2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Cyberic

Fartleks, not everybody has the same definition, thus the confusion. To some people Fartleks are what Brew was describing: going fast (or faster) from a given point to another, that can be landmarks, or whatever.

A good runner I know, he's French, and to him Intervals are determined by distance and Fartleks by time. So to him 6 x (3 minutes/ 2 minutes) is a Fartlek workout, even though it is as structured and hard as 6 x (800m/400m) which he calls intervals. Those two workouts are pretty much equivalent for someone of my abilities.

I think that the Moneghetti Fartleks are probably called Fartleks because the workout is structured by time as opposed to distance.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Fartleks, not everybody has the same definition, thus the confusion. To some people Fartleks are what Brew was describing: going fast (or faster) from a given point to another, that can be landmarks, or whatever.

A good runner I know, he's French, and to him Intervals are determined by distance and Fartleks by time. So to him 6 x (3 minutes/ 2 minutes) is a Fartlek workout, even though it is as structured and hard as 6 x (800m/400m) which he calls intervals. Those two workouts are pretty much equivalent for someone of my abilities.

I think that the Moneghetti Fartleks are probably called Fartleks because the workout is structured by time as opposed to distance.

I’m surprised that you’re giving an opiion about anything.

We need to wait and hear what Slammin has got to say about fartleks....simply because he’s awesome.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Cyberic

I'm full of surprises like that.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I'm full of surprises like that.

We need more surprises from you every week. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Andres1045

Thanks for the clarification, I’m sorry Andres, make the most of Boston while you can because it ain’t going to happen for you when you’re 50yo. 

It's cool; I can just aim for NYC. They let you in with a half time, so it's significantly easier. I like that marathon a little more anyway. And I've always assumed Boston will forever require a 3:10 qualifying time for me. When I started running marathons almost 20 years ago, it was 3:10. Every time I gain an extra five minutes, they knock off 5 minutes. So now at 40, nearly 20 years later it's...3:10.

I'm excited to see what you do in the half! I expect you to surprise yourself and stay with the group the whole time.

CK - Seems like a hard task, but I guess could be something fun and different. I assume you'd want to be in lowish 2:50's shape to be able to run 26.2 at sub 3 and have anything at all left for another 5 or so miles. That what you're thinking?

Upcoming races: Boston

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I’m guilty if never doing fartleks....but I’ve done 50/50 easy/hard 800m on the treadmill when I’m getting back into quality stuff again.

I’m proud to say that I never go into the deadzone during any runs. 💀

Only time I've ever done a Fartlek is during base training when I'm bored out of my mind just doing easy running and I add in some random faster running. I've always thought of Fartleks as unstructured  which is why the Moneghetti always surprised me that it was considered one, but who really cares, this is just semantics.

Oh and Mikkey - I've seen plenty of runs from you in the DZ, don't you try to fool the people!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It's cool; I can just aim for NYC. They let you in with a half time, so it's significantly easier. I like that marathon a little more anyway. And I've always assumed Boston will forever require a 3:10 qualifying time for me. When I started running marathons almost 20 years ago, it was 3:10. Every time I gain an extra five minutes, they knock off 5 minutes. So now at 40, nearly 20 years later it's...3:10.

I would love to go back to NYC again as that was easily my favourite destination marathon/city! ...a complete contrast to London vibe imo.  I’m hoping that Boston won’t disappoint either. 

M_M_C

Fartleks are time based, intervals are distance based

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

CalBears

I would love to go back to NYC again as that was easily my favourite destination marathon/city! ...a complete contrast to London vibe imo.  I’m hoping that Boston won’t disappoint either. 

No worries my friend! You will like Boston's vibe and I am sure you will have great experience, especially when you meet ton of people whom you knew only as forumites. Though, there will be one thing that definitely will disappoint you and that thing will be your defeat on the running field by the Russian force.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

No worries my friend! You will like Boston's vibe and I am sure you will have great experience, especially when you meet ton of people whom you knew only as forumites. Though, there will be one thing that definitely will disappoint you and that thing will be your defeat on the running field by the Russian force.

