2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

I’ve just washed and polished my old clubs and wondering if there is new gear which is the equivalent of Vaporfly 4%?

I have a set of Calloway Big Bertha irons and my driver is a Cleveland Launcher 400. 9.5 degrees.

I’ll be playing against some of my old rivals and I’m looking for some tips and inspirational quotes. Anybody?

Wasn’t the Big Bertha the original Vaporfly?

And for inspirational quotes, just watch Caddyshack. Be the ball, Danny.

Dave

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

We aren’t allowed to shoot in the UK 

I attended shooting competitions in the UK. The range at Bisley hosted commonwealth games also shot at RMAS. I remember we had all this hoopla about travels because back then there was still the potential of sporadic IRA attacks so we were not to wear uniforms only on garrisons or the range.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wow Mikkey, that's like showing up to the London Marathon wearing a pair of leather spikes.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Wow Mikkey, that's like showing up to the London Marathon wearing a pair of leather spikes.

So let me know what the latest gear is as I’m happy to buy a new set of clubs before tee off. I’ve been practicing my putting on the carpet this afternoon and my stroke is very very smooth with not an inkling of the yips.  My swing has always been amazing and reliable, so no worries.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

So let me know what the latest gear is as I’m happy to buy a new set of clubs before tee off. I’ve been practicing my putting on the carpet this afternoon and my stroke is very very smooth with not an inkling of the yips.  My swing has always been amazing and reliable, so no worries.

See, the problem is that the biggest advancement in equipment is how it's purchased (although the equipment itself is crazy good too). Club fitting for even average Joe's is making a world of difference. I guess maybe that stuff is still occurring in the UK, but here in the US, no way I could go get a club fitting at this point. But I did get one before all this craziness and it was shocking how much variation I was seeing among even all of the new clubs.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve never had club fitting before, so maybe I’ll do that if my golf resurrection goes further than this weekend.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I once hit a bunch of golfballs into a screen at a golf store. I ended up getting a $400+ Nike driver that stayed in the bag as I used my 3 wood and irons.

So I got THAT going for me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

From the Wall Street Journal:

You Can Still Golf During the Coronavirus - Just Rake the Bunkers with Your Feet

And leave the flagstick in. 

Who would have guessed this thing would turn into a golf thread.

Dave

Today there was a sketchy-looking dude on my corner selling N95 masks for cash...   Very few cars on the street...  Difficult to find a cup of coffee to go now...

It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!!!   (...my wife and cats are good too)

7 miles at 9:30pace + pushups for me.

Hope y'all are OK and getting in some fun runs.

OMR

The problem with golf and the Coronavirus is the assumption that you will practice social distancing by staying in your own fairway...

The problem with golf and the Coronavirus is the assumption that you will practice social distancing by staying in your own fairway...

Are you a slicer or a hooker?

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’m a drinker. I stay in the cart or wherever I think the fairway is.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

I guess the best way to turn me away from this thread is to start talking about golf 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I guess the best way to turn me away from this thread is to start talking about golf 

Don't worry, NYS is closing all non-essential businesses so I won't be golfing any time soon!

OMR

Yes.    I played a lot of golf back in the day; wasn't a long ball hitter, but pretty accurate, mostly with a slight fade, and had some ability to control the ball when needed.  I gave up golf a few years ago, in part because running was taking up my free time, and in part because the courses around here got too crowded.  I'm not a fan of hitting a ball or finishing a hole and then waiting 10 minutes for the group in front of you to get out of the way.  (When we first moved here, I could be on the course between 6 and 7am and get a round finished in less than 3 hours.)  Anyhow, now I'm a hacker, and who knows which way my balls are headed!