2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m going to use that strategy for writing my next race report. Assuming races exist in the future.

MTA: back to the golf analogy - for DPS, 18 miles at 6:50 is a gimme like a 2-inch putt.

MTA2: that dog just LOOKS like a runner.

Absolutely agree that he can knock out great runs, but it’s all about race day (for me anyway)....maybe he’s a Swim?...maybe he’s a JMac?  It’ll probably take a while to find out now. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Seriously.  For runners who like a dog obsessed with snuggling every minute you are home, vizslas are the way to go.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Cal - it was a 10,000m PB by about 20 seconds (last one was 32:58) - my 10k road time is a little slower (33:15).  But still quite a big PB considering the previous one was only 4 months ago.  Put in a lot of miles since then though.

DPS - hang in there, man.  You're right on the front lines of all of this.  Also your dog looks amazing!

RR is up over in the sub-1:30 thread if anyone is keen.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Mark, time for that footnote update.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Mark, time for that footnote update.

Yes, yes it is.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Cyberic

Confinement is getting tighter every day, but I can still run. Past 3 weeks I ran 88, 80 and 65 miles. Ran 20 miles last Sunday, then the measures became tighter and I had a little dip in motivation at the beginning of the week, but now I'm back at it. Found a stretch of wide sidewalk where I can do 600m reps on, and even if there's people on it, it's wide enough that there's no proximity issue. I can also go on the F1 track, and it is pretty deserted if I go early enough. It is about 4.5 miles to get to the track, but it's a nice warmup and cooldown. Pretty soon I'll start running the mountain again, as snow and ice are going to melt at some point.

I plan to be in good shape for my fall marathon.

Resident Historian

She is a vizsla.  Runners world recently said they are the top or near top of long distance running dogs.  She can just crush miles.  They can just go and go....

Oh yeah, that dog can run! Forever. A running-group friend had one -- he was like velcro when running too -- but if off leash he'd sprint out-and-back ahead of us 'cause we were moving too slowly (back when my long runs were a 7:30-ish).

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

My week:

Mon - 8 with Mona Fartlek

Tue - 10 MLR

Wed - 6 easy

Thu - 2x2k + 2x1k + 2x400

Fri - 6 easy

Sat - 13 MLR

Total - 58 miles

Comments:

- First full week post-marathon cancellation. Main thing is to cut back on LR/MLR distances; keeping some speed work to stave off boredom. I guess this is about where I’ll settle in mileage-wise.

- The paces on the weekly Mona have been getting ever so slightly faster, as measured by total distance covered over the 20 min workout. It has been creeping up a couple hundredths each time, to 2.98 miles this week. I guess I need to try to hit 3.

- The Thursday workout is one I have not done before, got it from a fellow forum member who happens to be coached by someone here. It’s a precursor to a 4x2k. Anyway, I crushed it. I planned on something like 10k pace of 6:45, but ended up with 6:27, 6:28, 6:26, 6:25, and (I was told to hammer the 400s) 6:00, 5:57. I think my body really wants to be racing.

- Per that last point, my average pace for the week was 7:59. I virtually never, ever go sub-8 for a week; my average for the year is around 8:15.

Dave

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Cyberic- nice week. I too am struggling with motivation especially since after a few runs in shorts it got cold again.

Longboat- yea, if off leash, she will run loops around me even at sub 7 pace. Only bad thing is any interval or fartlek she cannot handle pace changes....she starts dragging behind me on the fast parts and dragging me during the slow parts.

Way to crush the workout dave.

Got in the long run (6:47 average) on Strava: https://strava.app.link/P0nFpm4E44

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

cinnamon girl

FLY: good to hear you're back running strong by the sounds of it - stick around and share your training

Mikkey: re: Berlin got it, thanks.

Dave: i like that workout. Who's the forum member and coach?

alcohol: if you want to see ERs and hospitals flooded with even more patients, restrict access to alcohol.

M: 40 min (8:52)
                      T: 10 mi (8:37)
                      W: 6 mi (8:23)
                      T: 10 mi w/12 x 400 (1:24) with 400 rec (2:10-2:15)
                      F: 70 min (8:14)
                      S: 10.6 mi (8:08)
                      S: 16 mi (7:57)

65.6 miles. I decided to cut Monday’s easy run short because the footing was bad everywhere after the snow over the weekend and I almost fell a couple times. One near fall would have made a great video clip! Tuesday was a little better. Weather got better as the week went on and today’s long run was near 60 deg.

virus: I’ve checked with my local hospital to see if I can help out. Knowing how much the ERs and hospitals are overwhelmed, it doesn’t feel right to not offer. I have a Monday through Friday clinic day job now, so I'm going to help out on the weekends.

CalBears

Marky_Mark - congrats on a PR again! You probably will be the last one for awhile who ran an official race.

Cyberic - great mileage consistency. I plan to be in good shape by fall marathons too. Hope there will be a marathon season.

