Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

Marquess of Utopia

I in for a sub 2:50 marathon and a sub 17 5k. Actually I would be happy with a 2:57:00. I only run one 5k every year so I may take a while, but I ran 17:10 last 4th of July. Good luck everyone!
    So I ran a sub 17 5k for the first time in 8 years today! I knew biased on other races this year wouldn't have a problem doing it. What surprised me today is that I went sub 16... 15:59! Congrats to everyone for setting goals and working towards them!
      What surprised me today is that I want sub 16... 15:59!
      DAMN! 8 Ball

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Perfect day. Found a race. Signed up last minute. 16:58.7. The ugly way (5:17/5:31/5:40). But I'll take any way.
        So I ran a sub 17 5k for the first time in 8 years today! I knew biased on other races this year wouldn't have a problem doing it. What surprised me today is that I went sub 16... 15:59!
        Wow, that is some kick-ass racing gents. Well done!

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Great job, guys!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Not nearly as good a week for me as Mishka and Riggs, but it's good to see guys breaking through 17 and beyond... Week of 4/27: 64 miles: Key workouts: 1. Wednesday: 16 x 200 at 2 mile pace, just trying to get some turnover going after the marathon. 2. Sunday: 14 mile progression run. Next 5k will likely be May 16th if I can fit it in.

Runners run

Mishka-old log

Thanks everyone...and congrats, Riggs! Geez! Way to surprise yourself. You are where I want to be by year's end. I was really happy with my race. I was pretty disappointed with last week. The effort was what I needed it to be, but going after a time goal in that weather, is tough to do. The last mile last week was a coast, and coming up 30 seconds short was pretty disappointing. I saw Saturday's weather looked great, and had to take another shot. It was a perfect day...50 and sunny, slight breeze. I got out too fast, but hung on well and never gave up, despite every part of me wanting to call it a day at 2.5 miles. I did not know at that point how I was getting through another .6.
              Mishka-old log

Next 5k will likely be May 16th if I can fit it in.
                Mikey, any goals? Or just wanting to see where you're at?
                Mishka-old log

Great job, guys!
                  Globule...good call a few weeks back on covering the last 0.1 in 30 seconds. That's exactly what I needed to do! I got to 3.0 in 16:29, and knew I could get it with a really strong finish.
                    Mikey, any goals? Or just wanting to see where you're at?
                    Probably aiming for 17:30 ish--the course looks pretty fast, a couple little hills. I have another 5k that I'm already signed up for on the 24th on a fast course that I know pretty well, so if I don't run on the 16th, I'll be aiming for sub 17:30 on the 24th. If I do run the 16th, I'll fine tune my goal for the 24th based on how it goes on the 16th. The target date for a legit sub 17 attempt right now looks like July 12th.

Runners run

Fantastic efforts, Mishka & Riggs! Riggs, sub 16! Crazy! You are on one hell of a roll at the moment!
                        Can I join this group even though I'm mainly a lurker on these boards? Short version of things - I've been basically doing marathon training for the last 12 months (2:55 at a small marathon in rural Ontario last fall & 2:54 in Tokyo this past March). I just ran a 1:20:00 half about 10 days ago, and I'm ready to start some shorter stuff. My PR in the 5k is 17:47, but that's kind of ancient history now, having run it in Dec 07. I'm basically planning to follow Daniels 5k/10k plan through the summer, with a 5k a month or so to test things out. First 5k race is going to be a small road race put on by Ontario Masters Athletics on May 23rd.
                        Next race: Acura 5k (July 19) Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!
                          Can I join this group even though I'm mainly a lurker on these boards?
                          Absolutely, welcome out of lurkdom and good luck in the quest!

Runners run

joescott

Greetings dudes, Lot of strong runners on this topic. I got up to 4 miles and down to just under 7:30 pace this week. Plus over the last 7 days lost 4 of the 15-ish pounds I put on when I was out after surgery. Chasing you.... Wink

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

flovesparko

Can I join this group even though I'm mainly a lurker on these boards? Short version of things - I've been basically doing marathon training for the last 12 months (2:55 at a small marathon in rural Ontario last fall & 2:54 in Tokyo this past March). I just ran a 1:20:00 half about 10 days ago, and I'm ready to start some shorter stuff. My PR in the 5k is 17:47, but that's kind of ancient history now, having run it in Dec 07. I'm basically planning to follow Daniels 5k/10k plan through the summer, with a 5k a month or so to test things out. First 5k race is going to be a small road race put on by Ontario Masters Athletics on May 23rd.
                              Great job on your last two marathons! My PR for the 5K is the same as yours. I ran it last year. I've have done three 5K's this year. The last two were back to back days this past weekend. The first one was dirt trails so it was slow, ran 18:26 and the second one was 17:58. I've haven't focus on the 5K as I have a marathon in less than two weeks, just racing to try and win my local club series award ( you have to run a certain number of local races). Not the smartest thing to do before a marathon. I don't think I'm capable of going under 17. Sometime after the marathon, I hoping to run around 17:20. Great job Riggs, Pfetro, and Mishka!
                                First week of 5k specific training in the bag. Although, since of was pretty much aerobic base running, it didn't feel all that different from what I've been doing for the past year. Did start with short (15s) hill sprints and form drills though, so that added some fun. 97k (a bit less than 60 miles) in total.
                                Next race: Acura 5k (July 19) Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!