A pothole & a sore ankle (Read 484 times)

In my very first race Sunday, I twisted my ankle in a pot hole at the beginning of the race. Thanks to those great race endorphins, I hardly felt it and finished the race. The rest of the day I was so euphoric about finishing my first race, didn't feel a thing. I love that red bar in my log!!! Monday woke up, my ankle/lower leg area hurt. Didn't think too much of it, figured it was stiff from the race, went to work. As the day progressed it felt worse & worse. I was limping by the end of the day. Today, sore again. It's the muscle just above the ankle joint. It's sort of a gentle achiness just sitting here, and sore when I walk. Like a super-stiff muscle, and then feels really tired when I get back to my desk. So the question... do I run anyway? I've found conflicting information on this website from other similar injuries: Don't run on it, it could injure it more. Run, it's good for the healing process. Stretch. Don't stretch. Ice & heat. Ice only. It's confusing!! It is not swollen, from what I can tell. I've been icing & taking ibuprofen since yesterday. If walking or running would help it heal faster, I'm all for it. But I don't want to injure it further... I've got more races to sign up for!!! Big grin Thanks!

Michelle

Hi Michelle Firstly, great news about your race may it be the first of many. Well it has been 6 days now so I am hoping you are OK and up and running again. However, I have had experience of damaging my ankle a couple of times as I do a lot of off road hill running, trail running and the like and it is a common occurence for me to knock an ankle or shin. Your injury sounds similar to one I had a few weeks back when I was running up a steep gradient and I stumped my foot on a rock, I thought my shin was going to crack it was such a horrible thud and with a few explatives I continued. I continued to the end of the run, a distance of about 6 miles more and felt great apart from some stiffness in the tendons at the base of the shin. It was the next day when I started to feel there was something wrong. I took ibuprofen and just took it gently by taking the weight off it when I could and walked when I needed. It went after a day or so. My running mate came up with a good saying "If it is uncomfortable, you are OK, if it hurts, you are not" Smile I certainly wouldn't do anything if it is visibly swollen and/or bruised, that is natures way of saying no

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily