2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Marky - There’s a guy that I’m following on Strava (from my old running club) and runs everything at ridiculously fast pace...and he came 3rd at the Brighton marathon last year with a 2:18 at the age of 43. 😁

Wow.  There is a local guy near Piwi, Michael Voss, who almost never logs a run at slower than 4:00/km, and has a 1:05 half and 2:22 marathon, but he is in his early 20's and hasn't had to deal with age yet.  Smashing out those sort of paces at age 43 is very impressive.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

muffins2marathon

The Muffin Man

Hey everyone.  My name is Jim and I am happy to be here.  I am 45 years old, going to be 46 in March.  I am a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer (1993 - 2013) and I currently live just outside of Fargo, ND.

A bit about myself.  I started running in 2008.  Just wanted to get in better shape.  I obviously ran in the military but that was about it.  I never ran for "fun".  Well that all changed after I ran my first 5K in the summer of 2008.  I got bit my the running bug.  Anyways, to make a long story short...I have ran 1 Ultra Marathon, 24 Marathons, 22 Half Marathons, too many 10K's to count anymore and I do 5K's only for speed work (I actually really hate the distance).  Now for the part that I hate to admit....

I quite running in 2015 for the most part.  I would straggle together a couple hundred miles per year but nothing special.  I stopped racing in 2012.  My last race was Grandma's Marathon in Duluth MN.  Got divorced, got married again (to the love of my life) and then....well here lies the worst part.

After retirement, I guess I became depressed and all the crap that goes with it.  And guess what I turned to...nope not running, I turned to booze.  Lots of it.  Drank like a fish.  Made me feel good for a while, but then when I wanted to stop, I couldn't.

Sooo, my name is Jim and I am once again a runner and an alcoholic.  I have been sober now for 73 days.  Best 73 days I have had in years.  When I decided to quite 73 days ago, I was 205.6 pounds, in the hospital with acute pacreatitis, elevated cholesteral (sp), and really struggling.  I quite cold turkey, went through all the things that go with quiting and alcohol addiction and now here I am.

Started running again on Nov 18, 2019 and I haven't missed a day yet.  I know, I know, rest days.  Got it.  But I told myself that every time I craved a drink I was going to run, run/walk or just walk.  So in December I ran 207 miles lol.  I really wanted to drink.

I am happy with where I am at now, long road still to go, but I am running and training and my overall health is getting back to where it once was.  I am signed up for the Fargo Marathon in May (I have run this one 4 other times so I wanted to start back with a race I am comfortable with).  I look forward to the journey and hopefully getting to know many of you.

Happy Running

Jim

Thanks for starting the thread Brew. Great to see a lot of new runners here. I'm also excited to see Marky...I've been hoping you'd give the marathon another go.  Good to see Kram back as well after his hiatus. Muffins (Jim): Congrats on the 73 days; please stick around, you'll find a lot of support here.  Wolvmar: I grew up in SE Michigan (Richmond); get back there a few times a year to visit family. I might run Detroit this fall.

Name is Jon, 44 years old, married, 1 child (15 yr old son, also a runner ), 2 dogs & 4 cats. Living in western CT. I ran in HS and college (D3 school) and was very slow but I've always loved to run and have been a fan of the sport. In college I often got more excited about my teammates' PRs than they did. My running dropped off while I was in grad school and then marriage and fatherhood but I got back at it in 2013 and ran my first marathon in 2014. I love the distance and the training that goes with it.

I'm getting over the most serious injury I've ever had, a strained inguinal tendon, which has set me back the last 2.5 months. I think/hope I am out of the woods with that. Goal for this year is sub 2:50. Not sure if a spring race is possible, I'll have to play it by ear. This fall I'll probably either run Hartford or Detroit; still undecided.

2:52:16 (2018)

OMR

muffins:  Hello from across the pond/river (I'm curious to see how bad flooding will be this spring, given all of the snow we have this early).  Since you're recently back to running, and were quite possibly not living in this area while in the Navy, thought I would share info about a few groups you might be interested in checking out (if you weren't already aware).  One is the local running club, the Lake Agassiz Pacers.  They hold a local race series, with prizes at the end of the year, and all results are age graded.  It's only as competitive as you want it to be, and membership is cheap.  Also, both Beyond Running and the Fargo Running Company have weekly group runs, and FRC also hosts 5Ks in the warmer six months...very low stress, $5 entries, no bling, drawings for prizes at the end...but mostly just a chance to go out and run to raise a few bucks for local charities.

From the Internet.

So...if you ever want to check something specific, you can go to Global DRO and look it up.

As for asthma/allergy meds and USADA rules, I'll break it down by type of medication:

• antihistamines (Claritin, Benadryl, Allegra, etc)  - legal
            • leukotriene inhibitors (Singulair) - legal
            • Xolair (biologic used for bad cases) - legal
            • immunotherapy allergy shots - legal

and then we get into the tricky stuff:

• pseudoephedrine (Sudafed, Claritin-D, Allegra-D) - allowed out of competition; banned in competition.  They do have a threshold testing level for it, and only count as a positive if you exceed that threshold.
              • corticosteroids - you can divide these into local or systemic.  Local corticosteroids are those that are inhaled (some asthma inhalers, like Qvar), applied nasally (Flonase, Nasacort), rubbed on the body (cortisone cream), or injected into a joint (a cortisone shot).  Those are legal in and out of competition.    Corticosteroids with a systemic effect (those taken by mouth, taken rectally, or injected into a vein) are allowed out of competition, but banned in competition.
              • beta-2 agonists.  As a general rule, these are banned both in and out of competition, whether taken orally, injected, or inhaled.  There are three medications that are conditionally allowed (meaning allowed in limited amounts) if inhaled.  Those are albuterol, formoterol, salmeterol.  Albuterol is what is in those little rescue inhalers a lot of people have - you're allowed up to 8 puffs in 12 hours.  Formoterol is in the combination inhalers Symbicort and Dulera; Salmeterol is in the conbination inhaler Advair.  You're allowed up to 54 micrograms of Formoterol over 24 hours (I don't know what that means in terms of puffs).  For Advair (salmeterol), you're allowed up to 4 puffs in 24 hours.

So....practically speaking, you're fine with your antihistamines and your Singulair.  You have to be careful with decongestants, corticosteroids, and inhaled medications.  Once you get into the combination inhalers (which combine a beta-2 agonist and a corticosteroid) you have to go with Advair, Dulera, or Symbicort.  Breo is not allowed (and people do get in trouble for that one).  For rescue inhalers, you have to go with albuterol (Pro-Air and Ventolin inhalers);  Levalbuterol (Xopenex) is not allowed.

As for whom these rules apply to -- they apply to all of us, regardless of whether we are likely to be tested..  That being said, USADA does divide athletes into different groups - Registered Testing Pool, Clean Athlete Program, Non-National Athletes, Recreational Athletes.  Depending on which group you fall into, there are different policies for when a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) is needed.  Basically the lower your level, the more leeway you're given.  If you are in the RTP or CAP, you need to have a TUE any time you take something that's not allowed.  If you're Non-National or Recreational - you need to apply for a TUE for some stuff, but for others you just take them, and then apply for the TUE if you are tested. (there's a form you fill out on USADA to determine whether you need to apply for a TUE in advance).

All of us on this board (unless I'm missing something) are either Non-National Athletes or Recreational.  Essentially you are a Non-National athlete if you have placed high in your age group in a major race.  You are a Recreational athlete if you haven't.  If you qualify for the Olympic Trials or represent the US on a team, then you get bumped up to CAP or RTP.

Oh dang, TIL I take a banned-in-competition substance D: Better to find out now, I guess! I think it's highly unlikely that it would ever become a problem (I don't take it before racing) but should maybe do a bit of research on the TUE stuff.

Hey to everybody -

Me: 58yo. Running in earnest for 13y.  I've been struggling with recurrent injuries for ~3y, but still hoping to get it together...

I'll be paying attention to this thread and rooting.  If I can get on a roll, I'll start talking about my training and racing aspirations.

Happy New Year!

cinnamon girl

This is great! Everyone seems excited with hopes for a New Year of running  

Muffins - glad you're here -

Hey OMR!!

Weather - where ya at? I checked forecast and it looks good, no? A bit chilly at the start but I see sun so probably in mid-upper 40s for most of the race (?) with 10 mph ..

Brew - gotta get Weather on the chart - he's going to start the year off right for us! It looks like the group is going to keep you busy.

Mikkey - any results on the heel?

Brew - gotta get Weather on the chart - he's going to start the year off right for us! It looks like the group is going to keep you busy.

+1 for that. It will be a great first race for the year.

Good luck tomorrow Weather! Go for it! Sub 2:36 is well within your reach.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Haven't officially joined yet, but here to say best of luck to weather! I really hope he breaks my recent PR. Will give me something to chase after at Boston 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

I’m around and just finished my shakeout run before heading up to Jacksonville this morning.  I’m gonna be in for a drastic shock as I had a TDP of 146 with winds of 23 on my shakeout this morning.  Current forecast overall looks good with temps in the low 40s warming into the mid 40s so it’s time to go! Winds are still a bit of a concern on the way back as I’ve seen anywhere from 10+ with occasional higher gusts possible especially since the course parallels a large part of the St John river and we tend to get some stronger winds under full sun.  Hoping it is on the lower end of that range. Cold front does not come through until later this evening  so I’ll be freezing in the AM 🥶 🙂.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Swim5599

Nimmals -  aka Slammin from  RWOL. 47 year old male living and training on long island.  I run for a local running shop and I train a small contingent of the team.  I am known for inventing the Truth run.  I am also 1st and foremost a miler. In 2019 I ran a 4:14 mile on Long Island running faster than the 4:16 mark I set on same course back in 2008. I also won 5th Ave Mile  both in the 30-39 AG and this year 40--49. AG.

