2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

OMR

Thanks to those who offered thoughts about the article I shared.  I don't want to take away from the normal flow of the thread, so I won't get into it further here.

Keen:  That's an interesting article.  Thanks for sharing.  Good luck this weekend!

Dwave:   Good to hear the hammies are doing better.  Looking forward to hearing how things go this weekend...good luck to you as well!  Regarding the jacket, I would probably like to wear it because it was a celebration of achieving a long term goal, but then others would see me as being pretentious, and I can't handle the internal conflict, so I just leave it in the closet most of the time.  On occasion, I've worn it on the day of the race.

DPS:  Bummer...good luck with the race, hope to see you back in a while.

rovatti:  "Slobberknocker."  That one's new to me.  Wonder if it's even been used in the National Spelling Bee.

Btw, there is a forumite here, name Steve from NY - he doesn't like me either - I think he thinks I am the biggest sandbagger 

me?  or squirrel?

Almost every year, Joey Chestnut sets a new world record for hot dog eating at Coney Island.  (# of hot dogs + buns in 10 min)

2012: 68

2013: 69

2016: 70

2017: 72

2018: 74

I suspect he could've downed over 75 dogs anytime he wanted.

CalBears

me?  or squirrel?

Obviously not you - the worst you called me (until today) was Bubka. Today I got two worse ones - on starts with "k" and another with "s" 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

rovatti:  "Slobberknocker."  That one's new to me. 

It's worse than a donnybrook.

me?  or squirrel?

Almost every year, Joey Chestnut sets a new world record for hot dog eating at Coney Island.  (# of hot dogs + buns in 10 min)

2012: 68

2013: 69

2016: 70

2017: 72

2018: 74

I suspect he could've downed over 75 dogs anytime he wanted.

That is simultaneously amazing and disgusting. 74 hots dogs in 10 minutes. Imagine going for a run after that.

Good luck this weekend DW, Keen and Weather!

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Obviously not you - the worst you called me (until today) was Bubka. Today I got two worse ones - on starts with "k" and another with "s" 

I think King Bear is actually a pretty cool name!  Own it.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Me - I’ve had 5 shockwave therapy sessions from my Osteo/Physio and I think the heel spur is under control now and ready to roll. I’m pretty certain that I’ll go sub 3 at London and then better my time in the fall.

Cal thinks I’ll never beat his PR.  Really???  I’m going to beat his PR at Boston 2021.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fishyone

Regarding the jacket, I would probably like to wear it because it was a celebration of achieving a long term goal, but then others would see me as being pretentious, and I can't handle the internal conflict, so I just leave it in the closet most of the time.  On occasion, I've worn it on the day of the race.

LOL  Between my wife and 2 daughters the only jackets I'm "allowed" to keep for myself are the ones that I actually use for running.  These are my favorites and hidden away.  All others like the Boston jackets are fair game and can usually be found in a pile on someone's floor 

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

For those that follow on Strava, I alluded to the fact that an injury is creeping on me, but I'll include some more here and ask for some input.

I had some posterior tibial tendinitis last winter that knocked me out for about 2 weeks. After taking some down time and focusing on various treatment, it healed pretty well. It does flare up from time to time, where I notice it after a run, and then tape/massage it with success. It's never gone back to actually injured status, more just that feeling of an old injury being cranky.

Last week, I noticed some pain right along my shin bone in the same leg, inside calf, but much higher up (my PTT was bothering me right next to my ankle, where this issue is a good 6 inches higher). It actually died down a bit towards the weekend, and I didn't notice it all, so I thought it was heading in the right direction. However, during my recovery run Sunday, I noticed it again. Ever since then, it's been bothering me. I did get a little worried about a stress reaction, but I don't think that's it: I don't fail the hop test and it tends to bother me a lot more when my foot is flexed and pushing off (or going down stairs), which indicates more of an issue within the calf or tendons supporting it. It's almost like posterior shin splints, but I didn't even think that was possible in more seasoned runners. Either way, it's bothering me.

Usually, I'm pretty good about telling the difference between a niggle and an injury, but this one has me lost. It's definitely bothering me more than a niggle, in the sense that the first mile of any run is usually pretty bad, to the point where my gait is altered. Any sort of altered gait is usually my key signal to shut things down for a bit. However, the fact that this flared up and went away last week while I ran through it made me question whether I should be shutting it down. Additionally, it's more or less stabilized at this point, where it hurts a decent bit in the first mile, and then is just more of an annoyance than anything else during the rest of the run.

If this was earlier on in the cycle, I'd just shut it down for a few days. However, here's my main question: I have a taper for my half marathon starting in about 10 days. There's a decent chance that that period of 4 days with only 17 miles may help a lot. So i'm considering just continuing to run through this and see how it goes over the next 10 days or so.

