2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Hello, all!

Kyle here. 35 years old and from flyover country (Oklahoma) USA. Married (10 years in March) with 3 daughters (ages 2, 5, 8). I'm an adult-onset runner, starting in July 2015. I jumped in to running headfirst after doing a 5k with my wife's family and discovered I loved it and wondered just how fast I could end up getting at the distance (but got sidetracked and ended up running longer stuff).

Last year was quite good once I recovered from some sicknesses lingering in the beginning of the year - I was able to put up big miles for several months which lead to a very nice HM PR. My attempt at a sub-3 marathon was thwarted by a stomach bug hitting mid-race (children are germ magnets!). That derailed my plans for running some ultras in 2020, but getting a sub-3 marathon is definitely on the docket for the coming year. Likely seeing how far I can drop my HM PR is as well, since I know I left some time on the course. Aside from that, I want to avoid injury again this year (avoiding sickness is probably impossible!), and I want to finally win that blasted HM in Texas that I've placed 2nd at all 4 years it has been run. Oh, and run MOAR miles. That goes without saying.
    I'm a big fan of using Stryd to help guide my training. I'm pretty sure there's at least another person or two around here who does the same, but I can't for the life of me remember who. I'd of course be interested in discussing the finer points of power-based run training.

Mileage history:
    2015: 558 (starting from July)
    2016 1,912
    2017: 2,242
    2018: 2,931
    2019: 3,172

Since Dallas I've kicked back into training mode again (starting 12/30), now targeting sub-3 at the Cowtown Marathon on March 1. I'll probably be hitting 75-80mpw training for this, and I'm thinking of this general structure: 2 quality days (Reps or Intervals + Threshold or just between HM and 10k effort repeats) one week w/ ~16 mi LR, 1 quality day (likely threshold) the next with a 20-22 mile LR. or should I perhaps stick with 2 Q days/wk regardless of if I'm doing 20 on the weekend or not?

Last week: 74 miles with 16 mile LR, 12x 400m, and 5x 3:30 I for quality.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Weather - nice RR.  I find the wind to be often harder mentally that it is physically, especially if you're working into it for long stretches.  Nice to be able to hit a big PR and still know you have potential for further improvement given the weather and just how you felt about the race too.  Good to see another Smashrun user on here too!

DPS - ugh that's rough for your wife.  My boss in a previous job got terrible morning sickness too and could barely get out of bed.  Hope she's doing OK.

Me - I had a solid week to start the New Year.  Volume down a little to allow a bit of recovery as my legs were feeling a bit trashed during Xmas week, probably coming off the 5000m race - sometimes I guess your body just knows that racing is over for the year and it's time to slow down for a bit!  I got out before sunrise on New Years Day for some intervals though.  That's one of my Silly Running Traditions.

M: weights

T: 14.5km easy

W: 17km with intervals

T: 14km incl. hills

F: 6km easy

S: 24.1km with steady efforts

S: 10.1km easy

Total: 85.7km / 53.3 mi

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Andres1045

Weather - Loved the report, and I agree with darkwave--hard to say you should have run faster earlier. I also agree that you should look for a bigger race out there with somewhat consistent weather. It was so close to you running in 70+ and humid conditions!

Andres Looking forward to see your results and good luck.  JMAC was right  nothing much doing the final 10 days out.  I have been having an athelete plan out her final 2 weeks (she'll have done the last 4 actually)  and she had 2x 4 Miles on the Saturday 8 days from Houston . I was like NOPE. Redo it we talked about it and she resubmitted her proposed weeks. Nothing you can do to gain fitness but a lot can be done to lose fitness.

So what do you think of his 1T, 2M, 1T, 2M idea? Still too much? Whatever I do, I'd do it Wednesday, which is a full 11 days out.

Upcoming races: Boston

Running Problem

Problem Child

So what do you think of his 1T, 2M, 1T, 2M idea? Still too much? Whatever I do, I'd do it Wednesday, which is a full 11 days out.

I think everyone who has done this workout close to race day has performed well on race day, and not so great for the workout. On paper it doesn't seem like it would be that challenging. One last time to see what surging hard during the race will feel like then throttling back for race pace. 11 day taper.....so pretty much a Hanson's taper instead of the 2-3 weeks like some people enjoy.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

slingrunner

A bit late here, but also wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Dave and I'm from Philadelphia.  40 years old, no kids of my own, but recently moved in with my long term girlfriend and her kids.

After a disappointing Boston 2019, proceeded by an excruciating 3:00:10 in the fall of 2018, I've temporarily given up on road marathons, but I'm focusing more on shorter road races, and longer trail races. My next scheduled race is a trail marathon in the spring.

