2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CalBears

OMR - enjoyed reading your report (though it was too short, I would really like to read more Smile.Judging from the photos the course is not that bad - Quicksilver has few long single patches with quite challenging and dangerous rocks, though most (at least half, I would say) of it still pretty wide and very runnable. Come to California next year - Quicksilver, Miwok or Canyons Endurance Run are all 100K courses, challenging but very runnable and I would say not very dangerous. You will have fun for sure (but each those has much ascent though, the least Miwok with its 12K of ascent).

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

@Jmac you will survive running with a kid. Basically you will begin to slowly put on pounds and then realize you don't what a heart attack...so you return to running. And since the kid will have you up at 5 am anyway....waking up at 4 am doesn't seem as much of a sacrifice.  I have it on good authority muggers in NYC are in bed by them. (Me making stuff up base on Once a Runner).

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

OMR

Nimmals:  I assumed you did some sort of strength training.  15.5 hours per week...that's a part-time job!    Regarding you running an ultra, here's a thought.  So, you ran 99.4 miles last week, in 14.5 hours.  Hypothetically speaking, what if you just took six days off from running, and ran those 99.4 miles in one day.  Of course, you'd have to add another 0.6 to make it an even hundred.  Just sayin'.  (It's in your future...you know you want to...accept your reality..."And on the 7th day, Nimmals ran.")

Brew:  Yeah, based on his report, you totally had to drag max along (which was your duty).  I know you might say the PJ sightings were a welcome reprieve, but that was probably because you were so highly caffeinated and talking so damn much that having PJ there was a bit of relief.  ;-)  I'm trying to imagine you pacing me, and I'm thinking it would probably be successful on some level because I would 1) want to run as fast as possible to be done with all of your chatter as quickly as possible, 2) tell you to just run ahead of me after which I would quietly (and happily) disappear and get eaten by a wild animal, or 3) kill you because you can't stop talking, and then run from the scene as quickly as possible.  So, there's a 66.6% chance I would PR, depending on my choice.  ...  Joking aside, you got him through that, when he was obviously not in a good place.  Kudos to you for that.

calbears:  Funny story...so when I was taking the photo of what I called the "moderately easy" portion of the second half, a thought went through my head, that if calbears saw this, he would say, "Oh, that's not so bad."  Believe me, it got worse, and I was too crabby to take photos.  And I wasn't trained for "worse," and I know that for someone who can actually train on this stuff, it probably isn't all that bad.  It is a skill that can be learned, one that needs to be learned if one is going to perform well.  As for the length of my report, my ability to write long reports is based on my ability to remember the details of what happened, and while I had a semi-photographic memory in my youth, those days are gone.  Regarding future ultras, I do think of them as opportunities to explore areas of the world that I haven't seen, and while I've visited California a few times (including running the Napa Valley Marathon), I haven't done any trail running there.  Hopefully that will change someday.

DPS:  Ha, loved your perspective on the impact of children on running.  We don't have kids, but our aging cats are very much the same.

Nimmals, Jmac:  We all enter into and opt out of a public forum for our own reasons.  I have learned (and/or have the potential to learn) something about running/training from both of you, so my preference is that you hang out for a while.  But that's just me, and we all have our own reasons for being here in the first place, and reasons to leave.

Nimmals and calbears, I don't know the back story here, but I just skip over some things from time to time.  For me, running (and running forums) are a happy outlet.  It helps keep me centered, because in my real life I have to deal with students with real problems.  For example, last Friday I had a conversation with a student who rather openly (and oddly unemotionally) informed me that she will be missing some of my classes in the upcoming weeks, because she is going to check herself into a mental rehabilitation facility after attempting to commit suicide.  Your quibbles are not why I am here, so I just ignore them.

Ran 3.5 miles at 0% incline today.  My legs were grateful to not have to 1) run uphill, 2) run downhill, or 3) avoid things like rocks, cacti, or other impediments.  Thank you, flat treadmill belt.

Running Problem

Problem Child

omr I sent his story of Drago’s Back to another runner. I also offered my services for his sub 24 attempt. I might be declined based off his side of the story. I remember myself being “not tired” not over caffeinated but again, nutrition is important. Off to watch a movie about dragons back.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey you suprised me completely too. I still hope we can be cool. I don't mind this quickly blowing over between us.

And I was surprised about there being some sort of drama with you and Cal in the old RW Facebook group (which I never joined btw). I don’t ever remember him being negative towards you and has always come across as a genuine guy (in my view anyway). I’m cool and this certainly isn’t my playground and wouldn’t want you or anyone else to leave because of “tensions” in the thread.  Anyway, if I fall on hard times then I hope everyone on here chips in and pays for my trip to Boston next year. 

JMac - No way will you be leaving/stop running after Boston....do you seriously want to become obese by the age of 38?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

The volume on this thread is crazy! I'll try to catch up...

