2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - I'm tempted to show up for Mardi Gras. What's your plan? To win it , race it, fun it???

Or just have fun and a few beers?

You know I was going to send you a message asking if you were coming. My plan is to race it. I want to use it as a rust buster, as I haven't run a race since CIM and I feel very out of shape right now. I also need to remember the pain of racing, as I often find my workouts go better after I race because I can always look back and think "this isn't as painful as that race last weekend, I got this." But the beers afterwards definitely appealed to me and was why I chose this over a more normal distance.

Winning it is a question of who shows up. I'm planning on running around 5:45 given my current fitness. It should certainly lock me in for a top 5. If you show up, I will not win it. 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

In shoe news.....legal alphafly coming 2/29.... https://twitter.com/ChrisChavez/status/1225163063160164352?s=19

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

pepperjack

pie man

if Kipchoge work the Takumia Sen with pink laces we'd see pink laces everywhere.

Yes, that's why errrrbody is wearing sketchers after Meb won Boston in them.  And that time Fila was the best shoe ever because of German Silva...

11:11 3,000 (recent)

pepperjack

pie man

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yes, that's why errrrbody is wearing sketchers after Meb won Boston in them.  And that time Fila was the best shoe ever because of German Silva...

I TOTALLY forgot about those. I need to find those go runs. I think my local Zumiez has them next to the Heelys.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

You know I was going to send you a message asking if you were coming. My plan is to race it. I want to use it as a rust buster, as I haven't run a race since CIM and I feel very out of shape right now. I also need to remember the pain of racing, as I often find my workouts go better after I race because I can always look back and think "this isn't as painful as that race last weekend, I got this." But the beers afterwards definitely appealed to me and was why I chose this over a more normal distance.

Winning it is a question of who shows up. I'm planning on running around 5:45 given my current fitness. It should certainly lock me in for a top 5. If you show up, I will not win it. 

My GF doesn’t want to do it. She’s like we barely drank beer at BluePoint 10 miler.  So I’ll sit it out. If they’re any other races in the city let me know. The NYRR 4 miler last weekend looked interesting, I regret not doing that.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

In shoe news.....legal alphafly coming 2/29.... https://twitter.com/ChrisChavez/status/1225163063160164352?s=19

You seem very obsessed about shoes for someone who has sig line goal times rather than race results.

Btw, has anyone heard from Cinnamon girl lately?  She’s one of my favourite posters and I want to know what she thinks of the lataest news regarding the Vaporflys. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I just find it all very interesting. My big concern is mostly about the pro athletes. I follow USA marathoning and mid-d/distance track pretty closely. After the packers, running is the sport I follow closest. I have the NBC gold track and field pass and watch a lot of track and marathon races live. So this is all very much about fandom. I follow it in the way most do baseball or basketball.

Personally my time goals are about my long term goal of going sub 2:37:01 in the marathon.  Winning races is not as big for deal because it is not really possible for me to do. In the Twin Cities, there are really only two types of races, ones you can win with a 18:30 5k and are in the small towns on the out skirts or ones that are on the race circuit with our local teams and are won with a 14:50 or faster. We had a guy go 4:02 in a street mile on our team. 15:42 is my track best 5k and I know it is very unlikely I'll ever be close to that again. So on a personal level I'm just trying to work myself back into shape after not running for 3 years and putting on 70 lbs. I don't own any of the cabon shoes and race in the new balance rebel. So the shoe thing for me is like following the Astros sign stealing scandal.

You seem very obsessed about shoes for someone who has sig line goal times rather than race results.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nimmals - that's too bad. It's probably too late now for you to find a way in, but my next race is the NYC Half, then Boston. Not sure what I'm doing in May/June before I shut down my running for the rest of the year. May run the Queens 10K, and probably the Corporate Challenge just because usually 200+ people from my company do it.

Mikkey - impossible to get in contact with her since she's not on Strava. Why aren't you asking the same thing about Swim, your favorite punching bag on this site 

Vaporfly - I'm still running in the 4%. I never upgraded to the Next, but I'm wondering whether I should be upgrading to this AlphaFly (if legal) for my Boston attempt. I'm thinking no. Curious what others will do for their spring races.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

My big concern is mostly about the pro athletes. I follow USA marathoning...

Des Linden (my favorite female marathoner) is loyal to her sponsor Brooks (who's new carbon shoe apparently sucks), and will have to face Alphas now in the olympic trials.  Putting duct tape over the swoosh won't fool anyone with those oversized things.

From the Internet.

Des Linden (my favorite female marathoner) is loyal to her sponsor Brooks (who's new carbon shoe apparently sucks), and will have to face Alphas now in the olympic trials.  Putting duct tape over the swoosh won't fool anyone with those oversized things.

I've heard the opposite about Brooks, to the point that I'm actually really excited to try them out once I'm unbroken.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Vaporfly - I'm still running in the 4%. I never upgraded to the Next, but I'm wondering whether I should be upgrading to this AlphaFly (if legal) for my Boston attempt. I'm thinking no. Curious what others will do for their spring races.

I'm getting the Alpha Fly for London. When Tergat set the world record (2003) in carbon plated Fila's no one said shit.

When Gebreselassie set the world record (2007) in carbon plated Adidas Proplate, again no one said shit either.

The only time people complained was Spira with the springs. The next % doesn't have springs.

Alphaplfys are being released after the Olympic trials.I'll be first in line.

You have NB runners in carbon plated prototypes all over social media.

Saucony Hyperion being worn by Saucony athletes.

Catch up or go away like Fila did .Only Fila I see these days are those huge Bratz like doll shoes.

Someone sent me a screenshot of their ultra runner magazine. Some 46 year old apparently broke the 45-49 AG record. 3:09:22.

I would have thought Wardian would have been after it but his time last year ranked him 2nd in 3:13:54 30 @ Hoka Carbon. 3:13 was close 3:09 is not worth it in my opinion. I'd have to bank time cruising through the marathon in 5:55 then somehow hold on.Not likely looks like I'll need a new project.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/national-record-set-for-mens-50k-at-cowtown/5763/

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

CalBears

Mikkey - ...

Why aren't you asking the same thing about Swim, your favorite punching bag on this site 

Because no need to ask - it's clear like day why he is not here 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Des and Fauble for the marathon for me too. Otherwise I am a huge fan of all the US steeple men/women.  The rest of mid d and distance I follow and but don't have super strong feelings on individuals other than I love woody kincaid cause I have heard him on podcasts and he is weird as heck.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

When Tergat set the world record (2001) in carbon plated Fila's no one said shit.

When Gebreselassie set the world record (2003) in carbon plated Adidas Proplate, again no one said shit either.

No one said shit, cause they didn't work.  VF is the first shoe that works.

ETA: When I'm able to race, I'll buy the fastest shoes I can get my hands on.  It's nostalgia now, but I used to like running because the equipment didn't really matter.