2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

+1 for the Air Relax.   I've gotten my money's worth out of them.

Brewing - IMHO, you don't do hill repeats to get better at running hills (training regularly in a hilly locale is what gets you better at hills).  You do hill repeats to ingrain good running form and power, and strengthen your body.  There's a benefit to hill repeats at the start of a training cycle for a flat marathon.

As for me and Houston, as Andres noted, I'm a bit questionable (I'd give myself 75% odds of showing up).  My left hamstring cramped up in the first rep of my Tuesday track workout (I think the immediate trigger was running in a big pack, and having to brake to avoid stepping on someone else).  So I pulled up and did the walk of shame home.

It's been a bit touchy ever since.  I got in to see my PT on Wednesday, and he dry needled it and gave me some rehab exercises, and I'm going to check in again with him next Wednesday.  Running easy seems fine on it, and it improves each day.  I did try some uphill strides today, and while it wasn't painful per se, it didn't feel ready for fast running yet.  It's certainly progressing fast enough that running Houston is still on the table.  However, if I think there's a significant risk of doing damage at Houston, then I'll just skip it.  My plane tickets are on Southwest, so I can just cancel the trip and not be out any money.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also - I agree with Nimmals point on hill sprints.  I personally distinguish between hill  sprints (5-7 seconds HARD - do all year round), hill  strides (just like normal strides, but uphill to encourage better form), and hill repeats (60 seconds plus, done early in a cycle)

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave Interesting.

Hope the hamstring heals up. This isn't a result from the car crash is it?

Andres This one?

Mikkey I've really looked into buying those. I'm not sure why I haven't.

nimmals What is the benefit of the 7-10 second burst?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Andres1045

DW - I hope things clear up in time.

Brew - I went with the older "medcursor" one. I don't really remember why I chose that one, but it was probably a quick look to see what had the most reviews/stars, or something like that. I didn't do all that much research on it. It's worked great so far, but I just have no idea about it's durability. The thing is awesome. A friend of mine had a similar one, but called a different name (probably just a different sticker, same factory). It stopped working, but he was able to open it up and solder a wire back on and works fine now.

Upcoming races: Boston

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Hill sprints are like weight training for distance runners. It builds lower body strength, it use creatine phosphates for energy similar to if you were weight lifting. It taps into both the ATP and Anearobic systems. The reason you keep it short is the phosphates are only used in 7 free seconds. As you see in the chart from earlier so if the exercise needs to tap the ATP system more than 8-12 seconds you are now in the anearobic system and the idea is to hit the phosphate.  It recovers rapidly usually in 90 seconds to 3 minutes. So thats why I suggest walking down the hill to the same start  point waiting at least 90 seconds.  I start my runners at 90 then eventually to 75.  The system engages for 7 seconds. Humans can only accelerate for 7 seconds so no need to run more than 8-12.  After 12 is kind of speed maintaining ast you are no longer accelerating.  This is done at maximum intensity no less than 95% .

The adaptations that take place is increase type II fibers which are stronger than type 1 fibers thereby drastically reduceing your risk of injury. I do not recommend hill sprints if you have Achilles issues or even plantar.   It's funny some say Hill-sprints are the cause others say they are the cure.

What to do.

- Run at your a near maximum effort.

- For a very short period of time (8-12 seconds)

- on a steep hill (about 6-8% grade - similar to a treadmill incline of 6-8%)

- allow your body to completely recover in between each sprint

- tack them onto the end or middle of an easy run 1 to 2 times per week for maximal results.

I do them 1-2 times a week in mile season. I'm a miler so this workout is a staple.

My garmin Workout

Hill Sprints with 2,4,6 ladder

Send to Device

Warm up - 2.70 mi

Repeat   10 Times

Run - 0.04 mi ( ~80m)

Maximal Effort Sprint

Recover - 01:30 min:sec

Walk down wait for beeps

Recover - 03:15 min:sec

Recovery Jog to Flats for ladder

Run - 0.10 mi

Maximal Effort Sprint

Recover - 0.10 mi

Walk/Jog Recovery

Run - 0.20 mi

Run Hard 800M/Mile speed

Recover - 0.10 mi

Walk/Jog Recovery 

Run - 0.40 mi

Run Hard Mile/3K speed

Recover - 0.10 mi

Walk/Jog Recovery 

Run - 0.20 mi

Run Hard 800M/Mile speed

Recover - 0.10 mi

Walk/Jog Recovery before starting cool down

Run - 0.10 mi

Maximal Effort Sprint

Recover - 0.10 mi

Walk/Jog Recovery before starting cool down

Cool down - 1.00 mi

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

kramrunner

dwave Interesting.

