2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Andres1045

It's interesting, because I think a lot of what we are arguing about is degrees.  Not whether it's a very good shoe, but whether it is too much a better shoe than anything else.  I don't see the gap as large as others do. 

I guess I'm in the "the gap is large" group, at least when it comes to longer races (like 10 miles or longer). But even being in that group, I don't think it's cheating or that Nike did anything wrong. And get annoyed when others gripe about people that wear them or call it cheating.

My gut (or maybe just hope) tells me the differences between the 4%/Next%/Alpha%/every-other-brand's-new-marathon-shoe will be about degrees. Or degrees and personal variations. So people with different needs will have different "ideal" shoes. Instead of some people having to force the Nike's to work.

Upcoming races: Boston

pepperjack

pie man

Well, just wait until after the race and you can usually find the jackets at TJ Maxx or whatever.  I didn't buy the 2014 one.

I think Rovatti was talking more the 'cause they're waiting for you at Bellevue with their oxygen masks' place.  Smile

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

PJ Is that the place Zeus told John McClain to say he just escaped from when there was a bomb in an elementary school that turned out to be sugary flavored water?

andres Degrees matter. Fahrenheit and Celsius are WAY different. Also, with the weather at everyone's marathon and what we all thing is "cold" for a race it pretty much means every marathon for every runner is different. The shoe is just the biggest issue. Ever wonder what people said about gels you'd carry with you along the course? I'm all about technology. Especially when people try to buy their way to the top and find out it doesn't work that way.

darkwave I think "better" is the problem. People ALWAYS have a problem with others being "better" than them. Some just accept the fact they SUCK at things better than others. I've accepted olympians are better than me, along with skinny guys from the East Coast, and Russian transplants. I'm better (at running) than plenty of people. I actually try to put some effort into building people up instead of tearing them down...to a point.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I guess I'm in the "the gap is large" group, at least when it comes to longer races (like 10 miles or longer). But even being in that group, I don't think it's cheating or that Nike did anything wrong. And get annoyed when others gripe about people that wear them or call it cheating.

My gut (or maybe just hope) tells me the differences between the 4%/Next%/Alpha%/every-other-brand's-new-marathon-shoe will be about degrees. Or degrees and personal variations. So people with different needs will have different "ideal" shoes. Instead of some people having to force the Nike's to work.

I think that's right.  Everyone has different mechanics, and responds differently to shoes.

Not the VF, but for the heck of it I picked up some Reebok FloatRide Run Fast Pro shoes a bit over a year ago.  Those were Reebok's answer to the VF - the foam in them is both freakishly light and extremely bouncy, but unlike other new generation shoes, the Reebok shoe is very thin and flexible.

There are people who swear by this shoe, and insist it's far superior to the VF for distances up to the half - it is both bouncer than the VF and lighter, if you can believe that.

For myself, I found it just didn't work, and I ran much faster in the Adios.  For whatever reason, I run best in a very stiff shoe - the VF, the Adios, the Takumi Sen.  No matter how bouncy and light, if it flexes, it's not for me.

But like I said, others found the shoe much better than anything out there for shorter distances.  It has to be something about differences in gait.  Different people respond differently to different shoes.

With the VFs, I do see a difference in response based on build.  The consensus among the smaller women on my team is that it's a good shoe, but not hugely better than what they ran in before.   On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen notable improvement in heavier men who have swapped to them.  I suspect much of it is that they are now running in much lighter shoes than ever before; some may be that people who hit the ground with more force get more out of the shoe.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I wear a 12 or 11.5 and frequently buy my shoes for $50....

I think flying across the country to run a marathon and buy a thin running jacket for $100+ is way over priced and I've been trying to do it for 4+ years because I said I could quit running when I run Boston. Pretty expensive way to quit a hobby, don't you think? I'm not the best person to take advice from and I'm glad my wife married me because I made her laugh because she obviously didn't marry for brains.

Keen You get VF 4% shoes on clearance and you better buy lottery tickets because it was your lucky day. *This does not apply if you wear a shoe size 11 or larger as those are always available on clearance for years. No one that big runs.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running Problem

Problem Child

You lucky dog. 10.5 all day long. Sucks being average sometimes. At least I can sit on a plane comfortably in the middle seat.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

The plane comment cut me deep. 

You lucky dog. 10.5 all day long. Sucks being average sometimes. At least I can sit on a plane comfortably in the middle seat.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Yeah, that one stings. *shudders while remembering flights between Seattle and Anchorage*

Over the summer Jackrabbit cleared out their supply of VF4%s. I was late to the sale, but thanks to my size 12.5's (probably should have gotten 13s in retrospect) I was able to snag a pair "cheap".

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

People LOVE sitting next to me.  Plenty of room.

Early in my career when I was at a big law firm, I flew first class.  It was actually much less comfortable than coach - the seats were just too big, and my feet barely reached the floor.

Flying is the one time it's great to be small with disproportionately short legs.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Early in my career when I was at a big law firm, I flew first class.  It was actually much less comfortable than coach

I used to respect you so much.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

DoppleBock

Same - 11.5 - rarely pay > $50.  Watch for  new model release - wait for discontinued model to go on sale ... buy 4-6 pairs.  Leaves more $ to waste on other things.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I used to respect you so much.

I have clearly lost all credibility.

But seriously, try flying for a few hours with your legs dangling over the edge of the seat.  And with the window too far from your seat to comfortably lean your head against.  It's a lot less comfortable than you would think.

(of course, they now supposedly sell feet cradles for those with this issue)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Photo from darkwave flying first class. 

See the source image

VDOT 53.37 

weatherboy80

FYI - I just picked up a pair of the original Vaporfly 4% on nike's site for $160 with shipping.  Not sure if this is a great deal or not considering the newer Next % and latest release coming soon, but I thought it was worth mentioning.  I love the Flyknit upper's on my flyknits so I'm curious how the 4% will feel.  Now the question is whether or not I should race in a fresh pair of the 4% or go back to the Next % that already have about 60 miles of wear and tear on them?

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

CalBears

FYI - I just picked up a pair of the original Vaporfly 4% on nike's site for $160 with shipping.  Not sure if this is a great deal or not considering the newer Next % and latest release coming soon, but I thought it was worth mentioning.  I love the Flyknit upper's on my flyknits so I'm curious how the 4% will feel.  Now the question is whether or not I should race in a fresh pair of the 4% or go back to the Next % that already have about 60 miles of wear and tear on them?

weather - thanks for mentioning the deal, I bought one pair too, just in case Mikkey is too picky for a specific model to compete in Smile But seriously, never saw a price cheaper than this.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile