2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CalBears

No no no, extenuating circumstances, plus you’re not in your 30s, plus you’re not targeting a fast marathon time. Very, very different. You get my A+ approval: running is going to be the only thing keeping us sane, if they allow us out the door. If that means 120 miles, go for it. Plus you train for ultras. But if you come back after all of this is over and say you’re ramping up to 500 miles a month just to break 3:00 in a marathon, then yes, I will scold you 

Not sure what you mean by saying I am not targeting a fast marathon - I actually would like to target as a fast marathon as I am able to do Smile. Not sure how fast it is going to be but the way I like to do it - if I ran 2:59:XX time, I can positively try to run the next one faster - maybe like a minute or two faster. I obviously not targeting just sub 3 off a high mileage training as I already ran sub 3 in December - so, definitely looking for a better time - my conservative goal is sub 2:55 this coming December (if, hopefully, we are out of lockdown by then) - that would be a Moose Mug time for me, which I think is pretty good. Or, we we get out of lockdown earlier and I have an opportunity to run a race before December, then all those target will be based on my results from a latest marathon. But certainly faster than sub 3 as sub 3 is not exciting anymore after CIM 2019 (and considering the training I am putting in).

I’ve never considered myself a true runner or lover of the sport....it’s the races and challenging myself that motivates me.

Well, you are not alone Smile I am so lazy deep inside that ideally I would prefer to lay down and just watch some documentary or good show/movie/soccer game. The main reason I go out and run is because I know that is the only way to be prepared to destroy you at some point, if not in Boston, then somewhere else. I only know one way to achieve that - is to run a lot, mostly slow, because fast gets us injured and then we lose time. If there was some magic trick allowing me not to run, I would use it but I do not know any, so, I stupidly go and do the simplest thing - run. It was already told many times that running is a very simple sport - the more you put in the better the output you can expect. There are some anomalies there - for example, to run sub 2:40 somebody like kayry needs to train consistently at 60 mpw, not more. He is my age but if I train at 60 mpw, the fastest I can dream of would be sub 3. You and I seem to be more similar, though looks like you also need to run less miles than me to produce equal results. That's why I have no choice but to run more than you.

Of course running has few other benefits for me and those also play a role why I am running to some degree even at the worst times - much better and healthier sleep, some weight control, no heartburn/acid reflux, no headaches/migraines (which are happening when I am not running) - I would say those reasons alone are pretty worthwhile. Some people are saying something about running for sanity - not sure about that, but spending time away from my better half even for couple of hours a day definitely helps to have that sanity under better control 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Don't worry, NYS is closing all non-essential businesses so I won't be golfing any time soon!

The list of non-essential businesses is smaller than the list of essential. Apparently it is essential for liquor stores to stay open. Also fast food restaurants. Gotta get that soda tax money. 4,400 cases of COVID-19 and we still need our beer and take out/delivery services. How could anyone survive making their own food at home?

EDIT: I say this as TESLA has chosen to continue operating while Panasonic has shut down. At least the employees in California will stop working on Monday. I mean....they've already had big problems with their employer.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

On letsrun: and interesting post from Renato Canova on covid in Kenya (2nd post on thread).

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The list of non-essential businesses is smaller than the list of essential. Apparently it is essential for liquor stores to stay open.

Have you ever been on an airplane during a long ground stop, when they roll out the free drinks?  Same theory, perhaps.

. Also fast food restaurants. Gotta get that soda tax money. 4,400 cases of COVID-19 and we still need our beer and take out/delivery services. How could anyone survive making their own food at home?

I think that was a move to give some restaurants a chance to at least maintain some income coming in.  Also, essential personnel need to eat while on the job, and may not have the time/ability to bring food from home.

rovatti- that is very interesting.  We are all colored by our past histories, and the US has gotten off fairly easy with most pandemics over the past century, save the AIDS crisis.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Apparently it is essential for liquor stores to stay open. 

Well everything’s state by state, but at least in PA where liquor stores are state controlled, they are closed. How many states still have “liquor stores” anyway? You just buy liquor at the grocery store or drugstore or gas station, all of which will remain open.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Well everything’s state by state, but at least in PA where liquor stores are state controlled, they are closed. How many states still have “liquor stores” anyway? You just buy liquor at the grocery store or drugstore or gas station, all of which will remain open.

