2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

OMR

JTReeves:  I agree with consistently posting weeks.  Unfortunately for me, because of health stuff over the last 4 months, consistency of any kind has been difficult, and to be honest, I didn't want all of that (some PTSD/anxiety sh**) to bleed into this forum.  So, I just backed off for a while, until things settled down.  Hills are the bane of my running existence...I guess that's why I need to do them.

RP:  Hmm, I know they make goggles that fit over eyeglasses (contacts don't work for me), but I can't imagine running around town with those things on, hahaha.  Vaseline actually does work pretty well when it gets applied to the right spots, but if we get a really cold spell, who knows.  So far, it's been a very mild start to winter for us.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I mean....if it works it works right? I think they'd work if you didn't have very large glasses. Seems to be the viewing area in goggles is getting larger and larger with each decade that passes. I remember them being so narrow you could see straight in front of you with little to no peripheral vision.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR: I totally understand backing off posting while you dealt with the situation; I would have done the same thing myself. I'm just glad you're back at it and healthy. I had an incident I did not mention on the forum, though this happened a long time ago when I was just starting on the old RW thread. It was during the summer, very hot and humid, and back then I always ran after work (still can't believe I did that), in what was the hottest part of the day. I had done 8 miles and obviously not hydrated enough afterwards, and that night I passed out in the bathroom while peeing and hit my head on the sink. Serious concussion with bleeding on the brain, in the hospital for a few days, probably lost 20-30 IQ points . I learned my lesson about hydration, and that was the point I switched to morning running. Anyway, I just didn't feel comfortable posting about it back then so I can kind of see how you felt.

This year was kind of a write-off with covid and so many races being cancelled. Hopefully folks will get back into training and posting next year when races start to open up again.

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JT I can't even imagine an organized 5k for runners (not a charity 5k run/walk for schools) going on until MAYBE April. Disappointing since my 5k PR was set at a time trial and I'd LOVE to run my "normal" 5k PR race and win another pint glass.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

RP:  Yeah, definitely something to maybe consider.  Just not sure if I want to drop that much money.

JT:  Wow, that is crazy!  I can't imagine.  As for me, I'm physically healthy, but still dealing with some of the anxiety.  It's just not nearly as severe as it was even a few weeks ago.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

This year was kind of a write-off with covid and so many races being cancelled. Hopefully folks will get back into training and posting next year when races start to open up again.

I’m entered for 4 marathons next year...partly due to 2020 cancellations!  I was really looking forward to running Boston and meeting you and others (and of course reducing Cal to tears)...maybe 2022?  My main goal race will be London in October.

PS - A question for y’all. What is your favourite Christmas song?  My wife recently bought a compilation Xmas album and I would say that Fairytale of New York is top and The Darkness ‘It’s Christmas’ (Don’t let the Bells end) is a close second.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I’m entered for 4 marathons next year...partly due to 2020 cancellations!  I was really looking forward to running Boston and meeting you and others (and of course reducing Cal to tears)...maybe 2022?  My main goal race will be London in October.

PS - A question for y’all. What is your favourite Christmas song?  My wife recently bought a compilation Xmas album and I would say that Fairytale of New York is top and The Darkness ‘It’s Christmas’ (Don’t let the Bells end) is a close second.

Good to hear you're signed up for all those races! London in October should be great. I'm signed up for the 2 I mentioned earlier in April, and will probably target Hartford in October. Should be a good year!

For Christmas songs you can't beat Porky Pig's take on Elvis's Blue Christmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg7HvF3a_Iw

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Good to hear you're signed up for all those races! London in October should be great. I'm signed up for the 2 I mentioned earlier in April, and will probably target Hartford in October. Should be a good year!

For Christmas songs you can't beat Porky Pig's take on Elvis's Blue Christmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg7HvF3a_Iw

There are people that actually like Christmas music?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

You should take down cal on his home course. CIM. It is the new Boston and they offered a deferred entry for 2020 when you registered. I'm kind of leaning towards running it for 2021 just to get some kind of normalcy in my life. That is, of course, if Boston 2021 doesn't happen or I need a qualifier due to BAA not accepting 2019 times due to COVID 19.

I proposed to my wife with this "Christmas" song. Apparently it's a popular one. So popular I even know some of the words.

darkwave my wife would have Christmas music playing in July if she could find it. She very much enjoys Christmas and I think part of the reason is Christmas was kind of a big deal to her mother's side of the family.  Having worked retail where Christmas music was played all season I just learned to enjoy it. People asked how I didn't go crazy listening to it and I'd say "well I can either let it bother me literally every second of the day, or I can sing it however I want to and enjoy it." It wasn't the "traditional" slow very religious version sof Christmas songs. I think THOSE are the ones people think of when they say they hate Christmas music. Also, Mariah Carey's "all I want for Christmas is you."

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I proposed to my wife with this "Christmas" song. Apparently it's a popular one. So popular I even know some of the words.

That is a great song and is also on my wife’s Xmas album. It is currently No.1 in the UK singles chart!

JT - Excellent song choice as well and I’ve added it to my ipod shuffle playlist. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

In contrast - we have one holiday decoration - it's an animated gag gift thing - the rear end and legs of Santa sticking out of a chimney.  When I push a button, the legs start kicking and Santa yells "let me out of here."

Every year I place it on our window sill until December 26.    And every year my sig other yells at me because he hates holiday decorations more than I do.

That is the extent of our Christmas spirit.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

In contrast - we have one holiday decoration - it's an animated gag gift thing - the rear end and legs of Santa sticking out of a chimney.  When I push a button, the legs start kicking and Santa yells "let me out of here."

Every year I place it on our window sill until December 26.    And every year my sig other yells at me because he hates holiday decorations more than I do.

That is the extent of our Christmas spirit.

I can’t imagine why you are surprised to find out people enjoy Christmas. 

I own one of these. I’ve considered buying a matching one for my wife and/or son because it bothers people who don’t enjoy the holidays, in my opinion, when I’m acting “obnoxious” in public. 

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

This is what I imagine Christmas music would sound like in Dwave's home. 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

This is what I imagine Christmas music would sound like in Dwave's home. 

Pretty much.

Actually, the knife commercial I had to watch before getting to the video would work also.

darkwave

Mother of Cats