I have already got a Boston hotel lined up for 2021 and will be making sure that they have sufficient champagne supplies for me to consume after my amazing sub 2:50 victory over the Russian,

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

We do something similar with our athletes on a consistent basis.  The rest paces are not easy and they will typically end up around 4 miles in a little over 20 minutes for some of the male athletes I coach.  This can vary quite a bit.  We usually pick a grassy park to do this in.  With a group of 6-8 the slower runners are encouraged to take tighter corners to stay with the group and sometimes follow the same patterns as the top runners to challenge themselves. I run in between keeping tabs on them.

I love that you say on a consistent basis. I do Fartleks every week.  The only time I skip is if racing the weekend and I switch between a lazy Becky Mona or a Beck Burn bracket for taper. I love the Aussie system of consistent repetitive training so my system trains runners ad nauseam at distances and Fartleks that are measurable and consistent. As they get stronger we do progression loading to keep effort in line with development.

One of my High schoolers made States has run 4 consecutive 3200M PRs. I hope he PRs at state, No shot at winning, butt a good butt kicking will entice him to a summer of Stotan training.  Instead of training all summer he shows up for a few weeks, then disappears to all these paid running camps where he does shit but socialize. Then expects me to spend cross country season getting him back to where he was the year before if he had an inkling of Stotan fire he could Podium at states as a senior. If by chance he does a 5AM workout, I say go home sleep, he instead plays video games till his belly rumbles for lunch. Where is the desire? He has to be led,  not self motivated, I cringe, in HS I wanted to be a national champion and to make junior Pan Am games and get a full ride and I worked hard all without direction.

Tomorrow we do Aussie or Deek quarters. Which feel like a Fartlek  more so than an interval effort

5k effort 400M with a Marathon effort 200M float.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Only time I've ever done a Fartlek is during base training when I'm bored out of my mind just doing easy running and I add in some random faster running. I've always thought of Fartleks as unstructured  which is why the Moneghetti always surprised me that it was considered one, but who really cares, this is just semantics.

Oh and Mikkey - I've seen plenty of runs from you in the DZ, don't you try to fool the people!

BRO, have you even been paying attention to the thread this year? Semantics is all it has been ABOUT! How are you feeling with all the training so far?

Cyberic Intersting take for the French runner to say distance and time changes the workout. I guess my 2.5 hour long run would be a pretty big fartlek. Would 2x13.1 be an interval to him? I sometimes tell friends to switch to a time workout just to break up the distance focus. Sometimes it's easier mentally just to run for 3 minutes instead of those two laps, or the same point-to-point. I also try and vary my starting points on runs for speed work just so I don't get mentally defeated when I see how far the finish line is.

Andres Doesn't NYC limit the number of non-NYRR half marathons they accept? Any idea how many people they accept?  I've considered making TCS my next goal marathon only because I could focus on the half and mentally it takes half as much training as a full marathon cycle. Plus I could maybe run more halfs in a year vs fulls.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

We need to wait and hear what Slammin has got to say about fartleks....simply because he’s awesome.

I will take your bait but I am not awesome never claim to be. What I am is consistent. Consistency in training means you will have good range.  As I've said a million times. I was told I was useless because I was decent at all distances. Just not good at any particular distance.

They're are way faster people here than I am look down under to Mark  or to the Midwest  like Madison.

All way more awesome than I could never hope.  I have no desire to be awesome I just like upsetting the fucking apple cart on race days.

Also my early days on Runners world were spent in the Mile/5K Racing Forums when I came into the sub 3 group I got into a lot of disputes because I felt like the majority of people did it wrong starting with the biggest distance first so I remain opinionated about the way a majority of runners go about marathon training.

Get fast First

My only lay off was 2015 for an injury (Achilles tendonitis) that never really went away during 7 months time I took off. I suspect I will be out again in 2023 if history repeats itself.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I will take your bait but I am not awesome never claim to be. What I am is consistent. Consisntecy in training means you will have good range.  As I've said a milion times. I was told I was useless because I was decent at all distances. Just not good at any particular distance.

They're are way faster people here than I am look down under to Mark  or to the Midwest  like Madison.

All way more awesome than I could never hope.  i have no desire to be awesome I just like upsetting the fucking apple cart on race days.

You can take the bait as much as you like. Your posts towards Cal last month were fucking pathetic and you went from 10 to zero in my book.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

You can take the bait as much as you like. Your posts towards Cal last month were fucking pathetic and you went from 10 to zero in my book.

You're still always an 11 in my book.