Can't do that in most parts ofo Maryland, but my county fast tracked legislation to allow liquor stores & bars to deliver. Gotta somehow get those St Patrick's Day sales.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Well, you are not alone Smile I am so lazy deep inside that ideally I would prefer to lay down and just watch some documentary or good show/movie/soccer game. The main reason I go out and run is because I know that is the only way to be prepared to destroy you at some point, if not in Boston, then somewhere else. I only know one way to achieve that - is to run a lot, mostly slow, because fast gets us injured and then we lose time. If there was some magic trick allowing me not to run, I would use it but I do not know any, so, I stupidly go and do the simplest thing - run. It was already told many times that running is a very simple sport - the more you put in the better the output you can expect. There are some anomalies there - for example, to run sub 2:40 somebody like kayry needs to train consistently at 60 mpw, not more. He is my age but if I train at 60 mpw, the fastest I can dream of would be sub 3. You and I seem to be more similar, though looks like you also need to run less miles than me to produce equal results. That's why I have no choice but to run more than you.

Of course running has few other benefits for me and those also play a role why I am running to some degree even at the worst times - much better and healthier sleep, some weight control, no heartburn/acid reflux, no headaches/migraines (which are happening when I am not running) - I would say those reasons alone are pretty worthwhile. Some people are saying something about running for sanity - not sure about that, but spending time away from my better half even for couple of hours a day definitely helps to have that sanity under better control 

I had better success with just higher mileage in the first 3/4 years of my running stint, but it got to the stage where I wanted to change things up and started adding strength training to my schedule from 2016 onwards with less mileage/ a bit more quality and think it has worked well. It’s a fine balance getting the training just right without getting injured!  I also feel healthier/more energy when I train more....and some non runners just don’t understand how that works. 

My gym membership came to an abrupt freeze last night and I never even got a chance to say goodbye to my favourite treadmill .  but at least I’ve got enough home gym equipment to get by. I could always join my wife’s outdoor Zumba classes if I get bored.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Me - well, not what a regular race week would look like but on Monday I thought I might be racing the Albany Lakes 10k on Sunday, then that got cancelled, then on Thursday I found out I managed to sneak a late entry to NZ 10,000m Champs on Saturday, so go figure.  For those wondering why that event managed to go ahead when everything else is getting postponed or cancelled... it's such a small event now (only 23 runners across all Senior and Masters grades!) that they host it within the final Athletics Auckland track and field meet of the season.  It's been shuffled around a bunch of places on the calendar and so it's just never been a focus for most athletes.

M: weights, 8.2km easy

T: 15km with steady efforts

W: 13.1km with hills

T: 14.8km with short intervals

F: weights

S: 12.9km incl NZ 10,000m Champs (PR: 32:34, 1st Masters Male)

S: 16.1km easy

Total: 80.0km

My wife asked me in the car on the way home how I was going to manage my training with no races in the near future.  I think I'll probably keep it pretty steady... the reality is that I want to be ready when stuff starts happening again!  Probably no crazy big weeks but the improvement in my 10,000m time in just 4 months shows that there's still improvement to be had from just keeping mileage steady and consistent.  It's weird not knowing exactly what race is next, but assuming things get to something like normal in the next 2-3 months, it'll be NZ Road Race Champs in September, followed by Rotorua Marathon / NZ Marathon Champs.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Hey Mark-

Nice job on the race.  Impressed that you all got one last one in.  Masters is 35+ in NZ right?  Regardless, that is a great time and a crushing time.  Well done!

Still getting caught up with the reading.  I'm working in in a homeless shelter here for the next 8 hours, so I'll have lots of time to kill as everyone is pretty quiet during this COVID business.  Guys in the shelter (44) in 2000 sq ft sharing one bathroom and they almost all have health issues are pretty stressed out, but coping well.  Fortunately our local gov't coughed up the cash and we have put all of our elderly homeless (60+) in hotels for the foreseeable future to minimize their risk exposure.  We have Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer and gloves, but no protective gear and everyone in close quarters, so we as staff are less than thrilled to be making <$15 per hour. End of rant.

