2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

interesting.

FYI, registration for the Fargo Marathon is now open.  They've pushed the date back to September 25 this year, which should mean there is a significantly less chance of it being humid than late August.  Fall running in this area can be perfect marathon weather...sometimes...

September. 25? It has a chance of occurring and would be just in time for a 2022 Boston qualifying slot.

edit: I got in just under 40. Kind of lost track of the days and skipped two thinking I was only skipping one. Weather today canceled my second 10 miler which would have out me at around 45. 10x400m is apparently about developing fast running form and not speed so much as speedy form. Live and learn. Might still target a spring time 5k to “officially” break 20 minutes in the 5k.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

Dwave:  I get (but don't get) the whole "running on a treadmill makes you weak" thing.  Those people don't usually run on a treadmill for 20+ miles, or do extended climbs at 9% incline.    Fluffy is a nice name for a treadmill, I think.  The first winter I trained on one, I didn't listen to anything or watch TV...just stared at the time or watched the mileage slowly creep up.  It's...umm...fun.

Regarding threads, given that I think I am the only one (who posts here) training for a marathon right now -- assuming you are swapping out of that in Louisiana -- I don't see this thread surviving.  I would probably recommend just not starting it in 2021, unless someone else comes along and wants to give it a new life.  At the same time, my goal isn't a half.  I mean, running a faster half is obviously part of my goal, but not specifically that.  And it appears as though most of the crew over there like things as they are.  And if a bunch of marathoners wind up invading the HM thread, those people can always branch off and start their own thread again.

RP:  Yeah, Fargo is conveniently placed to be a BQ after a summer of training.  I like that date much better than May, which means I wouldn't have to train for it over the winter...umm...kind of like I'm doing now, hahaha.

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://runsra.org/california-international-marathon/registration/

Spring registration for Fall marathon in California for those who didin't defer. With COVID 19 vaccine now being issued across California and the rest of the United States this has a HIGH probability of happening so I might just have to sign up again.

omr winter training is trash. I never liked it and it's a MAJOR perk of having CIM early in December. Fall training can be miserable unless it's 2020. After running a marathon in April I have ZERO motivation to train for another one. Oddly the one I've wanted to run for so long is in April and I should start getting BACK into marathon training shape now.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Also got my treadmill delivered on Thursday. I named it "Fluffy" because it amused me to do so.

Now to start the hard work of developing mental weakness via treadmill use. We're supposed to get a snowstorm here on Wednesday, and I am sure that our trails will not be cleared of ice and snow the way they have been in years past.

I genuinely don’t get the “mental weakness” of training on a treadmill. With all my best marathon times it’s been up to 40% training on the treadmill regardless of weather and some reasons....

A. I like the treadmills at my gym and it’s always a good vibe there.

B. I press what speed I want and do it....plus I never need to check the Garmin.

C. It is soo much easier to run higher mileage with the softer surface. (especially when you get old)

D. My goal races are mainly flat courses rather than downhill or rolling hill.

Anyway, I hope you are bonding well with Fluffy.....and what a lovely name. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

OMR

RP:  Yeah, I want to run CIM someday, but I would want to be sure it's going to happen before thinking about signing up.  I don't mind dropping $80 for a local race in May that gets cancelled, since it may help to support the future of a small event.  I may have to mention CIM to my wife, however, because we're due for an extended vacation (assuming things have opened back up by then).  After the 100K last February, and the ultra-marathon called COVID since we went to distance teaching in March, I'm ready for running a short race...like a marathon, hahaha.  Anyhow, I'm scheduled for some hard hills this afternoon, and the current windchill is -15°F.  So, I best get started on that...i don't have access to a treadmill named Fluffy!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I genuinely don’t get the “mental weakness” of training on a treadmill. With all my best marathon times it’s been up to 40% training on the treadmill regardless of weather and some reasons....

A. I like the treadmills at my gym and it’s always a good vibe there.

B. I press what speed I want and do it....plus I never need to check the Garmin.

C. It is soo much easier to run higher mileage with the softer surface. (especially when you get old)

D. My goal races are mainly flat courses rather than downhill or rolling hill.

Anyway, I hope you are bonding well with Fluffy.....and what a lovely name. 

So....about a year or two ago, the subject of treadmills came up.  And one poster essentially joined the thread with a proclamation that training on the treadmill made one mentally weak unless one did it without any sort of entertainment or distraction.  You had to run on the treadmill in silence if you wanted to maintain mental strength.

Personally, I don't agree at all.  I think that anyone who trains consistently in the way that we do on these training threads has all the toughness that they need.  I also think that some people tend to make too big a deal out of mental toughness.  (and those who do tend to be those who struggle mentally when running and racing).  If you just go out there and do your thing and don't make too big a deal about how hard it is, you're tough enough.  IMO, anyway.

And I like running on Fluffy to music.

Re: multiple threads or one thread - it seems there is no consensus, so I'll just sit back and let things play out.  Those who want two separate threads can start them, and I'll join both.

I am excited to see this thread getting this much action.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

So....about a year or two ago, the subject of treadmills came up.  And one poster essentially joined the thread with a proclamation that training on the treadmill made one mentally weak unless one did it without any sort of entertainment or distraction.  You had to run on the treadmill in silence if you wanted to maintain mental strength.

