2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Andres - Way to get the sub-3 done. RR incoming?

Swim - Someone else who runs with a power meter! Did you just set out to run that 10k as fast as possible to see what your FTPr is? What platform(s) do you use to track running power?

Ace - Good that your mileage is increasing without bothering the calf.

DWave - Good job in Houston, certainly given the wind. Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Pretty good week with two solid workouts. Two days on the treadmill (Thursday workout & Friday easy). Hopefully I can avoid that contraption this week.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Andres - That sounded like a rough race and you did well to hang in there for Sub 3 -  I’ve had similar 10min positive splits and know how crappy it can get!  I’m very surprised at the fade because on paper it looked to be your best marathon cycle. You’ve always had good speed so maybe you focused too much on quality and not enough “time on feet” easy longer runs? Who knows. Anyway, if you’re going to Barcelona then I’d register for that and give it another go in March and make some tweaks in your training. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Swim5599

Andres - Way to get the sub-3 done. RR incoming?

Swim - Someone else who runs with a power meter! Did you just set out to run that 10k as fast as possible to see what your FTPr is? What platform(s) do you use to track running power?

Ace - Good that your mileage is increasing without bothering the calf.

DWave - Good job in Houston, certainly given the wind. Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Pretty good week with two solid workouts. Two days on the treadmill (Thursday workout & Friday easy). Hopefully I can avoid that contraption this week.

I work with Steve Palladino.  We use the 10k as my test now because it’s the best way for me to test and it’s basically a race effort every 6 weeks or so.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Fishyone

Quality work by all on the board!! 

Solid week for me.  Going slow to try to avoid injury as I ramp up.

Mon 7.5 recovery 1:11

Tue 7.5 with 4Tempo @ 7:15 1:01

Wed 13 1:53

Th    9 w 10x 100M  1:17

Fr     7.5 1:09

SA    7.5  1:05

SU     21 3:12

Total  73 mi  2 quality

Would like to get some quality into the long/midweek long but legs are having nothing to do with that for now.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Andres and DW: Great racing this weekend in what sounds like windy conditions!

Swim: That 10k time at 7000 ft is worth 34 flat at sea level, which is equivalent to a 2:37 marathon!  You've still got a lot of potential time to cut which is exciting.

Keen: Another solid week. Are your TM runs to avoid nasty weather? This time of year I end up using it a fair bit since I don't like running hard workouts in the dark/with a headlamp, and also don't like running on snowy/icy roads in the dark. For tomorrow's hard workout I'll definitely be on the mill as the dirt road I run on is a mess; ice/snow/mud.

My week: One hard workout of 4 x 8 min at about 6:25 pace. That felt like T effort so I've got a ways to go to get back to previous fitness. Sunday I planned to do 16 miles but felt dead so cut it short. Maybe going from 0 mi/week to 50-60 the past few weeks is catching up to me.

M: strength routine

T:  10.1 @ 8:40

W: 10.5 w/ 4x8 min @ 6:26 down to 6:20

T: 10 @ 8:37 + strength routine

F: AM 5 @ 8:37 TM, PM 5 @ 8:34 TM

S: 8.3 trails @ 9:37

S: 12 @ 8:35

total: 61 miles

2:52:16 (2018)

Katia77

Hey all!! This is my like, 20th attempt at keeping up with a threat but training actually seems on track.  By "on track" I mean.. the AT issue I had in November/December FINALLY seems to have resolved. Mostly from being forced to take time off due to the 2 stomach viruses my kids gave me followed by the ACTUAL flu at the start of this year. In case anyone's wondering, my diet plan at this point seems to be having young kids.. 

