2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

This is pretty much my kind of Christmas decoration

Beard AND hat. Looks like you’re getting deep into this ‘Christmas Spirit’ thing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think, for intimidation purposes, we as a forum need to use this as her walk up music to her next race and we walk in with her like a ‘hype crew’ for UFC/Boxing matches. She would need one of those big baggy warm up robes. I see red with a white border working well. That is if the band is unavailable to do it themselves.

This is what I imagine Christmas music would sound like in Dwave's home. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

RP: I'm terribly curious about the quote in your signature line now; to whom is that attributed? Can you give a bit of background?

We had a big snowstorm Wednesday night; over a foot of snow. As a result Thursday and Friday I was on the treadmill. Today's run felt pretty good. I kept the effort what I would call honest for the first half and then at tempo pace for the second half, with a push on the last very downhill mile. I'd like to start with some speedwork on the track soon but I suspect they are all covered in snow at the moment.

Distance   Pace   Gain
        Tue   Morning Run   8.08   8:22   436
        Wed   Morning Run   10.04   8:08   548
        Thu   5 x 1 mile progressive w/ 2 min recovery   11.04   7:25   0
        Fri   Morning Run   6.02   8:37   0
        Sat   Morning Run   10.07   8:27   545
        Sun   Morning Run   14.36   6:51   1148

Total distance: 59.60 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Running Problem - Love the concept.  If only we could all meet in person to pull it off.

JTReeves - your big snowstorm just barely grazed us - we got an inch and a lot of black ice (some lingering through this morning).  Nice job on the long run.  We're lucky in that our high schools are using our tracks, so we know they'll be cleared.  (We are less lucky in that they locked the bathrooms for the winter).

My week:

48 miles, 1000 yards swimming, and 2:30 hours of pool-running
          M: Upperbody weights/core and 50 minutes pool-running in morning;.
          T: 12 miles on Fluffy the treadmill, including 6x.5 mile with 2:30 jogging recoveries in 3:05, 3:08, 3:03, 3:02, 3:02, 3:01. Also leg strengthwork, streaming yoga, and 500 yards recovery swimming.
          W: 8 miles very easy (9:17), drills, two hill sprints, and streaming yoga.
          Th: Upper body weights/core and 50 minutes pool-running.
          F: 4 mile shakeout on Fluffy the treadmill (9:22)
          Sa: 12 miles, including a 10K race in 41:01. Later 500 yards recovery swimming.
          Su: 12 miles very easy (9:04), drills, streaming yoga. Later did 50 minutes of pool-running.

Jumped into a 10K on Saturday. Didn't have a great race due to some asthma issues - cold dry air is one of my triggers. Splits were: 6:30/6:26/6:18/6:38(first walk break to use inhaler)/6:45 (second walk break to use inhaler)/6:26/1:58 for last .31 (according to watch - was autolapping for splits).

So that sucked. At least it was during a race that wasn't terribly important to me.

Race report is here.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

RPHa, yes, definitely would work for Dwave's entrance.  I'll have to start practicing my throat singing...

JT:  Solid week, hopefully your snow melts so you can get back on the track.  We've been pretty lucky up until this evening, when were blessed with some freezing rain and then a little snow on top of it.  Hopefully the next few days will be warm enough to melt it before some really cold weather arrives later this week.

Dwave:  Bummer on the cold weather asthma, but good for you for toughing it out.

Christmas tunes:  Not sure I have any favorites.

My week...second week of the hill plan:

S:  5.2M @ 8:47 trail run

M:  6.5M @ 8:30 w/8 x 10-15 seconds steep hills hard

T:  7.7M @ 8:27

W:  7.9M @ 8:33 w/10 x 60-75 seconds moderate hills @ 5K-ish effort

T:  5.2M @ 8:39

F:  8M @ 8:50 trail run

S:  12M @ 8:31

Total:  52.5M

Running Problem

Problem Child

DW We'll always have 2016. I've become proficient in my wheezy "back in MY DAY..." I'm still hoping for a really cool Bostwana meet up for 2021 like I read about years ago.

45 miles this week. Didn't want to run on Saturday morning because it was cold and 20 degrees warmer was t shirt and shorts. Well when "t shirts and shorts" weather came around I didn't want to run and just wanted to be lazy. Told myself "you run at this time every OTHER day of the week" and stopped making excuses. Shorter than the 10 I wanted to get in the morning, but better than nothing and helped me get over 40 for the week. 10 mile long run on Sunday was a good mental run. I've been "rewarding" myself with a Theragun session AFTER a run. Not sure how I ran so well without one of these for so long. Also, I think Theragun found out their Elite weapon sells best at $299.  I haven't used the CBD lotion they included yet.

EDIT: dw at least you didn't have GI issues. hope you're enjoying the treadmill.

VDOT 53.37 

DW: All things considered that's still a respectable 10k, and these days with races being so rare it's great you just got to run one. Better things lie ahead for the next race.

