2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

2:01:01 at 20 miles, 6:03 pace. Just need to hold on for sub 2:40. Now Joe is in 6th place; seems like a couple of guys ahead of him may have dropped out or run into major problems.

2:52:16 (2018)

Where is the tracking?  I can't find it on the site?

https://my.raceresult.com/145670/results?lang=en#1_53EDC2

I looked first at the race site and that was useless, the above link is great though.

Thanks for taking over the tracking! I'm also glad you've already got the first story of 2020 lined up for Marathon Investigation.

Ha ha! Even more impressive is the guy went from 15 to 17 miles in just 6 seconds!  He's not gone through the 20 mile mark yet; probably that surge tired him out 

Weather finished in 2:40:30; PR by ~8.5 minutes! Great job! He was 5th overall so moved up in the last half.

Andres1045

Way to go, Weather! I imagine that wind was feeling stronger than it read along the river there. Fantastic job putting together a great race.

My week:

67 Miles total.

Mon - 8mi @ 7:52

Tue - 14 @ 7:12 with 6 Easy, 3x2mi (6:11, 6:04); (5:59, 6:02); (6:12, 6:11)

Wed - 4.6 @ 8:06

Thu -  6 @ 8:19

Fri - 8.1 @ 7:58

Sat - 19.7 @ 7:03

Sun - 6.3 @ 8:21

I was glad to wrap up my last big training week. Now two weeks to go. I'll plan to do one more workout this week, but let the mileage drop a bit. The Tuesday workout was the last of the four that JMac prescribed. I'm glad I did those four, but I can tell you that the last 2 mile rep hurt (this was the only workout of the 4 that had me do 6 miles total of harder miles). I'm not too worried about it though. The entire week I was battling a nasty cold (I woke up with it the Saturday before), so I guess it could have been that. I finally got over the cold by this Saturday morning when I felt great. Even though I felt great, I kept the long run under 20 miles JUST IN CASE! My thought for this week was to go ahead and get one more either 3x2miles or 2x3miles in as part of a 10 to 12 mile run, unless someone has a convincing reason not to.

Upcoming races: Boston

weatherboy80

Thanks for tracking everyone.  Hard to be disappointed in a massive PR, but marathons are just plain hard!  The cold wind got to me in the last 10k and I was alone on an island the entire race.  So close to sub 2:40 though 😂

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Swim5599

Thanks for tracking everyone.  Hard to be disappointed in a massive PR, but marathons are just plain hard!  The cold wind got to me in the last 10k and I was alone on an island the entire race.  So close to sub 2:40 though 😂

Great race.  PR s are PR s.  And that was a massive one

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Swim5599

Got 80 in this week. Plan is to be back on track completely by Jan 27 which gives me 12 solid weeks to get ready for Boston where who knows what the weather will look like

mon 8 8:18

tue Am. 5 8:20

Pm 10 with 5x5:00 at 5:45

wed 8 8:20

thurs 8 8:20

fri AM 5 8:20

Pm 10 3x9:00 at 5:55

sat 8 8:20

sun 18 as 9.5 easy then 3x14:00 at 6:15

BCarv

The Running Dead

I'm normally a lurker on this site, but I'll throw my hat in.

In real life, my name is Brian and I'm 53.  I'm married with 4 kids (2 in college, 1 in med school, and 1 launched) I live in SE Michigan and I work as an engineer in the packaging industry.

I came off the couch in 2012 to get in shape, and fell in love with running/training.  I've since run 6 marathons, but admittedly, most of my PR's are several years old.  I've also struggled a bit with injuries (TMTS) and trying to PR races when my fitness and the conditions weren't in my favor.  My goals for 2020 are to get my base miles up (1700 in 2019, hoping to break 2000 this year), take a fresh approach to training (trying to incorporate principles from Pfitzinger and Fitzgerald) and take a serious run at my marathon PR (3:22) in the fall in Grand Rapids, MI (a flat local race).  Long term, I'd like to complete the World marathon majors (I have the 3 American ones under my belt, but getting in the lottery for the international ones has been a challenge).

