2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Marky: Nice work to get the running in while on vacation. I saw you were at some significant altitude; did you notice it, or did it just blend in with the effort required to run in the snow and on all the hills?

Cyberic: Those quality runs look really good. The LR especially has a nice progression of paces.

DPS: Great job to get it done on the mill, especially the long run.

DW: Excellent week for you! I was really impressed with that 2 x 3 miles session. I agree that you are in PR shape.

Cal: Also was impressed with your 2 x 3 miles (why was everyone doing that this week?? also another person I follow did that workout today...).  Excellent mountainous long run as well.

My week: I had Tuesday off work so did my workout with a lot of extra mileage, not initially planned that way but after the 2 mile reps I felt like extending it and had the time to do so. First week over 70 miles since early September. Things seem to be holding together.

Mon: strength

Tue:  17 w/ 3 x 2 mi @ 6:12 average, 0.5 mi jog recovery

Wed: 8 @ 8:57 on TM

Thu:  6 @ 8:22 on TM

Fri:  12.3 @ 8:34 with some hills (1050 ft)

Sat: 8.3 @ 9:18 on trails

Sun: 20 @ 7:55

total 71.7 miles

2:52:16 (2018)

madisonrunner

Wow, a lot of activity on this thread.

JMac - Hope everything goes well for you and your family with the baby on the way.  I found when my son was my born my running got better since I was forced to be consistent.  I had to plan runs much better if I wanted to run at all.  I agree with Cyber on the trying to get in as much running as possible during lost time - thus run commuting and running when my son is at friends houses, practices, etc.

I'm through 3 weeks of a 12 week marathon cycle and feeling good.

Week 3 (this week):  103 miles including 10 miles MP @5:52 (outdoors)

Week 2: 100 miles including 5 mile LT @ 5:27 (indoor) and a 19.5 mile long run (not fast due to footing)

Week 1:  87 miles including 8 miles MP @ 5:47 pace (indoor)

The next 2 weeks will be a little lower in mileage.

Cyberic

Thanks guys. I'm getting to know you guys, so I'm not really commenting on your workouts as what is fast for me might be easy pace for some people, and the other way around, so waiting some more before I comment.

I'm putting in many quality miles, but it's because I have no option to run fast intervals right now because winter and an indoor track that is square instead of oval. I'd rather be running fast this far off from my marathon, but I'm trying to make it work with what I've got. If I ran faster, I'd run less quality, of course.

ETA: Madison, I don't know you and what pace is "normal" for you, but I do know steady 100 miles weeks is pretty impressive.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

JMAC - Congrats on a great race excited to hear about the race.

1st Blonde Ambition Blonde Ale

2nd Blood Orange Pale Ale

GF and I really love Blonde Ambition that along with Goose Islands Sofie's are my two faves. I prefer Cider but will drink beer when cider isn't available.

Not much else to write about seeing I was so busy posting as Sport Jester. 

I'm not even going to try to defend that accusation.

Brew put me for a 50K March 1st It has a BQ marathon component.

Date ▼ Activity Course Type Distance Duration Pace Actions
          2/9/2020 Run  21 Slow AF Miles SUNY Hills Long 21.03 2:57:47 8:25  
          2/8/2020 Run  20 Miles SUNY Hills  Long 20.3 mi 2:58:20 8:48
          2/7/2020 Run

9 Easy w/ Lady 🦚s

Easy 9.7 mi 1:41:09 10:29
          2/6/2020 Run

Stronger Together Mona Fartlek 🦚

Fartlek 8.0 mi 1:18:44 9:50
          2/5/2020 Run

7 Miles easy on bike path w/ Frankie

Easy 7.2 mi 1:07:47 9:28
          2/5/2020 Run

8 Miles easy on bike path w/ Bobby

Easy 8.5 mi 1:16:05 8:55
          2/4/2020 Run

8x 1k @ 3:42, 3:33, 3:30, 3:27, 3:20,    3:14, 3:09, 3:05

Interval 9.7 mi 1:21:12 8:24
          2/4/2020 Run

4X 2k @ 7:04, 6:46, 6:39, 6:38

Interval 11.3 mi 1:39:50 8:49
          2/3/2020 Rest  Monday Off Rest 0 mi 0:00:00 0:0  