My background was in track and field,  I  ran D1  Track and XC in college. I was OK at everything but great at nothing. My specialty was 400m/800m, ran on all relay teams from 4x100m to the Distance Medley. Like I said I wasn't good but if you let me hang around with 200M to go....

I played football (soccer) field hockey and volleyball in high school and was also a member the Junior National teams for Track  (800M, 4x400M) and Olympic shooting (rifle).

I broke my foot several times and suffered through college so after feeling burnt out from college I quit running  ballooned up to 205 lbs and made my way back to running in 2007 after a 12 year lay off. I sought running as a way to get back into shape.

(I'm good with incoherent sentences and bad grammar in general, almost everything I say is lost on Cal's (actually most readers)

I identify myself as a Stotan, I train most mornings at 5AM before commuting daily to the city. I work in a Manhattan Law firm as an e-discovery analyst. I help attorneys and clients collect and manage large sophisticated e-discovery projects for litigation or investigative (SEC) purposes. I am a problem solver.

I also remote coach a small cadre of OTQ aspiration athletes and a few "Trainers and dreamers". People who want to push their training to fulfill lofty personal goals.

I run with and coach a severely Autistic Runner who has run 16:58 5k, 1:16:30 half, 2:48 marathon

I will be running London Marathon 2020 as part of the Abbot World AG championships.

Berlin 2020 (No goals depends on London results) and considering NYC as a ceremonial run to commemorate the 50th anniversary.  (Still undecided)

Hey Boyd.  If you don’t mind I had a question for you about your London entry.  I don’t want to take up space on the thread so I could send it to you via email if you want to provide me with a good email address.  Let me know

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - any results on the heel?

Yeah I saw my doctor yesterday (he’s actually called Dr Grim) and gave me the x ray result - ‘small posterior calcaneal spur with soft tissue swelling in this region’ and he’s referred me to a PT.

Cal - We aren’t the oldest dudes on this thread. 😁

Weatherboy - Best of luck and let’s what 4K miles in 2019 does to your marathon time. 👍

And great to see new people in the non specific goal time marathon thread. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I’m around and just finished my shakeout run before heading up to Jacksonville this morning.  I’m gonna be in for a drastic shock as I had a TDP of 146 with winds of 23 on my shakeout this morning.  Current forecast overall looks good with temps in the low 40s warming into the mid 40s so it’s time to go! Winds are still a bit of a concern on the way back as I’ve seen anywhere from 10+ with occasional higher gusts possible especially since the course parallels a large part of the St John river and we tend to get some stronger winds under full sun.  Hoping it is on the lower end of that range. Cold front does not come through until later this evening  so I’ll be freezing in the AM 🥶 🙂.

Good luck!!!!

Lauren - as an FYI, "In Competition" is defined as the period starting 12 hours before your race starts, up through when you finish.  That means that whatever you take, if it's legal out of competition but banned in, needs to be out of your system 12 hours before your race in order to comply with the rules.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Weather - good luck!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

muffins2marathon

The Muffin Man

muffins:  Hello from across the pond/river (I'm curious to see how bad flooding will be this spring, given all of the snow we have this early).  Since you're recently back to running, and were quite possibly not living in this area while in the Navy, thought I would share info about a few groups you might be interested in checking out (if you weren't already aware).  One is the local running club, the Lake Agassiz Pacers.  They hold a local race series, with prizes at the end of the year, and all results are age graded.  It's only as competitive as you want it to be, and membership is cheap.  Also, both Beyond Running and the Fargo Running Company have weekly group runs, and FRC also hosts 5Ks in the warmer six months...very low stress, $5 entries, no bling, drawings for prizes at the end...but mostly just a chance to go out and run to raise a few bucks for local charities.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.  I can tell my reading through this thread that many of you are significantly faster than I ever was lol, but none the less, I am glad to be running again.  Good luck to all of you this year on your goals.  I ran 9 this morning at nice comfortable pace of 11:30 so I am happy with my progress thus far.  Still many months to train before my foray back into Marathons.

OMR:  Glad to see some locals on here.  Thanks for the welcome and yes, I did live up here most of the time I was in the Navy.  My wife and kids all stayed here while I traveled the world, but I was back here all the time.  I do know about all the groups you mentioned.  I have run a number of races in the area.  I used to run those 5K's that Scheels put on years ago...I don't think they do them anymore, sounds like Fargo Running does it now as you say.  I live down in Kindred and plan to run in a lot of the little races this summer.  I used to love running in North Fargo.  Are you running the Fargo Marathon this year?  Hopefully, we can meet up sometime at a race or a fun run somewhere.