In any event.. introducing myself later in the thread but, I'm Katie (yes real name Katia). Last marathon I ran was Boston 2018, so it's been a minute. I have a 10 month old and 3.5 year old and have had a harder time getting back into racing after kid no.2, mostly due to job demands and all. I switched jobs in July after i got fired on maternity leave.. (really). to make it even better, I'm an attorney and was practicing plaintiff's work. I've since switched and do civil defense work, which I really enjoy and it's a flexible but busy schedule. Last week I finally ran 25 miles and 11 at once, and my body seems to be cooperating. I'm building slowly because my body seems to revolt if I don't. Thinking of maybe doing the Salt Lake City marathon or half, and trying to fit in a March half or something. I'm trying to get up to 40-50 miles a week and I'll see how that goes. My body came into running pretty beat up from 20 years of gymnastics, including 5 years of elite gymnastics and 4 years of D1 NCAA.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Katia glad you’re back and feeling better. Crazy how much life can change in just 12 months. Hope this year goes better for you.  Mine just turned two and I sometimes think “imagine if he had the genetics of a division one athlete’ and scare the POOP out of myself.

48.8 miles this week. All easy. 12 and 10 on the weekend because I know the JD rule is 23% of weekly mileage. I was initially going for two hours, and the weather along with my stupidity of thinking 47F was  shirt and shorts weather ended it. If only I had some way to keep my arms warm and shed layers if the weather ends up being too hot. Something lightweight, cheap, and reusable for keeping my arms warm.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Katia77

Katia glad you’re back and feeling better. Crazy how much life can change in just 12 months. Hope this year goes better for you.  Mine just turned two and I sometimes think “imagine if he had the genetics of a division one athlete’ and scare the POOP out of myself.

48.8 miles this week. All easy. 12 and 10 on the weekend because I know the JD rule is 23% of weekly mileage. I was initially going for two hours, and the weather along with my stupidity of thinking 47F was  shirt and shorts weather ended it. If only I had some way to keep my arms warm and shed layers if the weather ends up being too hot. Something lightweight, cheap, and reusable for keeping my arms warm.

Lol yeah -- my daughter is getting ready to walk and she'll be 10 months old tomorrow. Which is later than my son, who started walking at 8 months. It's kinda chaos right now but if they'd just stop getting me sick I could run!

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

onemile

Oops wrong thread

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Oops wrong thread

You just ran a marathon this is the right thread. Congrats on the 7 min PR.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Darkwave Congrats on Houson.

Andres congrats on the sub 3.

Some people PR'd some didn't. I always say never  let a race define you. While we love to see our hard work pay off, marathons are hard and can be fickle mistresses. I say you can always recover and race shorter races to realize the fitness from a cycle. Great job to all who raced.

WEEKLY RUN STATS  1/13/2020 – 1/19/2020: 61.2 mi 10:02:03
                        Date ▼ Activity Course Type Distance Duration Pace Actions
                        1/19/2020 Run   Easy Long run Easy 18.0 mi 2:42:15 9:01
                        1/18/2020 Run  Cool Down Cool Down 1.1 mi 1:00:11 57:19
                        1/18/2020 Run  Run to the Brewery 10 Miler Race 10.1 mi 55:59 5:36
                        1/18/2020 Run  Warm Up Easy 1.6 mi 22:09 13:46
                        1/16/2020 Run  Mona Fartlek Fartlek 6.9 mi 1:08:55 9:56
                        1/16/2020 Run  OSR1 Street Mile Race  1.0 mi 4:31  4:30
                        1/16/2020 Run  Warm Up Cool Down Easy 4.3 mi 50:26 11:44
                        1/15/2020 Run Warm up run  Easy 2.6 mi 26:40 10:23
                        1/15/2020 Run

6 Miles easy on bike path

Easy 6.3 mi 1:02:39 9:59
                        1/14/2020 Run

Peacock Power Pecking 8x 1K Repeats

Interval 10.4 mi 1:31:49 8:52

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

CalBears

Andres - "never let a race define you" - what kind of BS is that? Who even remotely implied that? Let's talk normal human language without inspirational s##t. Anyway, I feel bad, that's a real not "you did a great job stuff" - I was 100% sure you will be around 2:50 mark - hope you understand what I mean - not an attack - just sadness. Though I agree to some degree that running sub 3 still should soothe the pain.

CommanderKeen - great mileage and pretty fast paces.

fishyone - can you report the paces please, not the overall time of the run? It's even worse than reporting in kilometers.