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Marky_Mark_17

JT - nice week, it's always satisfying when you start getting that mileage built up again.  I didn't specifically notice the altitude, to be honest.  At 1,200m / 4,000 feet it's apparently enough to make a difference but I couldn't distinguish it from the impact of hills and running on snow-covered roads.  My HR seems 5bpm or so lower than normal at easy efforts now I'm back down at sea level now so maybe it helped.

Cyberic - happy to help!

If you're a Saucony fan, my other learning from the trip is that the Saucony Switchback ISO is a fantastic trail shoe.  It's basically a Freedom ISO with a modified upper, treads and BOA lacing - performed extremely well and far better than the ASICS Trabuco that I've tended to use in the past.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

OMR

Delayed thanks for the contributions to the responses to running doubles (and triples/quadruples) about 6 pages ago.  I, too, purchased a pair of the Kinvara 10s, although I just took a pair of 7s out of the box, and have a pair of 9s waiting in the closet.

My week:

M:  Rest

T:  4.3M @ 9:17

W:  4.6M @ 8:37

T:  8.3M w/1.4M @ HMP

F:  4.8M @ 9:17

S:  10M @ 9:53

S:  4.5M @ 8:49

Total:  36.5M, elevation gain/loss:  1054'/790'.

I got in 59 miles with a 16 mile long run--both are by far my highest totals since before VCM in May. Mostly easy with some strides.  Ankle is no worse.

i obviously can't train my wan into decent marathon shape in 10 weeks but maybe I can marathon my way into decent training shape in that time.

Re: the trials is Emily Sisson running? Her bio isn't on the trials site. My one conversation with Ray Treacy went like this: <in a lilting Irish accent> "I've got eleven scholarships and I've got eleven guys. You wouldn't fit in." He obviously knows talent when he sees it. On the men's side I'm just rooting for a local kid who I've known since he was 16. He has no shot at making the team but it would be cool to see him go out with a bang in his 2nd trials and what he claims is his marathon retirement tour.

Runners run

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Darkwave- way to go full Des during the storm and sticking it out as long as you did.

Cal- quad and glute development is important but sucks to do. Time to bust out running with the buffalos to read so you cam have some partners in your grind.

JT- Nice work out tues, but the 20 miles sub 8 min is also pretry darn good

Madison- just out there crushing miles

Nimmals- interested in how the second 20 miler felt especially since it was faster than Saturday.

OMR- race is coming soon...how are you feeling in the taper?

Mikey- as experienced as you are I am sure you know, but if anything like me prone to forget... , do those ankle exercises and get to the line healthy, if not in prime shape.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Fishyone

Morning.  Many great weeks here.   My pace slowed this week with the 2nd week at 80 miles. Hopefully once I settle into the higher miles my legs will feel up to some faster work.  I think I may try to slow my recovery paces a little as I continue to build.  As others have said Consistency is key!!

total pace  
                    Mon 12 8:30 GA 12 w 11 x 100M strides
                    Tue 7.6 8:50 Recovery
                    Wed 15 8:42 Mid Long
                    Thu 7.6 9:13 Recovery
                    Fri 11.3 8:28 GA 11 
                    Sat 21 9:04 long run
                    Sun 7.5 9:22 Recovery

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals- interested in how the second 20 miler felt especially since it was faster than Saturday.

It felt great. I was originally planning to run a 24, 28, or 30 miles but bailed on it as I wanted to run later that evening in the full moon. I ended up sitting in my Normatec for 2 hours rereading Otter1  & Sport Jester citations. Time got away so I decided to skip 2nd run. The full moon was beautiful . I'm obsessed with running under a full moon. I maybe part Lycan.

