2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Kram- It can be anything you like.  There is no right or wrong way to do it. most people follow rewrites but the way Steve did it was to attain maximal distance or fastest average pace on/off pace.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DArkwave Nice week you've been racing a lot. What's up with that. I feel like  if I race more frequently its hard to get in the quality of training. How does that affect your decision process.

Confused?  I often race frequently, simply because I believe that racing is a skill that needs to be practiced, and that one does get a training stimulus from racing (albeit a different one from the gains seen from lower intensity training).

However, I actually feel a bit underraced/rusty right now.  Since Richmond in early November, I've raced twice - a 4 miler on NYE as a rust buster, and then Houston Half in mid-January.  If you add in One City on March 1, that will be 3 races in a 15 week period, which seems a bit low for me.  Maybe you have a different view?

[not being contentious - just honestly wondering if you confused me with someone else.]

I really would have liked to have jumped into a 5K last Saturday - when racing a marathon, I like to do either a half-marathon three weeks out or a 5K two weeks out, to get me racing sharp.  But....last Friday night was Valentines day, and I thought that was more important than fitting in another race.  Plus, since this has been such a short cycle, I think I got more out of a 4 mile tempo and a 16 mile long run than a 5K race.

Agreed on bridges sucking.  Army 10 Mile crosses the 14th Street bridge as part of its course.  And what people not from DC don't realize is that the 14th Street bridge is not a single up and down, but rather a perplexing series of rolling hills.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Agreed on bridges sucking.  Army 10 Mile crosses the 14th Street bridge as part of its course.  And what people not from DC don't realize is that the 14th Street bridge is not a single up and down, but rather a perplexing series of rolling hills.

Is there any net elevation drop on this rolling hills 10 mile run?

Wouldn't it have been great if your partner signed you up for the race for a Valentines Day gift?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Spending money $200 on shoes? Psh....I'm trying to buy the front axles cut out of a 30ish year old truck for $1,300. You'd THINK I'd drop $250 on some Vaporflys for my upcoming half marathon but NOPE. I'm sticking with my fly knits. MAYBE for Boston. I predict horrible weather as training weather for my area this year has been excellent. Even if it has been a little windy.

My wife started reading an article about VFs in a magazine yesterday and it mentioned the price at the bottom and she went....DID YOU SERIOUSLY SPEND £240 ON PAIR OF RUNNING SHOES????   Of course not honey, I nicked them at the local running store when the assistant wasn’t looking.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

OMR

Stats on usa marathon trials qualifiers...

https://www.atlanta2020trials.com/qualifier-statistics

Finally had a little time to check this out.  Interesting data...thanks for posting!

Junkyard Brewing Company:  By far one of the best microbreweries I've been to.  Their beer lineup is typically a mix of IPAs, imperial stouts or other dark beers, and sours (yuck, who drinks that?).  Normally not a lot of light, easy drinking lagers.  The two imperial stouts currently in the lineup are 12.4 and 12.7%.  Unique atmosphere, and on clear summer nights, one of the owners brings his high-powered telescopes so that patrons can view the rings of saturn, moons of jupiter, etc.  And they host a summer 5K race.  Great addition to the local beer scene.

The other one (for those thinking about the Fargo Marathon) is Drekker Brewing Company's "Brewhalla."  The tap room is housed in an old railroad shop; unique and very cool building.  A lot more to choose from in comparison to Junkyard.

CalBears

Just saw it on youtube without looking for it actually - 2:54 marathon at age of 70 - so, if you are in your 30s, 40s or 50s and run slower, shame on you all !!!

2:54 marathon at the age of 70

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Cyberic

Just saw it on youtube without looking for it actually - 2:54 marathon at age of 70 - so, if you are in your 30s, 40s or 50s and run slower, shame on you all !!!

Just great! Now I won't be able to look people in the eyes anymore.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

That must be the definition of racing yourself into shape!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

It doesn't count.

How stupid. "Since the race doesn't pay us money your record doesn't count." At least his shoes were approved.

The Jacksonville course was certified by USA Track & Field (USATF), the sport’s governing body, to ensure its accuracy. But the race was not sanctioned by USATF. For a race to be sanctioned, the race pays a fee to USATF, agrees to abide by national and international rules of competition, and holds liability insurance through the governing body. According to USATF, only races that are both sanctioned and certified are eligible for national and age-group records.