I wanted to get your thoughts on both a) whether this is stupid and b) how do you determine when it's time to shut it down due to something bothering you vs. just a niggle you can run through, especially as you're getting near a goal race?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

kramrunner

Pretty similar to what I'm dealing with on that side of my ankle, with tendons becoming annoyed right under the ankle bone due to Brevis and Longus acting odd. I'm finding that dual legged calf raises from a flat floor really help to reset/strengthen the entire muscle complex and a tight calf sleeve helps during runs. Pain in the ass.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

For those that follow on Strava, I alluded to the fact that an injury is creeping on me, but I'll include some more here and ask for some input.

I wanted to get your thoughts on both a) whether this is stupid and b) how do you determine when it's time to shut it down due to something bothering you vs. just a niggle you can run through, especially as you're getting near a goal race?

I had Anterior tibial tendinitis my GF had  constantly had Posterior tibial tendinitis both very similar with mine i had to basically fun run Boston one year. If it’s possible, supplement easy runs with a zero runner or alter G. This is one of those things where less is more and none is best.

It’s one of those 2-3 weeks off and its gone completely. I saw someone said treat with ice but I say treat with heat not ice. Ice is good for the onset of an injury once full blown heat is better.  But  ice vs heat is one of those thing like eggs and coffee  (good for you\bad for you).

The first timeIi had no idea what to do so I kept running until it got worse then had to stop completely. It was through my GF I learned how to treat and stave it off. Initially I was sceptical but it works she can be a little extreme but here is how she taught me to stave it off.

Do less, cutting back and treating proactively. If you have workouts do on bike or Zero runner (elliptical).

1. Get those absorbine patches from the dollar store.  Cut it into 2-3 pieces and cover along tendon wear during sleep or on runs.
                        2. Another thing we did was use electro-stimming acupuncture. I can recommend a place in Hicksville for if you are in Massapequa on the weekends.
                        3. Use a gua sha stone. May be a good idea to consult your PT but we got a gua sha stone and spent 15-20 mins rubbing and massaging the area. I'm cheap I bought mine off amazon $15 instead of buying the expensive $70 side kick tool.

Also get a gua sha stone

https://www.amazon.com/AVROX-Bian-Stone-Gua-Tool/dp/B07CYZFK2K/ref=sr_1_28?keywords=gua+sha+stone&qid=1582901539&sr=8-28

Good luck buddy you're going to get through this.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

CalBears

Me - I’ve had 5 shockwave therapy sessions from my Osteo/Physio and I think the heel spur is under control now and ready to roll. I’m pretty certain that I’ll go sub 3 at London and then better my time in the fall.

Cal thinks I’ll never beat his PR.  Really???  I’m going to beat his PR at Boston 2021.

Bwa-ha-ha !!! Boston will chew you up and spit you out young fellow  (How does it sound? Are you scared now?)

Great to hear you have some progress on your issue - I need you 100% healthy so you would not have any excuses. But "under control" sounds a little bit underwhelming - I would prefer word healed or fixed.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I had some posterior tibial tendinitis last winter that knocked me out for about 2 weeks. After taking some down time and focusing on various treatment, it healed pretty well. It does flare up from time to time, where I notice it after a run, and then tape/massage it with success. It's never gone back to actually injured status, more just that feeling of an old injury being cranky.

Last week, I noticed some pain right along my shin bone in the same leg, inside calf, but much higher up (my PTT was bothering me right next to my ankle, where this issue is a good 6 inches higher). It actually died down a bit towards the weekend, and I didn't notice it all, so I thought it was heading in the right direction. However, during my recovery run Sunday, I noticed it again. Ever since then, it's been bothering me. I did get a little worried about a stress reaction, but I don't think that's it: I don't fail the hop test and it tends to bother me a lot more when my foot is flexed and pushing off (or going down stairs), which indicates more of an issue within the calf or tendons supporting it. It's almost like posterior shin splints, but I didn't even think that was possible in more seasoned runners. Either way, it's bothering me.

I got PTT back in 2012 and tbh I never fully recovered from it. My PT thinks that my heel spur is a result of my weak tendon. He noticed that my good right calf is bigger than the problem left and I’m now trying strengthen it!  Try shockwave therapy which has definitely helped me and it won’t impact on your training and will help break down any scar tissue.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWaveNimmals - Good luck this weekend.

JTR - I agree completely - those hot dog records are simultaneously amazing and disgusting.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Bwa-ha-ha !!! Boston will chew you up and spit you out young fellow  (How does it sound? Are you scared now?)

Great to hear you have some progress on your issue - I need you 100% healthy so you would not have any excuses. But "under control" sounds a little bit underwhelming - I would prefer word healed or fixed.

I’m looking forward to Boston because I’ve never run a downhill course before!  There’s a heartbreak hill? Whatever. I will give a masterclass on how to run Boston.