DPS: Great job getting in the work even on little sleep. I sometimes wonder what it would have been like if I was running back when our son was a baby; tougher in some ways but maybe being fit would have helped overall.

Cinnamon: I promise to be careful and try not to get injured! That sucks about the ex and the long-lasting virus, but your new job situation sounds good (at least the commute sounds great!). Nice looking week as usual.

Cyberic: Nice mileage. I am starting to think I may follow a similar plan to what you are doing; postpone a goal marathon until the fall. I'm not sure I can get into the shape I'd like to be by late April. Marathon training is not something to be rushed.

Kram: Glad to hear the ankle gets better. Smart move to forego the long run. I may take some of Coach JMac's advice and not hammer 20-22 milers every weekend this cycle, maybe every other week with a down week of 14-16. I do wonder if the bigger LRs take a toll in the form of fatigue.

Fishy: You get in nice consistent volume every week. As far as track workouts, I'm thinking 800s sound pretty good for speed (think those are what I'll do tomorrow). Maybe you could try a ladder of 200, 400, 600, 800, and back down with 400 recovery. You can always make it go higher and adjust the recoveries longer/shorter.

Keen: Hope the neck issue resolves; chalk that up to the taper week crazy random niggles.

JMac: Excellent MP run there. I am still cracking up over Piwi's run of 2E + 4.2E + 2E.... as the King of the JD workouts you must have appreciated that!

Nimmals: Nice 100 (almost) mile week. A race at 1 AM; that would be very tough! Middle of the night for me.

Weather: Two great quality runs there. Fingers crossed you get good conditions for the half this weekend!

OMR: Nice job of putting things in perspective. And I can totally see how the treadmill at 0% would feel very nice after 100k on the terrain you just raced!

2:52:16 (2018)

Fishyone

Nimmals, Jmac:  We all enter into and opt out of a public forum for our own reasons.  I have learned (and/or have the potential to learn) something about running/training from both of you, so my preference is that you hang out for a while.  But that's just me, and we all have our own reasons for being here in the first place, and reasons to leave.

+ 1 to this.  Completely agree.  As someone who followed the old RW forums specifically the sub 3 group (some would say lurked ) I took so much information and motivation from reading the weeklies.  I was pleased to find so many of the "old crew" here..... it motivated me to finally participate.   

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

This is my story....I got up over 230 lbs and had to run to get back into shape. Took a year, but now back in the 165-175 range depending of if I had 1 or 2 burritos that day.  I'm 6 feet tall. Nothing wrong with being heavier, my physicals were all fine, but none of my clothes were fitting and I wasn't sleeping at all. Now I sleep hard (unless my little guy decides he doesn't want to sleep). I'll be 36 the day after Grandma's.

JMac - No way will you be leaving/stop running after Boston....do you seriously want to become obese by the age of 38?

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

WHoa!  Apparently I missed a lot.

Sorry for disappearing - the last week before a marathon always seems to be a bit crazy, between getting stuff at work settled, packing, etc.

Here's my past week (now a few days old):

50 miles, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming
                    M: DIY yoga at home and 9 "miles" pool-running.
                    T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 4x1200 in 4:31, 4:28, 4:28, 4:24. Recovery between 2:37 and 2:43. Followed with leg strengthwork and 800 yards recovery swimming.
                    W: DIY yoga, 9 miles very easy (9:00), plus drills and four strides.
                    Th: Upperbody weights, core, and 9 "miles" pool-running.
                    F: 10 miles, including a 5K track tempo in 19:51 (6:26/6:21/7:02 for last 1800). Followed with leg injury prevention work and 750 yards recovery swimming.
                    Sa: DIY yoga and 8 miles very easy (8:51), followed by drills/strides, upper body weights and core.
                    Su: DIY yoga and 12 miles split as first 4 averaging 8:17, last 8 averaging 7:47. Followed with 450 yards recovery swimming.

As for how I feel?  Not as good as I would like.  My Ulcerative Colitis flared a bit this past week - no biggie, just had to go back on the meds briefly.  And....I had some joint pain associated with that.  Then I did a miserable tempo on Friday (I was underdressed for what ended up being very cold conditions - low 20s and very windy).  Was stiff the rest of the weekend, with very tight hamstrings.

I was supposed to do 3-4x800 today, but pushed it back tomorrow to give the hammies one more day.  They do seem to be trending up, so that's good. Just a bit achy now.

The good news is that I still feel much better than I did before Richmond, and this is a faster course with better weather.  No taper ever goes perfectly, so I'm still pretty optimistic.

Will try to catch up more later.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

WHoa!  Apparently I missed a lot.

Sorry for disappearing - the last week before a marathon always seems to be a bit crazy, between getting stuff at work settled, packing, etc.

