2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

OMR - good luck and have a great one!

Smax - good to see you around these parts - it's been too long!

Ace - good to see you back on the road as well.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Thanks, Dwave.

Ace:  Good to see you're back at it.

I, too, like to check out on runs, and it is sometimes a great time to just let things settle in the mind...and the older I get, the longer I want to be checked out, and the more time I need to let things settle.

OMR - hope you're having a good day out there.  100K I can't even imagine.  Looking forward to the postmortem!

CalBears

I probably finished with my week. In addition to hamstring discomfort during Thursday workout (and getting slower by 10 seconds every workout mile) I finally got sick and started coughing a lot the same Thursday. I guess it's a communication from my body about some pause in my training.

Mon - 11.2 @9:26

Tue - 13.2 @8:3 with 3x2 @LT effort (6:17, 6:20, 6:18)

Wed - 11.2 @9:04

Thu - 11:2 @7:54 with 6@MP effort (started @6:31, ended @7:03) cut short due to hamstring

Fri-Sun - off

Total: 47 miles

Next week probably no workouts to recover from hamstring issue, slow running usually makes the trick

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Marky_Mark_17

Calbears - doh, get well soon.

Me - a good week and the first 100km+ week of the year.  Legs felt strong but still a little sluggish to start the week, but I finished the week with a good track session, and a fun 29km long run this morning with a good group including Mark Boyce and Karen Donaldson-Barron who is one of the top female half-marathoners around Auckland.  It was nice to have some company and a bit of running banter, makes the miles go by a lot quicker.

Friday's run was also a good reminder of the value of a good recovery run, I was able to smash Saturday's track session and felt WAY better than if I'd just taken the day off running altogether.

M: 15.4km easy

T: 16.8km with progressive intervals

W: day off due to work travel

T: 21km incl. 4 x 8 min @MP

F: weights, 5km recovery

S: 13.2km track session (2 x 1600, 4 x 200, 2 x 1600)

S: 29.1km long run

Total: 100.5km (62.4 miles)

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Next week probably no workouts to recover from hamstring issue, slow running usually makes the trick

My experience with a hamstring injury is to be VERY cautious and not assume that you’re 100% as soon as there’s no discomfort. You’re an unfulfilled ultra runner by nature, so I’m sure you’ll be fine with a few weeks of jogging and no fast workouts. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Are you doing all the dynamic stretching and foam rolling to keep tha hamstring healthy and loose?

I probably finished with my week. In addition to hamstring discomfort during Thursday workout (and getting slower by 10 seconds every workout mile) I finally got sick and started coughing a lot the same Thursday. I guess it's a communication from my body about some pause in my training.

Mon - 11.2 @9:26

Tue - 13.2 @8:3 with 3x2 @LT effort (6:17, 6:20, 6:18)

Wed - 11.2 @9:04

Thu - 11:2 @7:54 with 6@MP effort (started @6:31, ended @7:03) cut short due to hamstring

Fri-Sun - off

Total: 47 miles

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Mark- that is part of my run every day thing. I need some moving of joints and muscles daily or I get stiff and the day after is rough. Healthy amounts of foam rolling too.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Andres1045

Cal - I know you've been here before, and you know how to get out of it. But I'll share this anyway. My hamstring issue that I had for three plus years turned out to not really be a hamstring issue. It was a psoas one, and the trick was fixing tight hips. If nice and easy running fixes that, you should be good. But you could also try some stretching for the hips to see if it helps. Strengthening and stretching the hamstring for years did nothing.

Mark - really nice LR with some great elevation.

Upcoming races: Boston

CalBears

Marky - thanks! Good mileage!

DPS - no, I've never done any dynamic stretching and very little foam rolling.

Mikkey - yep, running without workouts means I can run more! (as soon as I get rid of the sickness)

Andres - yes, I've almost exact "injury" like this the year I ran 2:51 at CIM (in 2014, I think?) - as a result I did very few workouts (still I had some) but ran like 80-90 mpw, mostly slow. I didn't do any hip exercises before, I can google obviously, but you can direct me to some you think were useful for you?

OMR - waiting for a report!

