What foot type do I have for running? (Read 80 times)

dallasfan95

I am looking to buy new running shoes but want to know what type of shoes I should be looking at. I am 22 and have been playing soccer since I was 5 years old so I have always been accustomed to some type of running both on a field and a track/roadways, so I am not really a beginner. But now that I am playing less competitively, I want to start running more frequently and I never really paid attention to the footwear I was wearing, just bought what was comfortable. Anyhow, when I run it feels like the outer portion of my heel slightly strikes first followed by the ball of my foot rolling from outside in slightly. I have done the water foot test and attached a photo. It looks like I am more or less a neutral runner but if anyone could help or give advice, that would be great! Thanks!

Go neutral. Neutral allows your body to do what it does naturally and you look to be neutral anyway.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

yes, neutral.

you have the most common foot contact motion for runners.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Coastal

You have pretty high arches so start with neutral shoes.  I'd advise going to a good local running store (AKA LRS) and take the time to get fitted.  Try running in several different shoes and get the most comfortable pair.  They will probably have you go 1/2 to 1 size larger than your street shoe size.  This will help prevent black toe -- one common cause is the toenails hitting the end of the shoe.  We can't give you advice on a certain shoe because what works for one person may not work for you.