2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I just don't think that's what's happening here though--I don't think anyone (credibly) is picking one or two examples and saying that the Vaporfly's are a game changer. There appears to be tons of data to back up the fact that they are far ahead of all other marathon shoes currently on the market, for elites down to hobby joggers. I'm struggling to see how you can make an argument that they are not a game changer. I'd bet a lot of money that all else being equal, a runner in VF beats the theoretically equal runner wearing ANY other shoe in a marathon. Every time. Saying all that, I think they're totally fair. In my mind, they seem to have met the rules in the past, and they clearly meet the new rules. Hopefully other companies catch up.

It's interesting, because I think a lot of what we are arguing about is degrees.  Not whether it's a very good shoe, but whether it is too much a better shoe than anything else.  I don't see the gap as large as others do.

To be clear, I don't disagree that the VF is a very good shoe.  I don't disagree that it is the best marathoning shoe on the market, and that the Next% is arguably the best shoe at any distance (that's why I wear them when I race).  What I do disagree with is that it's a huge, insurmountable advantage, and that everytime someone wins something in the shoe, it's evidence of said insurmountable advantage.    And I don't think we were at some utopian "all shoes are equal" point before this.

I think that if you removed the VF from the equation, I'd argue that I'd run faster in the Adios than I would in any other shoe.  And I think that would hold true for pretty much anyone my size, who could handle the Adios over 26 miles.  One difference in the VF, of course, is that it's combination of lightness and cushion makes it accessible to a larger # of runners.  You have to be on the smaller side to be able to reap the benefits of the Adios Boost over 26 miles; but most people can get away with the VF.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I agree with andrea's thoughts.

Rovattii 90-95%

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If you had to guess, what percent of non-sponsored runners at the trials will be wearing VFs?

Probably 70%.  I know some people who prefer the Carbon Rocket to the VF.   Of the DC area runners I know going to the trials, I'd say 3/4ths wear the VF.

A coach posted on LetsRun that he had 4 women going to the trials - of them, he said one would be wearing the VF, and three would be using the new Brooks Hyperion shoe.

I think there will be a lot of VFs at the trials.  I do not expect them to be the universal choice of those without a shoe contract.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Those around here that know me for a while probably see right through my real issues with VF.  I just missed sub3 a few years ago and have lived with a pebble in my shoe ever since.  This new technology gets the bitter bile refluxing in the back of my throat again.

I need to shut up and get some professional help.       "...  so tell me Rovatti., what kind of shoes did your mother wear?"

pepperjack

pie man

Those around here that know me for a while probably see right through my real issues with VF.  I just missed sub3 a few years ago and have lived with a pebble in my shoe ever since.  This new technology gets the bitter bile refluxing in the back of my throat again.

I need to shut up and get some professional help.       "...  so tell me Rovatti., what kind of shoes did your mother wear?"

I ran my PR on a hilly course with trainers.  Imagine what I could have done on a CIM-level course with the shoes.  2:58?  2:57!

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My joke is that my 2:57 at was at CIM in Vaporflies while on Advair.  So clearly it's actually a 3:20.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal - I've worn the Adios 4's for 90% of my mileage the past 4 months or so. They're great. Fast stuff, slow stuff, long, short. I highly recommend them. But the VF's are in a totally different league. They're super fast, but can be awkward for anything not racing. I also don't find them to be all that comfortable. I'd give them a shot. You and Mikkey, when it comes closer to, need to set down some rules on what shoe is or isn't allowed.

I’m sure I’ll be asked to wear a 10kg weighted vest. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Apparently none of us can take a joke anymore. Do I need to go off on another long random rambling rant to get things to change? It's about that time of the month.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

There is some extra pride that comes with beating people in $250 shoes when you're wearing the $100 clearance ones.

There is also small amounts of satisfaction to say "oh I TOTALLY ran in the cheap version of the carbon fiber shoe" and add * to your PRs.

I bet your mama wears combat boots.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

I’m sure I’ll be asked to wear a 10kg weighted vest. 

Thank you Mikkey for agreeing to wear 10kg weighted vest - that our weight difference, so I am so glad you understand the unfairness of the competition if you run at a lighter weight. You are such a nice person and you NY’s marathon time is amazing!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

pepperjack

pie man

There is some extra pride that comes with beating people in $250 shoes when you're wearing the $100 clearance ones.

There is also small amounts of satisfaction to say "oh I TOTALLY ran in the cheap version of the carbon fiber shoe" and add * to your PRs.

I bet your mama wears combat boots.

Eek.  I think $100 shoes are way overpriced.  Of course I can remember the time when everybody knew someone who wore $8 K-Mart shoes and crushed.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Someone sent me a screenshot of their ultra runner magazine. Some 46 year old apparently broke the 45-49 AG record. 3:09:22.

I would have thought Wardian would have been after it but his time last year ranked him 2nd in 3:13:54 30 @ Hoka Carbon. 3:13 was close 3:09 is not worth it in my opinion. I'd have to bank time cruising through the marathon in 5:55 then somehow hold on.Not likely looks like I'll need a new project.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/national-record-set-for-mens-50k-at-cowtown/5763/

I've run with that guy before - he's local to me. ~2:32 marathon guy, if I remember. Something tells me you two would actually get along quite well. 
                          50k record Strava activity.

DWave - Definitely agree that the women's side is stacked compared to the men's. Has Rupp even had more than one good race in the past couple years? Also, Jim Walmsley will be a fun one to watch in the trials. People love to yell about how top road marathoners could clean house in ultras, but seeing the opposite transition is quite interesting to me.

Brew - What if you got the old carbon fiber shoe on clearance??

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

I can't sleep anymore.   Someone send me to Bellevue.  Nike patent

Running Problem

Problem Child

I can't sleep anymore.   Someone send me to Bellevue.  Nike patent

https://mynorthwest.com/1704679/amazon-bellevue-plans-2020/

You want to be two day shipped?

EDIT: Clicked the link. Good for Nike to have a patent on it. Not even surprised with the amount of money they've spent developing the shoe. I believe the US patent is 7 years from the date of inception. I guess it isn't fair Nike is sharing their reserach with everyone. Seriously....the shoe thing is a bullshit reason to complain over losing. Next we'll say marijuana is performance enhancing and if you're high and win a race you should be banned from competition. Just imagine if Jim Walmsley was high as a kite after running Western States in 2019.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Eek.  I think $100 shoes are way overpriced.  Of course I can remember the time when everybody knew someone who wore $8 K-Mart shoes and crushed.

I think flying across the country to run a marathon and buy a thin running jacket for $100+ is way over priced and I've been trying to do it for 4+ years because I said I could quit running when I run Boston. Pretty expensive way to quit a hobby, don't you think? I'm not the best person to take advice from and I'm glad my wife married me because I made her laugh because she obviously didn't marry for brains.

Keen You get VF 4% shoes on clearance and you better buy lottery tickets because it was your lucky day. *This does not apply if you wear a shoe size 11 or larger as those are always available on clearance for years. No one that big runs.

VDOT 53.37