As for how I feel?  Not as good as I would like.  My Ulcerative Colitis flared a bit this past week - no biggie, just had to go back on the meds briefly.  And....I had some joint pain associated with that.  Then I did a miserable tempo on Friday (I was underdressed for what ended up being very cold conditions - low 20s and very windy).  Was stiff the rest of the weekend, with very tight hamstrings.

The good news is that I still feel much better than I did before Richmond, and this is a faster course with better weather.  No taper ever goes perfectly, so I'm still pretty optimistic.

Will try to catch up more later.

dwave where did I miss what marathon you're running? You running in Atlanta this weekend?  For some reason I assumed you were traveling to root for friends. Hope the UC flare goes away.

keen Is threre really NO tracking for Cowtown? The RTRT app has LAST year available and not this year.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I cannot forget things you said to humiliate and hurt me on purpose for absolutely no f&^%ng reason,

but in my motherland

Well I tried to put it to bed but you seem intent on maintaining a beef. Speaking of in your motherland don't they say Брань на во́роте не ви́снет. Or is it Брань не дым -- глаза не ест.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm\scold me.

I'm sure Vlad is back home going "How you make huge little ego man hurt big Russian man feeling on little computer?? That you cant move past it?? Seems like America makes Russian man soft like curly hair lady man???

You were constantly mean\rude. You don't know me and I don't know you to hate you or not be able to move past  a little head butting on both our parts.  I tried but you spurned me, I hold no ill will then or now and that's why I was willing to chip in. I had no issue with you prior to Boston but some time after that you seem to hold a grudge. Funny thing I didn't even recall you speaking to me you were just there and may have spoke to everyone but me. I can still feel the tension in your words. Calling your training idiotic in a self deprecating way because I said it and bringing up all who support you. How do you know I didn't have support from others too. Man that's ego thinking one is more right than the other we were both wrong you own your mistakes and you move on not say you started it or you were "way way more meaner" as Runners whirled would say. Don't let ego stop you from moving forward in a positive manner.

Mikkey There was no RWOL Facebook beef between him at least not one that sticks in my imagination or recollection.

Brew I apologize for disrupting regular programming but this is important for the good of the thread.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Glad you're feeling better than before Richmond, even if the taper isn't going perfectly. Hopefully the 800s go well tomorrow and everything else clears up by race day.

Brew - I really thought I saw a reference on their website that they were using RTRT again, but it's gone now. There is a Cowtown specific app that will have tracking info, though. I find it interesting that I can find my bib number through that app, but haven't received an actual email regarding it yet.

My neck/back are doing much better after a couple trips to the chiro, and my hamstrings have really loosened up as well. The forecast is trending warmer and windier as time goes on, but overall I'm just ready to race.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

pepperjack

pie man

I was just building up some goodwill so I can call in favors when I finally get around to trying another 'bad idea.'  Currently on the waiting list for both Quicksilver and Never Summer, but not sure I can accept spots on either (too close to Eugene which i'm tentatively going to run hard, and in the middle of season so who knows how beat up i'll be).

Unless it's changed Miwok is a lottery with no waitlist, so you have to be on the ball for that one when registration is open in December.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CalBears

I was just building up some goodwill so I can call in favors when I finally get around to trying another 'bad idea.'  Currently on the waiting list for both Quicksilver and Never Summer, but not sure I can accept spots on either (too close to Eugene which i'm tentatively going to run hard, and in the middle of season so who knows how beat up i'll be).

Unless it's changed Miwok is a lottery with no waitlist, so you have to be on the ball for that one when registration is open in December.

Quicksilver is the race where you can register on a day the registration is opened - you have few hours of no rush to do that. Waiting list is for some reason very dynamic too - I know a person who was 42nd on the waiting list after the race was sold out and he is already in. Miwok is a lottery and has approximately 50/50 chance of getting in. I might try Miwok next year too - I didn't like it first time when I ran it in 2018. The starting 2-3 miles were just pretty ridiculous and the finish in the dark with all those roots was way way too dangerous after you just ran 100K, to my taste at least. But I suspect I was extremely unprepared for that race - even Max passed me by 5 minutes

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

OMR

omr I sent his story of Drago’s Back to another runner. I also offered my services for his sub 24 attempt. I might be declined based off his side of the story. I remember myself being “not tired” not over caffeinated but again, nutrition is important. Off to watch a movie about dragons back.

Ha, I doubt it (you getting declined for that reason).  What's the movie about Dragon's Back?  I might want to watch that.

DPS:  How big are those burritos you are eating?? ;-)  I'm also about 6', but a small frame.  I felt extremely heavy at about 172, and ideal race weight is about 152.  I still have a good 10 pounds to get rid of.

Dwave:  I missed that as well (that you're racing this weekend).  Hope the UC clears up and gives you the rest you need to tear it up this weekend.

Keen:  Looking forward to seeing how things go for you this weekend as well.

PJ:  That (the lotteries) is one of the things I've come to not like about ultras, especially WS qualifiers.  More and more of them sell out so quickly that you have to plan too far in advance.