DPS - impressive pace for all the workouts. Great ability to follow on plan and run that LR at sub 6:50. But even more impressive to discover there are dogs who can run LRs at that pace Smile

JMac - congrats on certified half PR! Cannot imagine running time trial and have that huge PR! I also have a question for you - since the message you said I am not targeting a fast marathon, I can't stop thinking - can you tell me what would you consider a fast marathon for me in my situation? Really need to know 

Comments:

- First full week post-marathon cancellation. Main thing is to cut back on LR/MLR distances; keeping some speed work to stave off boredom. I guess this is about where I’ll settle in mileage-wise.

This is so funny... Totally opposite of my reaction - my first thought when I learned about cancellations of all marathons and ultras - I don't need to be concerned about workouts and running ascents (which is really taxing on my legs) and can concentrate on mileage finally - because I know how big the payout could be (with time of course) Smile

So, I concentrated on mileage and had my biggest week since Aug 2016. Really happy with the outcome and with the fact that the body held really well. I actually felt kind of better by the end of the week than I felt at its beginning. Plus, I had a great opportunity to have my idiotic type of training at its best 

Mon - 12.6 @9:31 - AM / 5 @8:18 PM

Tue - 13.6 @9:24 - AM / 5 @8:18 PM

Wed - 13.6 @9:08 - AM / 5.1 @9:06 - PM

Thu - 13.6 @8:58 - AM / 6.0 @8:54 - PM

Fri - 13.6 @9:12 - AM / 6.0 @9:04 - PM

Sat - 13.6 @8:39 - AM / 5.0 @9:12 - PM

Sun - 13.6 @8:30 - AM / 5.3 @8:47 - PM

===

Total: 132.1 miles

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DPS - I love that you ran nearly exactly what you said even though you released your week early. Well done.

Cyber - sounds like you have a good set up for social isolation. Things are obviously tough here in NYC right now.

Dave - if your body is ready to race, you may need to get ready for a TT in this world.

Cinnamon - serious props for volunteering. I saw in NY that Cuomo asked retired healthcare workers to come back and work for free, and thousands have. I cannot believe the dedication these people have, many who are in that high risk older age group.

Cal - thank you! I think you missed my joke: I was saying that my “unimpressed” comment was for someone who runs 500 miles per month and couldn’t break a MM+2 minutes. That’s why I was saying the equivalent would be for you to train 500 miles per month just to break 3:00. The point was: you’re obviously much better than that and you’re running 500+ specifically because you will go get a MM if you do consistently! So basically that’s your goal: if you’re running 500 MPW, you better get a MM 

Me - in this crazy world we’re in, especially here in NYC, I was really down and out at the end of last week, knowing that not only was my entire goal to “retire” this spring season was gone, but also that the city I’ve lived in for 15 years now is about to (as of 7 days ago) head into crisis. We’re there now. The media already is laying out, but I have a friend working in the NYC hospital system and it’s worse than most people know. With those two concepts in mind, I decided I needed something to look forward to. I didn’t want to feel like this spring season was a complete waste of time, as I doubt I’ll be running a lot this fall, plus maintain some sense of “normalcy” in this world.

I will detail a lot more in my race report, but I spent this week finding a USATF certified course that would work for a half marathon time trial, as I didn’t want to just run something off of GPS if I could avoid it. I was able to find one and ran it this morning. I’ve never run a time trial in my life, but if there was ever a time to run one, it was now.

I ended up running a 1:15:28, a PR of 37 seconds! It was just so rough, but I’m so glad I ended up running it. I will link the race report once I write it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

This is so funny... Totally opposite of my reaction - my first thought when I learned about cancellations of all marathons and ultras - I don't need to be concerned about workouts and running ascents (which is really taxing on my legs) and can concentrate on mileage finally - because I know how big the payout could be (with time of course) Smile

Ha. My decision had nothing to do with what might pay off, but just what I’d rather be doing. I have a tougher time getting motivated by a ton of easy miles. Running fast is more fun than running slow.

But holy crap those miles.

Dave

Dave - if your body is ready to race, you may need to get ready for a TT in this world.

I will detail a lot more in my race report, but I spent this week finding a USATF certified course that would work for a half marathon time trial, as I didn’t want to just run something off of GPS if I could avoid it. I was able to find one and ran it this morning. I’ve never run a time trial in my life, but if there was ever a time to run one, it was now.

I ended up running a 1:15:28, a PR of 37 seconds! It was just so rough, but I’m so glad I ended up running it. I will link the race report once I write it.

Thinking about it! Congrats on yours!! Look forward to the race report; I think it’s gotta be so tough mentally, especially for that long a distance, assuming you can even find a suitable course. Right now I’m only thinking about it for a short distance, like either 1 mile or 5k on a track.

Dave

cinnamon girl

Wonderful JMac! I wonder if your emotions around the current situation may have helped you run so strong and push through. Thoughts are out there for you and your city - I hope the resiliency and determination of NYC and it's people, once again, surmounts yet another onslaught. And I'm not volunteering. I mean, I probably would, but I don't think that's the expectation currently. I've yet to say this - but since you might be retiring and disappear - congrats on the upcoming new addition    Priorities do change significantly but in a good way (of course). Running will always be there. Looking forward to reading your report.