I will end up with about 89 on the week

M 16-Mar 9.04 1:10:24 Very slow. Very tired from little one waking up all night. No motivation as I realized that I likely won't race all spring.
                        4.42 0:31:28 Easy w/ 6x 100m strides. Feeling a little better.
                    Tu 17-Mar 11.45 1:16:46 8 x 1k @ 5:45-5:55/mi w/ 0.25mi recovery (2mi w/u & 2mi c/d) averaged 3:38 per k, so right on 5:50 pace. ran on the track with alex. fastest 3:36 slowest 3:41
                    W 18-Mar 9 1:07:06 Easy w/ 6x 100m strides
                    Th 19-Mar 12 1:22:06 8mi @ 6:15/mi (2mi w/u & 2mi c/d) This went horrible. It was mid 30's and rainy. Was over dressed so the water just soaked into my clothes and felt like I was running with 5 lbs of clothes on. 6:16, 6:21, 6;32, 6:27, 6:26, 6:34 before i called it. Ran 2 miles at 7:00 and then the final 2. My ribs hurt and just couldn't catch my breath. First workout that just fell apart since october, so i guess i was due
                    F 20-Mar 6 0:43:40 Got it done.
                        7.06 0:49:38 Easy w/ 6x 100m strides...daily double
                    Sa 21-Mar 12.05 1:28:28 moved long run to Sunday since i have a shelter shift today
                    Su 22-Mar 18 xxxxxx 6:50 pace goal....will knock this out tomorrow with my dog

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CalBears

Marky_Mark - you are lucky_mark, dog Smile - manage to have authorized races in these crazy times! Congrats on your super impressive PR! Though I really confused, in a good sense - how is it possible to PR by 41 !!! seconds in 10K??? I had marathons where I PR-ed by 3-10 seconds - how is possible to PR in 10K by 41? Totally crazy Smile

DPS - your dog is capable to run 18 miles at 6:50 pace? What kind of dog is it? I never thought it's possible...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

DPS - your dog is capable to run 18 miles at 6:50 pace? What kind of dog is it? I never thought it's possible...

Neither did I and hope the dog doesn’t suffer during the run. Is this a new thing to post your week before you actually finish your week?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Is this a new thing to post your week before you actually finish your week?

Everything is in flux - why not this?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

She is a vizsla.  Runners world recently said they are the top or near top of long distance running dogs.  She can just crush miles.  They can just go and go.  Yeah. I posted early because I'm bored at work.  Also cause I'm doing my long run then going to visit my parents in Wisconsin up north with no internet.  So I likely won't be back on the boards until middle of next week with work and life and all.  Trying to keep up with posts again, but the board moves pretty fast and things are 10x crazier right now.

But point well taken, Mikey.  Put up before you start posting is a good rule in general.  Anyway, hope everyone is doing well.

I see a lot of bumming about canceled races which is a camp that I am in.  Minor benefit is that I'm not doing my daily commute of 30-40 minutes in the car, so that is an hour of my life I have back each day which is nice.  I'm 10% hopeful that summer races will be held, but we'll see.  I see lots of calls for pushing back the Olympics which sucks, but makes sense because people have to be able to know when they are racing trials and have time to run qualifying races.  From a logistics point you can't have an Olympics if people to even have a chance to make it into the trials.

That said, when races can reopen, I think we will see some crazy fast stuff as people go all Once a Runner and just hole up and crush miles.

Side note, we are currently planning (at my local gov't where I work) until October as a minimum to deal with people who cannot pay rent, mortgages, and/or currently homeless.  In the more suburban/rural area where I work, most of our homeless are doubled up with people, but if they start getting pushed back out to the streets out of fear or because they cannot feed and extra mouth...things could get real grim fast with people getting exposed and then walking around all day.  And the only open buildings are hospitals and grocery stores for them to pass the time.  Not what you want.  So for anyone thinking these closure are over reacting, on the gov't side we are prepping for this to get really really bad.  Hopefully we end up being wrong.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Is this a new thing to post your week before you actually finish your week?

I’m going to use that strategy for writing my next race report. Assuming races exist in the future.

MTA: back to the golf analogy - for DPS, 18 miles at 6:50 is a gimme like a 2-inch putt.

MTA2: that dog just LOOKS like a runner.

Dave

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Love it. to be fair...it is my goal.  I'll take anything sub 7 average.  going to do 6 mile loops on a relatively flat loop around a lake.

I’m going to use that strategy for writing my next race report. Assuming races exist in the future.

MTA: back to the golf analogy - for DPS, 18 miles at 6:50 is a gimme like a 2-inch putt.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k