2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

DW- yes I would say that if comped entry and you are signing for being drug test eligible then the shoe regs would apply to you by USATF. Again with USADA, I don't thing the rules overlap will be a single circle but I think a venn diagram of people effected by rule regs and people who get tested will be 95% same.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Andres1045

Great article, and I found this to be the most convincing part of the whole thing regarding why the current rules make sense and why this idea that the VF was the sole reason for records being broken is wrong:

Here’s the catch, though. When swimming’s new rules came into effect, there was a widespread sense that the age of world records was over for a long, long time. After all, the suits used to set every one of those records were now banned. But if you look at the 40 major men’s and women’s swimming records now, all but 12 of them have been set since 2010. Somehow, swimmers—or perhaps suits and pools—keep getting faster.

That's an interesting takeaway from that article. I certainly read it as a clear acknowledgment that vaporfly's were a huge part of what shot the times down in the marathon in recent years. And even with that, it's okay to allow them to remain. I always thought the argument that "don't ban the shoes because it's not the shoes, it's the runner" is ignoring the huge amount of evidence (even if not perfectly scientific) to the contrary. My guess it's many years (like 10+) before we would see an athlete get to the current WR marathon time in something like NB1400's.

Regarding who the rules should apply to, for me personally, I'm not really bothered by it. I'm certainly not going to buy a pair of shoes that can't be used in high level competition, even if the rule doesn't apply to me. And if some one beats me with a pair of shoes that's illegal, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I guess if I was more competitive, I might have a different take or want a clearer set of rules. But there are so many non-elites that could beat me barefoot, that I'm not going to care if someone buys some special shoes to do it.

Upcoming races: Boston

Also I think it will be unlikely that "illegal" shoes will ever hit the market. 

Interesting point.  I think they'd sell pretty well, though.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Dropping $250-300 on shoes that are not "race legal"? If they sold alphaflies at $120 maybe but not at the super high price point

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Though my PR was run in Asics DS racers (unfortunately discontinued)

You could improve your PR by plugging it into a ShoeGradedPercentageCalculator  

Dropping $250-300 on shoes that are not "race legal"? 

I think there are plenty of runners out there with $$$ and no qualms.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

What about those who get comped entry as masters elite, and occasionally win prize money?  What about age group award contenders?  What about people who just want to BQ?

Don't you dare mess around about my vacation money and travel kitty

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think there needed to be regulation, just for clarity, and so I'm really glad we now have it.  I think one gap that remains open, and needs to be addressed: whom do these rules apply to?  Is it just the Keitanys and Kipchoges?  Just the Jared Wards and Kellyn Taylors?  What about those going for an OTQ?  What about those who get comped entry as masters elite, and occasionally win prize money?  What about age group award contenders?  What about people who just want to BQ?

We have a recurring issue that our sport has rules about drugs, outside assistance, headphones, and now shoes.  Our sport is one where everyone is theoretically competing in the same race, from Galen Rupp at the very front to the person hobbling in over 8 hours later.  And yet, there's this understanding that all of these rules apply to the very front, and not at all to the very back, and there's kittle or no clarity on where the cut-off between the two falls.  That's a big gaping hole that needs to be addressed.

Ban the shoes 100%. BQ, OTQ, World Record. Literally complete ban. No exceptions. The Vaporfly Rule is complete bullshit. I say this as someone who has never run in them and wanted to buy a pair because I thought they'd make me faster and accomplish my goal. If they're going to ban the shoe then every single OTQ run in the shoes shouldn't be allowed to run the trials. Just like a Revel isn't able to be used for an OTQ. Sorry to the runners who only accomplished their OTQ marathon time because they wore the Vaporflys. Go run a real marathon in real shoes not those moonshoes. Avoid the big gaping hole and send out a strongly worded letter saying "thanks for your application. We've decided you're ineldigable due to your use of performance enhancing substances and/or illegal shoes in your OTQ race."

From the article...

Any shoe that suddenly made an elite marathoner three minutes—or two minutes, or even one minute—faster must be cheating. How could it be otherwise?

So there you go. It was already considered cheating before the rule was ever made. All someone had to do was what others though was impossible. The Sub 2 time trial was the nail in the coffin.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dropping $250-300 on shoes that are not "race legal"? If they sold alphaflies at $120 maybe but not at the super high price point

They weren't illegal until a week ago. People like me were going to wait for the newest version to come out before dropping $300 on "outdated race shoes" and now that the time trial killed the possibility Nike would release them we'll be stuck with the Next %. Would it make ANY difference if Nike sold the Alphas, or the Next% or the Vaporlys for $150? Probably not. More people would run in them and I'd expect every OTHER shoe company to start working to get them banned because sales drop leading up to race season.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I don't really care about what the restrictions are...I think the no prototype being enforced is key and the 4 month available to the whole market is key.  I think that keeps the field level. If you look at the 2016 OTQ marathon, having those prototypes vs not having them with two struggling runner made a difference...or likely made a difference. If everyone has access to the same pool of shoes, fair play. My Dad trained and raced in Adidas gazelles after college. I wear them as my daily shoe, but those compared to even a basic running shoe now is night and day. Shoes are going to progress. Even if there were no plates allowed, the advances in foam, rubber, synthetic fabric, and plastic are going to make shoes much better.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running Problem

Problem Child

Shoe progression is a big reason I have a problem banning it. Plenty wasn't available when your dad was running so it isn't fair now. I'm in the "run what you brung" mentality and if Kipchoge work the Takumia Sen with pink laces we'd see pink laces everywhere.

Anyone have a discount code for runningwarehosue? I can't remember the one I had for the gotham city running club which I'm not a member of. I just found some trail shoes I want on clearance.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

All those who ran PRs in VFs can breathe a sigh of relief 

Phew, my 38 second marathon PR is safe!

Having run 39 marathons over the last 12 years...the Vaporflys were something else - the WOW factor and very noticeably faster...plus I wasn’t hobbling after the race.

I really couldn’t care less what the rules should be for elites/competitive jerks/AG warriors or hobby joggers.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Anyone have a discount code for runningwarehosue? I can't remember the one I had for the gotham city running club which I'm not a member of. I just found some trail shoes I want on clearance.

Do not ask in open forums - runningwarehouse follows all open sources and bans all the codes shared publicly - idiots.. I do not order anymore from them for that reason...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

JMac - I'm tempted to show up for Mardi Gras. What's your plan? To win it , race it, fun it???

Or just have fun and a few beers?

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Do not ask in open forums - runningwarehouse follows all open sources and bans all the codes shared publicly - idiots.. I do not order anymore from them for that reason...

Good to know. I started thinking about this earlier today and figured the code I had was canceled due to being overused.

VDOT 53.37