JTR - glad to see another week of running without any problems.

Mikkey - what is the state of your "heel" fix?

My week was far from what expected. Last weeks's trail run revealed bunch of weak muscles - to a degree I could not run for the next 3 days. And when I ran easy and short on Wed and Thu, I still felt the discomfort/light pain in different areas. So, I decided to run that trail route again yesterday. It felt just a tad easier but still hard. Do not run today, legs feel better but will see how they feel tomorrow as with trail runs the worst usually comes on a second day. Want to run trails at least once a week until nothing hurts after:

Mon - off

Tue - off

Wed - 5 @ 9:02

Thu - 6 @ 9:06

Fri -off

Sat - 11.2 @ 8:34

Sun - 20.1 @ 10:46 (4,177ft ascent)

Total: 42.4 miles

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Katia - great to have you back!

Andres - was great to meet you yesterday.  Funny thing about Houston yesterday - even though all the media was about all the fantastic races and fast times, I don't know anyone personally who was really happy with their race yesterday.  (I was moderately satisfied if not thrilled with mine, and felt like I was beating the curve by not being disappointed).  Odd.  Marathons are cruel.

I'll quickly drop off my week and race report, and hope to play catch up at some point.

My week:

44 miles, 12 "miles" of pool-running, and 500 yards of swimming
                            M: upper body weights, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" pool-running.
                            T: 11 miles, including track workout of 1600, 3x800 in 6:12, and then 3:01, 2:59, 2:58. Recovery of 4:50 after the 1600, 2:41 and 2:31 between the 800s. Followed with leg injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming..
                            W: DIY yoga and 7 miles very easy (9:22) plus drills/strides.
                            Th: Light upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" pool-running.
                            F: 7 miles, including 1600 up-tempo (6:22).
                            Sa: 2 miles very easy (9:30) and DIY yoga..
                            Su: 3.5 mile warm-up, Houston Half-Marathon in 1:25:33, and ~.5 mile jog back to hotel.

Race report for Houston is here.  And no - a 3.5 mile warm-up was NOT intentional - I planned to warm-up for 2 miles or a bit more, but had difficulty finding my corral.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Andres1045

Big week there, ComanderKeen. That's got to feel good for your buildup. I'll try to put together a race report, but I may focus more on my training leading up to it. Try to see where I was thrown so far off. I imagine that would be more useful than my "first half felt good; second half sucked" type of report.

Mikkey - It hasn't really crossed my mind that slower long runs would have benefited me more yesterday. The interesting thing was that I really didn't have an issue, or much of an issue as I've had in many other races, with getting through the miles. My legs never gave out totally. It was just my body was not going to let me run the pace I wanted to run. It totally revolted. I'm going to put some thought in to what I could have done differently later this week, though. My first thought was that I didn't run enough quality. I'll try to explain that better once I've thought it through. I'd love to run Barcelona again. Problem is that we arrive that afternoon. I did commit to running either the half or the full in Madrid (same weekend as London). I'm planning to run NYC again this year, so assuming I get in, I'll probably just do the half in Madrid and try to carry this fitness through and focus some more on speed (like Slammin says).

JT - No reason to rush things. It'll come back soon enough.

WTF, Katia, fired on maternity leave??? That sucks. Welcome.

Cal, no, I don't not feel attacked in anyway. Honestly, it's kind of nice to have someone understand my own frustration. It was really difficult trying to explain to people in my life that don't know all that much about running, or that are quite a bit slower, why I was upset with what sounded like a good time. And yeah, the sub 3 soothed the pain somewhat, but I kid you not that a big part of what kept me going in the second half yesterday was thinking "I need a safe BQ so that I can have a ticket to the Mikkey/Cal show in 2021!"

DW - Yeah, I'd be happy with where you're at this far out from your race. Good things to come!

Upcoming races: Boston

Fishyone

CAL. I see your point. I'll try to figure out the copy/paste feature although at this point my paces are nothing to brag about.  I'm in no danger of running my GA miles too fast......

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015)