2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CalBears

He always came after me I have to light him up real good and he backs off but not before I have to take tings to a serious level.

You guys play the daily passive aggressive bullshit. Homey don't play that when I've had enough I'm dropping a MOAB B, so you keep the lil digs coming. Little dog droppings still make for a shitty front yard.

OMG... You are funny little curly lady man with huge ego who thinks people really pay attention to everything you are spontaneously exerting. You really think those things - well... continue the pipe dreaming. Just keep in mind that some people trying not to be involved with you just to avoid getting dirty. So, keep dropping and taking things to a serious level... You are so good at it  

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Cyberic- So Glad you liked the Aussie “Deek” Quarters a great workout. Your float was appropriate for the 400m pace. I found Aussie quarters tough and to run that fast on a square track. I give you huge Kudos. My feet are a source of constant pain so I’m glad no squares for me. When you get to do them in the track you’ll fall in love with them all over.

Another fun workout I assign is Beck’s Burn Bracket. Kevin was an old forum member.  It’s mostly a taper workout for me but also a cool fast workout to knockout in in a short schedule. It’s an 800/1.5mi/800 with a min standing recovery don’t jog it trust me you’ll need the standing. 800 @ same as the Aussie (slightly faster than 5k) and 1.5 at Marathon (hmp) is possible but makes it harder no longer a taper at HMP.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Cyberic

Cyberic- So Glad you liked the Aussie “Deek” Quarters a great workout. Your float was appropriate for the 400m pace. I found Aussie quarters tough and to run that fast on a square track. I give you huge Kudos. My feet are a source of constant pain so I’m glad no squares for me. When you get to do them in the track you’ll fall in love with them all over.

Another fun workout I assign is Beck’s Burn Bracket. Kevin was an old forum member.  It’s mostly a taper workout for me but also a cool fast workout to knockout in in a short schedule. It’s an 800/1.5mi/800 with a min standing recovery don’t jog it trust me you’ll need the standing. 800 @ same as the Aussie (slightly faster than 5k) and 1.5 at Marathon (hmp) is possible but makes it harder no longer a taper at HMP.

The track is square, but it does have somewhat rounded corners. 2 of them are rather sharp (far corner on the pic), and two are rounded more smoothly (corner from which the pic was taken). Also during lunch break, there's really not many people on the track, sometimes I'm alone, and most of the time there's 3 to 4 people total, so I can smoothe the corners a bit by entering from the outside lane, cutting through the inside lane and exiting again in the outside lane.  Once in a while I have to pass someone in a corner, so it's tougher then, but it's typically 2 to 5 times in a whole lunch break.

I might give the Beck’s Burn Bracket a shot sometime, but I might also stick with the Deeks. I find the structure of the quarters more appealing, for some reason. But having more options is always fun, so thanks for the suggestion.

Cyberic, how long is that track? My son had an indoor track meet last year on one like that and it was the team's least favorite meet. But the track was at least much longer than a typical indoor track; it was 400 meters instead of 200 or less, so they did not need to navigate those sharp turns as many times. I think it would have been fine for running workouts; racing fast not so much.

2:52:16 (2018)

Cyberic

Cyberic, how long is that track? My son had an indoor track meet last year on one like that and it was the team's least favorite meet. But the track was at least much longer than a typical indoor track; it was 400 meters instead of 200 or less, so they did not need to navigate those sharp turns as many times. I think it would have been fine for running workouts; racing fast not so much.

The track is either 190 or 192m, depending on who you ask. Definitely not a favorite amongst faster runners, but it's convenient for me. I whine about it but I still prefer it to the TM.

.....I’ll be watching one of my all time sport hero’s with a few mates ....TYSON FURY.  

How does he keep his testosterone levels up so high???

I'm rooting for him too, but I think he'll lose.  .... unless he shows up in Alphaflys!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Question for the forum - who is buying the Alphafly when they come out?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I'll like get new balance version since they are mostly all I wear. They are coming out mid next month.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Well, if I go, I'll go big.

Why waste $$$ on the 4% or 5%?... go for the 6%!

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - not me.  Got a couple of spare pairs of Next%'s in case they got banned, so the Ministry of Wife is unlikely to provide budgetary approval for any more expensive shoes in the near future.

Me- solid week and had fun at the 10k race at Hobsonville Pt this morning (34:13 - course may have been fractionally long I think but near enough).  It wasn't a goal race but still a good rust-buster and I was pleased with the time on what is not a particularly quick course with a number of undulations.  There was not a lot of competition in the 10k so the focus was really on trying to dig deep and push hard through the second lap - definitely accomplished this with a 17:22 / 16:51 split including km 10 at 3:07 which was on one of the slower parts of the course.  Every single km in the second lap was faster than the corresponding one in the first lap, so I guess with the lack of taper it may have just taken a bit of time to warm up to the pace!

M: weights, 5km recovery

T: 15.3km with hill repeats

W: 16.1km easy

T: 17.2km incl. 40 min @ MP

F: weights

S: 10.5km track session

S: 16.4km incl. Run the Point 10km (34:31)

Total: 80.7km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

cinnamon girl

To what end?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

How does he keep his testosterone levels up so high???

I'm rooting for him too, but I think he'll lose.  .... unless he shows up in Alphaflys!

He calls it the “hands on” method.      The Gypsy King is back on the throne. 🥊

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

OMR

Brew:  Yeah, admittedly the shock tart/Coors light combo doesn't sound all that good, but I'll take your word for it.  I enjoyed max's WS blog, and his recounting of the last 40 miles with you.

Cyberic:  Wow, I can't imagine running intervals on that track, but at the same time, having access to it is definitely a plus.

Marky Mark:  Nice time for a rust buster 10K.

Recovery week for me:  10.9 miles in four runs.  Things are feeling pretty good, so bumping the mileage up a notch this week.  If you're interested, recap of the Black Canyon 100K is finished and can be found here.

cinnamon girl

OMR! Enjoyed your report! Love the pics! It definitely does look like a beautiful place to run (other than all those rocks underfoot). I  can only imagine that you've left some thoughts out of your report though. Stuff that goes through one's head when they're out running for so long, alone, and in the dark. Or maybe it's trance, hypnosis like which is therapeutic too. Hope it was a good trip! Logistics and statistics are far from as interesting. Twin Cities - I love that course. And thank you for your service in Education. 

I'll like get new balance version since they are mostly all I wear. They are coming out mid next month.

The Brooks version also comes out in the next week, with the same $250 price tag as the Nikes. They are supposedly based on the shoes Des Linden wore to win Boston in 2018. I’ve seen a couple early reviews - one said they were amazing, the other said they were useless. Incidentally, Brooks is coming right out and saying they are only good for 50-100 miles. I‘ve pretty much always worn Brooks, but that would be a dealbreaker for me if I were considering spending the money, which I’m not.

Dave