Update: looks like hard day in the office - OMR finished in 15Tight lippedx hours - I ran one of those (Max should remember that Miwok 100K where he was faster than me by 5 minutes ) in 2018. I was swearing the whole race - I was so undertrained it was a pain to run after mile 10 I think...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Cal: Sorry to hear about the hamstring but I think you know exactly how to recover from it if you had a similar thing before. If you can still get easy miles in then it won't make much impact in your training.

Marky: Nice mileage and excellent track workout! I may try what you suggest about an easy recovery day; usually I always just take Mondays off from running but maybe just a very easy short run would be beneficial.

OMR: Hope the 100k went well; I'm interested to hear about it.

My week: 3 runs on the treadmill and 3 outside. I am reaching the point where my tolerance for the cold and dark of winter is pretty much gone so am tending more towards the mill for the weekdays runs. This was a second week over 70 miles and I'm starting to feel it; also had a couple of middle of the night telecons with colleagues in Europe for work and sleep was not great as a result. Next week will be a needed cutback in mileage, with a race at the end of the week in place of the long run.

Mon: strength

Tue: 12 on the TM w/ 5 x 1 mile (6:19 down to 5:58), 2 min recovery

Wed: 12 @ 8:30

Thu: 7 on the TM @ 8:37

Fri: 12 on the TM @ 8:10

Sat: 8.7 @ 9:29 on trails

Sun: 20 @ 7:55

total: 71.7 miles

2:52:16 (2018)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

JT Nice week getting stronger buddy.

OMR - So how did it go.

MarkyMark - That's a nice workout. I love when you can ripp a workout. The feels are amazing.

My week was ok spent whole week in Infinity Runs what a great shoe.

Many miles invested in getting my TRex "wrexx n effexx" on using the road medians as my masking tape. My claws hurt from toeing off think this raptor is getting an onion bunion. Ouch. Otherwise great week.

B
                          Date ▼ Activity Course Type Distance Duration Pace Actions
                          2/16/2020 Run

🦖 28 mi TRex Running FUM&C 🦖

Long 28.0 mi 3:21:19 7:12
                          2/15/2020 Run

17mi Easy with a canter and a trot 🐎 🐴

Long 17.6 mi 2:31:24 8:38
                          2/14/2020 Run

10 Miles Stotan Tempo Or Dead Zone Frolicing???

Tempo 10.0 mi 1:10:15 7:02
                          2/13/2020 Run

10 Miles with Deek Quarters

Fartlek 9.6 mi 1:26:27 9:00
                          2/12/2020 Run

8 Miles easy on bike path w/ Oscar (got dropped)

Easy 8.1 mi 1:04:27 8:01
                          2/12/2020 Run

Kelly_s_SendOff_Gonna_miss_the_pitter_patter_of_feet_

Easy 10.0 mi 1:33:15 9:19
                          2/11/2020 Run

Easy_evening_run_with_Oscar_2x_pushes

Interval 9.3 mi 1:18:14 8:27
                          2/11/2020 Run

2x 2mi 🦚 Make up for lack of WU &CD

Interval 4.2 mi 29:23 7:02
                          2/11/2020 Run

3x 2mi Pacing my group Stronger Together 🦚

Interval 6.7 mi 47:22 7:07
                          2/10/2020 Run

7 Miles easy on bike path w/ Bobby

Easy 7.2 mi 1:06:19 9:12

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

OMR

A brief summary of the Black Canyon 100K.  (I have a relative who enjoys reading longer reports from me, so I always type those up and post them on a blog.  I’ll share that when it’s finished for anyone who cares to read it.)

Finishing time:  15:16:40.  cal, I think one of the reasons BC has a 17-hour cutoff is because of the technical aspects of the trail.  I don’t think that completely makes up for the elevation of a course like Quicksilver, but it does require a lot of technical skill, running over miles and miles of rock:  some of it loose, some of it not.  Simply put, I don’t have that skill.  And the quality of the trail changes fairly often, so the time when I could get comfortable in a stride and just cruise along was extremely limited.  While it is largely downhill for the first half, quite a bit of it isn’t “easily runnable” downhill.  And I just don’t really have a way to train for that.  My quads were fine through the first half - I think running downhill on a treadmill helped a lot with that - but my ankles took a beating.