JT Nice week, looks like you're ready. Purrier was Purrfect

MikeyMike - Don't feel bad.  I had a similar comment from a coach "You're decent at everything and good at nothing."

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Purrier was BANANAS

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Andres1045

Not much else to write about seeing I was so busy posting as Sport Jester. 

I'm not even going to try to defend that accusation.

I didn't really understand what you were talking about. But then I found it. That thread was incredible. I have to admit, I only skimmed it, but did start looking up stuff outside of there about the guy. Really amazing.

Mikeymike - what's "decent" marathon shape? 10 weeks seems like a long time to improve/build on 59/16.

Upcoming races: Boston

It felt great. I was originally planning to run a 24, 28, or 30 miles but bailed on it as I wanted to run later that evening in the full moon. I ended up sitting in my Normatec for 2 hours rereading Otter1  & Sport Jester citations. Time got away so I decided to skip 2nd run. The full moon was beautiful . I'm obsessed with running under a full moon. I maybe part Lycan.

JT Nice week, looks like you're ready. Purrier was Purrfect

MikeyMike - Don't feel bad.  I had a similar comment from a coach "You're decent at everything and good at nothing."

Sorry about that!  I'm not going back in there anymore.

I was at the high school XC New England Championships and Nike Northeast Regionals in 2011 & 2012.  I remember watching Purrier who was an unknown back then and I was astounded by her bravery in a race.  She took it to everyone with no fear each time I watched her.  She was not the fastest runner coming into the race in those days but she ran up front with a confidence I have rarely seen and prevailed.  We were extremely impressed.

But did I ever think she would do what she did the other day?  Never.  It was fun for me to see how surprised she was as well.  What a thriller of a race!  I saw that same bravery in that last lap.  One for the ages.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread.  I got excited when I saw her name.  Really was one of the greatest races I have ever seen.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Otter1, come on no need to apologize, we talk about every and anything. I had no idea who he was but I wanted to go over the studies so I just read them and other similar ones. He is right about walking efficiency when load bearing and it makes sense. But walking is a front of body movement. Whereas running is power and force created under the body as you stated not ahead of it. And you do want to fly as it allows for shorter power lever that's why I even played around with it on the track doing two workouts to see if it made a difference. He doesn't go into the running per se only what to do prior. So I'm still curious , No matter i can reach out to him if I have more questions so its not a sideshow.

As for Purrier yes, she was amazing Lipari introduced me to her at the 5th Avenue mile and I had seen here races in college when she won the mile then lost the 1500m outdoors. She was from my old athletic conference America East so I root for the few athletes that make it main stream. Haha actually there was Vin Baker and Malik Rose now Purrier lol so its a short list and I remember them all and Eric Nedeau too he was good but not main stream.

She has a kick like Shelby, I can't wait to see those two go at it over 3000M. I think we can have a new AR there too. All Shalane's records may fall and Slaney's 2000M. Over the summer I saw  a German get a world record in some obscure distance 2000M steeple we should do that too its good for the sport. Gets us excited at least I for one.  JT a few others and I always discuss track and field in here so no worries. Saturday was a great day for track & Field Duplantis WR and Sandi Morris Opening height. Just crazy.

Mikeymike - what's "decent" marathon shape? 10 weeks seems like a long time to improve/build on 59/16.

It's a good question. When I targeted Boston this time last year the plan was to go sub 3, but my training never came together the 2nd half of 2019 for a variety of reasons most of which involve real life (not anything related to running). By the holidays I was about as out of shape as I've been in over a decade. 10 weeks would be plenty if I had a year of decent mileage under me and wasn't 8-10 pounds over acceptable racing weight and 16-18 lbs over PR racing weight. At this point I'm just using Boston as a motivator to become a runner again and my main goal will be to come out of it healthy.

Runners run