I like Gene's answer. "I should have done my homework" as it is the number one reason I didn't run a local marathon. They'd never tell me if the race was a qualifier anymore. They never announced their certification was expired. They'd changed the course to a 2 lap course, it ended up being under 26 miles, and I didn't want to risk running a marathon to be told it didn't count.  Also, kudos to him for not really caring about being the record holder. I'd probably take the same approach at 70 years old after having run a 2:54.

Here is probably the next person to do it.

http://fredzalokar.com/run/

It would be an honor to me if I could keep up with Fred.

OMR Berlinner Weisse. One of my personal favorites was The Burery Hottenroth. It's like putting shock tarts into coors light. Yeah I know how disgusting that sounds. They're unflavored shock tarts. It's awesome. IPAs (eyeroll emoji) I'll never forget someone asking "what IPAs you have" and hearing "Sierra Nevada" I laughed when they ordered it. It isn't an IPA. It is like asking how far your marathon was and hearing "6.2 miles." Ah so you just don't know wtf you're talking about? Got it. hash tag beer snob.

Mikkey How do you think I'm going to explain buying more jeep parts that actually need MORE money spent on them to make them better and explaining "this is SAVING money because I'm only doing it once instead of once now and once again later on when it breaks."? I just remembered I never purchased a wedding band for her either. Maybe I should do so.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It doesn't count.

How stupid. "Since the race doesn't pay us money your record doesn't count." At least his shoes were approved.

I like Gene's answer. "I should have done my homework" as it is the number one reason I didn't run a local marathon. They'd never tell me if the race was a qualifier anymore. They never announced their certification was expired. They'd changed the course to a 2 lap course, it ended up being under 26 miles, and I didn't want to risk running a marathon to be told it didn't count.  Also, kudos to him for not really caring about being the record holder. I'd probably take the same approach at 70 years old after having run a 2:54.

This can be an issue for OTQing.  You can run the OTQ standard on a certified course with the allowable net drop, but if the races isn't sanctioned by USATF or another acceptable body, you're not in.

I had a friend who was going to run Eugene last year to try to get an OTQ.   5 days before the marathon, Eugene still wasn't sanctioned - it was "in progress" - so she rerouted to another marathon.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

This can be an issue for OTQing.  You can run the OTQ standard on a certified course with the allowable net drop, but if the races isn't sanctioned by USATF or another acceptable body, you're not in.

I had a friend who was going to run Eugene last year to try to get an OTQ.   5 days before the marathon, Eugene still wasn't sanctioned - it was "in progress" - so she rerouted to another marathon.

Rules are rules. It sucks when rules are enforced equally to everyone regardless of the age/race/gender/proximity to the race course/finances/etc. instead of just letting people hold records or qualify because they met the time qualification standard. 2:18:00*

*Must be run a USATF Sanctioned Course.

I guess I just don't agree with the rule when it is just written for the benefit of an organization. I say this as someone who will never be able to run the OTQ standard, or provide enough work hours to the USATF to get to a position to make a change. I also think it is about as bad as running a Boston qualifier.

keen you getting ready  for next week? Big day coming up.

VDOT 53.37 

Maybe because they had to change the course last year? It has always finished on the track at Hayward Field, but then it went under construction so they had to re-route. I imagine there is a lot of bureaucracy involved in the sanctioning - probably frustrating for the race organizers too. But it’s crazy that it wasn’t resolved much sooner - either get it done, or state well in advance that it’s not going to happen in time. I guess if you’re putting on a race for a large number of participants, it’s a very tiny portion of them who care about this, so maybe not a priority. Eugene’s a good race though, I recommend it. 

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yep, love his attitude in that it was the pursuit of beating the record being more important. He knows he’s the rightful record holder even if it’s not recognised.  I’m wondering how important his coach is....it must be hard to coach someone who’s motto is “just run” and insists on racing that much. 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Just in case folks forgot, Keen is racing this weekend. Best of luck!!! I can't wait to see how this strategy of going for sub 3 at the marathon mark and then struggling home for 50K works.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Isn't it next weekend?  I thought his race was the same day as mine.