2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Running problem - yes, that one. I forgot what the weather was like for you? It was pretty ideal, but it was in the 20s at the top and almost 60 at the end, and it felt SO DAMN HOT for those last 6 or so miles for some reason. I go into the office about 2x a week, but I'm mostly at home. I'm not a hero, though, I have a nanny and my dad has been here since March. My 4yo is in school as well.

OMR - that's great weekly mileage! This is embarrassing but the first week of September I ran 20 miles. I built up to 47, peaking the week of Halloween. I'd had canceled races and went on vacation to Jackson Hole/Yellowstone first week of September and had given up on a race. I' keep thinking if I actually get a good training cycle in I can get sub 3:15, and eventually sub 3:00, which is my end goal really. I think my max weekly mileage ever is like 52.

To that end, I'm thinking of signing up for Two Rivers Marathon in PA in March. I need a week off, but then I'm hoping to build on my base. Logistics of traveling w/Covid right now and getting stuck somewhere, with or without my kids, has held me back from flying thus far.

It sucked. They were 1 degree off the record high the day before. I suffered, and I think it worked out better in the long run because it showed how close I really was to my goal time, and built more of that "what are you going to do on race day" mentality I've lost. Plus it made for a great Strava story. Big grin The heat at the end is part of what made it suck so much. The climb at mile 24 was where I saw one guy I'd gone back and forth with give up and start walking. Also where I had the thoughts (like an angel/demon) of quitting being okay because of how much pain I was in and how much suffering I'd gone through to that point. Memories I'll never forget. Pulled some dad strength out right there.

Did they still do the "rolling" start? I wasn't really ready for that. The course was boring (thankfully I was there to race not see the sights) and the finish line was just awful. No shade, hot, no where to sit or spend any time really. I guess during COVID 19 it would be more beneficial, BUT during a NORMAL year it might be nice to have some shade tents on those large grass fields next to the parking lot.

Wait.....school? Like...IN PERSON school? SHEESH! Y'all start EARLY. Must be the genes. I think NeRP/Fatty McFatpants will start in about 3 years.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Katia77

RP - I'll upload my splits, but I actually negative split it. I don't know how, I just know that after a lot of "why am I doing this to myself" headgames, my body took over at mile 18/19 and I kept running. Mile 24 was my second slowest mile (7:42), and you're right.. that one sucked. Uphill, hot AF, and I was on the sidewalk legitimately concerned I'd trip on anything uneven but so HOT. By then I knew as long as I jogged I'd get a PR out of it, so I kept going. I kinda wish I'd pushed at some point for the sub 3:15, but I'm happy with it, especially with my training (or lack thereof). They did the start in waves of 50. I was wave 2. The idea was literally for each person to start separately, and it went well. My son is in PreK. Methods, vary, but he is so not a candidate for nothing to straight kindergarten. I needed him to learn how to follow directions first. Plus, he loves it and hubby and i are working from home a lot.

I still can't walk down stairs, definitely taking a week off.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Katia 18-19 is about where I missed the aid station last year, the two after that (right before and right after the road splits and you take a right) were well organized. Sounds like it was a good race for you. Planning on applying for Boston 2021/22?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

We need to get this thread back at the top...simply because it’s about running and training. 😁

JT - I hope you’re recovering ok after that very respectable performance!  I’ve run a few low key solo marathons and they are tough compared to a major with crowd support and perfect terrain. You’ll be back better than ever next year. 👍

Otter - Belated welcome to the thread and I’m sure it’ll be a lot more active next year.  With your knowledge and experience it’s inevitable that you’ll go sub3 again at 50! 👍.  You are in good company anyway as I’m 54 (same age as Cal)  Plus there is darkwave who is getting on a bit 😉 and she ran sub a 3 not that long ago, plus there is cinnamongirl who is also approaching 50!  And there are a few other fast folk in their 40’s....in fact JMac is probably the youngest on here...and he’s approaching middle age. 😜

Me - I’m going to start building up mileage again and have registered for https://www.richmondrunfest.co.uk/events/richmond-marathon/  which looks like a cool marathon in March. My London entry for October has been confirmed which I’m also looking forward to!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey middle-aged has moved now, it starts at 50 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Thanks Mikkey. I'm feeling pretty good now; I was sore for a few days and took most of last week off but started running again on the weekend and am getting back at it. I like that Richmond course...London's flattest marathon course sounds good to me! I am registered for Athens on April 18 and also the Cheap marathon on April 11. The latter looks really good in terms of elevation profile, see below. It's in Salisbury MA and mostly along the water.

Cheap

I'm going to run easy for a bit longer and then see what I can do towards breaking 11:00 for 2 miles.

Piwi: Any ambitions for a marathon or are you sticking to 5k and 10k? It would be great to have you back here.

2:52:16 (2018)

JT no sorry at this stage. I have " raced " more this year than the last 5 years with 3 x 5ks, and an 11k and a 10k so that is a positive for me 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

JT no sorry at this stage. I have " raced " more this year than the last 5 years with 3 x 5ks, and an 11k and a 10k so that is a positive for me 

Heh, that makes two of us.

After spending the last 6 post-marathon weeks being varying levels of sore, sick, and miserable, I've reached the conclusion that there's no way I'm running another marathon in the foreseeable future.  I'd decided before the race that I wouldn't even consider another one until after the Covid uncertainty lifts, it's too much investment when there is a risk that the race doesn't go ahead, but I haven't enjoyed running a lot of the time over the last 7 weeks and frankly running is too important to me for that!

I guess we all have distances we naturally enjoy and are better suited to, for me that's clearly 5km-HM distance.  Next big goal for me (fingers crossed) is Southern Lakes HM on May 1.  Mostly it's a race I've always wanted to run in one of my favourite places in the world, but it's also a ludicrously fast course (net downhill 200m - and that's a steady decline the whole way).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Marky I think I enjoy the weekly marathon training and the "time to put in work" aspect of marathon training because I've continued to show improvement. this 5k stuff seems too easy, BUT I haven't broken 20 yet and the training has been based of my current PR so my PR could just be soft.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Marky I think I enjoy the weekly marathon training and the "time to put in work" aspect of marathon training because I've continued to show improvement. this 5k stuff seems too easy, BUT I haven't broken 20 yet and the training has been based of my current PR so my PR could just be soft.

You should be running sub 19 easily, and probably more like sub 18:45, with your marathon PR. So no wonder the training is easy!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

You should be running sub 19 easily, and probably more like sub 18:45, with your marathon PR. So no wonder the training is easy!

SHOULD be however I'm somehow NOT doing it and I don't think it has anything to do with elevation. I should probably consider going for a 10K time trail on Thanksgiving if I don't give at least a 5K time trial a shot (based on weather). 6:26/mi is somehow eluding me and it's not because I'm sandbagging on race day. Literally cut my 10k short because I didn't have 3.2 miles of that pace in me. Plus that PR shape is gone and I'm 10 pounds heavier.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You are doing it all the wrong way round. At your age you should wearing a hydration backpack and training for an ultra. 

JT - I like the look of that profile, although I see it’s a 6 loop course which makes it easier to DNF!

Marky - I don’t blame you for sticking to the half and under if that’s what you enjoy training for...plus you like racing and they’re quicker to recover from!

RP - I would go with a 5k TT and see what your current fitness is. Then train for a 10k using the correct training paces. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

You are doing it all the wrong way round. At your age you should wearing a hydration backpack and training for an ultra. 

JT - I like the look of that profile, although I see it’s a 6 loop course which makes it easier to DNF!

Marky - I don’t blame you for sticking to the half and under if that’s what you enjoy training for...plus you like racing and they’re quicker to recover from!

RP - I would go with a 5k TT and see what your current fitness is. Then train for a 10k using the correct training paces. 👍

Kind of what I’m thinking. The 5k is less recovery time and almost half as painful time wise as the 10k. If there was a turkey trot and I had someone to chase down, or any ide what goal I should go for it might be easier. A 5k seems like it’s just a sprint, slight slow down to maintain, and a hard finish.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Brewing - could part of it be that you set your marathon PR at a much lower altitude than what you currently live in (and do your time trials and local races in)?

(Folsom altitude - 220 feet; Sacramento altitude - 3 feet; Reno altitude - 4505 feet....)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR - Nice week.

My Pr race was in my 30's but my best Marathon (late 30's) was a 2:43 run in a full blown Noreaster, rain, snow, 30+ mile per hour winds.  Sub 2:40 on any other day, but what are you going to do

Mikey- Thank you!

Richmond looks like a good race.  Do you know anyone that has run it before?

JT- That elevation profile looks fast!

My Week:

M- 3 miles 23:22 (This was difficult!)

W- 40 minutes - Medium effort - trails

F- 40 minutes - Medium effort  - trails

S- 20 minutes - beach 20 minutes - First 10 minutes medium effort / last 10 minutes hard

It's good to know there are others here of the same age.  I hung up the shoes a few years ago for health reasons (strange internal bleeding caused somehow by all the running!) so I don't know if I am going to get through this, but it's worth a shot.