I ran this race back in 2017, which was a very wet year, and the course was altered to an out and back, and also shifted to more jeep road, so I hadn’t seen more than half of the actual course the first time I ran it.  I knew pretty quickly that finishing in the 11th hour was not going to happen.  I was hoping for 13 for a while, but the rocks on the second half of the course just got more and more brutal.  At the end of the day, I think I finished about as quickly as was possible for me given the circumstances.

So, with my WS lottery ticket in hand, I’m looking forward to recovering and getting ready for a fall marathon.  

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Nice Race and report OMR- Unstable footing is my least favorite...but maybe I'm just super sick of winter at this point.

CAL-Doing some of those exercises and some foam rolling has really helped me stay healthy.  Anyway, just a thought.

JT- lots of week day treading for me as well.  I am at the point in the winter where I just want to get the runs done and not be fighting traffic and ice.

NImmals- How are the hips post T-Rex?

Last week of my base building.  Now on to more marathon training with races starting next month.  Two highlights.  The Tempo on Thursday was longer with Marathon pace for 4 and then 1/2 marathon for 2 miles.  Felt really good and my HR didn't get all that high, so I was happy and it felt good to shift down a gear after running marathon pace.  The long run was from my house yesterday and I ran the Get in Gear half marathon (coming in April) which will be tough.  If you look at the elevation profile it is not very nice with a decent up and down in the first 2/3 of the course and then the peak of the race in the last 1/3rd.  Felt pretty comfortable running the hills, but since I didn't have any music or people to run with I slowed a bit at parts as I started thinking about things other than the run and slowed.  Was going to try to keep it up sub 6:50 but averaged 6:53.

83.5 on the week

<colgroup><col width="60" /><col width="73" /><col width="82" /><col width="108" /><col width="461" /></colgroup>
                              M 10-Feb 8.5 1:00:00 60 min easy at 4:50 am
                                  5 0:34:35 w/ 6x 100m strides Lunch
                              Tu 11-Feb 10 1:05:50 8 x 0.5mi @ 5:50-5:55/mi w/ 0.25mi recovery (2mi w/u & 2mi c/d) 4:40 am
                              W 12-Feb 9 1:03:59 9 Easy 4:50 am
                              Th 13-Feb 10.5 1:08:39 4mi @ 6:15, 0.5mi recovery, 2mi @ 6:00 (2mi w/u & 2mi c/d) 5 AM
                              F 14-Feb 9 1:03:23 9 Easy Double 4:40 am tread
                                  4.33 0:29:33 w/ 6x 100m strides Lunch
                              Sa 15-Feb 16.08 1:50:42 Long (moderate effort) Ran the Get In Gear half marathon route+3 miles
                              Su 16-Feb 11 1:18:00 Easy lunch tread

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

OK, jumping in here. 

Hi, I’m Dave, I live in the Seattle area and turn 55 in April. I started this business later in life; I’ve only been running regularly for about 10 years. My first marathon was in 2012, and I’ve now run 12 total. My big deal last year was running my first Boston, after multiple attempts to qualify. The race was pretty brutal, but the trip overall was an amazing experience for me. My PR is 3:22:16, at the Seattle Marathon last December. My upcoming race is the Vancouver (BC) Marathon on May 3rd; goal is sub-3:20. 

My week:

Mon - 8 easy w/10x100m strides

Tue - 10 MLR

Wed - 6 easy

Thu - 9 w/8x800m cruise intervals, 200m recoveries

Fri - 6 easy

Sat - 16 LR

Sun - 5 easy

Total - 60 miles

Comments:

- The intervals were intended to be a bit faster than 10k. The recoveries were shorter than I would normally do, which made it a challenge, but at least it goes by more quickly. I was pretty happy with the results - splits were roughly midway between 5k & 10k, and I had enough left at the end to hammer #8.

- I have always been a solo runner, but just recently started doing LRs with a local running group. It’s a big group so I’ve been able to find people who wanted to run the same distance & pace. It’s pretty nice to have company on LRs, and meet some new people who are happy to talk endlessly about running.

Dave