2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Yes, and now you are making me feel guilty for not having the next story done yet.

I forgot that it's not obvious to paste a non-internet photo here - imagine a picture of SeattleMax and BrewingRunner crossing a finish line together.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Ah, but there's always the profile picture...

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yes, and now you are making me feel guilty for not having the next story done yet.

I forgot that it's not obvious to paste a non-internet photo here - imagine a picture of SeattleMax and BrewingRunner crossing a finish line together.

Eh, I kind of have an idea how that one ends now. I’m just glad you’re checking in and writing stories again. I assumed you were either in a dark place, or really busy coaching. Feel more guilty for making me wonder how well my shoes will drain when my races are in the desert or on pavement. Also for never getting your belt from Canyons 100K after I, and EJ, TOLD YOU TO CONTACT THE RACE DIRECTOR.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Pain in the butt logistics, crowded, and tough... I can't recommend it (other than NY scenery and crowd support)But if you give it a go, I'll have a "Bronx cheer" waiting!

What is not to like about a free boat trip to Staten Island?  And I got a lovely Dunkin donut hat at the village.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The logistics are indeed a pain, but so is Boston, and I've never really heard people say "nah don't even bother with Boston, the logistics are too tough." I've run the race 3 times and never found crowding to be a problem. Granted, two of those times were sub 3 so I recognize that the 3:30+ crowd is probably not having the same experience. But if you can run sub 3 and you're okay being 2-3 minutes slower than a perfect course, you should run it at least once in your life.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Andres1045

The logistics are indeed a pain, but so is Boston, and I've never really heard people say "nah don't even bother with Boston, the logistics are too tough." I've run the race 3 times and never found crowding to be a problem. Granted, two of those times were sub 3 so I recognize that the 3:30+ crowd is probably not having the same experience. But if you can run sub 3 and you're okay being 2-3 minutes slower than a perfect course, you should run it at least once in your life.

I agree that both are certainly worth doing. Like we've discussed many times, Boston in theory is a much faster course. But even if you do it right and are prepared for it, the weather has a greater chance of sucking. So I'd say the odds can be better that you'll have a faster time in NY, despite the course not being a perfect PR course. But I disagree with the idea that Boston logistics are equally bad. I've never been bothered by them, and in fact, actually enjoy that part. As long as you're staying close to the finish, it's usually quite easy to make your way to the finish, meet up with your friends, and all get on a bus ride to the village. The bus seems to be set as far as how long it takes to get there, and getting off and in to the village is rather easy.

NY on the other hand, if you stay near the finish, you take a taxi to the library or the ferry (I really like the ferry, so that's usually like a 20min ride down there). Then you wait in a huge crowd to get on to the ferry which takes 30min. Then you take a bus in Staten Island which ends up taking an hour even though you're traveling like 2miles. Then when you finish NY, you have to meander your way north in the Park in a big crowd, to be dumped out somewhere where you have to then walk down south again for another mile or 2 before you get somewhere to take a cab or the subway. Maybe I just did something wrong the couple of times I've run NY, but I found the logistics to be a pain. But the race itself, with the crowd and the sights, is so much fun that it easily makes up for all of that. I'm currently waiting to see if I get in for this year's race...

Mikkey - I don't mind London, but it's rather far down on the list of places I'd choose to visit in my free time (almost all of my trips have been tied to work). Yeah, I find the people can be rude, but same in NY. I guess I expect that generally from both of those places, so it never really bothered me. I do think London more pedestrian friendly than NY! And I could see how the marathon is great. I've absolutely loved that Royal Parks half we did. Could be because the weather was perfect the three times I ran it. But also Hyde Park is quite awesome.

Brew - I went in to Boston thinking I'd like it, and walked away enjoying it even more than I expected. You'll love Boston too, even if a Russian punches you in the mouth on the start line.

Upcoming races: Boston

darkwave

Mother of Cats

In the DC area, I think most people I know gravitate to Boston over NYC for a few reasons.

1) if you want to run a decent-sized to large spring marathon without major travel, Boston is really your best option.  The other choices are fairly small races like Shamrock, Myrtle Beach, Illinois, Vermont City, New Jersey, Flying Pig.  Or you can go even smaller with One City (like I'm doing).  Or do RNR USA in DC, which is an awful full marathon.    None of these spring marathon choices are screaming opportunities to run fast if you are someone under 3 hours - either because the course is hilly, the race has little depth at that level, or weather is a risk.

[I'm not counting Houston or Grandma's because those aren't really "spring" marathons]

In contrast, in the fall NYC competes against Indy, Philly, Richmond, Chicago, all of which are great choices for running fast if you are a 2:5x runner or faster.    Plus the smaller races like Mohawk-Hudson, Steamtown, Wineglass.

So..there's less trade-offs to choosing Boston as a spring marathon than NYC as a fall marathon.

2) If you are safely under the BQ standard, then it's much easier to enter Boston - you just enter.  To enter NYC, you have to grab one of the time qualifier spots (which went very quickly this year) or go through the lottery.  A lot more uncertainty there.