Hope the hamstring heals up. This isn't a result from the car crash is it?

Andres This one?

Mikkey I've really looked into buying those. I'm not sure why I haven't.

My understanding is that it re-charges and can be improved (and your efficiency using it) just like the other energy systems up to whatever your genetic ceiling is. It is for free, i.e., if you burst off the line to get up to speed, you'll use this system and so you are not getting into aerobic etc. debt as long as you ease back and settle in to your trained for race-pace quickly.

I'm feeling like a right old luddite with my tennis ball and foam roller 

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

CalBears

Wow.... You guys are so advanced! I've never heard of Normatec boots or ray guns! I guess I am now for a treat? Will that help with getting more mileage safely out of old legs? 

I also never used tennis ball for any of the recovery/fix issues and used foam roller only maybe a couple of times because I didn't understand what was the benefit of it and and what I am getting out of its usage.... 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

calbears It's quite possible to fill a building with what you don't know. It would be so big it would need a special name. It would be built at the bottom of a hill too. It might include 8mm film recordings of marathons and movies before sound was included with them. I'd call it a library. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

calbears It's quite possible to fill a building with what you don't know. It would be so big it would need a special name. It would be built at the bottom of a hill too. It might include 8mm film recordings of marathons and movies before sound was included with them. I'd call it a library. 

Bwa-ha-ha brew... I guess sub-3 euphoria still has a grip on you... But that's what I like about running - all this crap you are talking about, all these Normatec  boots, ray guns, flying sandals, etc...will make 0% difference by the end of the year - I still will be 19 years older and at least 5 minutes faster (marathon wise) than you 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Bwa-ha-ha brew... I guess sub-3 euphoria still has a grip on you... 

Actually life has gone severely downhill since the magic (high) of CIM has worn off. Took about a month. I need to get it back too. I guess I have a goal for 2020 or 2021. Make Marathons for young people Again. All these BOOMERS out here just doped to the gills somehow magically running sub 3 without space age technology and skimpy short shorts. Getting passed by a guy in basketball shorts is embarrassing. Getting passed by an OLD DUDE in basketball shorts...not happening. No comments about "in order to be passed you must first be ahead" either. I'll not stand for that kind of treatment in MY thread.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

Actually life has gone severely downhill since the magic (high) of CIM has worn off. Took about a month. I need to get it back too. I guess I have a goal for 2020 or 2021. Make Marathons for young people Again. All these BOOMERS out here just doped to the gills somehow magically running sub 3 without space age technology and skimpy short shorts. Getting passed by a guy in basketball shorts is embarrassing. Getting passed by an OLD DUDE in basketball shorts...not happening. No comments about "in order to be passed you must first be ahead" either. I'll not stand for that kind of treatment in MY thread.

Maaaaannn.... brew - I have a bizarre experience with two people on this thread - in different ways but almost with the same results - you and Nimmals. The difference is that when I read Nimmals messages, I can't follow what he is saying. When I read your comments, I have a feeling I follow what you are saying. But at the end, after reading the whole thing, I cannot really understand what you guys are talking about -  I would say, intuitively, I can even understand more what Nimmals is saying because he is mostly talking about running. What you are talking about I have no clue .

DoppleBock

"Old Dude" - Definition please ... I am trying to understand ... wait ... GD ... Not many universes where I am not an old dude(50+).  I will make a mental note to myself: if I happen to When I get into subs 3 shape ... wear basketball shorts - It pisses people off.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

AceHarris

Calbears!!! You’ve put words to my thoughts on brew’s posts for a while now, haha! I’ll read most of it and know what’s going on, but there’s always some 10% that throws me for a loop. Maybe that’s by design? Keeps me coming back nonetheless

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m not sure what’s a worse look....basketball shorts or skimpy short shorts. I’d rather wear my Borat mankini.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I’m not sure what’s a worse look....basketball shorts or skimpy short shorts. I’d rather wear my Borat mankini.

Seems like that would chafe a lot.  And where do you pin your 10-12 gels?

On another note, because I keep neglecting to post this - I really hope your foot improves soon.  I'll be very interested to read about your experiences with shockwave - I've heard some good things about it, but have never had it done myself.