Personally, I don't agree at all.

I don't agree at all, either, but in the event that what I said in my previous post was misconstrued as me actually agreeing with that argument, I thought I should clarify that.  A lot of my really hard work has been on a treadmill.

Most importantly, I think it is clear that I am procrastinating until the windchill gets up to -10°F.    (And it's now -7!!  Heat wave!!!!!)

And it's now -7!!  

oooof.

Remember that guy MichaelMc from Up North somewhere (maybe the Yukon)?  He had to wrap his trainers in duct tape.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yep, I know who you’re talking about and I assumed that he was just having a laugh. The joys of not knowing if people are being serious or not on the internet. 🤔

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

I genuinely don’t get the “mental weakness” of training on a treadmill.

Personally I think it's mentally tougher on a treadmill and I admire runners that can crank a lot of mileage out on one.  It's just you and the machine.  Outside, there's all sorts of distractions to keep you mentally occupied.  Fresh air, scenery, changes in terrain, decisions about where to go, all that good stuff.  I haven't run on a treadmill in several years and I won't unless I have to.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Weatherboy: Belated congrats on the great HM and the win! Also saw you won a 5k over the weekend with a near PR, that's great! You've had a great year running-wise despite covid.

DW: Nice job on the half the other weekend. Good to see your fitness is coming around. Congrats on the new mill. I'll probably also be on the mill later this week due to that snowstorm.

OMR: Nice week. I'm doing some hill work as well to build strength; it's tough but a nice change of pace (literally).

Mikkey: Since Kram has departed you are the resident King of the Mill.

I remember the exchange on TV watching during mill-running; I was the person being told I was weak! But as Mikkey noted MC (was that his name? I follow him on strava but forget what he went by here...) was just joking around. And since he came up, I realized I haven't seen any runs from him for a while on strava. He has incredible potential given his short distance times, would be great if he got into marathon training again.

Regarding this thread/merging threads. I would propose to keep it separated for a lot of the reasons already listed. I just hope we get some of the regulars back here, and consistently: Weatherboy, Mikkey, JMac, Cinnamon, Kram, Andres, Jayluf, Cal, Swim, Nimmals. I would also love if people would consistently post their weeks. It builds the comradery and inspires and motivates, and helps to keep the discussion focused on running!

Here is my last week. HR is starting to get back to normal and on Sunday's run I finally felt some pop in my legs and did an unplanned uptempo 3 miles, admittedly significantly downhill, but it felt great to run fast. I'm still targeting a 2 mile in sub 11:00 but it's taken longer to recover from the marathon than I expected.

Distance   Pace   Gain
                        Tue   Morning Run   10.09   8:03   548
                        Wed   Afternoon Run w/ some pickups   10.27   7:30   548
                        Thu   Morning Run   6.28   8:21   390
                        Fri   Morning Run   10.19   8:09   561
                        Sat   Morning Run   8.22   8:03   476
                        Sun   Morning Run w/ 3 miles uptempo   14.03   7:20   860

Total distance: 59.07 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

OMR

oooof.

Remember that guy MichaelMc from Up North somewhere (maybe the Yukon)?  He had to wrap his trainers in duct tape.

Yeah, I remember that...old school foot protection.  I opted for some trail shoes with Goretex, which are working well so far.  I'm now kind of curious as to how cold I can take them.  But first, I have to figure out how to take care of that spot between the eyebrows, just above the bridge of my eyeglasses.  Not sure I want to duct tape my head.

need2tri

Yeah, I remember that...old school foot protection.  I opted for some trail shoes with Goretex, which are working well so far.  I'm now kind of curious as to how cold I can take them.  But first, I have to figure out how to take care of that spot between the eyebrows, just above the bridge of my eyeglasses.  Not sure I want to duct tape my head.

If you haven't already, try applying a generous amount of vaseline. I live nextdoor to you in MN and that is what gets me through our winters.

OMR

If you haven't already, try applying a generous amount of vaseline. I live nextdoor to you in MN and that is what gets me through our winters.

Thanks, I actually live in MN (the Moorhead side of the Red River of the North), and I do put vaseline on my face/exposed skin.  I just keep forgetting to put it on that one spot between my eyes!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Personally, I don't agree at all.  I think that anyone who trains consistently in the way that we do on these training threads has all the toughness that they need.  I also think that some people tend to make too big a deal out of mental toughness.  (and those who do tend to be those who struggle mentally when running and racing).  If you just go out there and do your thing and don't make too big a deal about how hard it is, you're tough enough.  IMO, anyway.

And I like running on Fluffy to music.

Re: multiple threads or one thread - it seems there is no consensus, so I'll just sit back and let things play out.  Those who want two separate threads can start them, and I'll join both.

I am excited to see this thread getting this much action.

Good thing no one trains outside with music.   Guess I missed that conversation.

I'd rather sit on the couch and run my virtural mouth than step foot on a treadmill. I had a free one. No problems with it and had enough speed for me to justify keeping it for speed workouts. I was on it for 15 minutes, stepped off and gave it away. I even put on a documentary TYPE ("reality") show I enjoy relaxing to and couldn't make it past 5 minutes without checking the time.

omr        See the source image

VDOT 53.37