Currently I'm dealing with a mystery injury.  Seemingly out of nowhere, after a 14ish mile trail run I experienced pain in my upper outer leg.  I think it was due to really tight calves.  It mirrored my previous IT band issues from about 7 years ago, but my normal treatment isn't working.  I've only run 8 miles in the last 2 weeks, and it's hardly getting better.  I'm going a bit stir crazy, so I've just just started  been walking on my treadmill at 15% incline at an 18 minute pace with weights, and that's getting my heartrate up pretty high at least.

I lurk here a decent amount and contribute infrequently.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

So JMac, Slammin and the rest fly 1000s of miles to CIM because there are no easier flat courses in NYC or closer to home. 😂

Weatherboy - Very impressive run and congrats on the AG win!  And running a marathon mostly solo is no joke!

Cinnamon - Great bio and I’m glad you’re going ahead with Barcelona. 👍

Mikkey  My GF chose CIM I didn't but when I raced it I fell in love with the course and the quality of the runners are superior to most races except Boston. I agreed to CIM because it pays $1500 to A standard and 500 to B standard and my goal was to bring 3 of my female runners to OTQ. I brought only one due to my GF being injured. plus its close to Napa my GF is into wines so it made sense to do race then vacation. I know of two faster courses but id be 3rd -5th overall could win money but its a small field its considered fast and a big BQ race but its not California. Why am I doing London, and Berlin when I can do Chicago way cheaper and just as fast? It's about the experience. Last year I hated the course read my race report or recap its not a fast downhill course its rolling all the way down. think of a saw blade teeth. it goes down but you have to climb after every drop. its not an an easy course I was pissed the first year but because it pays the quality of the field is the highest I've seen outside of Boston. I don't normally agree with Cal but I do here.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

I lurk here a decent amount and contribute infrequently.

Yes, I've noticed! New Year's resolution to change that? 

Cinnamon: Thanks for sharing your bio; you really had a rough HS experience. I like your attitude towards racing. Barcelona and Berlin: count me as jealous. Good luck on the interview!

Weather: Really enjoyed your race report. Relax now and have fun on the cruise! I do think you could benefit from a week totally off of running after a marathon. You'll recharge the batteries and come back stronger.

2:52:16 (2018)

paul2432

Hey guys.  I'll be joining this thread as well.  I'm a long time runner, starting in 1993 after college to lose weight.  I didn't start to take it really seriously until 2012.  These forums (really the old RWOL) did a big part in convincing me that regular people do run 60, 70, 80 MPW or more.  I upped my mileage significantly, started following Jack Daniels' training principles and my PRs at the age of 44 all started to drop.  At 51 now I may or may have a few more PRs in me (some of them are soft, so it's possible).

My goal race is the LA Marathon on 3/8/2020.  Not sure goal time yet.  Could be anywhere from 2:50-3:05.  I have a few confounding factors.  1) I ran a 1:28:30 HM on 12/8/2019 which doesn't really indicate a sub-3:00, but I have reasons to believe that time isn't representative (I ran 37:40 10K last June and I think I should be able to get back to that level of fitness by the marathon).  2) I haven't decided yet if I want to buy a pair of Vaporfly.  2:55 is probably good for top 3 in the 50-54 AG at LA so I am leaning towards buying them and I think they should be good for 3-4 minutes based on what people say.  3) I'm running a trail 100K four weeks before the marathon (Sean O'Brien).  I have a "just finish" goal and plan to go super easy, but I know it's not ideal.

Here was my last week (my RA log is public as well):

Sunday - 20 miles trails

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 12.5 miles roads

Wednesday  -  8 miles roads

Thursday - 5.5 miles roads

Friday - 12.8 miles roads with some tempo

Saturday - 10.5 miles roads

Total 69.3 miles

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather - great race report and you should be proud of the time you ran. I don’t think you left anything on the course. In all honesty, it feels like you would have gotten there if you had a pack to run with. I know that running my HM into a 20 mph wind all by myself was as much mentally draining as it was physically draining. Even if you were faced with half of that, it can still be really rough. I’ve always said that I don’t think I need a pack to run with, but CIM actually taught me that that isn’t true. No, I don’t need one for 10 miles, but when you’re struggling in the second half, even latching on to a group for 2-3 miles can be a huge mental reset. You never got that break where you just feel like someone else is doing the work. The marathon is a real mental beast.

Also, I appreciate the shout out in your race report. Us Daniels runners (like Kram) need to stick together 

I think you need two things: at least an entire week off for once in your running life, and to sign up for CIM next year. It’s still a December marathon which is later than most other big ones (Chicago, NYC, Berlin, etc.) so you’ll get some relief from the big work not being in August and September.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

XANAX

XANAX is indicated for the management of anxiety disorders and the short-term relief of symptoms of anxiety in adults. XANAX is also indicated for the treatment of panic disorder in adults with or without a fear of places and situations that might cause panic, helplessness, or embarrassment (agoraphobia).

Xanax is the best brain pain relaxer and now you can buy Xanax from

https://onlinemedscare.com/product-category/buy-xanax-online/

and you can order from call  +1 (786) 802-1504

Note:-  XANAX is not intended for recreational use. There may be serious risks if XANAX is taken by someone for whom it is not prescribed.

Once you start using the medication, the side effects sometimes arise, and they go away in short periods, so there's nothing wrong with that.

Buy Xanax Online:-

Xanax is America's single most prescribed prescription drug; it belongs to the drug class of benzodiazepines. An Alprazolam brand, Xanax is usually prescribed for depression-related anxiety, common anxiety disorder, and panic disorder. The drug is used for the treatment of anxiety disorder which is available in various forms including capsules, tablets, disintegrating tablets, and fluid forms.

weatherboy80

Thanks everyone for the kind words!  I agree and was thinking how beneficial it would have been to try and latch onto somebody at about mile 22-22 when things were going south!

JMac - I forgot to mention that I also think you doing your big training runs and workouts over rolling terrain in Central Park helped immensely produce that fast time at CIM.  Yes I do a lot of heat training at some quick paces, but I don't get much of that turnover on any kind of undulating terrain here (except for my occasional boring bridge repeats).  As for CIM, that may be a great option next year as my wife I and would like take a vacation to California eventually.  Big downside again is that it is early December and we don't even really cool down much, if at all, until early to mid November!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Andres1045

Since Dallas I've kicked back into training mode again (starting 12/30), now targeting sub-3 at the Cowtown Marathon on March 1. I'll probably be hitting 75-80mpw training for this, and I'm thinking of this general structure: 2 quality days (Reps or Intervals + Threshold or just between HM and 10k effort repeats) one week w/ ~16 mi LR, 1 quality day (likely threshold) the next with a 20-22 mile LR. or should I perhaps stick with 2 Q days/wk regardless of if I'm doing 20 on the weekend or not?

Last week: 74 miles with 16 mile LR, 12x 400m, and 5x 3:30 I for quality.

I'm probably the wrong person to chime in here (I don't really know what the difference is between reps and intervals), but I'd ask yourself how comfortable you are with running hard for roughly 3 hours. If you are more or less comfortable with that, then I wouldn't worry so much about the long run, and do the other shorter quality workouts to make "hard" a little faster over the three hours. If you're struggling with the idea of maintaining a solid pace for 3 hours, focus more on the long run. Keep those long run miles higher, and don't just run it all easy. And in that scenario I wouldn't think you'd need two additional quality days in a week. One quality day (I'd probably opt for the HM to 10k stuff) plus a hard long run seems like a good idea.

Andres1045

JMac - I forgot to mention that I also think you doing your big training runs and workouts over rolling terrain in Central Park helped immensely produce that fast time at CIM.  Yes I do a lot of heat training at some quick paces, but I don't get much of that turnover on any kind of undulating terrain here (except for my occasional boring bridge repeats).  As for CIM, that may be a great option next year as my wife I and would like take a vacation to California eventually.  Big downside again is that it is early December and we don't even really cool down much, if at all, until early to mid November!

I'm not sure if this is you talking yourself out of CIM, but I will tell you this. Houston is almost as flat as where you are. There's a very large group of runners here in Houston that insist on doing CIM every year, and run well there every year. There's no doubt that JMac's Central Park runs helped him perform well at CIM. But by no means is that a requirement. (Again, I've never run CIM, so take that for what it's worth).

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather - I agree with Andres's assessment. I do think running in CP made CIM feel like nothing, but I wouldn't say that you're in trouble if you run on flat terrain. I think that Boston is more difficult from a hills perspective (both the downhills and uphills are steeper there), so if you run CIM, you'll be fine. Of course, you decide to run Houston next year instead. Either way, running a Florida marathon after you put in the type of work you do should be off the table next year.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

XANAX

XANAX is indicated for the management of anxiety disorders and the short-term relief of symptoms of anxiety in adults. XANAX is also indicated for the treatment of panic disorder in adults with or without a fear of places and situations that might cause panic, helplessness, or embarrassment (agoraphobia).

Xanax is the best brain pain relaxer and now you can buy Xanax from

https://onlinemedscare.com/product-category/buy-xanax-online/

and you can order from call  +1 (786) 802-1504

Note:-  XANAX is not intended for recreational use. There may be serious risks if XANAX is taken by someone for whom it is not prescribed.

Once you start using the medication, the side effects sometimes arise, and they go away in short periods, so there's nothing wrong with that.

Buy Xanax Online:-

Xanax is America's single most prescribed prescription drug; it belongs to the drug class of benzodiazepines. An Alprazolam brand, Xanax is usually prescribed for depression-related anxiety, common anxiety disorder, and panic disorder. The drug is used for the treatment of anxiety disorder which is available in various forms including capsules, tablets, disintegrating tablets, and fluid forms.

I'm more of a Ketamine fan myself.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22