I used to be very active on the RWOL site, but have had trouble finding my rhythm with a new on-line group.  I look forward to following your training, rooting for you to reach your goals and getting to know you better.

My week:  42.9 miles, all easy as I'm trying to get a hamstring niggle resolved before starting training for a spring HM.

Congrats to weather, good luck to Andres and happy training to everyone else.

Weather: Very happy for you to get that PR and great job hanging on the last 10k in the strong wind!

Andres: You're up next! Nice week despite the cold; good that you are getting over that now with 2 weeks till race day.

Swim: Big week; you really locked in to 8:20 pace for the easy runs.

BCarv: Welcome! Good to have another Michigander here (I grew up there). I'm in a similar situation getting over an injury and putting in base miles now.

My week: It's nothing special but after struggling with this injury for so long I finally feel like I am out of the woods; this was the most weekly mileage since September for me. Aerobically I'm way out of shape but I'm overjoyed to be out on the roads again. I got in some rowing as well; unfortunately I'm encountering the same sore arse issues on the rower as with the stationary bike, so 10k will be about my maximal distance. It is a good workout nonetheless.

Mon: 10k row in 43:22

Tue: 10.5 mi (8:46)

Wed: 12.1 mi (8:30)

Thu: 8.0 mi on TM (7:40); progression 8:49 to 6:45

Fri: 10k row in 42:49

Sat: 10.0 mi (8:14)

Sun: 13.1 mi (8:25)

53.8 mi total

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sorry you couldn't nab that sub 240 weather but huge PR! I really hope this is the last time you run one of these small Florida races, for both the weather and size concerns. You spend way too much time running each week (more than everyone here) and taking the chances on these courses just because they're convenient is risky. I definitely think CIM should be on your radar for December!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cinnamon girl

Congrats Weather! Hope to hear more details when you're recovered! The last 10k is hard enough but with cold wind too, and on your own .. sounds like you fought a good battle to the very end! And don't think twice about not being sub whatever. Reminds me of one of my marathons when I PR'd by 8 1/2 minutes. Ran 3:00:2x. So many were consoling me for not getting sub whatever. I knew sub whatever was a thing, but I didn't know it was that big of a fucking thing (sorry for the profanity but not). I had just PRd by 8 1/2 minutes! Be ecstatic! 

Welcome BCarv

JTReeves - super yay on your week!

Mikkey - ok at least you got a diagnosis to move forward with.

Swim - right back at it

M: 9.75 mi wi/2 x 3200 (12:37, 12:36) w/2:20 easy (8:1x), 1600 (6:20)
                          T: 10.7 mi (7:36)
                          W: OFF
                          T: 9.2 mi (8:08)
                          F: 7.8 mi (8:08)
                          S: 17.6 mi w/7 mi (8:06), 30 min (6:33), 6 mi (7:47)
                          S: 60 min (8:20)

Swim5599

I totally agree Cinnamon.  First time I broke 2:50 was a 3 minute PR and I hadn’t PR d in two years.  I was ecstatic.  Half the old RW thread.  “Cool but I thought you d be faster”.   Weather i hope you enjoy that because I thought it was awesome.  

cinnamon great looking week.

Congrats Weather! Hope to hear more details when you're recovered! The last 10k is hard enough but with cold wind too, and on your own .. sounds like you fought a good battle to the very end! And don't think twice about not being sub whatever. Reminds me of one of my marathons when I PR'd by 8 1/2 minutes. Ran 3:00:2x. So many were consoling me for not getting sub whatever. I knew sub whatever was a thing, but I didn't know it was that big of a fucking thing (sorry for the profanity but not). I had just PRd by 8 1/2 minutes! Be ecstatic! 

Welcome BCarv

JTReeves - super yay on your week!