Logistically (I've never done NYC), it seems like the two races are equivalent.  For me, they're equally easy to travel to, and hotels for both are going to be very expensive.  Both are a pain to get to the starting line, and you have to sit outside for a while once you're there (unless you get into NYC's sub-elite program, which earns you a slot at a Staten Island gym)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

What is not to like about a free boat trip to Staten Island?  And I got a lovely Dunkin donut hat at the village.

I hear there is a boat at Rikers Island that also has a bus ride to get to it. It's like Boston AND NYM all rolled up into one. They might not have donuts, but I'm sure they have some other "nutrition" available that might not be WADA approved.  I plan on JMac showing me this spot if I ever visit.  Before they sink it.

What are the logistical problems with Boston? From the outside looking in a 10am marathon seems easier, or similar, to a 7am marathon in Sacramento or Las Vegas where you hop on a bus in the morning for a long ride to the start, hope you didn't forget anything, and keep your phone on you during the race so you can meet up with people after, or have a designated meeting spot. Chicago logistics seemed REALLY simple. Start and end at the same spot with a visitors area already setup.

Andres I'll just train REALLY hard and wear some of these to keep him away.  I might even bring out some white new balance shoes from Costco with grass stains just to combat the carbon (fiber) footprint of those around me.

DWave I think I'll just run a marathon in Oklahoma if I wanted to do something in April. Pretty flat, and the lack of depth of field would mean more time to think about stuff I'd write in my story. Unfortunately they have some sub 2:30 runners out there so the front page article coverage in the local paper isn't going to happen. There is always "Mount Marathon" in July. Travel logistics involve a plane ride, then getting to a small town. Half of the course is downhill. Oh and it isn't a BQ and the distance is a little shy of 26.2.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

(peeks quickly through the door to see if he knows anyone)

Don't do it.  It's a trap!

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

What are the logistical problems with Boston? From the outside looking in a 10am marathon seems easier, or similar, to a 7am marathon in Sacramento or Las Vegas where you hop on a bus in the morning for a long ride to the start, hope you didn't forget anything, and keep your phone on you during the race so you can meet up with people after, or have a designated meeting spot. Chicago logistics seemed REALLY simple. Start and end at the same spot with a visitors area already setup.

You have to get up much earlier to get to the Boston start than you do for CIM.  And you sit outside at Boston for at least 45 minutes to an hour, instead in warm running vans.

Don't underestimate how much that takes out of you.

Also, bag check at Boston is BEFORE you get on the buses, not at the start.  Anything you take to the start you either leave there or carry with you.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

You have to get up much earlier to get to the Boston start than you do for CIM.  And you sit outside at Boston for at least 45 minutes to an hour, instead in warm running vans.

Don't underestimate how much that takes out of you.

Also, bag check at Boston is BEFORE you get on the buses, not at the start.  Anything you take to the start you either leave there or carry with you.

Why is CIM such a horrible marathon again? Oh because it's so downhill and you can cherry pick the weather. 

I'm almost at a "one and done" officially and I haven't even started training. It's all my Strava feed is talking about too. "That time I wasn't running the Boston Marathon and everyone I didn't know WAS." sheesh. Glad I switched to ultra marathons in 2020. Make Distance Running Far Again.

VDOT 53.37 

Andres1045

Glad I switched to ultra marathons in 2020. Make Distance Running Far Again.

Wait, you're unfulfilled too?

Upcoming races: Boston

Speed Surplus

I didn't realize you could qualify for NYC with a half. My qualifying time appears to be 1:25:00... I am racing a fast half in March in the Varpoflies and my current PR is 1:28:12... *gears churning* ... Maybe I'll target 1:24:59...

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

pepperjack

pie man

I'm wondering if they lower the NYC times back to where they used to be with the way times are improving.

There's a nice city ultra in Philadelphia called the Dirty German.  50k and 50m options, big loops in Pennypack park.  Entirely within city limits and 95% on trails.  Fun German-themed awards.  I recommend.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Wait, you're unfulfilled too?

I swear you're always starting some nonsense to get me in trouble. (hobby jogger, dead-zone quips)

What about the positives? Why do you only see the negatives?

Somewhere in there was "Running doesn't just change your body, it also changes your mind, your attitude and your mood. Running makes worries disappear."

What about that for a discussion point.  I listened to a podcast of a girl whose knee was killing her and her singular dream was to OTQ. even injured she ran CIM expecting a miracle.  The knee blows up and she spends two hours crying on a podcast with stories about how meaningless her life was because she missed her goal and she couldn't run. Doubly meaningless and I know this girl from city races and I'm like you have so much going a large following on Insta "why are you behaving like that"???.

Running matters, when I have friends that can't run. They too go into depths of despair. I for one get the meaning running adds to your life. I just limit it to a certain distance and time and right now that's 31 miles or 4 hours. When I cant run I'm often relieved and most worried about how fat will I get and how long it will take to get back in shape. But I enjoy the longer sleeps and carefree weekends when I'm injured because I know its a temporary reprieve. Injuries heal and we get back to what we love.

Catch me outside running...

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.