeks of very little running (16 miles last week and 11 the week prior). I was feeling pretty beat up so I decided not to try and find another race that may/may not actually happen. The new plan is to target a late March marathon (hopefully Shamrock), but it looks like there are a decent number of options at this point.

JTReeves: Congrats on the sub 3. I know you were shooting for 2:50, but running on gravel and sidewalks sounds pretty rough. That is a great result nonetheless!

DW: Very nice couple of weeks for you. Your workouts look really good.