Mikkey - ok at least you got a diagnosis to move forward with.

Swim - right back at it

M: 9.75 mi wi/2 x 3200 (12:37, 12:36) w/2:20 easy (8:1x), 1600 (6:20)
                            T: 10.7 mi (7:36)
                            W: OFF
                            T: 9.2 mi (8:08)
                            F: 7.8 mi (8:08)
                            S: 17.6 mi w/7 mi (8:06), 30 min (6:33), 6 mi (7:47)
                            S: 60 min (8:20)

Marky_Mark_17

Weather - congrats on the big PB!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

cinnamon girl

Turning 50 in 2020. I’ve shared bits and pieces on Runners World over the years but here’s my story. Is it long? Sorry but I started 35 yrs ago 

High School. Grew up on a farm in rural WI. Started running my Freshman yr in ’84 when a friend convinced me and was in the top 5 for XC that won state that year. However I spent a lot of time in the ICU that Fall with my dad dying of cancer - missing school and practices. Up until then I had been his shadow. He went into the hospital in August and passed away in Oct, the Monday after the state xc meet. I was completely devastated. I ran track that following spring and went to sectionals in the 1600 and 3200, going to state in the 3200 ranked #1, got 2nd. I had fallen for running whether it was how I found myself without my dad, or whether it was an escape from home life, I don’t know. That summer a local DIII asked if I wanted to train with them. Mother said no – as I guess there was no way since I couldn’t drive and she had to work, and we had the farm to take care of without Dad. I had to find my way to practice and meets, my friend’s parents helped with that. I had to find my own way to the State meet because mother had no interest apparently. Soph yr things started to fall apart and I started drinking during noon hour but still managed to get to sectionals in the 3200 but that’s where it stopped. Soph and Junior year a lot of noon hours and outside of school was about drinking. I didn’t want to be home. The summer between junior and senior year I took destruction to another level and lost 30 lb to weigh under 70 lbs and was in the hospital for the start of my Senior year. I missed XC. I was allowed to run track that Spring by the MD only if I made a certain weight. I managed to get what was needed but I had no muscle and I don’t remember how much I actually did run that Spring. I held the high school records for the 1600 and 3200 from that freshman year and they stood for 30 years. 😊

Post HS. Regrouped and healed myself enough to get undergrad degrees in Kinesiology and Pharmacy. Later, Doctorate in Pharmacy. Then I was working on a double MBA/MHA degree and planning to climb the ladder in healthcare management, until one gorgeous summer day sitting on my porch studying law and I said Fuck This – and decided that’s not the balance in life I wanted. So, I’m a Pharmacist mainly hospital but have loved working in the ER, and outpatient oncology. Ran occasionally.

Recent years. Just before turning 40, in early 2010, I started running for real and wanted to see if I could run a marathon. I only ran every other day as I was hesitant to do more because of osteopenia. I ran Twin Cities in 2010 in 3:22 with a 5 min negative split, having left years of emotions on that course. I don’t think I’ll ever be able (or desire?) to give so much in a race again.  As far as training goes, I got in really great shape in 2015/2016. The Change is real. Symptoms started in earnest at age 47 and haven’t stopped.

PRs even though they are my least favorite topic of discussion - marathon (3:00:2x) Houston '12, Half 1:23:55 run 3 times ('15,'16). 10k 38:38 ('15) 5k 18:38 ('17). The 5k is the last race I quasi trained for.

Planning on Barcelona and Berlin for 2020. Job interview Tuesday 

Random notes: I have pretty bad asthma – I should be on a steroid inhaler but I choose not to - only use albuterol prior to runs and races (and all the other times I can't breathe!). In elementary school it was me and this other larger kid who couldn’t make it around the football field in gym class. I found out in my late 20s I have severe osteopenia. So I’ve avoided all thoughts on steroids. And I support my kids (son 25, daughter 23) in whatever passions they want to pursue, to the fullest extent I am capable.