OMR: Nice week. I'm thinking of something like your 10 x 60-75 sec hills workout for this week, unless I find out the track is cleared. I'll do a drive-by on my way in to work tomorrow to see. Hope you don't have icy roads; those are the worst.

RP: Any chance you'll give us the backstory on your new sig line?

Running Problem

Problem Child

DW: All things considered that's still a respectable 10k, and these days with races being so rare it's great you just got to run one. Better things lie ahead for the next race.

OMR: Nice week. I'm thinking of something like your 10 x 60-75 sec hills workout for this week, unless I find out the track is cleared. I'll do a drive-by on my way in to work tomorrow to see. Hope you don't have icy roads; those are the worst.

RP: Any chance you'll give us the backstory on your new sig line?

Covid 19 thread. One rlopez said it in reference to the way I talked about covid 19 so I quit the thread because he never made me feel like anything other than an idiot no one wanted to talk to. I’m wondering if they’re all jazzed about the vaccine being out and saving us even though the antibodies aren’t long term protecting from covid.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Covid 19 thread. One rlopez said it in reference to the way I talked about covid 19 so I quit the thread because he never made me feel like anything other than an idiot no one wanted to talk to. I’m wondering if they’re all jazzed about the vaccine being out and saving us even though the antibodies aren’t long term protecting from covid.

Good idea to quit the trainwreck thread. And who gives a fuck what that guy said about you? Change your sig line to something more positive and move on. 👍

We can’t mention the word that starts with C and ends with 19 on this thread, but in the UK most of us are moving into full lockdown again next week as there’s now a more contagious variant of the virus which means the gyms are shutting again. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

We can’t mention the word that starts with C and ends with 19 on this thread, but in the UK most of us are moving into full lockdown again next week as there’s now a more contagious variant of the virus which means the gyms are shutting again. 

So I got shot #1 (Pfizer) last week, and will get #2 on Jan 4.   After that, I'll be able to lick subway poles without worry.

Happy holidays to all y'all!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So I got shot #1 (Pfizer) last week, and will get #2 on Jan 4.   After that, I'll be able to lick subway poles without worry.

That’s cool as you’re a doctor!  I filled in a survey last week giving my age/circumstances/any underlying health problems and my likely vaccination will be middle of June! (which is fine with me)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Happy holidays!

Please keep us updated as to whether you grow a 3rd eye.  Or drop 30 seconds off of your mile time.  (Frankly I'd take the first if it came with the second).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Good idea to quit the trainwreck thread. And who gives a fuck what that guy said about you? Change your sig line to something more positive and move on. 👍

I do. It is unfortunately a problem I have continued to have. Hopefully COVID 19 gets worse and the vaccines don't work so I can keep postponing my Boston Marathon and working from home. I heard the UK enters lockdown on something called Boxing Day in which the poor people are given gifts by the rich. Sounds like the gift of life this year.

rovatti I hope you are NOT one of the 0.1% of people who have a bad reaction to it. I read a meme that said it gives you some frozen face syndrome.

VDOT 53.37 

RP: Good advice from Mikkey to change your sig line to something more positive. Try to focus on a running goal, wear a mask and be safe, but don't let covid consume your existence!

I just watched the Marathon Project race (recorded it on Sunday), and give Des Linden an A+ rating as a commentator! She's a natural at it; well-informed and very smooth.

A drive-by of the local track showed it was covered in snow so no track session this week. Opted for some short hill repeats instead.

Merry Christmas everyone!

BTW: Noah Droddy: what a puke at the finish! He really was pushing it to the limit. Very impressive.

OMR

rovatti:  I think the real question is if you will be able to lick frozen poles without your tongue getting stuck to them!  +1 to hoping you don't have any side effects.

Mikkey:  I'm trying to think of another word that begins with "C" and ends with "19," just to make a bad joke, but I can't think of any.  So...this was pointless...

JT:  Our icy roads melted, but then yesterday we had blizzard conditions, and today the wind chill was in the -20s.  For gear, I'm good down to about 0°F without a wind.  Decided to take a couple of rest days, and hope to make up some of the mileage tomorrow, as it's going to get back into the 20s (the positive ones).  Bummer that the track is covered in snow, but good for you on getting those hill repeats in.

Dwave:  What else would you accept in exchange for dropping 30 seconds off your mile?  I know a guy who knows a guy...  Speaking of treadmills (how about that for a segue?), can I borrow Fluffy for a while?
                                RP:  2021 will be better, so I agree that it is time to start focusing on the positive things.  Such as, "I am positive Covid is going to get worse."  Wait, no, that's not what I meant.  I meant "I am positive global warming is going to..."  NNNOOOO, not that either!  We watched a NOVA episode last night about the NASA New Horizons team capturing images of Pluto and one of the members of the Kuiper belt.  It was cool to watch people cry happy tears because a pixel disappeared on a photo, meaning that their mission to capture the shape of a distant object was successful.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to everyone...