Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

Because what this place needs most is another Goal of X time for Y distance thread.

My story is that in the spring of 2004, after about 4 years of relatively consistent and progressive training and racing, I upped my mileage and had a breakthrough season. One day in May at a local yokel 5K I ran 17 flat. Officially, anyway. The last numbers I saw on the finish clock before I crossed under it were in the 16:5X's and my watch, which I stopped a few meters after the finish line, read 16:59.xx, but the official results said 17:00.00, so there it was. Seriously, point zero, zero. I wish I were kidding. But no worries, I figured. Surely I'd just break 17 at some other 5K that summer or sometime soon. It was a given at that point. A lock. Well, later that summer my running took a left turn and I wound up taking a hiatus from racing and any real training for almost 2 years. When I started back at in in 2006, I'd lost not one step but many, many steps. It took a while and a lot of miles but I'm almost back to where I was.

There were two major pieces of unfinished business from that spring of 2004--a sub 2:50 marathon and a sub 17 5k. I checked off the marathon last October. So here we are. This may all end badly but I figure if I don't give it a serious go this year then I'll only be one year older when I do. Who's with me?

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm in. I don't have the training currently to support it, but I've got the history, and my leg speed hasn't left me yet. I think I can be there by the end of the year.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Last year I tried to go sub-16. I failed. I think you'll get sub-17 this year though, and I'll cheer you on. Maybe you'll be up the coast a bit this Summer and I can race you at one of the local ones up here.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

A Saucy Wench

Well I wont join you but I'll cheer for you. Cause a sub 17 3.8K just doesnt have the same ring.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

flovesparko

I can't believe you just posted this thread as I have been researching for the last three days how to break 17 min for a 5K. I honestly don't know if I can do it but I think I can come close and would at least like to try. I would be happy with 17:10 to 17:15 Last year I wasn't serious about speed and I did 17:45. My goal last year was just to go sub 3 for a marathon. My friends tell me I should be able to and I did beat a woman at that race that normally runs around 17. What I found out is that it's a rare feat for most runners. I wasn't able to find a plan on how to achieve it. I bet you did go under 17 at that race. I usually click my watch a second after the start and I click usually after the line and my time is always slower according to race results. If you have any ideas on workouts let me know. Thanks. Good luck and safe training.
            Chrisnerb

Does a point-to-point 225 foot downhill course count? I that would by my only chance of going sub 17 (did 17:15 last year)? I guess I can always dream of such a time!

2009 Goals: PR's in 5k, 10k, HM, marathon

Mishka-old log

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

4/25/09
                  Right on, dude. I'll catch up with you guts in November.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Oh Mighty Wing

I can't WAIT to watch all this happen!!!
                    C-R

I can't WAIT to watch all this happen!!!
                      I'm with Shan on this one. Hell I can't break 20 yet but this thread will make for some good learning. As long as you speedsters share your successes, failures and why's so us back-o-the-packers can learn a thing or two.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

xor

I'll catch up with you guts in November.
                        That's what I call "leaving it all out on the course". But I doubt it'll stay there for seven months. Me? I'm focused on 19:00-19:15 in the fall. So I shall now lurk here. Ok then.

Nice, we have some takers. And THUNDER hasn't signed his name yet but he's in. So I'm basically running Boston as a means to force me through the winter to build the kind of base I'll need and then the plan is to make a serious attempt between May and July, probably going for the glory in mid-July at a local 5K that I've run a few times and is on a flat, certified, loop course around a lake that I run all the time. That's the current plan anyway.

Runners run

Go for it, Mikey. I've already got my sub-16 5K checked off, so I'm trying to check off the sub-2:50 marathon, and join you there. So...let's both just get our check marks. I'll take the marathon, you take the 5k.

Sack up and run.

Nice, we have some takers. And THUNDER hasn't signed his name yet but he's in. So I'm basically running Boston as a means to force me through the winter to build the kind of base I'll need and then the plan is to make a serious attempt between May and July, probably going for the glory in mid-July at a local 5K that I've run a few times and is on a flat, certified, loop course around a lake that I run all the time. That's the current plan anyway.
                              So what's the training plan for post-Boston to get the leg speed down?

Sack up and run.

So what's the training plan for post-Boston to get the leg speed down?
                                Mostly 1000s and 300s. I'll jump off that bridge in May. Gotta build the house before I pick out the window dressings.

Runners run